AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#7,721 ·
I'm attempting to build my first HTPC, although I've built a gaming PC before. Here's my proposed build list followed by a few noob questions.

Case/PSU Habey 600B $75.56 Newegg product #: N82E16811321014

CPU Sandy Bridge Pentium G620T $82.99 Newegg product #: N82E16819116401

MOBO ASRock H67M-ITX $86.99 Newegg product #: N82E16813157238

RAM G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 $25.99 Newegg product #: N82E16820231253

SSD Crucial M4 64GB SATAIII $94.99 Newegg product #: N82E16820148447

Tuner HDHR3-US $112.99 Newegg product #: N82E16815345007

I know assassin built basically this exact same HTPC a few months ago, so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Here are the questions:

Do I have to use G620T with this case or can I use the G620?

Is the only difference between the i3-2100T and the G620T 3D capability?

Will your basic heat sink RAM fit in this build or do I have to go with the naked RAM above?

If I buy the family pack of Windows 7 upgrades, can I use the double installation technique with a USB stick or do I need an optical drive?

Basically I want to cut the cord and replace the majority of my TV watching with this HTPC. I want to connect the HDHR3 and this HTPC to my network and watch the basics OTA. I want to be able to DVR shows. I might want to use an emulator (NES, SNES, SEGA only).

Eventually I will add a media server to the network to store my TV shows. For now I will store it on my gaming computer's HD or buy an external HD and attach it to my network.

Right now I live in a condo and only have one TV. In the next year I plan on moving into a house and will most likely buy a new TV that is 3D capable. At that point I will move this HTPC to my bedroom and build a new HTPC that is 3D capable. I just want to make sure this build is powerful enough to do what I want until I build the more powerful one.

#7,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox /forum/post/20987841

Hey everyone I installed BAS Skins Manager after installing the Pearl Theme, Cover Art 3.0 and MB Trailers from Media Browser and I have two issues.

One when I try to go into BAS Skins Manager to change a setting a window pops up saying "Could not create required directory". I can't do anything else with the program b/c it closes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and the same thing happens.

Two when I go into MB Configurator to install and use CoverArt (v3.0.1.4) no options come up when I highlight it. To the right there's a paragraph saying it requires Hydra. IS this another program I can download some where and do I have to pay for it? NOTE** I was able to change to the Pearl Theme no problem

Thanks

Judd

I had a similar problem last month with BAS Skind Manager. To get it to work I had to have MEdia Browser Configurator open before starting BAS Skins to not get that error.

#7,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett /forum/post/20988534

For Cover Art, they just barely released 3.0.1.4 ahead of the expected release of Hydra. Hydra is the code-name for the next version of Media Browser that is due out very soon.

Read here for why it's available now.

What you need to do until Hydra is released is go to the plug-ins tab in the Media Browser configurator, go to "More Plug-ins...", and check the box that says "Show All Versions" and use an older version of Cover Art.

I reverted back to the oldest plug in and it worked. Thank you very much for the help. I guess I will check back weekly to see if the Cover Art is selectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 /forum/post/20991483

I had a similar problem last month with BAS Skind Manager. To get it to work I had to have MEdia Browser Configurator open before starting BAS Skins to not get that error.

I tried this. I opened up MBC and then clicked on Bas Skin Manager and I still get the same error. Any further thoughts?

Judd

#7,727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjim /forum/post/20990290

Hey Assassin,

You got a little press time on Tekzilla's weekly blog. Link is http://revision3.com/tekzilla/episodes episode #254, about 20 minutes in, Congrats.

Sweet! Its cool to get recognized outside AVS.

I watched the video and it brought a little tear to my eye.

Great shout out to AVS as well in that video.

#7,728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaltxc /forum/post/20991250

I'm attempting to build my first HTPC, although I've built a gaming PC before. Here's my proposed build list followed by a few noob questions.

Case/PSU Habey 600B $75.56 Newegg product #: N82E16811321014

CPU Sandy Bridge Pentium G620T $82.99 Newegg product #: N82E16819116401

MOBO ASRock H67M-ITX $86.99 Newegg product #: N82E16813157238

RAM G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 $25.99 Newegg product #: N82E16820231253

SSD Crucial M4 64GB SATAIII $94.99 Newegg product #: N82E16820148447

Tuner HDHR3-US $112.99 Newegg product #: N82E16815345007

I know assassin built basically this exact same HTPC a few months ago, so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Here are the questions:

Do I have to use G620T with this case or can I use the G620?

Is the only difference between the i3-2100T and the G620T 3D capability?

Will your basic heat sink RAM fit in this build or do I have to go with the naked RAM above?

