post #12391 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Is there any significant difference in the final BR Rip output using MakeMKV and:

Corner A) I5-650, Gigabyte H67, Radeon 5770, 8GB RAM

Corner B) I5-2500, Gigagyte Z68, Radeon 5670, 8GB RAM

I would surmise the I5-2500 would be slightly FASTER but not a hill of beans in the final rendering. However, perhaps I'm missing the forest for the trees.

For a straight rip with no shrinking? No difference. Speed will be limited by the optical drive.

BTW the i5-650 is a Clarkdale and not a H67/LGA1155 CPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Good deal on a good Lite-On Bluray drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106374

$49 after code EMCYTZT1392

Expires 4/02

Picked up this drive as well, it just came a few minutes ago via UPS Man. It was the last piece of the puzzle that I needed to assemble my new HTPC. I'm reading thru your paid guides, wow there is a lot of great info in there. So I'm going thru it step-by-step. What bluray software do you recommend or like I'm looking at PowerDVD 12 Ultra.
post #12393 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

For a straight rip with no shrinking? No difference. Speed will be limited by the optical drive.

BTW the i5-650 is a Clarkdale and not a H67/LGA1155 CPU.

Whoops. H55 MOBO. I do have a few 'puters but not as many as you've built.

Thanks for the info on "which one is faster". I believe both are the same BR reader, although the latter is a rebadge
post #12394 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rod View Post

Picked up this drive as well, it just came a few minutes ago via UPS Man. It was the last piece of the puzzle that I needed to assemble my new HTPC. I'm reading thru your paid guides, wow there is a lot of great info in there. So I'm going thru it step-by-step. What bluray software do you recommend or like I'm looking at PowerDVD 12 Ultra.

if you plan on playing iso or physical disks then IMO the better choice would be TMT5. I think it does a better job with playback and hooks into WMC nicely.

Are you against ripping your media to MKV format and leveraging LAV/SHARK007 to play the format directly? I do this now and use TMT5 less than 5% of time.

In search of video bliss...
post #12395 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

Ah, DD is a 5.1 speaker setup, so the bulk of your sound in DD is sent to the center speaker. However, any TV is 2 channel, so you only hear the right-front and left-front channels.

I tried tuning off bit streaming and configuring the shark007 codecs to send stereo to the TV so that should have worked. In the end followed the steps at the end of Assassin's guide to connecting the HTPC to the HDTV and it appears to have resolved the issue.

post #12396 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

if you plan on playing iso or physical disks then IMO the better choice would be TMT5. I think it does a better job with playback and hooks into WMC nicely.

Are you against ripping your media to MKV format and leveraging LAV/SHARK007 to play the format directly? I do this now and use TMT5 less than 5% of time.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at playing a physical disk. I'll rip my own to my iso libary. Just wondering what would be the best for if a friend or family member brought a movie over to watch. I'll look at TMT5.
post #12397 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rod View Post

Thanks for the info. I was looking at playing a physical disk. I'll rip my own to my iso libary. Just wondering what would be the best for if a friend or family member brought a movie over to watch. I'll look at TMT5.

The best? Honestly a stand alone bluray player. Easier to use and about the same price as TMT5.
post #12398 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

The best? Honestly a stand alone bluray player. Easier to use and about the same price as TMT5.

I have a PS3 I usually use for Bluray viewing byt since I picked up the that drive from newegg I figure I'd look into software for playback.
post #12399 of 15952 Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately for 3d you have to use paid software like tmt5.

Ok so what program do I need to rip the 3D blu-rays, and can I set media browser to automatically play back 3D in tmt5, or does wmc/mb already support 3D playback?
post #12400 of 15952 Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You can rip with "Make mkv"

http://www.makemkv.com/

This may help a bit with your other question , Ie: MB 3d play back

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...ou-should-know
post #12401 of 15952 Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread View Post

Did anyone ever post a solution to:

When leaving MC on and shutting down the TV (no avr), upon restarting the TV the screen size/resolution changes and Media Center is a reduced screen size?

I recall someone else posting this problem, several people weighing in, but I don't recall a solution (other than restarting MC - which is what I do now, low WAF as MC takes 30 seconds to start and tune live TV).

I just started noticing this issue when I updated my ATI Driver to 12.3. I will have to some more testing with it though.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #12402 of 15952 Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So, I THOUGHT I had solved my 'blank display' issue using my AVR/Projector with my new H67/G530 system. Until last night, when I turned the AVR and PJ on (PC is running 24/7 since also being used as a server), and bam -- blank screen. I tried toggling the input on my AVR, but it didn't do anything for me this time.

But - and here's the strange thing - when I invoked the "mouse cursor' activity on my Harmony remote, the cursor showed up! So I was getting the white cursor on a black background. Never could get the desktop or WMC to show, but apparently SOME form of video is being passed. Anyone seen something like this before?
post #12403 of 15952 Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 13
Yep, had the same thing with the cursor. For me, I could exit to the desktop and then back to WMC. There are 3 things you could do:

1. Use HDMI Detective to resolve any handshake issues. I've never tried it, probably works, but it's another thing in the video chain, isn't cheap, and in my case not necessary.

