Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 15967 Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm about to take the plunge on a Windows 7 Media Center. It will be a full ATX system for extra PCI express availability (video card, 2 tuners, wireless card). What are your thoughts on the choices so far?

FAIRLY FIRM
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.2GHz
  • Video Card (needed for component): EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • Case: nMedia HTPC 2000B
  • Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM
  • Blue Ray Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L (seems to have some better reviews than the LG)
  • Tuner(s): Avertv MTVHDDUWB HD Duet (White Box)
  • Keyboard IOGear Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R

STILL DECIDING
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
  • PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
  • Wireless Card: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter (Should I consider PCI instead)
  • Remote: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition

Right now I'm at about $750 for the hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 15967 Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstop View Post

I'm about to take the plunge on a Windows 7 Media Center. It will be a full ATX system for extra PCI express availability (video card, 2 tuners, wireless card). What are your thoughts on the choices so far?

FAIRLY FIRM
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Video Card (needed for component): EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • Blue Ray Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L (seems to have some better reviews than the LG)
  • Keyboard IOGear Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R

STILL DECIDING
  • Wireless Card: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter (Should I consider PCI instead)
  • Remote: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition

Interesting. After reading the reviews of the Samsung BluRay drive I think the LG comes out on top. Samsung seems to be too noisy. Can never trust NewEgg reviewers though!
post #993 of 15967 Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

That depends. Do you have a speaker hooked up to the header on the motherboard? Or does your motherboard have one built in?

GA-E350N-USB3 I can't find one built in or a port to connect one.
post #994 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Interesting. After reading the reviews of the Samsung BluRay drive I think the LG comes out on top. Samsung seems to be too noisy. Can never trust NewEgg reviewers though!

The Samsung SH-B123L made the short list based on the following review:
http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/revie...romdvd-writer/

The new Samsung 12x BD-Rom/DVD Writer is nice looking and quiet, and when you combine that with it's small size, it's perfect for HTPC use.

The drive is fast at reading Blu-Rays, at least faster than those I have on hand right now. Yes it didn't hit the rated 12X speed, but that speed is when using a perfect pressed disc, so there's a few reasons it may not have hit the rated speed. I don't fault it too much for not hitting the 12X speed, the other drives in the tests didn't hit their rated speeds either.

And yes (for better or for worse), it seemed to generally have more favorable user reviews.
post #995 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

FAIRLY FIRM

STILL DECIDING

I think you should consider a Core2Duo build. I think you could get a capable CPU and motherboard for about $100 combined. If you are adding the video card anyway there really is no reason that you absolutely need the i3.

I use a core2 CPU with a 5450 video card and it does everything I need it to do.

Edit: Something like this ($57) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128388

and this ($51) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116348

would get the job done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #996 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfoxman View Post

What cpu? If it's a clarkdale, take everything out except for mobo, cpu, hd and ram and connect to mobo just to see if it will post.

Strip back to the bare minimum and get it going, then you can add the rest.

Hey jmrexhau - Did you do this yet? If not try it. Also make sure there are no standoffs or anything that are causing a short.

post #997 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Hiya Assassin, everyone...

Been following here, as I'm gonna be needing to replace my HTPCs around the house, which are mostly first-gen Dell Zinos. The Athlon 2650e/3250e processors just aren't getting it done, and I want a build that has enough processor power to decode a 1080p VC1 rip without stutter. I'd also like to have enough excess horsepower that I don't need to spend countless hours tweaking codecs so that the stars align to play any particular video stream.

I'm sure the i3 builds listed here will fit the bill. There's MORE than enough power available there, and it's definitely the platform of choice... but I'm wondering if another wish of mine could be satisfied at the same time....

All my HTPCs are on 24/7/365, with no sleep mode. The wish: Fanless.

Fanless (with a SDD of course) makes the machine a solid state component. As a long term investment, I can't empashise enough how big of a deal this is. I have one of the first MP3 players that went to market here on my desk (with it's whopping 32 megabytes of storage) and it still works perfectly.

External power supply, fanless CPU, etc... I know there are boards/options out there for this, but are we at the point where I can have that, and still meet my horsepower requirements? If so, it'll be worth the extra money for me, but if I have to choose between the i3 and having power to spare, and some fanless dual core atom setup, where I'm likely to have to work around my processing ability... I'm gonna stick with the i3 all day.

