Official Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 for HTPCs Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2223 Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's an interesting Hybrid by ASRock, a P67 chipset combined with a LGA 1156 (not 1155) socket.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...%20Transformer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2223 Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Andy,

If I understand this right, you disable UAC and automatically get 23.973 when selecting 23 Hz refresh rate, right?

How does this 23.973 (is it locked or does it drift up and down in the course of playback?) compared with the 23.69 - 23.8 produced by nVidia cards?

Great review, btw! Now, just waiting for some OEM to make a pre-built mini-HTPC out of this and the drivers to mature.

how soon till a sandy bridge based mini htpc? because i'm itching to get the Asrock Vision 3d but the price isn't dropping even though sandy bridge released so I refuse to get it at full price with sandy bridge based htpc's around the corner.

Asrock Vision3d price must either drop or i'll just wait for pre built sandy brdige based htpc or build one myself which I was ready to do but held off.

if I go that route what would be some good parts right now? main problem seems no case is going to be as small and good as asrock vision 3d.
post #63 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 327
There are (will be) lots of mini-ITX H67 mb (Intel, ASUS, ASRock, GIGABYTE, MSI, ZOTAC, ECS). Zotac H67-ITX built-in GT 430 is an interesting mb:

for better gaming performance and 720p 120Hz frame sequencing 3D video (e.g. Acer H5360), as well as proper 23.976Hz support. ZOTAC ZBOX Fermion (with the above mb inside):

The following case is as small as ASRock Vision 3D: HTPC-ITX2

120W is enough for SNB with on-die GPU, but not enough for SNB+GT 430, however (150W should be good). Overall this custom-built system is cheaper than ASRock Vision 3D and performs better (if you use GT 430).
LL
LL
LL
post #64 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsga View Post

What?? Still no proper 24p support! What a shame...

I keep hearing about how there no proper 24p support with the I3/5 clarkdale and now sandy bridge onboard graphics, what exactly does/doesn't it do?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #65 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Dosnt the Intel inside DRM concern anybody? Cmon.

post #66 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Anything specific you are worried about? Haven't heard of any DRM problems with Intel boards/chips.
post #67 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Its sounds cool, but its going to be bad for every body, mark my words, its in place for studios to send protected content straight to people with sandybridge cpus, more and more content will only be allowed to sandybridges, copyrighted material, vendors, content distributors are all going to start using it,so you will either have to own a sandybrige and pay for media or not be able to get protected media, have to find a work around, wich prob won't be that big of deal but its just another hassle, I grantee that's where headed, it sounds cool at first because people with sandybridge will be able to have content others can't but after awhile its just one more lock on content, it can't be good. I like the sound of it too, all the cool features, upgrades, specs, availability to content otherwise couldn't be made available, i just think its the start of something bad imo.

post #68 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

source?
post #69 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
That needs no source, as its just the usual FUD. With every new DRM people come out of the woodwork spreading rumors how evil the companys are and how bad it'll turn out.

Wait and see, you won't be able to change a thing anyway.
post #70 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

From a quick googling it seems this is it. Looks like just another distribution channel for media which, by the way, goes against all wildly successful content distribution schemes of the past years, where NOT being hardware-specific played a huge role in success (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, Amazon MP3s and Kindle, etc.). No way it's locking anything down, and I'd be surprised if it even surpassed blu-ray popularity.

BTW, worse things were said about Vista and its "DRM".
post #71 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

... as well as proper 23.976Hz support. ZOTAC ZBOX Fermion (with the above mb inside):

The GT 430 does 23Hz, but its precision is much worse than SNB with UAC disabled (UAC enabled is another story). If you want proper 23.976Hz you need to get an AMD GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

I keep hearing about how there no proper 24p support with the I3/5 clarkdale and now sandy bridge onboard graphics, what exactly does/doesn't it do?

The Clarkdale GPU lacks any precision beyond the decimal point so 23/24Hz = 24.000Hz, 59/60Hz = 60.000Hz instead of 23.976/24.000 and 59.940/60.000. SNB suffers from the same issue if UAC is not disabled (??), but once it is you get a much better level of precision (i.e. 23.973 for 23.976).

Quote:

Dosnt the Intel inside DRM concern anybody? Cmon.