2. When I shutdown my system (macro on the remote) I exit to the desktop on my HTPC. When I turn on the system, I program a delay (about 8 seconds) to let the AVR and projector be fully operational, and then execute a command (in the macro) for the green button. Not really a problem with the 8 second delay since the projector takes longer than that to warm up anyway.

3. You could also try varying what gets turned on 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. It didn't work for me however.
post #12404 of 15952 Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi

I have over 800 iso's. Mostly blu rays though some DVDs mixed in. I was going to rebuild and use MakeMKV as suggested by assassin but do notnwant to sit there and babysit my htpc. Is there a way I can copy a entire hard drive and convert them all to MKV with the options I want in one batch convert ?

Thanks

By the way assassin I finally have my harmony one working with my htpc. Bought the hp ir receiver and no issues though the mouse movement is slow and it will move for a while then stop. Then I have to hit the button and hold it down again rather than just holding it the entire time
post #12405 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

Hi

I have over 800 iso's. Mostly blu rays though some DVDs mixed in. I was going to rebuild and use MakeMKV as suggested by assassin but do notnwant to sit there and babysit my htpc. Is there a way I can copy a entire hard drive and convert them all to MKV with the options I want in one batch convert ?

Thanks

By the way assassin I finally have my harmony one working with my htpc. Bought the hp ir receiver and no issues though the mouse movement is slow and it will move for a while then stop. Then I have to hit the button and hold it down again rather than just holding it the entire time

If they are unencypted ISOs, you should be able to use Handbrake to batch convert.
post #12406 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Hi Assassin,
I've put the parts list below for my HTPC using the recommended hardware in your first post. My intention is to use a CableCard with the Ceton InfiniTV and get rid of the set-top boxes from Time Warner. I also plan on using an extender in a different part of my home.

With that in mind, could you please let me know, if you think the configuration might work or if I'm missing anything?

I'd appreciate any insight you might have to share.

I plan on getting your paid guides as soon as I sort out the hardware bit.

Thanks.

Quote:

Intel i3-2105
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 z68
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 "Ripjaws X"
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB SSD
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII 400 watt
Silverstone GD05B case
LG Blu-Ray rewriter WH12LS39 (Newegg item N82E16827136241)
Ceton InfiniTV
2 TB Hard drive (Hard to find one sub-$100 these days so still looking for one).

post #12407 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post

Hi Assassin,
I've put the parts list below for my HTPC using the recommended hardware in your first post. My intention is to use a CableCard with the Ceton InfiniTV and get rid of the set-top boxes from Time Warner. I also plan on using an extender in a different part of my home.

With that in mind, could you please let me know, if you think the configuration might work or if I'm missing anything?

I'd appreciate any insight you might have to share.

I plan on getting your paid guides as soon as I sort out the hardware bit.

Thanks.

Your build looks good. Can't comment on the LG drive as I haven't used it. I prefer Lite-On as they haven't let me down (yet). Should be a very nice HTPC.
post #12408 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

I have over 800 iso's. Mostly blu rays though some DVDs mixed in.
I was going to rebuild and use MakeMKV as suggested by assassin but do
notnwant to sit there and babysit my htpc. Is there a way I can copy a
entire hard drive and convert them all to MKV with the options I want in one
batch convert ?

See MakeMKV command-line usage. I haven't tried it myself.
post #12409 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Quote:

Your build looks good. Can't comment on the LG drive as I haven't used it. I prefer Lite-On as they haven't let me down (yet). Should be a very nice HTPC.

post #12410 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM

I have 570 nvidia card hanging around. will this be compatible with a jriver setup. Wont it be huge for most micro cases? also i heard it does not bitstream??

can anyone recommend a video card that will be good enough for jriver ? or recommend one that can do some gaming as well?
post #12411 of 15952 Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdoc View Post

I have 570 nvidia card hanging around. will this be compatible with a jriver setup. Wont it be huge for most micro cases? also i heard it does not bitstream??

can anyone recommend a video card that will be good enough for jriver ? or recommend one that can do some gaming as well?

Correct. The GTX570 cannot bitstream HD Audio.

Depends on what kind of gaming you want to do really. Just pick a gaming card and then try to find out if it can bitstream HD Audio. The GTX460/560/560ti series is a decent gaming card that can bitstream HD Audio.
post #12412 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 AM

2 disparate questions.

1) gtx 570 may not bitstream, but can I buy a separate sound card like one of those creative ones to handle all audio, if so any guide on how to set it up with WMC? do i change the bios or something?

