Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 372 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11131 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok gent's

I've installed win7 ultimate and my gt440 starts working properly...i have picture via hdmi ( DVI-->VGA looks nicer for me) i have DTS-HD and TRUE HD passtrough to my onkyo...just what i need to do now it's just to use to win7, i will leave my XP on second partition and use as well till i will not configure win7 properly...

Do u have some advice or guides how to setup everything nice for BR movies? like codecs etc??

thanks for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You guys are going to really like this...

cburbs and I have created a Pandora in WMC guide. Very very cool.

Its Guide #82 in total.

Guide 54: Integrating Pandora into WMC

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I know you're busy but a Table of Contents to all the guides in all the tabs is getting to be a neccesity.. Or at least a master list of which guides are in each tab.

Spent the last 2 hours re-doing the table of contents.

Everything (and I mean everything) is now hyperlinked.

Take a look and let me know what you think... LINK
post #11133 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post

Ok gent's

I've installed win7 ultimate and my gt440 starts working properly...i have picture via hdmi ( DVI-->VGA looks nicer for me) i have DTS-HD and TRUE HD passtrough to my onkyo...just what i need to do now it's just to use to win7, i will leave my XP on second partition and use as well till i will not configure win7 properly...

Do u have some advice or guides how to setup everything nice for BR movies? like codecs etc??

thanks for help

Check the guides.

post #11134 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

spent the last 2 hours re-doing the table of contents.

Everything (and i mean everything) is now hyperlinked.

Take a look and let me know what you think... link

thanks!!!

post #11135 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread View Post

I've got the PS in the GD 04, wires dangling over the side... at the mobo (ASRock Z68 Pro3 M) phase (although I have meetings from 11-3 so probably won't open the bag until this evening).

1. cpu into motherboard before or after mounting in case? This is the piece that makes me most nervous.

2. In looking at the mobo manual, there are three fan connectors, and three fans in my case. Two connex are called chassis, one power fan. I assume (oh no!) that you connect the closest ones... I'm just not certain.

BTW: Since this is a hot family of cases right now, build photos in this forum begin on pg 143, nMedia and GD case builds 1/2-2/3 of the way down (page takes some time to load) and there are some other good photos here:

http://ksstudios.com/silverstonegd04-html

Still haven't solved the load OS problem, can't seem to confidently get the OS on a thumb, probably end up doing what several people recommended and pop an optical out of another box (the OS disk is here). But, that is at least two questions away! The cables scare me too.

I have just gone through a build almost identicle to yours. I have a thread up with photos. "HTPC Build Assassin Style"
post #11136 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM

could someone please guide me to a link or explain to me how to unlock the full potential of the WD 3TB HDD. It will only be used for storage as I have an SSD for OS and program files. I also have an ASUS motherboard with UEFI Bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I sw something about it on here, I can't remember where, I guess I should've bookmarked it.
post #11137 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've got the PS in the GD 04, wires dangling over the side... at the mobo (ASRock Z68 Pro3 M) phase (although I have meetings from 11-3 so probably won't open the bag until this evening).

1. cpu into motherboard before or after mounting in case? This is the piece that makes me most nervous.

2. In looking at the mobo manual, there are three fan connectors, and three fans in my case. Two connex are called chassis, one power fan. I assume (oh no!) that you connect the closest ones... I'm just not certain.

BTW: Since this is a hot family of cases right now, build photos in this forum begin on pg 143, nMedia and GD case builds 1/2-2/3 of the way down (page takes some time to load) and there are some other good photos here:

http://ksstudios.com/silverstonegd04-html

Still haven't solved the load OS problem, can't seem to confidently get the OS on a thumb, probably end up doing what several people recommended and pop an optical out of another box (the OS disk is here). But, that is at least two questions away! The cables scare me too.

1) Either is fine. I did mine after the MB was bolted in.
2) I ended up with CPU fan into the CPU connector and 1 fan from each side into the other 2 connectors. The 3rd fan isn't powered up at all. No heat problems for me now.
3) I loaded the OS using a USB attach DVD Rom from an old laptop I had laying around. You can also plug a DVD Rom into the MB temporarily if you want to.
post #11138 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec171 View Post

Thanks guys for the tip on the external hard drives at Staples.

What was the deal ?

Someone tell me I need a drive. I have a 25$ off $100 coupon too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11139 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What was the deal ?

Someone tell me I need a drive. I have a 25$ off $100 coupon too.

It is an HP 2 TB external for $109 less $25.

post #11140 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

You guys are going to really like this...

cburbs and I have created a Pandora in WMC guide. Very very cool.

Its Guide #82 in total.

