Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

I think the main advice here is to build the computer to your other needs. In your case for graphic editing I think you'd want a separate video card and get a standard i5/i7. For HTPC use you just need to make sure your video card can do HD audio bit streaming (if that is a need) and of course has HDMI out which you can then hook up to your TV. Otherwise it will be way more powerful then you need for HTPC anyway so no worries there.

I think you hit it on the head,after posting this last night,I googled "sketchup i3" and briefly read some things that seemed to question whether the integrated graphics in the i3 were sufficient for optimal use of sketchup.However none of the info seemed to be from first-hand user experience.

However,the i3 just may work just fine.I'm sure the pocessing power is way more than enough,much more than I am using now.It may require a seperate video card,if I push the program hard(don't push it anywhere near it's capabilities now).I'm not a gamer, and believe me the Sketchup program is not pushing the hardware requirements anywhere near cutting edge gaming.

I don't want to throw another $200 for unnnecessary overkill.But money aside,is there other things that would make the i3 preferable over the i7,like cooler temperatures maybe?Don't need noisy fans subtracting from the HT experience.And again,I'm not trying to cram any of this into a small case,I could go full tower if I need it.

And I guess I kinda fear violating any commandments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Well Patriot RAM is working fine now, Assassin you might want to change the G-Skill DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 reccomendation for the Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 board. F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO is on the recommended list, but it's $60. Thats if you want two modules.
post #1083 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

And? Use the double install method.

Same as a full install.

You can thank me later...

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys have put in to make this great thread, although it is likely going to cost me some money!! The information here is incredible.

Regarding the double install of the Windows 7 family pack upgrade, if one decided to re-install Windows 7 at some later date on the same computer, I assume this would work the same way?

Also, I am wondering why you recommend the 64 bit Windows version over the 32 bit version.

Thanks in advance
Rick
post #1084 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:

That's why I use a stand alone player.

...and considering all of the challenges with the various software solutions, isn't a stand alone player a better way to go if all you want to do is rent and play rather than rip?
post #1085 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Ontario View Post

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys have put in to make this great thread, although it is likely going to cost me some money!! The information here is incredible.

Regarding the double install of the Windows 7 family pack upgrade, if one decided to re-install Windows 7 at some later date on the same computer, I assume this would work the same way?

Also, I am wondering why you recommend the 64 bit Windows version over the 32 bit version.

Thanks in advance
Rick

1. Yes, you can use the double install again to do another clean install as far as I know

2. If you are using all new components then there is little reason not to use 64bit. There was a thread on 32 vs 64 bit a few weeks ago and no one could come up with any software/hardware from 2010/2011 that couldn't operate on a 64 bit system. Benefits are future compatibility as programs move toward 64bit architecture and increased RAM (32bit maxes out at 3.5GB) if you want.
post #1086 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeyus View Post

...and considering all of the challenges with the various software solutions, isn't a stand alone player a better way to go if all you want to do is rent and play rather than rip?

IMO the answer here is yes. Stand alones are cheap (and easy) today.
post #1087 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

IMO the answer here is yes. Stand alones are cheap (and easy) today.

Then whats on your htpc? Downloaded stuff I assume. Not that I have a problem with that just saying a stand alone seems defeat the purpose of all this.
post #1088 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Then whats on your htpc? Downloaded stuff I assume. Not that I have a problem with that just saying a stand alone seems defeat the purpose of all this.

Blu-rays and DVDs that you own and ripped to disk?

IBEW Local 1643
post #1089 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

men... and their toys.

I have a standalone blu-ray player.
I have a Patriot BoxOffice media player.
I have a laptop based on the 460m hdmi chipset
I have my PC/HTPC that I play with. It does it all.

each of these devices connect via hdmi to my onkyo with bitstreamed HD audio and video out via hdmi to my bravia.

For some people, a standalone player may meet their needs.
For others, well some of us, we like to get our hands dirty so to speak, and build our own system(s), to meet our needs... from the motherboard up.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #1090 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeyus View Post

He said rather than rip.

If you want to just play Blurays and that's it then there really is no point of a HTPC.

If you want to rip blurays to your hard drive and play other media types then a HTPC starts to become an option.
post #1091 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

men... and their toys.