Thoughts? Anyone else here in the same frame of mind?
post #998 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:

I think you should consider a Core2Duo build. I think you could get a capable CPU and motherboard for about $100 combined. If you are adding the video card anyway there really is no reason that you absolutely need the i3.

Interesting thought on going for something a little less expensive. I guess I was leaning towards the i3 / H55 combination because at some point we'll probably upgrade our RPTV (the wife thinks its too big) and move to the land of HDMI via a new flatscreen. I was also thinking that a later generation chip would give me a longer lifespan of the system. The older motherboards don't seem to offer as much PCI express slots either.

My philosophy is that I would rather pay a little more (within reason) up front as I tend be able to keep things going long beyond what others would consider its technical obsolescence. I was considering the Sandy Bridge, but you have swayed my opinion that it doesn't offer enough at this point to wait.

That said, this will be my first computer build and I have only been looking into things for a little over a week. So what do I know?
post #999 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksultan View Post

Hiya Assassin, everyone...

Been following here, as I'm gonna be needing to replace my HTPCs around the house, which are mostly first-gen Dell Zinos. The Athlon 2650e/3250e processors just aren't getting it done, and I want a build that has enough processor power to decode a 1080p VC1 rip without stutter. I'd also like to have enough excess horsepower that I don't need to spend countless hours tweaking codecs so that the stars align to play any particular video stream.

I'm sure the i3 builds listed here will fit the bill. There's MORE than enough power available there, and it's definitely the platform of choice... but I'm wondering if another wish of mine could be satisfied at the same time....

All my HTPCs are on 24/7/365, with no sleep mode. The wish: Fanless.

Fanless (with a SDD of course) makes the machine a solid state component. As a long term investment, I can't empashise enough how big of a deal this is. I have one of the first MP3 players that went to market here on my desk (with it's whopping 32 megabytes of storage) and it still works perfectly.

External power supply, fanless CPU, etc... I know there are boards/options out there for this, but are we at the point where I can have that, and still meet my horsepower requirements? If so, it'll be worth the extra money for me, but if I have to choose between the i3 and having power to spare, and some fanless dual core atom setup, where I'm likely to have to work around my processing ability... I'm gonna stick with the i3 all day.

Thoughts? Anyone else here in the same frame of mind?

I think its going to be difficult to go completely fanless unless your case it out in the open with plenty of airflow. I do think that you can likely go with a fanless CPU (which usually is the noisiest fan) and limit the amount of case fans that you use. Most people have their HTPC in a rack or entertainment center which makes cooling more difficult.

Can you go completely fanless with a powerful CPU like the i3? (as compared to the atom or zacate): Sure.
Will you likely have higher temps and thus likely shorten the life of your components?: IMO the answer is yes.

I think the answer and goal lies somewhere in between.

post #1000 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Interesting thought on going for something a little less expensive. I guess I was leaning towards the i3 / H55 combination because at some point we'll probably upgrade our RPTV (the wife thinks its too big) and move to the land of HDMI via a new flatscreen. I was also thinking that a later generation chip would give me a longer lifespan of the system. The older motherboards don't seem to offer as much PCI express slots either.

In that case I agree with you. If you are going to be upgrading your TV in the future get the i3.

post #1001 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Hey jmrexhau - Did you do this yet? If not try it. Also make sure there are no standoffs or anything that are causing a short.

Yes I unplugged everything except the ram. The AMD E350 comes installed in the GA-350N so I didn't have to do anything there. I get the same no screen, everything sounds like it is working, PSU fan, lights on, CPU fan.
post #1002 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrexhau View Post

Yes I unplugged everything except the ram. The AMD E350 comes installed in the GA-350N so I didn't have to do anything there. I get the same no screen, everything sounds like it is working, PSU fan, lights on, CPU fan.

Have you tried the VGA output yet? I would start there as it might be the default display in bios.

post #1003 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Can you go completely fanless with a powerful CPU like the i3? (as compared to the atom or zacate): Sure.
Will you likely have higher temps and thus likely shorten the life of your components?: IMO the answer is yes.

I think the answer and goal lies somewhere in between.

?

