post #11611 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 View Post

No problems with the Asus Blu Ray drive. I have only used it to rip 20 or so dvd and Blu Ray movies, and it did that fine.

Thanks you for taking the time to respond. Mine did show today so will be adding it to an older (I3-530) build later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
assassin

can i just confirm with you one thing.
if i turn bitstreaming off in LAV audio settings, my AVR switches to Multichannel PCM.

Thats because the decoding is now being down by the PC, and the PC is sending the decoded, uncompressed audio to the AVR, correct?

Thats exactly the same as bitstreaming to the AVR instead, correct?
post #11613 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Bitstreaming is when the compressed audio is sent to your AVR for decoding. If the PC decodes it sends LPCM which can be sent via analog for AVR's that cannot decode but have 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs. This can also be sent via HDMI to the receiver but isn't considered bitstreaming.

post #11614 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Bitstreaming is when the compressed audio is sent to your AVR for decoding. If the PC decodes it sends LPCM which can be sent via analog for AVR's that cannot decode but have 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs. This can also be sent via HDMI to the receiver but isn't considered bitstreaming.

im aware of this - it wasnt really the point of my question.
i wanted to confirm that, when i turn bitstreaming off, Because the AVR is now receiving as multi channel PCM, it therefore means that the PC is decoding the audio and sending the uncompressed audio, and all the AVR is doing is outputting to speakers.

thats what i wanted to confirm.

if thats the case then im not bothered about bitstreaming, unless it has any tangible sound advantages.
post #11615 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That is correct.

Depending on your AVR, the Digital-Analog Converter could be better in it than in the PC so you may want to bitstream for better clarity.

post #11616 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Agreed. You spend a lot of money for the DAC/sound processor in your AV Receiver and typically you get the best sound and control of that sound when its send untouched to the AV Receiver.
post #11617 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:

That is correct.

Depending on your AVR, the Digital-Analog Converter could be better in it than in the PC so you may want to bitstream for better clarity.

thanks.
indeed, thats why i really want to try and get bitstreaming working with the HD formats, so i can listen for myself and decide. i probably wont notice anything.

its such a weird problem - as i say - the avr (onkyo 308) is decoding the bitstream HD audio and shows it on the display, but then struggles to play the file.
it will bitstream the lossy formats with no problems.

ive narrowed it down to 2 things. either update the realtek drivers to the latest.
test it on a different amp. just to make sure my amp is broken.

if either of those things make no difference i give up, and will have to settle for regular dts/dd/multi lpcm.
post #11618 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss View Post

thanks.
indeed, thats why i really want to try and get bitstreaming working with the HD formats, so i can listen for myself and decide. i probably wont notice anything.

its such a weird problem - as i say - the avr (onkyo 308) is decoding the bitstream HD audio and shows it on the display, but then struggles to play the file.

ive narrowed it down to 2 things. either update the realtek drivers to the latest.

if either of those things make no difference i give up, and will have to settle for regular dts/dd/multi lpcm.

Many people argue they can't tell the difference between DTS/DD and DTS-HD/TrueHD. Some argue they can.

So you may or may not be able to tell the difference.
post #11619 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Many people argue they can't tell the difference between DTS/DD and DTS-HD/TrueHD. Some argue they can.

So you may or may not be able to tell the difference.

For me, the dialog is more clear and the separation of channels is better from a lossless source but if I only have a lossy available I will watch it. The original Blues Brothers blu-ray comes to mind. Lossy is all they put on the disc but that doesn't stop me from watching it.

post #11620 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss View Post

thanks.