For others, well some of us, we like to get our hands dirty so to speak, and build our own system(s), to meet our needs... from the motherboard up.

This.

Full disclosure: I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and haven't turned it on in at least a year.

To me my HTPC is as much a hobby and a toy to tinker with as it is a entertainment device.
post #1092 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrexhau View Post

Well Patriot RAM is working fine now, Assassin you might want to change the G-Skill DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 reccomendation for the Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 board. F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO is on the recommended list, but it's $60. Thats if you want two modules.

That's strange. That G.Skill RAM is 1.35V. I wonder if that has something to do with it. What's your Patriot model number?
post #1093 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:

That's strange. That G.Skill RAM is 1.35V. I wonder if that has something to do with it. What's your Patriot model number?

PGV34G1600ELK $50 with a $10 rebate and free shipping, recommended by your competitor last June/July whenever the last free guide was out. It's actually not on the recommended list, but it's been running great all day.

You and I have combined for 2000 posts here!!
post #1094 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

PGV34G1600ELK $50 with a $10 rebate and free shipping, recommended by your competitor last June/July whenever the last free guide was out. It's actually not on the recommended list, but it's been running great all day.

Your math is a bit off

IBEW Local 1643
post #1095 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

DVR for OTA HD
Downloads
Ripped Blurays/DVDs
Netflix
Hulu
other online streamed content
Video podcasts
I could go on but that's just for starters for what I use an HTPC for and that's before I mention it's also my Bluray player.

Scott
post #1096 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DVR for OTA HD
Downloads
Ripped Blurays/DVDs
Netflix
Hulu
Video podcasts
I could go on but that's just for starters for what I use an HTPC for and that's before I mention it's also my Bluray player.

Yep.

I though I outlined all of this in the first few paragraphs of the very few post. Guessed some people missed that.
post #1097 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

men... and their toys.

I have a standalone blu-ray player.
I have a Patriot BoxOffice media player.
I have a laptop based on the 460m hdmi chipset
I have my PC/HTPC that I play with. It does it all.

each of these devices connect via hdmi to my onkyo with bitstreamed HD audio and video out via hdmi to my bravia.

Oh I love to get my hands dirty. I have an i3, mobo and ram coming tomorrow to replace a perfectly fine e3300 set up.

Quote:

He said rather than rip.

If you want to just play Blurays and that's it then there really is no point of a HTPC.

If you want to rip blurays to your hard drive and play other media types then a HTPC starts to become an option.

It seemed like you said you prefer a stand alone. Thats why I asked.

Quote:

DVR for OTA HD
Downloads
Ripped Blurays/DVDs
Netflix
Hulu
Video podcasts

Wait lol looks like my post got confused. I have multiple htpc's and they do all these things. I wasn't asking what they are for. I will speak clearer next time

Quote:

Yep.

I though I outlined all of this in the first few paragraphs of the very few post. Guessed some people missed that.

Lol I missed the whole "rather then rip" part. Thats what threw this whole thing off.
post #1098 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It seemed like you said you prefer a stand alone. Thats why I asked.

I do for simple playback. If you aren't going to rip your blurays onto your hard drive then there really is no reason to get a bluray drive in your HTPC.

TMT5 is $100 and a Bluray SATA drive is about $50. You can get a very decent bluray for less than that which will be easier to use on a day to day basis.
post #1099 of 15956 Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looks like some nice RAM. The only problem I have with that RAM or the G.Skill Ripjaws in a mini-ITX build is that the fancy heatsink may be too tall in a cramped, tiny ITX case.

I think for that build I might go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231317

I don't have any competition. I don't charge.
post #1100 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:

This.

Full disclosure: I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and haven't turned it on in at least a year.

To me my HTPC is as much a hobby and a toy to tinker with as it is a entertainment device.

/disagree for me.

NOT this. I didn't build and maintain all the HTPCs in my house because I was bored, love hardware, or just need someplace to dump money.

I have an extensive collection of media, and I need/want a top-shelf GUI to access it all. Windows Media Center + Media Browser gives me the interface I want.

