Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 364 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10891 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Starting to receive components for the build...

Just a note to those purchasing the PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400 PS, and the Silverstone GD05 case, you have to remove the left side case fan for install. You may be able to wiggle it in, but just removing 4 screws/fan allows for a scratch free PS! These are perfect for each other
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
I'm planning to connect the HTPC HDMI output of the motherboard to the TV and run the optical directly to the Yamaha receiver. This will allow me to watch TV without the need to turn the receiver on and if I need to watch 5.1, then I simply mute the sound of the TV and power the surround receiver ON.

So about the motherboard:

Do you guys know if this motherboard will output HDMI and "5.1 optical audio" at the same time?
  • GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
post #10893 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I am not aware of any tuner devices for Satellite.

You can use a Colossus capture card but its not going to be exactly the same as the other tuner cards.

See the Colossus thread for more info.

I am new to satellite and tuner cards, sorry. The feeds are in DVBS:

SkyLogic: www . lyngsat . com/eb9a . html

FreeSat: www . lyngsat . com/28east . html

Based on the below, I am going to need a Tuner card for the Freesat, and a set top box to decode the Skylogic (paid subscription):

DVB-S. Digital Video Broadcasting Satellite (DVB-S) is the digital TV broadcasting method that is transmitted by satellite in Europe and other parts of the world. Whether the digital signal is free-to-air or fee-based, Windows Media Center requires a set-top box to support this broadcasting standard. The DVB-S satellite transmission protocol was created by the Digital Video Broadcasting Project, an industry organization that develops technologies for digital TV.

Satellite TV is a TV system in which the signal is transmitted to an orbiting satellite that receives the signal, amplifies it, and then transmits it back to earth. Satellite TV signals are a digital format, although most of the standard televisions in the United States have analog format. To enable playback on an analog TV signal, the satellite TV receiver converts the digital signal into an analog format that a standard television can recognize and play back. There are two digital signal types for satellite TV:

Free-to-air. DVB-S is the primary signal type for free-to-air satellite TV. This type of program content is available around the world and is popular in Europe.

Fee-based. The majority of direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV signals are encrypted, and therefore can only be viewed through a paid subscription. Subscribers receive set-top boxes from their TV providers; the set-top boxes decrypt the signals for encrypted programs. Windows Media Center supports DTH satellite content through the TV provider's set-top box.

Can I get 7MC to show both feeds in the same EPG, and record from both at the same time etc?

Thanks,

Bob.
post #10894 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings View Post

I think there may be something strange with your set up in Nvidia control panel. I've checked mine and the only thing connected is my receiver and no Display. My connections are HDMI from GT440 to Receiver HDMI in and HDMI out from Receiver to Panasonic Plasma. Therefore the GT440 doesn't even know about the Panasonic. You haven't listed out how you're connected so I don't know if your connections are the same but might be worth checking.

I have the same like u HDMI from gt440 to HDMI in and HDMI out from amp to TV...im using as well DVI to VGA in TV due to this issue. But i tried as well something like this : ive switch off PC TV and amp and i leaved just hdmi connection but was the same issue i sow bios startup and booting windows but after when should be loaded desktop the picture go black and was NO SIGNAL on amp...so thats why im using DVI to VGA...even i tried to do in control panel to setup just one main display TX-NR3008 is still problem...only what is good that my amp was recognized cause i see it on control panel...

Ok i found something...i uninstalled drivers and restart PC and without drivers it's working thru HDMI but cause there is no drivers i cant setup resolution etc...but it was working, after installation new beta drivers we coming back to same problem for is looking the VGA controller is taking over the HDMI signal...
post #10895 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM

I have that same case and power supply. I'm planning to build when I have some time this week. Thanks for the heads-up, that's good to know.
post #10896 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post

I have the same like u HDMI from gt440 to HDMI in and HDMI out from amp to TV...im using as well DVI to VGA in TV due to this issue. But i tried as well something like this : ive switch off PC TV and amp and i leaved just hdmi connection but was the same issue i sow bios startup and booting windows but after when should be loaded desktop the picture go black and was NO SIGNAL on amp...so thats why im using DVI to VGA...even i tried to do in control panel to setup just one main display TX-NR3008 is still problem...only what is good that my amp was recognized cause i see it on control panel...