Guide 54: Integrating Pandora into WMC

Enjoy!

Rock on, bro! Lighter waving in the air!
Ummm, no, don't want any of that home rolled smoke.
post #11141 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It is an HP 2 TB external for $109 less $25.

WD green ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11142 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #11143 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidikron25 View Post

could someone please guide me to a link or explain to me how to unlock the full potential of the WD 3TB HDD. It will only be used for storage as I have an SSD for OS and program files. I also have an ASUS motherboard with UEFI Bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I sw something about it on here, I can't remember where, I guess I should've bookmarked it.

I have the same setup, just an MSI board but still have UEFI. Install your OS to the SSD and boot up go to control panel-->system and security-->administrative tools-->Computer Management. A window will open on the left hand on the bottom click disk management. Open your 3TB hard drive. Right click and format it, make sure you use GUID/NTFS and not MBR. If you want you can make you allocation size 64k to boost your read speeds as well. I don't know how much time it will actually save, but it is inefficiant as far as saving disk space. Although if all your doing is storing 1GB+ movies 64k won't really make splash.
post #11144 of 15951 Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM

I keep getting this message for the past 3 days when I try to log into Assassins guides.
503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
Too many IP addresses accessing one secure area!
Please contact Support if you need assistance.

Any idea how to get around this, I'm trying to set up my computer and can't cause I can't view the guides.
post #11145 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

I have just gone through a build almost identicle to yours. I have a thread up with photos. "HTPC Build Assassin Style"

I could not find your thread. I had to put the build on hold last night, mobo is mounted and all case wires in, no psu, yet.

I can't figure out how to get an SSD and two 3.5" drives into that drive braket. I guess it is somewhat moot right now as I have one 3.5 and one ssd. I put the 3.5 on the 'smaller' side, the side no over the psu and the ssd mounted on the anti vibe (for an ssd??) screws so the power/data connections face one another. Haven't seated or plugged put anything from the PSU in yet... I'm being way too cautious and I hope I don't regret it.

Any comments on how to get 2x 3.5 + 1 x ssd in this bracket? I assume (again!) that one of the 3.5 must go over the psu but the mounting screws don't align.
post #11146 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I keep getting this message for the past 3 days when I try to log into Assassins guides.
503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
Too many IP addresses accessing one secure area!
Please contact Support if you need assistance.

Any idea how to get around this, I'm trying to set up my computer and can't cause I can't view the guides.

The limit is 5 ip addresses per account. I will reset it for you assuming your blog user name is the same as it is here at avs.

Edit: I reset your accout. It said that you had not broken the IP address rule so I am not sure what occurred. In any event it should be fixed.
post #11147 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I could not find your thread. I had to put the build on hold last night, mobo is mounted and all case wires in, no psu, yet.

I can't figure out how to get an SSD and two 3.5" drives into that drive braket. I guess it is somewhat moot right now as I have one 3.5 and one ssd. I put the 3.5 on the 'smaller' side, the side no over the psu and the ssd mounted on the anti vibe (for an ssd??) screws so the power/data connections face one another. Haven't seated or plugged put anything from the PSU in yet... I'm being way too cautious and I hope I don't regret it.

Any comments on how to get 2x 3.5 + 1 x ssd in this bracket? I assume (again!) that one of the 3.5 must go over the psu but the mounting screws don't align.

In the bracket on the left the SSD attaches to the upper bay with the hard drive directly below it.

In the braket on the left side the hard drive attaches in that slot.

This picture should be in your manual.
post #11148 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 06:03 AM

I'm up and running, although did not attach a disk drive (set BIOS up to that point). Nothing is screwed down yet (optical drive arrives Monday or Tuesday, debating on whether to wait or pull one).

I'm glad you clued me into the Molex for fan as apparently I have one of those cases where one fan (in front of PS) is not silent. I'm hoping to hit it in the BIOS, but have the option to lower the V on it too.

If I recall correctly, next, I 'flash' the Crucial drive? Those instructions are in this forum a few pages back (I can't recall, I've jumped around so much). But, 'flash' ssd prior to OS install... I vaguely recall you posting that.
post #11149 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:

In the bracket on the left the SSD attaches to the upper bay with the hard drive directly below it.

In the braket on the left side the hard drive attaches in that slot.

This picture should be in your manual.

Thanks, that picture is in my manual but not nearly as legible as yours. Two of my manuals (case and mobo) have 'bad print jobs'. The print is 'fuzzy' and difficult to read.

That is how I ended up mounting the ssd and the 500GB Seagate Baricuda 'Temp' Drive (that single 'bay'). Hopefully once I get this thing up and running HD prices will come down and I'll pop a second drive in the other side.