If there were a stand alone player with that interface, that I knew I could upgrade with future codecs and interfaces... I'd buy 5 of em in a heartbeat. I don't see that happening anytime soon though, so back to the bench I go...

D
post #1101 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cablemidget View Post

I think you hit it on the head,after posting this last night,I googled "sketchup i3" and briefly read some things that seemed to question whether the integrated graphics in the i3 were sufficient for optimal use of sketchup.However none of the info seemed to be from first-hand user experience.

However,the i3 just may work just fine.I'm sure the pocessing power is way more than enough,much more than I am using now.It may require a seperate video card,if I push the program hard(don't push it anywhere near it's capabilities now).I'm not a gamer, and believe me the Sketchup program is not pushing the hardware requirements anywhere near cutting edge gaming.

I don't want to throw another $200 for unnnecessary overkill.But money aside,is there other things that would make the i3 preferable over the i7,like cooler temperatures maybe?Don't need noisy fans subtracting from the HT experience.And again,I'm not trying to cram any of this into a small case,I could go full tower if I need it.

And I guess I kinda fear violating any commandments.

I just wanted to see if I could get a little guidance on this,it goes along with another post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1077 that outlines my needs.

Since I will want to be doing more with the computer than HTPC I am thinking about going with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor.

What is going to be the negative points of going away from the i3 clarksdale?Is the i5 sandy bridge going to run hotter during normal use and therefore require a lot of fan noise?is the i5 going to be an energy hog?
post #1102 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just wanted to see if I could get a little guidance on this,it goes along with another post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1077 that outlines my needs.

Since I will want to be doing more with the computer than HTPC I am thinking about going with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor.

What is going to be the negative points of going away from the i3 clarksdale?Is the i5 sandy bridge going to run hotter during normal use and therefore require a lot of fan noise?is the i5 going to be an energy hog?

No. The new SB i5 will use about the same amount of power. The SB is a fantastic architecture and I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I just don't know enough about the CPUs and MBs to make any recommendations since they all got recalled. I'm still in a wait and see mode for the SB.

But for you it should be fine. It won't run much hotter - if at all.
post #1103 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:

No. The new SB i5 will use about the same amount of power. The SB is a fantastic architecture and I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I just don't know enough about the CPUs and MBs to make any recommendations since they all got recalled. I'm still in a wait and see mode for the SB.

But for you it should be fine. It won't run much hotter - if at all.

What kind of a power source do you recommend I go with for the i5 SB?
( I need a PSU for an old machine that's gathering dust that I want to fire up anyhow.)
post #1104 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What kind of a power source do you recommend I go with for the i5 SB?
( I need a PSU for an old machine that's gathering dust that I want to fire up anyhow.)

I am a big fan of Corsair PSUs. I would get a low wattage (about 400 watt) PSU which will be plenty for the i5.
post #1105 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

I am a big fan of Corsair PSUs. I would get a low wattage (about 400 watt) PSU which will be plenty for the i5.

The cx430 is $20.Darn...I wanted to spend more.

But then again,it leaves a little room for a donation.I think for your contributions to the happiness of mankind,you should be enriched way more than someone like say,Michael Dell.
post #1106 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The cx430 is $20.Darn...I wanted to spend more.

I have never used that particular PSU.

If you don't mind spending a little more I have used this one and it is excellent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139018

This Antec is also very good for a little less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033
post #1107 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I have never used that particular PSU.

Hold on...how about here? lol
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4702/img5886x.jpg

on page 1.
post #1108 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hold on...how about here? lol
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4702/img5886x.jpg

on page 1.

Huh. Guess I have used it.

I use so many different Corsair PSUs that I sometimes forget.

I guess I have never used one that I haven't liked then. That build in that picture was great btw.
post #1109 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do for simple playback. If you aren't going to rip your blurays onto your hard drive then there really is no reason to get a bluray drive in your HTPC.

TMT5 is $100 and a Bluray SATA drive is about $50. You can get a very decent bluray for less than that which will be easier to use on a day to day basis.

I understand that. But I think most of us here are looking for more then simple playback.
post #1110 of 15956 Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I understand that. But I think most of us here are looking for more then simple playback.

Agreed. So then it makes absolute sense to have a bluray drive in your HTPC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page