I would not blame this issue on your AVR as it looks to be quite capable but have you tested it with another component with HD Audio such as a stand alone blu-ray player?

post #11621 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM

I recently batch ripped a bunch of my DVD's to ISO using an old Sony Vaio VGP-XL1B (unattended batch ripped about 60 DVD's using DVD Decrypter ). My question is would it be better (more convenient...easier...simplier...) if these were in MKV format? and if so is there a program that can batch read these ISO's and convert them to MKV? MakeMKV looks nice but it can only do one ISO at a time and I have to create a directory name which is a bit of a pain....Thx!

post #11622 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For me, the dialog is more clear and the separation of channels is better from a lossless source but if I only have a lossy available I will watch it. The original Blues Brothers blu-ray comes to mind. Lossy is all they put on the disc but that doesn't stop me from watching it.

I agree. I can hear very subtle differences but both really are excellent.
post #11623 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

I recently batch ripped a bunch of my DVD's to ISO using an old Sony Vaio VGP-XL1B (unattended batch ripped about 60 DVD's using DVD Decrypter ). My question is would it be better (more convenient...easier...simplier...) if these were in MKV format? and if so is there a program that can batch read these ISO's and convert them to MKV? MakeMKV looks nice but it can only do one ISO at a time and I have to create a directory name which is a bit of a pain....Thx!

Simplest answer would be to leave things the way they are in iso.

But starting from scratch I would consider MKV if all you want is the movie (and not the menu, extras, fluff, warnings, etc).

I don't know of anything to batch this work but I am sure its out there.
post #11624 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
A friend of mine is putting together a demo disc along the lines of ScubaSteve's. He has arranged it so there will be 5 parts, each of which will fit on a BD9, but, when completed, will be available as a single-disc BD download.
I just thought there might be some interest in such material among the group here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391873

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #11625 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner97 View Post

I've had my HTPC since December and I kept having a lot of problems with it not being able to open up my video files. Basically it said the drivers were missing and to restart the PC or Windows Media Center. I posted this on another thread to help others but this may be of use to others here too:

I've had my Ceton tuner since Dec 2011 and every once in a while I would have problems with it when I use Windows Media Center. Basically it either said that WMC couldn't open the video files or there were no tuners available. The last time it went down for 2 days and I got really frustrated and was about to go back to my Cable Co's DVR. But then I decided to buy a new GeForce GT430 and use that instead of the on board video from my Intel i5 2500K processor. That fixed the problem! It was the video drivers that were messing up everything. And yes, I did try to update the drivers for the Intel video but it said my drivers were up to date. So those of you who have problems, you may want to try a discrete video card instead of using the on board video. It was such a headache trying to fix this problem and now everything works perfectly. It was worth the $70 for the video card. HTH.

This is a known issue with Intel's "up to date drivers". If you use the older drivers on Assassin's blog all these problems go away when using the I-series inboard graphics.

I have to return some video tapes....
post #11626 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just wanted to announce that the first JRiver guides have been posted.

A special thanks to GreenEyez who not only made these guides but is also going to head up AssassinHTPC.com in Europe.

JRiver Guides JR1-JR5 (Guides #93-98 in total)

Enjoy.

JRiver Audiophile guides hopefully coming soon (I have them done. They are just very long and extremely wordy. I hope to make them more concise)
post #11627 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner97 View Post

I've had my HTPC since December and I kept having a lot of problems with it not being able to open up my video files. Basically it said the drivers were missing and to restart the PC or Windows Media Center. I posted this on another thread to help others but this may be of use to others here too:

I've had my Ceton tuner since Dec 2011 and every once in a while I would have problems with it when I use Windows Media Center. Basically it either said that WMC couldn't open the video files or there were no tuners available. The last time it went down for 2 days and I got really frustrated and was about to go back to my Cable Co's DVR. But then I decided to buy a new GeForce GT430 and use that instead of the on board video from my Intel i5 2500K processor. That fixed the problem! It was the video drivers that were messing up everything. And yes, I did try to update the drivers for the Intel video but it said my drivers were up to date. So those of you who have problems, you may want to try a discrete video card instead of using the on board video. It was such a headache trying to fix this problem and now everything works perfectly. It was worth the $70 for the video card. HTH.

