AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#10,581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel /forum/post/21635930

I am having a problem with Media Browser I am hoping someone can help me with. I have everything setup and its wroking well and then I added a new folder, image and movies to the folder. Its showing in Media Browser, but the images and movies are not showing up... I tried to clear the cache and refresh, but I am getting errors from the service when I try to clear the cache.

Anyone have any ideas or things to try? HTPC's are certainly high maintenance, but I am getting close to getting everything finalized and then I will image the drive and never touch anything again! lol

Try a different theme and try it again.

#10,584 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel /forum/post/21636058

The error is mtn.exe has stopped working and the theme was pearl, but I will try another.

I think the problem is the "High Quality Thumbnails" plugin. I disabled that and no more "mtn.exe" error...

#10,586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21636080

A quick google search reveals this is most likely caused by incompatible media somewhere in your library.

Or the the plug in Fox stated.

Agreed. I diasbled that plug-in and the errors stop happening, but I am still not getting the folder to refresh and update the movies and images... Let me keep trying and I will report back. I am using the latest version of Media Browser and everything else is updated as its a brand new build.

#10,589 ·
Slight update.

A while ago I posted about MCM crashing. Turns out it wasn't just me. I have it to auto update like many things and that's when it went pear shaped. It had updated and that update was a buggy build. A few posted on their forum and a new build was made. Fixed.

Assassin, I also posted about having my volume alternate from Windows to reciever. Well as you stated the two different streams sent by different formats will do that. So I simply programmed the Harmony remote to just control the recievers' volume. Fixed.

Ongoing problem I have is MB still crashing. I think I've narrowed down when it occurs. After watching a movie I press stop. Then return to go back through menu. I'll get to live tv and start watching. Within about 10-20 seconds a small WMC looking window will come up saying MB has stopped working. Click ok. Then it will start just fine again. Not fixed.

#10,590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadon4sho /forum/post/21635502

gentleman,

I have an old pc that i would like to turn into a HTPC is there a quick start guide around here somewhere to get me started?

thank you

How old is that computer ?

Uh , as far as a quick start guide . HMMM ? let me see ... oh ya, i remember now . You are here my friend . Go back to page one of this thread and read the free guides that assassin put out . Get your "stuff" together and then purchase the paid guides and come back and post up some questions if you need help or at least post up your build with some pics .

#10,591 ·
Hey Assassin, sorry for another (stupid) question but i found :

Asus GT 440 1GB GDDR5 which cost : 77£

Asus HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 which cost : 82£

so it's really small difference in price, and im curious which one should i choose...i like Nvidia due that i never have a problem with my 7900 + it's have CUDA...

so im really now confused, can somebody help me pls

thanks

#10,592 ·
Building a htpc with the MB in the thread title . Using an i3 2105 cpu .

I need some known to consistantly work ram (2X2 4 gig) . Quality , name brand ... not "value line " stuff .

I have looked at the compatibility charts for the MB but don't trust them . I thought I would look to the forum for the best experiance / advice

Thanks

#10,593 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21637726

so it's really small difference in price, and im curious which one should i choose...i like Nvidia due that i never have a problem with my 7900 + it's have CUDA...

thanks

Sounds like you like Nvidia so maybe you stick to it. I like ATI more so I have the 6540.

#10,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21637726

thanks

Completely your preference. If you have had a good experience with NVidia then I say stick with what you know and like. Both are good options.

#10,596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/21638000

Building a htpc with the MB in the thread title . Using an i3 2105 cpu .

I need some known to consistantly work ram (2X2 4 gig) . Quality , name brand ... not "value line " stuff .

I have looked at the compatibility charts for the MB but don't trust them . I thought I would look to the forum for the best experiance / advice

Thanks

I like G.Skill and Corsair. Both are very good.

Memory is a relative commodity nowadays. I like G.Skill as I have yet to receive a bad stick of RAM but YMMV.

#10,597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21638456

I like G.Skill and Corsair. Both are very good.

Memory is a relative commodity nowadays. I like G.Skill as I have yet to receive a bad stick of RAM but YMMV.

Agreed for sure . I have G. Skill now and love it . Mushkin in another board right now too and love that as well .

What I was trying to say gently , is that I was looking at the ddr3 1600 G. Skill in the guide (bottom 3 reccomendations for z-68) and did not see them as compatible for refrenced board . Was wondering if all or any of those will work .

#10,598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko /forum/post/21638534

Agreed for sure . I have G. Skill now and love it . Mushkin in another board right now too and love that as well .

What I was trying to say gently , is that I was looking at the ddr3 1600 G. Skill in the guide (bottom 3 reccomendations for z-68) and did not see them as compatible for refrenced board . Was wondering if all or any of those will work .

I purchased the Corsair Vengeance RAM for the same board, but the ATX version. I got 2x4GB, but it works flawlessly.

-Pak

#10,599 ·
Copying Prohibited

The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

I'm getting this on HBO for live and recorded programs. I've googled and searched the forums, there's a lot of responses, but most are outdated and involve reinstalling Windows... since this is a fresh install of Win 7 I can't see myself doing that right away. Any tips?

#10,600 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryxis /forum/post/21640337

Copying Prohibited

The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

I'm getting this on HBO for live and recorded programs. I've googled and searched the forums, there's a lot of responses, but most are outdated and involve reinstalling Windows... since this is a fresh install of Win 7 I can't see myself doing that right away. Any tips?

most cable companies flag their content streams so that it only allows playback on the device it was recorded. If your using a CableCard and from what I understand not on FIOS all content is what is known as copy once versus freely, meaning that only the device that recorded the content can play the content. Here is a pdf that goes into great detail. Also, i would check out the AVS thread for the card/tuner device your using and call your provider sometimes a simple refresh resnd of the signal will fix this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.