No more than AACS, PlayReady, WM-DRM, BD+, FairPlay, etc. concern me... Our world is riddled with DRM, what's one more?
post #72 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

The GT 430 does 23Hz, but its precision is much worse than SNB with UAC disabled (UAC enabled is another story). If you want proper 23.976Hz you need to get an AMD GPU.

You wrote:

Quote:

As noted earlier the GT 430 supports proper 24p playback (i.e. 23.976 and 24.000 Hz playback)

In reality I haven't seen any refresh rate issue with GT 430, unlike Clarkdale/SNB (who'd want to disable UAC? At least I don't, yup many people don't mind).
post #73 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You wrote:

If you read it closely, I said NVIDIA has a good history of supporting proper 24p

Looking at the MPC-HC screen shots you can see that while it does a good job it's not perfect.

edit - damnit you're right, I did say "proper". oops

Quote:

In reality I haven't seen any refresh rate issue with GT 430,

Me either, but of the three it has the lowest precision and greatest variance.

Quote:

unlike Clarkdale/SNB (who'd want to disable UAC? At least I don't).

I generally crank UAC up to the highest level on my PCs (it's not that useful on the lower settings); but while I still have philosophical issues with disabling it on a dedicated HTPC when I weigh that against NVIDIA's 3D user experience and the semi-closed nature of the box it not a blocking issue for me. If I did more with my HTPC, it would be.
post #74 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

its my opinion, I don't think any DRM is good

post #75 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

That needs no source, as its just the usual FUD. With every new DRM people come out of the woodwork spreading rumors how evil the companys are and how bad it'll turn out.

Wait and see, you won't be able to change a thing anyway.

I'm not spreading rumors, its my opinion. I think its bad that there taking money from studios trying to put a lock on everything, hdmi, blockage of analog, prosecuting torrent downloaders thru cablecompanys, encrypted tv channels, etc. I just dont like restriction, and a fact is its getting to be more and more prevalent everywhere.

post #76 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

its my opinion, I don't think any DRM is good

Good in what sense? I don't like that it exists, and anyone paying attention knows that DRM accomplishes none of its published goals so it is a horribly inefficient way to allocate resources. But content providers think it inconveniences enough of their customers to allow high quality A/V into the wild for the rest of us to liberate and use how we see fit is a good thing - all IMO, of course
post #77 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not spreading rumors, its my opinion. I think its bad that there taking money from studios trying to put a lock on everything, hdmi, blockage of analog, prosecuting torrent downloaders thru cablecompanys, encrypted tv channels, etc. I just dont like restriction, and a fact is its getting to be more and more prevalent everywhere.

For the love of god QFT, nobody cares, you're presenting nothing new and just add adding off topic noise to this thread. Move on.
post #78 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is not like HDMI (which I do hate), or closing the analog hole. The SB DRM is not restricting anything except its own distribution channel. At the end it may or may not be its death. God knows how Blu-ray's popularity would be if it were as simple to use as, say, DVD or VHS, instead of having to connect to the internet, use DRM-riddled digital connections, and all those ridiculous updates.
post #79 of 2223 Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:

If it wasn't for thieving schmucks who seem to feel it's their right to take any content they desire for free we wouldn't be in this situation. DRM costs studios money to implement, quite a bit of money. It's doubtful that they like it any more than the rest of the honest people out there who pay for content since it drives up the cost for those who do rightfully and honestly pay.

And here's the biggest rub. Copyright law demands DRM. Content producers and distributors, by law, must make a concerted effort to protect their content. If not, the content producers lose their ownership rights and distrbutors can be subject to lawsuits for not properly protecting ownership rights.

So don't blame the studios/content producers/distributors. They are merely doing what the law demands. Point the finger at the thieving scumbags who steal that which doesn't belong to them in the first place and makes the rest of us have to jump through hoops to legally obtain that content and drives up the end cost to us in the process.
post #80 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

For the love of god QFT, nobody cares, you're presenting nothing new and just add adding off topic noise to this thread. Move on.

You QFT buddy, I simply wanted to hear what other INTELLIGENT people thought about it, its not off topic at all as as I am researching parts for my high end Htpc, and am considering using a sandybrige Htpc. If I'm not mistaken that's what this thread is about.

post #81 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Sandybrige CPU that is

post #82 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain View Post

If it wasn't for thieving schmucks who seem to feel it's their right to take any content they desire for free we wouldn't be in this situation. DRM costs studios money to implement, quite a bit of money. It's doubtful that they like it any more than the rest of the honest people out there who pay for content since it drives up the cost for those who do rightfully and honestly pay.