Not sure what you can possibly mean here. If a card/cpu/power supply is fanless, it's pretty much designed to run with smallish to no airflow... forever. That's the spec they build them to. Aside from running it in an oven, ambient temperatures in a case just can't break those thresholds. It's not gonna lower the life of the components... it's going to extend them exponentially, if that's what they were designed for.

So, the i3 is designed to allow for fanless operation?
post #1004 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

?

Not sure what you can possibly mean here. If a card/cpu/power supply is fanless, it's pretty much designed to run with smallish to no airflow... forever. That's the spec they build them to. Aside from running it in an oven, ambient temperatures in a case just can't break those thresholds. It's not gonna lower the life of the components... it's going to extend them exponentially, if that's what they were designed for.

So, the i3 is designed to allow for fanless operation?

Anyone one component may be designed to be fanless but they are still going to put off heat. What I am concerned about it that if you went completely fanless (no CPU, case or PSU fans) then the additive heat may be too much. Any one of those components may be able to go fanless but I would be worried about having absolutely no fans in a case that is tucked away in a rack or entertainment center.

I think it is very feasible to build a system with no CPU or PSU fan. If you have large case fans to create airflow it would be virtually silent.

Edit: If you go this route something like this CPU heatsink is needed...

post #1005 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Anyone one component may be designed to be fanless but they are still going to put off heat.

We're missing each other here.

Yes, I can run a water-cooled i7 with no fan. I can run an old school quad-core pent chip with a breadbox-sized passive heatsink in a room with hurricane winds. Still, neither of those parts was designed to be run in that fashion. Designed is the operative word here. If I'm running the part as designed, I'm within warranty from the manufacturer. More to that point, the manufacturer sets these guidelines so that a very very low percentage of those parts will fail. (they don't want the bad PR, and return/replacement costs).

Again, has anyone made a fanless HTPC with good horsepower? Is the horsepower holding anyone back?

(edit - Interesting sink, but are you guessing, or are you sure that will cool an i3? If the chip fries, will it be covered?)
post #1006 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, I can run a water-cooled i7 with no fan. I can run an old school quad-core pent chip with a breadbox-sized passive heatsink in a room with hurricane winds. Still, neither of those parts was designed to be run in that fashion. Designed is the operative word here. If I'm running the part as designed, I'm within warranty from the manufacturer. More to that point, the manufacturer sets these guidelines so that a very very low percentage of those parts will fail. (they don't want the bad PR, and return/replacement costs).

Again, has anyone made a fanless HTPC with good horsepower? Is the horsepower holding anyone back?

(edit - Interesting sink, but are you guessing, or are you sure that will cool an i3? If the chip fries, will it be covered?)

I'm following you.

This can be done but is going to be expensive. Here is one build from another site...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...ic.php?t=59370

post #1007 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. If you have a case like the Antec NSK2480 which has 2 fans directly next to the CPU heatsink then you can use those fans to cool the CPU.

Obviously though this isn't a completely fanless design.

However I could see where you could go with a fanless CPU and PSU in a case like this and not worry about temps.

post #1008 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM

So here's the bleep of my problem, I took the G-skill PC1333 10666 ram out and put in the Patriot PC1333 10600 in from my other machine. It works, I put the G-skill in my other machine, it works. The problem is the Heat sinks on the Patriot ram are too high. Even more fubar, G-Skill 1 works in slot 1, so does G-Skill 2, G-Skill 1 works in Slot 2, but I can't get both to work at the same time, and yet the Patriot ram does. Ideas anyone?????
post #1009 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Yes. If you have a case like the Antec NSK2480 which has 2 fans directly next to the CPU heatsink then you can use those fans to cool the CPU.

Obviously though this isn't a completely fanless design.

However I could see where you could go with a fanless CPU and PSU in a case like this and not worry about temps.

Funny, that is my exact setup right there. I have a Seasonic fanless PSU (expensive) and that appears to be the same heatsink as mine, Scythe Mini Ninja. I only run the rear side fan, and the switch is set to low speed. I have a 60gb SSD as boot and an 80gb 2.5" drive pulled from my PS3 as my spinny drive. Recordings from MC7 go to the 80gb, then are moved automatically after recording to my WHS. It is a VERY quiet setup and works really well. I've been running this case/heatsink/single-case-fan setup for over 2 years (albeit the majority of the time with the "green" PSU it came with) and never had a problem. The processor is an Intel Pentium E5300. I have an ATI 5450 fanless GPU also.
post #1010 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

I have a Samsung BluRay in one of my systems. It's not loud. It does have a VERY large blue light in the huge eject button, so it's difficult to cover or do anything with. I was able to move it to a case that has the faceplate integrated in the case, so I got it all covered up.
post #1011 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I personally would only attempt fan-less with a low TDP processor like the AMD Zacate boards or Intel i3. As long as your case has good airflow, you can get away with just a couple of small case fans or a couple of slow turning 120mm fans.

