Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 431 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12901 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfoon2 View Post

Are there no performance hits in read/write traffic when e.g. unrarring/parring and at the same time moving (or playing) from the same pooled drive? Sorry but I'm new to this polling thing.

p.s. I used to unrar/unpar all to a seperate drive from the ones actively recording TV from and from the one actively playing HD content. This created better overall performance but is also nor very practical.

I think for just personal/family use you would be better served (pun intended) with a $90 i3 2100 compared to that $240 CPU.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12902 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Member
 
HunterX82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$20 seperates these 2 drives, with the main difference being 32MB cache versus 64MB cache.

Does that impact an HTPC much anyway??

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $140

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $120

I'd think that both were similar in terms of power consumption and noise.
HunterX82 is offline  
post #12903 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX82 View Post

$20 seperates these 2 drives, with the main difference being 32MB cache versus 64MB cache.

Does that impact an HTPC much anyway??

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $140

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $120

I'd think that both were similar in terms of power consumption and noise.

Any reason you don't want to do this instead ?


22-148-681 - $109.99 w/ Promo Code EMCNENF23 + Free Shipping!
Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive -Bare Drive


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ile-_-22148681

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #12904 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Member
 
HunterX82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh snap good find. No, not really. I have the H67M motherboard so it supports the SATA 6.0Gb/s
HunterX82 is offline  
post #12905 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Shanndogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I am going to have to disagree with Renethx's recommendations for a server if you are using this just for your own personal use. You can go MUCH cheaper and have a fantastic server.

Now if you are if you are setting up Shanndogg.com and have a ton of server traffic that's different.

Also, I would consider FlexRaid over unRaid at this point.

What would you recommend, or where can I find a suggested list that will better suit my needs? Granted, there are less expensive options on Renethx's list, I just took the higher end one, but his guide is also about 5 months old and I am not able to determine what level of server meets my needs.

It will just be for my own personal use, I just want to make sure I get something that will be solid and able to do the transcoding as I mentioned as well as the in-house serving. I will reexamine the info on Flexraid as well and am wondering if you recommend Flexraid for a specific feature or ease of use over unRaid?
Shanndogg is offline  
post #12906 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

What would you recommend, or where can I find a suggested list that will better suit my needs? Granted, there are less expensive options on Renethx's list, I just took the higher end one, but his guide is also about 5 months old and I am not able to determine what level of server meets my needs.

It will just be for my own personal use, I just want to make sure I get something that will be solid and able to do the transcoding as I mentioned as well as the in-house serving. I will reexamine the info on Flexraid as well and am wondering if you recommend Flexraid for a specific feature or ease of use over unRaid?

There is really no consensus that I have seen that you *have* to go with server parts to build a good and reliable home server. I built mine with a G530 CPU ($50) and an H67 motherboard ($80) and its rock solid stable.

Since you are wanting to use your server as a pseudo-HTPC you might consider WHS 2011 + FlexRaid. Using WHS allows you to install many of the software programs that you might want to use such as utorrent, media center master, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd+, media shares, MySQL, Mediaportal TV Server, etc.

The combination is pretty easy to use and FlexRaid supports multiple drive failures whereas unRaid only supports a single drive failing, storage pools, easy to use interface, ability to remove FlexRaid and still access all the data on your drives, etc.

BTW you also could run Win7 + FlexRaid on your server as well.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
post #12907 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX82 View Post

Oh snap good find. No, not really. I have the H67M motherboard so it supports the SATA 6.0Gb/s

6.0gps SATA 3 and 64mb for $109.

Seemed like better answer to your question.

But for record the 32mb cache is just fine for HTPC. As is a SATA 2 3.0gps drive. There's like no real world difference in speed at all. Get the best deal .

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #12908 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Shanndogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

There is really no consensus that I have seen that you *have* to go with server parts to build a good and reliable home server. I built mine with a G530 CPU ($50) and an H67 motherboard ($80) and its rock solid stable.

Since you are wanting to use your server as a pseudo-HTPC you might consider WHS 2011 + FlexRaid. Using WHS allows you to install many of the software programs that you might want to use such as utorrent, media center master, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd+, media shares, MySQL, Mediaportal TV Server, etc.