If I buy the family pack of Windows 7 upgrades, can I use the double installation technique with a USB stick or do I need an optical drive?

Basically I want to cut the cord and replace the majority of my TV watching with this HTPC. I want to connect the HDHR3 and this HTPC to my network and watch the basics OTA. I want to be able to DVR shows. I might want to use an emulator (NES, SNES, SEGA only).

Eventually I will add a media server to the network to store my TV shows. For now I will store it on my gaming computer's HD or buy an external HD and attach it to my network.

Right now I live in a condo and only have one TV. In the next year I plan on moving into a house and will most likely buy a new TV that is 3D capable. At that point I will move this HTPC to my bedroom and build a new HTPC that is 3D capable. I just want to make sure this build is powerful enough to do what I want until I build the more powerful one.

Having used the Habey case on my bedroom build I can't say that I fully recommend it. The materials that they use are excellent but the cooling design is pathetic. They really need to have a slotted or mesh lid to the system. The heat end up getting caught inside the cramped case with no where to go.

I would recommend something with a little better active cooling if you want to go that small. Otherwise you are going to be stuck with a loud CPU cooler as it is going to fire up full speed to try to cool the system.

#7,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk /forum/post/20993197

I am still having trouble getting the LAV audio decoder to work. ffdshow continues to be used, is there a way to force LAV as the default for media?

Did you get a discrete video card? Does your AV receiver support the HD Audio that you are bitstreaming? If not you shouldn't bitstream any of the sound types that it cannot support. Leave those unchecked.

#7,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20993427

Did you get a discrete video card? Does your AV receiver support the HD Audio that you are bitstreaming? If not you shouldn't bitstream any of the sound types that it cannot support. Leave those unchecked.

Yea I got a discrete 5450 with integrated audio. I have a receiver that can support all HD audio signals so that should not be a problem. I will look back through your guides and see if I am missing a step or something...

Edit: Went back through the guides and still not seeing anything I have missed. All of the hd audio formats show as supported yet they are still going through ffdshow

#7,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPL /forum/post/20993777

Could some one tell me which boards microATX on Z68 chipset, supports audio over DVI output port ?

Thanks.

I don't recall ever seeing a list. I think that, unfortunately, you are going to have to keep digging to find the information.

When you do please let me know and I will add it to the FAQ to help out future people.

#7,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk /forum/post/20993570

Yea I got a discrete 5450 with integrated audio. I have a receiver that can support all HD audio signals so that should not be a problem. I will look back through your guides and see if I am missing a step or something...

Edit: Went back through the guides and still not seeing anything I have missed. All of the hd audio formats show as supported yet they are still going through ffdshow

Not quite sure why this is happening.

Are you getting the audio to bitstream to your HD Audio AV Receiver? If so either ffdshow or LAV audio should be equally as good to send the signal because if bitstreamed both should be "untouched" until received by your receiver.

#7,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk /forum/post/20993570

Also try adjusting the exclusive control settings...

#7,735 ·
Assassin,

Thank you for the awesome guide. If I go with your Option 3: (Think V8 Sportscar) - Intel i3 Clarkdale Build, do I need to install any other codec like ffdshow or anything like that for video and audio? I just want to use the intel graphic/audio and do not plan on installing a separate video/audio card. Thanks.

#7,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude /forum/post/20993971

Assassin,

Thank you for the awesome guide. If I go with your Option 3: (Think V8 Sportscar) - Intel i3 Clarkdale Build, do I need to install any other codec like ffdshow or anything like that for video and audio? I just want to use the intel graphic/audio and do not plan on installing a separate video/audio card. Thanks.

I'd go with the Sandy Bridge. Better technology for about the same or less price.

You will need a codec to play MKV files. I highly recommend getting my step by step paid illustrated guides. It is located over at my blog and you can see a table of contents of sorts located under the membership tab.

#7,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20993995

I'd go with the Sandy Bridge. Better technology for about the same or less price.

You will need a codec to play MKV files. I highly recommend getting my step by step paid illustrated guides. It is located over at my blog and you can see a table of contents of sorts located under the membership tab.

What if I just want to play ripped blu-rays, no conversion of any kind? I have about 30 blu-rays, mostly concert and disney movies for my little girl.

#7,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude /forum/post/20994075

What if I just want to play ripped blu-rays, no conversion of any kind? I have about 30 blu-rays, mostly concert and disney movies for my little girl.

Yep. I show you how to do this too.

Basically you can use clone drive to mount the iso file and then have mediabrowser launch MPC-HC for just your iso files.

Step-by-step illustrated instructions are in my guides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.