2) How do I play divx, xvid, avi files in WMC? Assassin's guides did not go over this? or maybe is it that I need to install the old sharkey codecs instead of the LAV ones? Do i also need to install MPC?

thanks for all the erudite scholars here for their help.
post #12413 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2 disparate questions.

1) gtx 570 may not bitstream, but can I buy a separate sound card like one of those creative ones to handle all audio, if so any guide on how to set it up with WMC? do i change the bios or something?

2) How do I play divx, xvid, avi files in WMC? Assassin's guides did not go over this? or maybe is it that I need to install the old sharkey codecs instead of the LAV ones? Do i also need to install MPC?

I would just get a different video card. Easier and cheaper.

You might be able to play those formats. The ones that are correctly put in the container play just fine. If they won't play just run them through handbrake and convert them to mkv.

Fyi I have found that many downloaded avi/divx files are poorly ripped.
post #12414 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I will ask it anyways. Are MKV files unable to fast forward / rewind? I am playing them through Mediabrowser. The ones I have attempted to don't seem to do anything. Am I missing anything?
post #12415 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18 View Post

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I will ask it anyways. Are MKV files unable to fast forward / rewind? I am playing them through Mediabrowser. The ones I have attempted to don't seem to do anything. Am I missing anything?

mine al fast forward/rewind just fine. The fast forward/rewind in WMC sucks in my opinion though though it does work. Wish it was adjustable to how much it jumped forward/rewind. leats last itm ei checked that poriton wasnt adjustable

PSN- Velillen
post #12416 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:

2 disparate questions.

1) if you have an intel chip you don't need a video card (the on board graphics are quite good).

2) avi is a windows format so it should play fine in WMC, no codecs needed. Divx and xvid may require a codec like LAV or Shark007 (which includes LAV, Halli, FFDshow)

I have to return some video tapes....
post #12417 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18 View Post

It's a MB/WMC thing not a MKV issue. You can still skip fwd/skip back, or simply hit 1+0+play and that will fwd you to the 10:00 point in the mkv.

I have to return some video tapes....
post #12418 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

It's a MB/WMC thing not a MKV issue. You can still skip fwd/skip back, or simply hit 1+0+play and that will fwd you to the 10:00 point in the mkv.

The issue I have found is that LAV doesn't like some AVI containers. I have a few with some sort of MP3 mux/demux for the audio that it doesn't like.

Run them through handbrake though and they play just fine.
post #12419 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Hey Assassin, I have a question on how to view "file" mode on my movies (not TV shows).

I set up my guide with the Aeon skin just like in this thread. However, for the past few months I still can't get used to all the Genre options for my movies. It bothers me that movies like Shrek, The Princess Bride, Paul Blart Mall Cop and Kangaroo Jack are in the "Action" Genre. I guess there's some action in them..but I don't classify them as such.

Is there a way to view them in "library mode" which would give me my personal folder structure? I know in the classic skin I can do this from the side menu on the left, but can't find that option with this Aeon skin. I can provide pictures if you need to, and I probably should but I can't remember my websites ftp logon and don't have an acct on another picture host site right now :/

Also, is there a way to modify the directory that the sub-menu's point to? For instance, on the home screen if I look under "Movies" there are a few options like Genre, File, Recently added and such...but whenever I click any of those I just get directed to the generic list which includes Movies, TV Shows, Recently Added Movies, Recently Added Episodes, Playlists and Video Add-Ons. If I selected "Recently Added Movies" from the home screen..shouldn't it automatically direct me to that folder instead to this menu? Sorry....confusing.......I should give you pictures, right?
post #12420 of 15952 Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX82 View Post

Hey Assassin, I have a question on how to view "file" mode on my movies (not TV shows).

I set up my guide with the Aeon skin just like in this thread. However, for the past few months I still can't get used to all the Genre options for my movies. It bothers me that movies like Shrek, The Princess Bride, Paul Blart Mall Cop and Kangaroo Jack are in the "Action" Genre. I guess there's some action in them..but I don't classify them as such.

Is there a way to view them in "library mode" which would give me my personal folder structure? I know in the classic skin I can do this from the side menu on the left, but can't find that option with this Aeon skin. I can provide pictures if you need to, and I probably should but I can't remember my websites ftp logon and don't have an acct on another picture host site right now :/

Also, is there a way to modify the directory that the sub-menu's point to? For instance, on the home screen if I look under "Movies" there are a few options like Genre, File, Recently added and such...but whenever I click any of those I just get directed to the generic list which includes Movies, TV Shows, Recently Added Movies, Recently Added Episodes, Playlists and Video Add-Ons. If I selected "Recently Added Movies" from the home screen..shouldn't it automatically direct me to that folder instead to this menu? Sorry....confusing.......I should give you pictures, right?

XBMC, Media Browser and others can only sort movies based on the information that is given. So if the genre classifications are bothering you then you will have to modify the metadata to remove the genres that you don't agree with from each and every movie.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. But if it is bothering you that much then its something that you will need to do.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page