AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#7,221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra92 /forum/post/0

Is S/PDIF generally seen as the best method for getting top notch audio out of the htpc? Ie, is that what you're using in your main htpc as well as that new bedroom one you just completed? Or are you rolling with the analog jacks? Or dedicated card/USB DAC?

I'm assuming one wants S/PDIF on a motherboard for the same reason one likes the GPU in the i3-2100/2105 -- it provides quality without the need for purchasing a separate item that would take up space/airflow inside the case. Is that your take as well, or should I be looking at a better method for extracting FLAC, HD audio, bitstreaming, etc.?

HDMI for audio main, S/PDIF to an analog converter for zone 2 audio since zone 2 only takes analog.

#7,222 ·
I recently purchased the guides to help me build and set-up my first HTPC build. They have been very helpful. However I need help with one aspect that is not covered (that I can tell) from your guides. In fact it has been very difficult to discern conflicting advice from various forums (at least in layman's terms). I'm speaking about being able to output Dolby TrueHD and dts HD master audio uncompressed to powered speakers directly from my HTPC via an analog connection.

Background: Many, many moons ago I setup a fairly high end separates system (Lexicon processor, Amplifier Technologies 6 channel amp and 5 full range Linn speakers - front; B&W surrounds). This setup, being somewhat dated, does not have the capability to decode and playback the newer codecs (not to mention switching HD video). My plan was/is and has been to eliminate the Lexicon processor; build a HTPC that does everything (thereby eliminating the need to switch sources and the need to buy a pre-pro or AVR) and output the video via HDMI to HD TV and decode and output every required audio codec to my amplifier.

To do this I've build an HTPC:

nMedia 5000B case

Asus P8H67-M Evo motherboard

Intel i3 LGA 1155 2100 processor

Crucial 4gb DDR3 RAM

64gb SSD

Seagate green 2tb HDD

Corsair CX430 PSU

Windows 7 64

Mediabrowser

TMT5

All my BDs (about 150) are ripped with DVD Fab to ISO. I did this because it was the quickest (versus to MKV, although I may rethink this) and to retain the original quality. I bought TMT5 to be the player for these ISOs and because I read somewhere that it can decode to LPCM both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD master audio. I have also bought, but have yet to take delivery of an HT Omega Claro Plus soundcard to provide high quality sound.

However, from this point things get a bit complicated... it seems. Things like TMT5 compresses the hd audio down (Power DVD doesn't do DTS HD MA), PAP, Wasio, etc. make this a less than plug-n-play ordeal. Even looking at the sound card, the connections don't seem straight forward (1 out for front, 1 out for center/sub, etc... I would expect a one to one channel for a discrete channel set-up).

Maybe I'm overthinking this (I tend to do that). In any event, would it be possible to get a step by step guide to help accomplish what I'm trying to do? Or failing that is there any advice or direction that you could give?

Thanks.

#7,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by untechnoman /forum/post/20846702

I recently purchased the guides to help me build and set-up my first HTPC build. They have been very helpful. However I need help with one aspect that is not covered (that I can tell) from your guides. In fact it has been very difficult to discern conflicting advice from various forums (at least in layman's terms). I'm speaking about being able to output Dolby TrueHD and dts HD master audio uncompressed to powered speakers directly from my HTPC via an analog connection.

Background: Many, many moons ago I setup a fairly high end separates system (Lexicon processor, Amplifier Technologies 6 channel amp and 5 full range Linn speakers - front; B&W surrounds). This setup, being somewhat dated, does not have the capability to decode and playback the newer codecs (not to mention switching HD video). My plan was/is and has been to eliminate the Lexicon processor; build a HTPC that does everything (thereby eliminating the need to switch sources and the need to buy a pre-pro or AVR) and output the video via HDMI to HD TV and decode and output every required audio codec to my amplifier.

To do this I've build an HTPC:

nMedia 5000B case

Asus P8H67-M Evo motherboard

Intel i3 LGA 1155 2100 processor

Crucial 4gb DDR3 RAM

64gb SSD

Seagate green 2tb HDD

Corsair CX430 PSU

Windows 7 64

Mediabrowser

TMT5

All my BDs (about 150) are ripped with DVD Fab to ISO. I did this because it was the quickest (versus to MKV, although I may rethink this) and to retain the original quality. I bought TMT5 to be the player for these ISOs and because I read somewhere that it can decode to LPCM both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD master audio. I have also bought, but have yet to take delivery of an HT Omega Claro Plus soundcard to provide high quality sound.

