Forum Jump: 

post #15931 of 15959 Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys,

Updated my Mobo firmware, same result.

Omerome, I want the receiver to do the decoding, with your setup you are having the PC do this work. I want an unaltered signal sent to my Denon receiver. I am under the impression you set WMC to 7.1 (or 5.1) and the Windows audio properties are set to stereo. With this config the htpc should pass an undecoded (LPCM) signal to the receiver. My receiver is only getting a stereo signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15932 of 15959 Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsky View Post

Thanks guys,

Updated my Mobo firmware, same result.

Omerome, I want the receiver to do the decoding, with your setup you are having the PC do this work. I want an unaltered signal sent to my Denon receiver. I am under the impression you set WMC to 7.1 (or 5.1) and the Windows audio properties are set to stereo. With this config the htpc should pass an undecoded (LPCM) signal to the receiver. My receiver is only getting a stereo signal.
That's what I mean. Set WMC to 5.1 and Windows to 2.0 (Stereo). If I do it any other way, I don't get the surround sound to work right.

I don't set both WMC and Windows to 5.1 because it also screws up the volume, too.
post #15933 of 15959 Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 PM

So, digging up an old message but I think I may have just recently hit this, or at least something similar:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1302559/assassins-simple-beginner-htpc-buying-guide/6570#post_20718984

Here's the details:
https://communities.intel.com/message/237379#237379

but in short, after upgrading my HTPC to an i7 3770k I get BSOD with latest Intel graphics drivers when connecting via HDMI on my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Rev1.0 mobo using onboard graphics.
No BSOD when connecting via DVI instead of HDMI, and going directly to the TV while bypassing the AVR.
Just a bad driver?

Thanks!
post #15934 of 15959 Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

Your new ram is not listed as supported by this board. You may want to try switching back to the old ram.

I had audio problems with my ASUS board until I upgraded the BIOS. You may need to resort to that.

Good luck.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #15935 of 15959 Old 05-31-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Your new ram is not listed as supported by this board. You may want to try switching back to the old ram.
I had audio problems with my ASUS board until I upgraded the BIOS. You may need to resort to that.
Good luck.

ah, yep I actually tried with the old RAM in place and still BSOD'ed. Turns out if you look at the RAM website (crucial), it does show the mobo as being compatible. Apparently they don't update the RAM list over there at gigabyte. I found that out after asking them why the mobo supports 32gb, but they don't have any 8GB sticks listed as compatible wink.gif
post #15936 of 15959 Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 PM

well, I found an Intel graphics driver from Dec 2012 and installed that. So far, so good...if anyone has any gotchas I should be aware of, please advise.

Thanks!
post #15937 of 15959 Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

Why do "upgrades" have to be so aggravating?

Congrats and enjoy.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #15938 of 15959 Old 06-01-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't think I've updated anything in my rig since I built it in 01/2013.
I'm eek.gif to kick the sleeping ant hill.

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #15939 of 15959 Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've never upgraded any drivers since I built the HTPC 2 years ago. Everything works just fine & I feel there's a lot to be said about that. However I do keep Windows and antivirus software updated.
post #15940 of 15959 Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I am confused whether I should go with Elite or Mini.

post #15941 of 15959 Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 37
If you don't need the size. Go with the Elite for sure. Better parts.

For the mini, you are paying for the size, not performance.

Assassin HTPC - Watch What We Do
The Store: www.Assassinhtpc.com
The Blog:www.Assassinhtpcblog.com
The Forum: www.Assassinhtpcblog.com/forum

Dozens of Pre-built and Pre-Configured HTPC's.
Over 185+ Guides and tutorials for customizations.
Largest HTPC resource anywhere in the world.
post #15942 of 15959 Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Thanks Assassin, I finally got around to getting all the parts and have begun the build and ran into my first snag. Upon pressing the power button, I get no beeps or audibles from the onboard speaker (and thus, no video) even though all the case fans, CPU fan, and HDDs/SSDs power on correctly. Tried swapping all kinds of things and keep having this strange feeling its the MB from ASRock, god damn. Cleared CMOS, tried booting without RAM, still can't get a damn beep.

I have no GPU so I'm assuming I should be using the VGA out to go to a monitor.
post #15943 of 15959 Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM

ff.fahimi,
You are about to realize why there is a LOT of value into having someone do a build for you.