Ok i found something...i uninstalled drivers and restart PC and without drivers it's working thru HDMI but cause there is no drivers i cant setup resolution etc...but it was working, after installation new beta drivers we coming back to same problem for is looking the VGA controller is taking over the HDMI signal...

The fact that you can see bios startup and windows booting should mean that at least the cables are ok but would also seem to indicate that one of your Windows drivers or settings are causing the blank screen. I believe Assassin suggested a different driver. Have you tried rolling back to an earlier driver? Same issue or ....? You also mentioned that another user with the same receiver had reported a similar issue so I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the receiver settings or the way the receiver handles HDMI connections?
post #10897 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings View Post

The fact that you can see bios startup and windows booting should mean that at least the cables are ok but would also seem to indicate that one of your Windows drivers or settings are causing the blank screen. I believe Assassin suggested a different driver. Have you tried rolling back to an earlier driver? Same issue or ....? You also mentioned that another user with the same receiver had reported a similar issue so I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the receiver settings or the way the receiver handles HDMI connections?

I have connected PS3 to my amp and everything is working fine...so i think HDMI connections working like they should

Like i add few minutes ago when i dont have any drivers installed everything work like should i mean i see my desktop and everything but due to this that i have not installed any drivers i cant setup properly resolution...i can install old old drivers from my 7900gs that they are not compatible with gt440...i will try now to install exact same drivers what Assassin suggested me...

OK i've installed another drivers and still the same problem
post #10898 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberguy34 View Post

Starting to receive components for the build...

Just a note to those purchasing the PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400 PS, and the Silverstone GD05 case, you have to remove the left side case fan for install. You may be able to wiggle it in, but just removing 4 screws/fan allows for a scratch free PS! These are perfect for each other

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a great fit! Still waiting for my GD05 to ship.
post #10899 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive View Post

I'm planning to connect the HTPC HDMI output of the motherboard to the TV and run the optical directly to the Yamaha receiver. This will allow me to watch TV without the need to turn the receiver on and if I need to watch 5.1, then I simply mute the sound of the TV and power the surround receiver ON.

So about the motherboard:

Do you guys know if this motherboard will output HDMI and "5.1 optical audio" at the same time?
  • GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

No. You can do HDMI or optical but not both at once. As far as I know anyway.
post #10900 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGeoffries View Post

I am new to satellite and tuner cards, sorry. The feeds are in DVBS:

SkyLogic: www . lyngsat . com/eb9a . html

FreeSat: www . lyngsat . com/28east . html

Based on the below, I am going to need a Tuner card for the Freesat, and a set top box to decode the Skylogic (paid subscription):

DVB-S. Digital Video Broadcasting Satellite (DVB-S) is the digital TV broadcasting method that is transmitted by satellite in Europe and other parts of the world. Whether the digital signal is free-to-air or fee-based, Windows Media Center requires a set-top box to support this broadcasting standard. The DVB-S satellite transmission protocol was created by the Digital Video Broadcasting Project, an industry organization that develops technologies for digital TV.

Satellite TV is a TV system in which the signal is transmitted to an orbiting satellite that receives the signal, amplifies it, and then transmits it back to earth. Satellite TV signals are a digital format, although most of the standard televisions in the United States have analog format. To enable playback on an analog TV signal, the satellite TV receiver converts the digital signal into an analog format that a standard television can recognize and play back. There are two digital signal types for satellite TV:

Free-to-air. DVB-S is the primary signal type for free-to-air satellite TV. This type of program content is available around the world and is popular in Europe.

Fee-based. The majority of direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV signals are encrypted, and therefore can only be viewed through a paid subscription. Subscribers receive set-top boxes from their TV providers; the set-top boxes decrypt the signals for encrypted programs. Windows Media Center supports DTH satellite content through the TV provider's set-top box.

Can I get 7MC to show both feeds in the same EPG, and record from both at the same time etc?

Thanks,

Bob.

Honestly I have no idea as we don't have any of those in the States that I am able to test.