However, from this point things get a bit complicated... it seems. Things like TMT5 compresses the hd audio down (Power DVD doesn't do DTS HD MA), PAP, Wasio, etc. make this a less than plug-n-play ordeal. Even looking at the sound card, the connections don't seem straight forward (1 out for front, 1 out for center/sub, etc... I would expect a one to one channel for a discrete channel set-up).

Maybe I'm overthinking this (I tend to do that). In any event, would it be possible to get a step by step guide to help accomplish what I'm trying to do? Or failing that is there any advice or direction that you could give?

Thanks.

Yikes.

I wouldn't know how to give you a guide because I have no way to set this up on my end. I don't connect my HTPC this way (and have never done this, btw) as I just use the HDMI to output to my AV Receiver.

I would think that less than 1% of people are connecting their HTPCs the way that you are. That's not to say that your way won't work but that it is uncommon.

So for me to devote time and resources to be able to test this and provide a guide wouldn't be feasible.

Why can't you output the HD video via HDMI to your HDTV and then use the SPDIF to connect to your DAC for audio? You wouldn't even need the $200 soundcard.

#7,225 ·
SPIDF is great for digital audio, however it doesn't pass (i.e. bitstream) Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio. Only HDMI can bitstream these HD formats.

The only purpose for an AVR or processor is to use as an AV switcher (for multiple sources; blu-ray, cablebox, etc.) and to accept a bitstream HDMI to decode (with the video it recieves) or take the LPCM feed (over HDMI or analog interconnects), usually via a blu-ray player; for amplification.

In my situation, since all my sources (blu-ray player, TV tuner (HD Homerun, I forgot to mention that), music via streaming from my Squeezeserver, etc.) are through my HTPC I have no need to switch sources externally via an AVR. I would think most people who have an HTPC would have their sources similarly configured. The only thing needed is to be able decode and amplify the signal. I have the amplifier. All I need to do is be able to decode the newer Dolby true HD and DTS MA codecs to output to analog and I'm good to go.

I should mention that I'm not a gamer or interested in "simulated" surround.

Again thanks for your response

#7,227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20847043

Windows Media center and my htpc are setup to run at 60fps. Is there a way to get media center to output in the frame rate of the file I'm trying to play? Like for blu ray rips, switch to play at 23.97fps? Am I missign something here?

What are your options in wmc video setup? Is your hdtv 24p capable?

#7,228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by untechnoman /forum/post/20847050

SPIDF is great for digital audio, however it doesn't pass (i.e. bitstream) Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio. Only HDMI can bitstream these HD formats.

The only purpose for an AVR or processor is to use as an AV switcher (for multiple sources; blu-ray, cablebox, etc.) and to accept a bitstream HDMI to decode (with the video it recieves) or take the LPCM feed (over HDMI or analog interconnects), usually via a blu-ray player; for amplification.

In my situation, since all my sources (blu-ray player, TV tuner (HD Homerun, I forgot to mention that), music via streaming from my Squeezeserver, etc.) are through my HTPC I have no need to switch sources externally via an AVR. I would think most people who have an HTPC would have their sources similarly configured. The only thing needed is to be able decode and amplify the signal. I have the amplifier. All I need to do is be able to decode the newer Dolby true HD and DTS MA codecs to output to analog and I'm good to go.

I should mention that I'm not a gamer or interested in "simulated" surround.

Again thanks for your response

You should post your own thread here and at http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23 as there are many who prefer analog output. I googled analog sound card with PAP and there was plenty of info. Most cards are designed to be connected to an AVR. You'll have to separate the sub and center for direct connection. I'm sure there's a splitter.

#7,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra92 /forum/post/20839471

Just a quick heads-up to anyone waiting for any kind of drop to the stubborn $139 pricetag on the i3-2105 CPU with the HD3K graphics... the Egg has a $15 code that brings it down to $124 -- the same price as the i3-2100. Good through 8/24 - nothing earthshattering but every bit helps, especially since the 2105 in particular is pretty much never marked down.