Check your bios for the video output. Try VGA first, then HDMI. VGA should work regardless.

Try one stick of RAM at a time, in each RAM slot.

Unplug everything but your SSD. Make sure its being recognized in Bios.

If you aren't even getting a bios screen. Its either Power supply (which can be ruled out if fans are working) RAM, or Motherboard.

Also I don't think I need to state this but you will only hear a beep if you've attached a speaker to the motherboard.

Again, we always promote doing it yourself but any cost savings typicall get thrown out the window once you press that power button and nothing happens!

post #15944 of 15959 Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 AM

ff.fahimi,
You are about to realize why there is a LOT of value into having someone do a build for you.

Check your bios for the video output. Try VGA first, then HDMI. VGA should work regardless.

Try one stick of RAM at a time, in each RAM slot.

Unplug everything but your SSD. Make sure its being recognized in Bios.

If you aren't even getting a bios screen. Its either Power supply (which can be ruled out if fans are working) RAM, or Motherboard.

Also I don't think I need to state this but you will only hear a beep if you've attached a speaker to the motherboard.

Again, we always promote doing it yourself but any cost savings typically get thrown out the window once you press that power button and nothing happens!

post #15945 of 15959 Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ff.fahimi: in case it is of any value, on my first build, I had the main power connector (24 pin) plugged in fine, but not the smaller one. Everything powered up (fans spun) but no beep and no post screen. Eventually after much hair pulling I realized I needed the second power connector plugged in AND at least one functional RAM stick. Once I did that I got to the post screen and all was well. No beep until I bought a case speaker though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #15946 of 15959 Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Thanks you two.

I found out the problem though, check it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/com..._with_the_new/

Now ASRock wants to charge me $15 to update the BIOS for me after I contacted their tech support. Why do they claim compatibility yet fail to recall from their vendors and update the BIOS on their terms?

Quote:
A lot of people probably already know this, but from what I have seen a lot of you don't. I see a lot of people recommending builds were they have a new Haswell Refresh CPU, but then they choose a old Intel 8 series motherboard. What they do not know is that these new Haswell CPUs need a BIOS update to work on the old Intel 8 series motherboards. If the CPU is one of the new Haswell CPUs then you will need to perform a BIOS update for the Intel 8 series, Which means that you have to buy a original Haswell CPU, then install it on the motherboard and then you can update the BIOS. Putting the Haswell Chips on a Intel 8 Series chip sets will mean that your computer will only boot up for a second and then restart.
For these following motherboard chipsets you will need to a BIOS update to use the new Haswell Refresh CPUs:
Z87
H87
H81
B85
Q87
Q85
Here are the CPUs that will not work on those motherboards.
On the other hand the new Intel 9 series motherboards will work with ANY Haswell CPU whether its Haswell refresh or Original Haswell. These are the Intel 9 series chipsets, these will work with ANY CPU without a BIOS update.
H97
Z97
post #15947 of 15959 Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, thought I'd check back in and relate an issue that I had to resolve today. I built an HTPC about 2 years ago with a Crucial M4 2.5" SSD. A few days ago my computer would start locking up randomly and also would have a BSOD now-and-then when it would go into sleep mode or when it would revive. When the error occured it would reboot but fail because it could read from the boot disk (SSD).

I ran Microsft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes, AVG, MemoryTest86, CCCleaner, defrag, etc... all to no avail in solving this problem.

After more research I found out that when your Crucial M4 hits a certain amount of power on hours the symptoms above start to occur. See release notes for latest Crucial M4 firmware.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

Resolved a power-up timing issue that could result in a drive hang, resulting in an inability to communicate with the host computer. The hang condition would typically occur during power-up or resume from Sleep or Hibernate. Most often, a new power cycle will clear the condition and allow normal operations to continue. The failure mode has only been observed in factory test. The failure mode is believed to have been contained to the factory. This fix is being implemented for all new builds, for all form factors, as a precautionary measure. The fix may be implemented in the field, as desired, to prevent occurrence of this boot-time failure. To date, no known field returns have been shown to be related to this issue. A failure of this type would typically be recoverable by a system reset.

After the update this seems to have fixed it.
post #15948 of 15959 Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I had this problem a while back with my own Crucial drive. Exactly the symptoms you described.

The firmware fix completely resolved the issue for me, and I ran that drive for maybe another year, uneventfully, so I can say with confidence that the firmware upgrade was a good one.