Really. I have two ceton tuners in my HTPC and I experience no problems. I don't even see the crash problem many have referred to. I had a little delay issue when installing the 2nd card but erik provided some simple check items and its been problem free. I use nothing but the i5 video chipset. Could it be a configuration issue?

In search of video bliss...
post #11628 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wanted to announce that the first JRiver guides have been posted.

A special thanks to GreenEyez who not only made these guides but is also going to head up AssassinHTPC.com in Europe.

JRiver Guides JR1-JR5 (Guides #93-98 in total)

Enjoy.

JRiver Audiophile guides hopefully coming soon (I have them done. They are just very long and extremely wordy. I hope to make them more concise)

you keep cranking out these guides faster than I can actually read the thread. No seriously thanks again.

So, do tell which do you prefer JRiver versus MB?

post #11629 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

you keep cranking out these guides faster than I can actually read the thread. No seriously thanks again.

So, do tell which do you prefer JRiver versus MB?

Too early to tell. But the waf is extremely high right now with mb and xbmc. I came home today from work and she was watching gone with the wind.
post #11630 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Liked: 13
Using the Asus BC-12B1ST as recommended by the build guide.
I ripped my first BD movie fine using MakeMKV.

Then...I decided to try SD DVDs too, I receive a error message in the status of MKV while it first reads SD DVDs. Then I tried several other DVDs all have the same error message..

"Drive BD-ROM ASUS BC-12B1ST 1.01 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from...."

All my DVDs are Region 1 and this is also the setting under Device Manager for the drive.

Any ideas why I'm receiving this error message? It can't be a firmware issue with the drive as it ripped a BD just fine as MKV.
LL
post #11631 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberguy34 View Post

Then...I decided to try SD DVDs too, I receive a error message in the status of MKV while it first reads SD DVDs. Then I tried several other DVDs all have the same error message..

"Drive BD-ROM ASUS BC-12B1ST 1.01 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from...."

All my DVDs are Region 1 and this is also the setting under Device Manager for the drive.

Any ideas why I'm receiving this error message? It can't be a firmware issue with the drive as it ripped a BD just fine as MKV.

Looks like its a problem with that drive.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4499

That's really frustrating. I wonder if there is a firmware update available.
post #11632 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If you have that drive, can you try out a SD DVD for reference and report back?

It is frustrating, very much so...especially when I purchased the drive at a decent price.
post #11633 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Are most using the stock cpu heatsink/fan or an aftermarket such as a cooler master?
post #11634 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too early to tell. But the waf is extremely high right now with mb and xbmc. I came home today from work and she was watching gone with the wind.

Now there has to be a guide for blocking that..JK. Wife figured out how to record 3 shows and watch another so my DVR is consumed by smash, dancing mom and such..if they are happy we are happy keeping the new toy flow rolling.

By the way the plex guide is fantastic. That coupled with a quick download of plex for the roku makes one handy extender.

post #11635 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18 View Post

Are most using the stock cpu heatsink/fan or an aftermarket such as a cooler master?

I am using a scythe 1000 I think..

post #11636 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:

This drive is currently en route to me for my build. I am considering returning it and going with Lite-On. It was hard to pass up for $50.00.
post #11637 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lite-On has never let me down. ASUS hadn't either until now. LG has as well as Samsung (let me down that is).
post #11638 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post

Yes, I found by trail and error that my receiver needs to power on last in the Harmony cue to to get a picture on the monitor. It usually works fine. If this remains the intermittent problem, could I diagnose it by manually turning on the monitor, wait 5 seconds, then turn on the receiver?

You can set the order of power on AND how much of a delay you want before a device powers on in the Logitech setup.

post #11639 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberguy34 View Post

Blurays have protection schemes that MakeMKV doesn't always keep up with. I can usually get around this by downloading the newest version of "Any DVD" to unlock it ( run it in the background) and then rip it to mkv with Handbrake instead of MakeMKV.

post #11640 of 15959 Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18 View Post

No problems with stock i-3 cooler. Never seen higher than 42 degrees.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page