Tidy wire runs are super important, it should go without saying....

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #1012 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So here's the bleep of my problem, I took the G-skill PC1333 10666 ram out and put in the Patriot PC1333 10600 in from my other machine. It works, I put the G-skill in my other machine, it works. The problem is the Heat sinks on the Patriot ram are too high. Even more fubar, G-Skill 1 works in slot 1, so does G-Skill 2, G-Skill 1 works in Slot 2, but I can't get both to work at the same time, and yet the Patriot ram does. Ideas anyone?????

That's a weird problem. Seems like its a problem with the RAM.

post #1013 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Quick question, I have a 64 gb crucial ssd and a 30 gb kingston ssd.

I was originally going to use the crucial in my htpc, but am thinking now the 30gb will be plenty for win 7 and the few other programs I will put on it, leaves to 64gb drive for my home pc, which has adobe cs5 on it.

Is 30gb plenty? Assasin, have you any tweaks you perform for win 7(64bit) when you use an ssd, page file stuff etc?

Build:
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 200W Power Supply
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

Jack
post #1014 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjack11 View Post

Quick question, I have a 64 gb crucial ssd and a 30 gb kingston ssd.

I was originally going to use the crucial in my htpc, but am thinking now the 30gb will be plenty for win 7 and the few other programs I will put on it, leaves to 64gb drive for my home pc, which has adobe cs5 on it.

Is 30gb plenty? Assasin, have you any tweaks you perform for win 7(64bit) when you use an ssd, page file stuff etc?

Build:
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 200W Power Supply
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

Jack

After all the updates you will fill up that 30gb pretty easily.

post #1015 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:

That's a weird problem. Seems like its a problem with the RAM.

Except the G-skill ram worked in the other system, and both sticks of Patriot worked in this system. I've put in a request to Gigabyte to see if they have any ideas. I guess I could call G-skill.

Anyone else use the GA-E350N-USB3 board and the G-Skill DDR3-1333 PC3-10666? Please pm me or post (if that's OK) to let me know if you had no or some problems.
post #1016 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Except the G-skill ram worked in the other system, and both sticks of Patriot worked in this system. I've put in a request to Gigabyte to see if they have any ideas. I guess I could call G-skill.

Good point. Its a strange combination of problems.

post #1017 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I have a Samsung BluRay in one of my systems. It's not loud. It does have a VERY large blue light in the huge eject button, so it's difficult to cover or do anything with. I was able to move it to a case that has the faceplate integrated in the case, so I got it all covered up.

Is the blue light always on?
Does it flicker when playing back a BluRay disc?

thanks
post #1018 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Really, I am only using 13gb right now with win 7 premium on a netbook. Not too many extra programs on it though, chrome might be only one.

Thats why I thought 30gb would be fine. Hooked to 1tb green drive for storage,

Are talking about win 7 updates or extra things like shark codecs etc that would fill it up?

Thanks,
Jack

Quote:

After all the updates you will fill up that 30gb pretty easily.

post #1019 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjack11 View Post

Really, I am only using 13gb right now with win 7 premium on a netbook. Not too many extra programs on it though, chrome might be only one.

Thats why I thought 30gb would be fine. Hooked to 1tb green drive for storage,

Are talking about win 7 updates or extra things like shark codecs etc that would fill it up?

Thanks,
Jack

I guess it varies by user. There are some on here that have almost 30GB on there SSDs after they download and install all of the Win7 updates.

If you only have 13gb with your setup then you can probably get by with the 30gb.

post #1020 of 15967 Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM

Great info to have. I will put sp1 on a few computers here and see how much space I have left.

Maybe my netbook is a light install, but I did not do anything different during my install.

Jack
ps I picked up the kingston for $40, could not pass on it at that price...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page