Marc

post #15949 of 15959 Old 07-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 17
Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide

Same. Happened at about the 1 year mark. Updated the firmware and have been going strong for another 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to return some video tapes....

Last edited by Wilky13; 07-04-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: edit
post #15950 of 15959 Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm wondering if you all could suggest the best way to stream media on a laptop.

I have an HTPC built with movies stored on it. The drive is then shared. My wife accesses this drive off the network and plays the .mkv file via VLC player on her laptop which is running Windows 8.1. The movie plays however it will hang every minute or so like it's loading and then continue.

Is there a better way for her to access these movies off of the htpc? Any resource you could point me to?

Thank you!
post #15951 of 15959 Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post
I'm wondering if you all could suggest the best way to stream media on a laptop.

I have an HTPC built with movies stored on it. The drive is then shared. My wife accesses this drive off the network and plays the .mkv file via VLC player on her laptop which is running Windows 8.1. The movie plays however it will hang every minute or so like it's loading and then continue.

Is there a better way for her to access these movies off of the htpc? Any resource you could point me to?

Thank you!
Probably ask in the open forum you will get more answers. "best way to steam media on laptop ? " <- That is a good thread title.

really quick I would look into Mediabrowser- or plex. Both work well both locally and away from home.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #15952 of 15959 Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The blog website appears to be down... is this a known issue?
post #15953 of 15959 Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone connect to the assassin htpc blog?
post #15954 of 15959 Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM

I am unable to also. Not so good, as i was in the middle of reading it.
post #15955 of 15959 Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM

back up again.
post #15956 of 15959 Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can get on it with no problem...............

Toys

My Gear
post #15957 of 15959 Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

Thank you!
Have you found a solution to this? I'm trying to get back to my HTPC build, and this is something I will want to do once it's up and running.

Thanks

post #15958 of 15959 Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,

This is a bit out there but hoping someone here can help me out. I've got an old (circa 2008) AMD Phenom 9550 AM2+ socket, with compatible memory, and all the other parts I need for a "kids' media computer" build, EXCEPT for a motherboard. So, I'm looking for a micro ATX AM2+ socket compatible motherboard, that has 4 memory slots. I found two boards on Newegg, but they only had a pair of memory slots. I'd like to use all four sticks I've got. Anybody have a recommended board / source? Other than fitting my processor and four slots, I'm wide open in terms of other specs.

Thoughts?

Marc

post #15959 of 15959 Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Hello everyone. I was a frequent poster for a year or so, have been doing the HTPC thing since 2008. My HTPC has been running relatively fine since my last build back in April 2013... Asus H67, i5, Win7, Ceton Card(4 Tuner) and HD HR USB (3 Tuner).

About 3 weeks ago my 7 tuners dropped to 4 (WMC still had 7, but the 4 tuner limit crept back, assumably because of an Auto update by Windows, but, I don't know). I built my PC using The Guides.

In an effort to correct this I opened a tix with Ceton to see if they had seen this because I'm using their drivers and not Tuner Salad to overcome the 4 tuner limit. Ceton sent me a list of things to do (mostlyupdate drivers, including RealTek, which I do not recommend). So, I created a restore point and updated all these drivers (Ceton was up to date but re-installed them too).

I've since had a host of problems, most recently my video stutters (no card, and I don't want to add one, using HD4600). The machine also appears to hang up a bit (so, I fire up a browser which took milliseconds a month ago, now I get the orb for a few seconds).

I've been troubleshooting (and rolling back/updating drivers, system restore) but there always seems to be a problem. I can go to the disk image I created in July 2013 (which I think I might do), but, I'm heading out on Vacation for a week tonight and thought I see if any of you might be able to throw out a suggestion.

Right now I'm only running the Ceton Tuners, my connection to my TV is HDMI (I believe this is all in my profile, could be wrong). I'll try checking this post while on vacation as my head has not been wrapped around HTPC (I really haven't had many problems other than the 'Subscription Required' known issue - I don't know a solution)... until the 4 tuner limit came back a month ago. Attempting to fix has just destroyed me.

Also, I thought I should re-install the codec pack (can't recall which one), went to the guides and couldn't find the basic set up one, kept getting thrown out to log back in (user=mattiedread).

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm very frustrated. I know I've probably left something out and I apologize.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page