The combination is pretty easy to use and FlexRaid supports multiple drive failures whereas unRaid only supports a single drive failing, storage pools, easy to use interface, ability to remove FlexRaid and still access all the data on your drives, etc.

BTW you also could run Win7 + FlexRaid on your server as well.

Just reviewed a lot of the info on the Flexraid site and it seems a lot easier to set up at first glance compared to unRaid (at least to me). I am also glad to see it does real time as well as snapshot- I previously was going off a comparison chart that indicated it only did snapshot. If I go with WHS and Flexraid (Raid-F + Pooling), it costs the same as unRaid, so looks like I am leaning that way now as you suggested.

Is your G530/H67 set up able to do the transcoding from Plex to your phone/remotely, or do you run it from your HTPC instead? I've been going back and forth between having the server do all the services like you mentioned or the HTPC. Any major pros/cons either way?
Shanndogg is offline  
post #12909 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

Just reviewed a lot of the info on the Flexraid site and it seems a lot easier to set up at first glance compared to unRaid (at least to me). I am also glad to see it does real time as well as snapshot- I previously was going off a comparison chart that indicated it only did snapshot. If I go with WHS and Flexraid (Raid-F + Pooling), it costs the same as unRaid, so looks like I am leaning that way now as you suggested.

Is your G530/H67 set up able to do the transcoding from Plex to your phone/remotely, or do you run it from your HTPC instead? I've been going back and forth between having the server do all the services like you mentioned or the HTPC. Any major pros/cons either way?

The G530 does very well for me and yes I use it the transcode files to both my phone and remotely when I travel. However, I wasn't using Plex when I built my server. I would probably use a G620 for a little extra CPU boost or maybe even an i3 2100 if I lived near a Microcenter if I was building the same machine today.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
post #12910 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Very good deal

Refurbished Harmony One for $99 shipped after code logi_h1_5412

These don't usually last long. 90 day warranty.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promot...gdnq6du6nsmgkk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
post #12911 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Shanndogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

The G530 does very well for me and yes I use it the transcode files to both my phone and remotely when I travel. However, I wasn't using Plex when I built my server. I would probably use a G620 for a little extra CPU boost or maybe even an i3 2100 if I lived near a Microcenter if I was building the same machine today.

Bam! That's perfect advice since I live near a Microcenter. You and your guides rock! I will go with the i3 2100.

Now I just have to figure out which motherboard/ram- looks like I should have gotten two of those Asus Z68 boards the other day from the shell shocker deal...
Shanndogg is offline  
post #12912 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

Bam! That's perfect advice since I live near a Microcenter. You and your guides rock! I will go with the i3 2100.

Now I just have to figure out which motherboard/ram- looks like I should have gotten two of those Asus Z68 boards the other day from the shell shocker deal...

just keep your eyes peeled on the site they Will be Back !! (The NEW Asus Z77 MoBo's are out !! & one was on sale as well)
Prime Advice ::::: if your set-up to get the e-blast...
1st thing in the morning you can see all the "shell shockers" that will up for the day ... that way you will n0t miss them when they come back up ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #12913 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

Bam! That's perfect advice since I live near a Microcenter. You and your guides rock! I will go with the i3 2100.

Now I just have to figure out which motherboard/ram- looks like I should have gotten two of those Asus Z68 boards the other day from the shell shocker deal...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

I have been anxious to see a server build with this board as Assassin has asked the forums opinion in another thread and did not seem to garner much response

I feel that with the 8 sata ports and the built in intel ethernet that this could be a really good server board that could also double as kick ass htpc board or a rockin pc board . Another words .... very diverse and also has Ivy capabilities .

A slight down side is that it is a bit pricy . For what u get though , it seems as though it would pay off in longevity .

Just my thoughts

-Flocko
flocko is offline  
post #12914 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Any reason you don't want to do this instead ?