Post your question in the general forum and I am sure someone will help you out.
post #10901 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have connected PS3 to my amp and everything is working fine...so i think HDMI connections working like they should

Like i add few minutes ago when i dont have any drivers installed everything work like should i mean i see my desktop and everything but due to this that i have not installed any drivers i cant setup properly resolution...i can install old old drivers from my 7900gs that they are not compatible with gt440...i will try now to install exact same drivers what Assassin suggested me...

OK i've installed another drivers and still the same problem

I honestly don't know.

As I said I can't help much with XP.
post #10902 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't know.

As I said I can't help much with XP.

So do u think that only way would be to change windows?
post #10903 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So do u think that only way would be to change windows?

Honestly I am not sure. I haven't used XP or XP drivers for NVidia in years.

You might want to try the main forum. I do know for reading threads like this one that the beta drivers seem to fix this issue in Win7. But I have no idea for XP.

Try this (from that thread):
Quote:

Fixed:
Attached a Monitor to the machine. TV OFF
Booted up to Default drivers
Installed the 290.36 BETA drivers
restarted
Monitor comes up fine.
Turned TV on. (Identified as Samsung) Came up as Second monitor
It was on an odd resolution, Set it to 1920x1080 (Running at 60 hz currently)
Then adjusted it for the Bezel via Nvidia's control panel.
set it as Monitor one
worked.

Something to do with the resolution I suppose.

post #10904 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

No. You can do HDMI or optical but not both at once. As far as I know anyway.

This is a bummer... How are you guys splitting the Video+Audio HTPC connection to your TV and receiver. By HDMI splitter?
post #10905 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive View Post

This is a bummer... How are you guys splitting the Video+Audio HTPC connection to your TV and receiver. By HDMI splitter?

If your AV receiver has HDMI (carries both HD Audio and HD Video):
HDMI out from HTPC ---> AV Receiver HDMI in ----> AV Receiver HDMI out to HDTV

If your AV receiver does not have HDMI (cannot do HD Audio this way but can do DTS and DD):
HDMI out from HTPC ---> HDTV (video only)
HTPC optical Out ---> AV Receiver optical in (audio only)

BTW --- I go over all of this in my guides for you in detail.
post #10906 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Honestly I am not sure. I haven't used XP or XP drivers for NVidia in years.

You might want to try the main forum. I do know for reading threads like this one that the beta drivers seem to fix this issue in Win7. But I have no idea for XP.

Try this (from that thread):

Yes but this is about connecting graphic card with tv by hdmi and I dont wanna this way ( will lose HDaudio)...and what i need is to send proper signal to onkyo and from onkyo to TV, im not using monitor.
post #10907 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes but this is about connecting graphic card with tv by hdmi and I dont wanna this way ( will lose HDaudio)...and what i need is to send proper signal to onkyo and from onkyo to TV, im not using monitor.

He used his monitor to setup the resolution for the HDTV which was also connected. Then disconnected his monitor when he was done.

This has everything to do with what you are trying to do.
post #10908 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:

He used his monitor to setup the resolution for the HDTV which was also connected. Then disconnected his monitor when he was done.

This has everything to do with what you are trying to do.

So i had a problem now cause i dont have any monitors at home

And connection DVI--> VGA on tv working fine i can set the resolution up 1920x1080 but can get it working thru amp... will try tomorrow to connect gt440 hdmi out to hdmi in straight to TV

Just for the records...connected gt440 straight to tv hdmi in and we have same problem....
post #10909 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Assassin, I'm currently on guide #2 and have a question about your choice of LAV Filters for media playback. Is this an alternative to something like the Shark007 codec pack I hear people using? If so, will Lav Filters cover most of the common video formats? Thanks!
post #10910 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So i had a problem now cause i dont have any monitors at home

And connection DVI--> VGA on tv working fine i can set the resolution up 1920x1080 but can get it working thru amp... will try tomorrow to connect gt440 hdmi out to hdmi in straight to TV

Just for the records...connected gt440 straight to tv hdmi in and we have same problem....