Intel i3-2105 CPU

Supra92

I'm building my second HTPC, the first is around 4 years old so it's too slow. I'm really outdated on computer tech. My question is, and pardon my ignorance, why is that almost everyone here are using an i3 cpu? Is it because something better is overkill for an HTPC? Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.

#7,230 ·
How would the following setup handle 1080p streaming playback from a media server and 1080p television watching?

Motherboard: Asus E-350 Mini-ITX

CPU: Embedded AMD E-350 1.6GHz Dual-Core

GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon HD6310

Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

Storage: Intel 320 40GB SSD & Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

#7,233 ·
Hi All,

My first Post here. I've been trolling this thread for a number of weeks and the guide is great (Kudos to Assassin !).

I about to build a HTPC to do the following:

1) Watch and Rip blu-ray collection to mkv

2) Watch and rip DVD collection

3) play Music collection

4) View family pics/videos etc.

5) Watch youtube (no Hulu/Netflix from Jamaica
)

I'm about to purchase components for my very first HTPC and wanted feedback on the components (below):

Case: SIlverstone LC-13 (already owned)

Motherboard: Intel DH67GDB3

CPU: Intel i3-2100

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W

Hard Disk: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

Blu-Ray Player: LITE-ON 4x Blu-ray Disc SATA Internal Optical Drive iHOS104

Trying to keep cost be $400 (presently at $430
) opinions welcome from all. I am considering using the Intel G620 instead of the I3-2100 but I'm worried whether it can manage the workload.

Secondly I have a question: can I use the Loftek Rii N7 instead of a remote control for the system to be ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/feedback.

#7,234 ·
1Tb isn't going to hold many BluRay rips which are going to be at least 30Gb each. And that hard drive is (unless I misread your intent) going to be holding the operating system, music, DVD rips, etc etc as well.

I'd recommend adding at least one 2Tb drive - the 5400 rpm drives are just fine for holding your ripped DVD's etc. But don't use it as your system drive as it will make things annoyingly slow

#7,236 ·
pirates (all three movies) have English LPCM 5.1 (48 kHz / 24-bit / 6912 kbps)

its impossible to get only the two channels.

YOu cannot bitstream LPCM, actually no reason for doing that. The audio track is already unpacked and uncompressed.

First check your speaker configuration in your soundcard control panel (5.1/7.1) and then see if your AVR supports LPCM audio processing, too.

All the free audio codecs that assassin uses decode LPCM (Both Ffdshow & LAV Audio)

You propably listen only the two Front L/R channels if the sound is weak.

If this problem remains , rip again your movie with the DD track (not recommended)

#7,239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth /forum/post/20849467

1Tb isn't going to hold many BluRay rips which are going to be at least 30Gb each. And that hard drive is (unless I misread your intent) going to be holding the operating system, music, DVD rips, etc etc as well.

I'd recommend adding at least one 2Tb drive - the 5400 rpm drives are just fine for holding your ripped DVD's etc. But don't use it as your system drive as it will make things annoyingly slow

That's exactly my intention , but you make a good point.

Perhaps a 160GB and the 2TB drive you mentioned instead of the 1TB drive ?

#7,240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana /forum/post/20849666

pirates (all three movies) have English LPCM 5.1 (48 kHz / 24-bit / 6912 kbps)

its impossible to get only the two channels.

YOu cannot bitstream LPCM, actually no reason for doing that. The audio track is already unpacked and uncompressed.

First check your speaker configuration in your soundcard control panel (5.1/7.1) and then see if your AVR supports LPCM audio processing, too.

All the free audio codecs that assassin uses decode LPCM (Both Ffdshow & LAV Audio)

You propably listen only the two Front L/R channels if the sound is weak.

If this problem remains , rip again your movie with the DD track (not recommended)

'Pirates' is the only movie I'm having trouble with as the only option is LPCM. Everything else works fine and configured properly, neither the H67 or my AVR are the issue. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA in 5.1 and 7.1 on several titles stream perfectly.

I'll just have to rip again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.