And here's the biggest rub. Copyright law demands DRM. Content producers and distributors, by law, must make a concerted effort to protect their content. If not, the content producers lose their ownership rights and distrbutors can be subject to lawsuits for not properly protecting ownership rights.

So don't blame the studios/content producers/distributors. They are merely doing what the law demands. Point the finger at the thieving scumbags who steal that which doesn't belong to them in the first place and makes the rest of us have to jump through hoops to legally obtain that content and drives up the end cost to us in the process.

So you don't believe in recording a vhs or beta tape, recording off of tv, what about making rips to your pc from dvd you.bought? I pay for so much content a month its ridiculous. I have a huge BLURAY/hddvd/dvd collection that I bought, I Pay for high speed internet, playon ,Netflix, sling, cellphone media, ppv, vod, theatre tickets, rent blurays, rentdvds, etc. I agrree pirateing at a malicious thieving level is bad, ie: torrents from theatres movies, taking your camera into the theatre etc. You can't tell me you have never copied a rented vhs? I hate thievery too.

I was saying that I think getting more and more restrictive of content is not a good thing and I hope sb DRM dosnt further that, that's all.

post #83 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 AM

For anyone looking for a 24p solution with SNB, we saw an interesting solution from ZOTAC at CES that integrates a GT430 on an H67 mini-ITX.

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #84 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #85 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:

This one? The same page.

Yep Forgive me, it's been a long several days...

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #86 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 AM

What's with all the commas joey? I'm getting anxiety attacks while anticipating a period!
post #87 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain View Post

I'm struggling to find anything factually correct in this statement.
post #88 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndigital81
What's with all the commas joey? I'm getting anxiety attacks while anticipating a period!
I'm, on, my, phone, so, I, am trying, to, save, words, cause, I don't, have, a physical, keyboard, and, it, gets, tiring, typing,

post #89 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
So you don't believe in recording a vhs or beta tape, recording off of tv, what about making rips to your pc from dvd you.bought? I pay for so much content a month its ridiculous. I have a huge BLURAY/hddvd/dvd collection that I bought, I Pay for high speed internet, playon ,Netflix, sling, cellphone media, ppv, vod, theatre tickets, rent blurays, rentdvds, etc. I agrree pirateing at a malicious thieving level is bad, ie: torrents from theatres movies, taking your camera into the theatre etc. You can't tell me you have never copied a rented vhs? I hate thievery too.

I was saying that I think getting more and more restrictive of content is not a good thing and I hope sb DRM dosnt further that, that's all.
I'm not against copying for personal use or for making backups of content that people legitimately own. I also don't believe that DRM is implemented specifically to prevent that sort of personal use. DRM, however faulty the implementation, is intended to reduce thievery and unlawful distribution. It's a response to those that take advantange of the ease of digital reproduction for reasons beyond their own personal use. Yet the blame always seems to go to the companies who put that protection in place instead of where it righfully belongs - the thieves that initiated that response in the first place.

Blaming the big, bad media companies for DRM seems to be a popular meme on the internet, similar to Microsoft bashing. imo, it's misplaced blame. I dislike DRM as much as the next guy but I'm not going to blame the media companies for its implementation, I'm going to blame the source of the problem. If it weren't for thieves DRM would not be necessary.

And no, I have never copied a rented or borrowed VHS, CD, DVD, or BD. The only copies I have are of CDs, DVDs, and BDs that I own.
post #90 of 2223 Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Sandy Bridge's "DRM" is not going to affect anything you currently do. It's based on a new distribution channel that has not been released. Everything you can do on a HTPC now, you can do with a Sandy Bridge HTPC. I'm currently ripping DVD's and BD's from my collection onto my Sandy Bridge HTPC as we speak.

Sharp AQUOS 46" LED (LC46LE700)
Pioneer VSX-9130 TXH-K
Paradigm Cinema Phantom
Xbox 360 Elite (GT: Redfox29311)
LG BD270 Bluray
All the Monoprice wires you can find
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page