Right. Because (assuming you have the same problem as the guy I posted above) your HTPC is setting the gt440 at a resolution that either your NVidia or the HDTV does not support. So you connect the monitor via VGA to "remote in" if you will and change the display properties for your AVR or HDTV on the gt440 HDMI output.

I don't know how else to explain it.
post #10911 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrino View Post

Assassin, I'm currently on guide #2 and have a question about your choice of LAV Filters for media playback. Is this an alternative to something like the Shark007 codec pack I hear people using? If so, will Lav Filters cover most of the common video formats? Thanks!

Lav Filters is all you need. It should run all your media. I only had Lav Filters for the first 6 months my HTPC was running. Recently had to install Shark007 Codecs, though, in order to be able to play all media types on my Xbox extenders.

I have to return some video tapes....
post #10912 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrino View Post

Of course. What kind of operation do you think I am running here?

Shark007 is a good pack and I have used it a lot in the past. The LAV solution for me is just much more simple and straightforward. I prefer LAV but there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Shark007 instead. I like simple and I like what works best. For me that's LAV.

FYI Shark now includes LAV in his codec pack.
post #10913 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel View Post

How did you get Media Browser to show up in the Movies menu? Currently mine has its one menu, but it would be nice in the movies menu instead

Yes, yes! How did you get MB in the 'Movies' strip?

post #10914 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

Yes, yes! How did you get MB in the 'Movies' strip?

Probably with Media Center Studio.
post #10915 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Probably with Media Center Studio.

Hmmm.... last time I used MCS it made WMC unstable, and I lost the link to Netflix. Scared to try it again!

post #10916 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM

In addition to shark is there a K-Lite pack? Is that similar? I have a question for you assassin. In the second part of your guide when connecting live tv to WMC, you select antenna. What antenna are you using to get local digital? Thanks.
post #10917 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennybags View Post

In addition to shark is there a K-Lite pack? Is that similar? I have a question for you assassin. In the second part of your guide when connecting live tv to WMC, you select antenna. What antenna are you using to get local digital? Thanks.

I tell you all what codec or codec packs to use. I have been there and done that. I did all this legwork for you. Just follow the guides. They take the guess work out of all of this.

You mean like what model antenna? I don't recall. Check something like antennaweb which can help guide you to the best antenna.
post #10918 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread View Post

That would be greatly appreciated. I should man up and go with the i3 over the i5, but, I'm a pussy and would prefer to be safe. I should pull the trigger this weekend (but, again, I'm a.. nevermind).

I think you may have already picked out your parts, but I did finally do some testing with 3 Xbox360 extenders plus the HTPC all running. Here's what I found:
Running live HDTV on HTPC
Running live HDTV on 1 Xbox360
Running recorded HDTV on 2 Xbox360s
~30% CPU utilization (2 logical cores ~50%, 1 ~10%, 1 ~0%)
2.3GB RAM in use, 4.3GB RAM on standby, 1.1 GB RAM modified, .3 GB Hardware Reserved, .24 GB Free (8GB total)

No sweat.
post #10919 of 15951 Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Any idea where to buy a cheap eHome WMC remote receiver? It's for an HP remote if it matters.
post #10920 of 15951 Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

I think you may have already picked out your parts, but I did finally do some testing with 3 Xbox360 extenders plus the HTPC all running. Here's what I found:
Running live HDTV on HTPC
Running live HDTV on 1 Xbox360
Running recorded HDTV on 2 Xbox360s
~30% CPU utilization (2 logical cores ~50%, 1 ~10%, 1 ~0%)
2.3GB RAM in use, 4.3GB RAM on standby, 1.1 GB RAM modified, .3 GB Hardware Reserved, .24 GB Free (8GB total)

No sweat.

Wow, thank you for testing that.. the i3 is an impressive CPU for any HTPC build. I did already pick out my parts and due to the bundle deal the difference between the i3 and i5 was only about $50 bucks at Micro Center I erred on the side of caution.

But, this gives credence to what Assassin has been saying since... well, page 1. There is no need to go heavier than an i3. I had a feeling MSFT's recommendation was pre Sandy Bridge and could have been outdated.

I and many others appreciate your taking the time to perform that test. I'm off to the city, will check in tomorrow.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page