That reminds me, do save your HDD case from Staples, you never know when you need one. The one I pulled the Seagate out of is crappy (because the plug goes sideways and hits 3 outlets on a strip, piss me off). But, I've had a couple of occasions where I've wanted to pull data off of one box before installing the drive in another and usb is convenient.

Anyway, I appreciate all your help (to this point!), cuz I wouldn't have done this without this board and your guides... I probably would have let my current rig die (soon, six month to live) and 'moved on' to a cable company box with WAF -4. BTW, the BIOS version on my board is 1.6 and many of the defaults are what you changed to.
post #11150 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Thanks Assassin, I really apprecitate all you do for me and averyone here on the AVS forum and over at your blog.
post #11151 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Pulling the optical out of the 420 requires moving the PS, not gonna happen. I've made the executive decision to wait for the optical arrive (and, I had the same one in my hand a week ago at uCenter for $20 - Oh well). The box is fully together, just no OS... could be a blessing, I should get some stuff done around here and I still have two DCT's running on the 420... give me time to dream about cable management etc.

Oh, btw, all of the help I've received is greatly appreciated, those of you who pushed for modular psu saved me, that might have been the tipping point. Although the two most important things I've learned thus far:

2. The Guides are the best $25 you can spend on the HTPC thing.
1. You can save that $25 by buying a machine directly from The Man. (my co-workers, all computer geeks, think I'm crazy/too old to be putting hardware together from scratch to save a few hundred bucks).
post #11152 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Assassin, I really apprecitate all you do for me and averyone here on the AVS forum and over at your blog.

Happy to help. Just trying to get people into htpc however possible.
post #11153 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pulling the optical out of the 420 requires moving the PS, not gonna happen. I've made the executive decision to wait for the optical arrive (and, I had the same one in my hand a week ago at uCenter for $20 - Oh well). The box is fully together, just no OS... could be a blessing, I should get some stuff done around here and I still have two DCT's running on the 420... give me time to dream about cable management etc.

Can you just run a sata from it to your htpc?
post #11154 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 AM

How to check with what bitrate sound movie is playing cause for example :

When i watch The Dark Night and check properties in MPC-HC its shows me this : Audio: 0x4341 48000Hz 6ch 6912kbps [Audio] so it's ok for TRUE HD, and logo on onkyo3008 shows it's TRUE HD

but when i switch for The Lord of The Rings Fellowship Of The Ring and check properties i have this :
Audio: DTS 48000Hz 6ch 1536kbps [Audio] but it's should be: 4718 kbps so it;s mean that my sound is send as DTS Core but why??? and i have as well logo on my onkyo3008 DTS-HD MASTER so it's ok or not??
post #11155 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Went to buy 2tb hp external hard drive and its back to 159.99....darn!.... guess i wasted 1.85 on a coupon...ooops....
post #11156 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Can you just run a sata from it to your htpc?

I thought about that, but, the hassle associated with getting everything in proximity would require moving so much stuff around, table, the temp htpc monitor... and the longest SATA cable I have is 18"... possible, but a hassle.

Although, if I use the DLP as the 420's monitor and connect the 420's 24" screen to the htpc via DVI... that is a possibility... I've committed to some honey do errands but I'm certainly going to think about that... that might just work... probably won't get a shot until tomorrow as the case has been put back together and everything put away... Good thinking...
post #11157 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM

This weekend will be my first build ever. Paid for the guide and have all my parts. Was very excited to hear that pandora was added for wmc. I had a couple of questions:

1. Does the espn3 work now?

2. Does anyone know if boxee support hulu plus (sister in law bought me a subscription for christmas) or vimeo. If not then I won't add it.
post #11158 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post

This weekend will be my first build ever. Paid for the guide and have all my parts. Was very excited to hear that pandora was added for wmc. I had a couple of questions:

2. Does anyone know if boxee support hulu plus (sister in law bought me a subscription for christmas) or vimeo. If not then I won't add it.

Both of these topics are discussed in the last 10 pages of this thread. I'm in the same boat as you, just building. But, yes on ESPN3 (I don't have it, but there was a bit of a discussion right here in the last week or so). HULU, someone else can give you better info but I saw it on a recent screen shot in this forum, so I would assume yes.

BTW: Windows is installing....
post #11159 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Good luck. Only 347 critical updates left to install.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #11160 of 15951 Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post

1. Yes.

2. You will have to try. Boxee has officially removed all support for desktop PCs. However, I still have the files on the blog that you can use to get it up and running. Please report back if hulu plus works in addition to hulu.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page