22-148-681 - $109.99 w/ Promo Code EMCNENF23 + Free Shipping!
Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive -Bare Drive


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ile-_-22148681

I've been watching that for weeks. The coupon code is new (it was previously offered with "special combo savings," which I found not so special). This is very tempting, though I may hold out for 3TB.
Or I may not.
Thanks for the heads up.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #12915 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Kidsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Very good deal

Refurbished Harmony One for $99 shipped after code logi_h1_5412

These don't usually last long. 90 day warranty.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promot...gdnq6du6nsmgkk

Nice! Thanks for posting, the wife has been complaining about no remote for the new htpc.

Kidsmoke is offline  
post #12916 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Very good deal

Refurbished Harmony One for $99 shipped after code logi_h1_5412

These don't usually last long. 90 day warranty.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promot...gdnq6du6nsmgkk

I picked up my H900 refurbed like this for $120 or something. Hell of a deal.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #12917 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Member
 
scopeyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

There's no re-encoding here either, it just reads the video file and writes a file that "marks" the commercials so WMP can skip them. If it had to transcode it, it would take a whole lot longer (and keep in mind I'm using a G530, so an i7 probably wouldn't have to work as hard ).

I guess the file remains in the wmc library rather than creating a new file in in media browser? I'd prefer the wmc interface since it is easy to delete the show after viewing. You say the file is marked for skipping by wmc; does this happen automatically?
scopeyus is offline  
post #12918 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

I have been anxious to see a server build with this board as Assassin has asked the forums opinion in another thread and did not seem to garner much response

Very nice board. I would love to have this as my server board. Tons of features and speed. Intel LAN, with tons of media steaming features.

What thread are you talking about when you say Assassin has asked the forums opinion in another thread ?

Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post


I feel that with the 8 sata ports and the built in intel ethernet that this could be a really good server board that could also double as kick ass htpc board or a rockin pc board . Another words .... very diverse and also has Ivy capabilities .

A slight down side is that it is a bit pricy . For what u get though , it seems as though it would pay off in longevity .

Your right. I have the Z68 ASUS deluxe which is very much like this board's feature set. It was $269 earlier this year. Seems like this board gives you most of the features but with Z77. Your right.

All motherboards are not equal and you do get what you pay for, The memory controller on the Asus Z77's is far superior to other brands. Even Intel admits it's pretty amazing what Asus accomplished.

Nothing wrong with a $99 board from another MFG- but buyers should understand that they are not equal to a $200 Asus.

If I ever see a deal on the next step up Z77 Deluxe I think I will grab it. If not- this board you linked is my other choice.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #12919 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeyus View Post

I guess the file remains in the wmc library rather than creating a new file in in media browser? I'd prefer the wmc interface since it is easy to delete the show after viewing. You say the file is marked for skipping by wmc; does this happen automatically?

I feel the need for a new guide!
Yes, it works on the original file and doesn't modify it at all. It is suggested to set it to start 10 minutes after the show finishes recording; there's a "watch" folder, so it's automatic and you don't have to move anything.
http://babgvant.com/files/folders/dv...x/default.aspx
You need DVRMSToolbox (DTB) - 1.2.2.5 and DTBAddin - 1.0.0.7 (R3). It automatically installs a free version of Comskip (which is what it actually uses to detect the commercials), but you're much better off paying the $10 and getting the latest "donators" version (currently 81.036, 4/7/12) of Comskip:
http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/
The setup of DTB is pretty straight-forward, but you can spend years tweaking the settings in Comskip. Fortunately, you don't HAVE to, but there are some defaults in the .ini file that do need to be changed. Not a big deal.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #12920 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I feel the need for a new guide!
Yes, it works on the original file and doesn't modify it at all. It is suggested to set it to start 10 minutes after the show finishes recording; there's a "watch" folder, so it's automatic and you don't have to move anything.
http://babgvant.com/files/folders/dv...x/default.aspx
You need DVRMSToolbox (DTB) - 1.2.2.5 and DTBAddin - 1.0.0.7 (R3). It automatically installs a free version of Comskip (which is what it actually uses to detect the commercials), but you're much better off paying the $10 and getting the latest "donators" version (currently 81.036, 4/7/12) of Comskip:
http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/
The setup of DTB is pretty straight-forward, but you can spend years tweaking the settings in Comskip. Fortunately, you don't HAVE to, but there are some defaults in the .ini file that do need to be changed. Not a big deal.

I'd love to add it if anyone is interested in creating it.

I will cover all costs of the software.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
post #12921 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I will cover all costs of the software.

As I said, $10.

The Comskip forums actually cover it pretty well. I haven't done anything with it after setting it up a few months ago, but I'll look around for a step-by-step when I have a chance.

In the meantime, I'll let the author speak for himself:

http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/view...php?f=5&t=1197

http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=702

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #12922 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Member
 
ryanm1058123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
been playing with my assassin htpc for a while now.. it is seriously perfect.

the only issue i have is that the processor (G630) isn't strong enough to use Dolphin (wii emulator). small potatoes though. does everything so well! (if i wanted a gaming machine i should have payed more from him)
ryanm1058123 is offline  
post #12923 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123 View Post

been playing with my assassin htpc for a while now.. it is seriously perfect.

the only issue i have is that the processor (G630) isn't strong enough to use Dolphin (wii emulator). small potatoes though. does everything so well! (if i wanted a gaming machine i should have payed more from him)

You just made my night.

Glad you like it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is offline  
post #12924 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

I have been anxious to see a server build with this board as Assassin has asked the forums opinion in another thread and did not seem to garner much response

I feel that with the 8 sata ports and the built in intel ethernet that this could be a really good server board that could also double as kick ass htpc board or a rockin pc board . Another words .... very diverse and also has Ivy capabilities .

A slight down side is that it is a bit pricy . For what u get though , it seems as though it would pay off in longevity .

Just my thoughts

-Flocko

I got 2 builds going with Deluxe version on that MoBo ..It's a great MoBo ! P8-Z77V-Deluxe , it's feature Rich !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #12925 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I've been watching that for weeks. The coupon code is new (it was previously offered with "special combo savings," which I found not so special). This is very tempting, though I may hold out for 3TB.
Or I may not.
Thanks for the heads up.

Amazon has the 3TB for just dollars more that that .. I got one , I paid $189 for one(3TB) from Newegg & it was DOA they just refunded all my cash & sent me a free return shipping label ... going back to Amazon ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #12926 of 15967 Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


Amazon has the 3TB for just dollars more that that .. I got one , I paid $189 for one(3TB) from Newegg & it was DOA they just refunded all my cash & sent me a free return shipping label ... going back to Amazon ...

Happens. I wouldn't say it was neweggs fault

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #12927 of 15967 Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+ 1

Have had my fair share of issues with Amazon over delayed shipments . Do I still use them ? Sure . I am just more selective on what I will trust them with. Waited 60 day's on an avr that was "in stock"

I don't think The Egg said , "Hey fastslappy needs a new hdd go get that dead one off the shelf and wrap er up"
flocko is offline  
post #12928 of 15967 Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Senior Member
 
thefever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The key to Amazon is to sign up for prime, and use prime. I love free 2 day shipping, and 3.99 1 day shipping. I only buy stuff on amazon that is "fulfilled by amazon", not a third party.
thefever is offline  
post #12929 of 15967 Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefever View Post

The key to Amazon is to sign up for prime, and use prime. I love free 2 day shipping, and 3.99 1 day shipping. I only buy stuff on amazon that is "fulfilled by amazon", not a third party.

Learned that one the hard way . You are correct . I only do "bought by and sold by Amazon" .

Good point !
flocko is offline  
post #12930 of 15967 Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefever View Post

The key to Amazon is to sign up for prime, and use prime. I love free 2 day shipping, and 3.99 1 day shipping. I only buy stuff on amazon that is "fulfilled by amazon", not a third party.

Amazon has worked really well for me for years ,now I have Amazon Prime & that's icing on the Cake . But what I do is check both NewEgg & then Amazon for any part I want , I then do the math, taxes & shipping from NewEgg VS Amazon Prime . I do get things off of Amazon that is Not Amazon Direct but really that's just a 3rd choice after the Amazon Prime & NewEgg considerations.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off