bluray playback now is choppy from network? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a client/server setup with movies on both my server and my desktop and I watch movies (mainly blurays) on my HTPC. Everything's been fine for a while but the past few months I'm having trouble with movies stopping then starting. It seems like it plays for 3 secs then takes 1 sec break then plays for 4 more.... but if i pause i'll be able to watch 15 secs before it pauses then plays for 3 secs.

Specs:
full cat6 throughout the house (wired myself so could be loose connection problem?) with gigabit network cards

10TB SATA2 drives on desktop
2TB SATA2 to USB drive on server
HTPC has 5670 videocard and 4gb DDR3 1600 (running single channel) with AM3 810 quad core.

I have Mcafee antivirus but tried disabling. Also watch through TMT3 in media center.

I can copy the movie to my HTPC and watch the movie fine (get 10MB/s transfer speeds) but don't want to wait 15 or so minutes to copy the file then just delete it after.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 PM

I recently had a similar issue playing back media from my server. I think my computer was stuttering because of a new version of the network driver from Realtek. There was a new option for green ethernet in the nic device properties. I uninstalled the driver until it was using the version that came with Win 7 which did not have the green ethernet option. All is well again.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Let me just make sure I'm understanding the set-up here. Movies are on Media server computer. You are playing the Movies on your separate HTPC machine over your Lan. Assuming the movie plays fine from the HTPC local drive, it's not a playback/codec issue, it probably means it's a networking issue. Try playing the movie on the HTPC while watching network utilization in the task manager (ctrl+alt+Del ---> task manager ---> networking Tab). It shouldn't rise above more than 30% or so and there shouldn't be too many spikes once it get's going. If the utilization drops to 0 when the movie is freezing then it's a networking problem. If not, it's more likely a codec problem.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Device Manager > Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Properties > Advanced > Interrupt Moderation: Disabled. (Enabling it is the single biggest issue for streaming HD videos.)
post #5 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its definitely a network problem. I've been monitoring networking and it's always low like under 10%.

I'll try disabling the realtek option.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Any luck, I have the exact same issue recently. I have a central machine running WHS with all my media shares. I never used to have issues until a few weeks ago. Did all the codec trouble shooting (SHARKS Win 7). Today I copied a troubled file to the local HTPC and it played perfectly. So for me it is def. a network issues as well. When I check the CPU/Mem use of the server it's always around 10-25% CPU and half of Memory used. The networking utilization is under 10%. I have it connected from the server to the HTPC with full CAT 6 only 3 feet away with a cable I did not make myself. The HTPC as well as the server state they are connected at 1.0Gbps. They are however going through a router. Are their any known issues a router could cause?
post #7 of 36 Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133 View Post

Any luck, I have the exact same issue recently. I have a central machine running WHS with all my media shares. I never used to have issues until a few weeks ago. Did all the codec trouble shooting (SHARKS Win 7). Today I copied a troubled file to the local HTPC and it played perfectly. So for me it is def. a network issues as well. When I check the CPU/Mem use of the server it's always around 10-25% CPU and half of Memory used. The networking utilization is under 10%. I have it connected from the server to the HTPC with full CAT 6 only 3 feet away with a cable I did not make myself. The HTPC as well as the server state they are connected at 1.0Gbps. They are however going through a router. Are their any known issues a router could cause?

What NIC do you have in the WHS? Have you tried any of the NIC troubleshooting steps in this thread? What router do you have, and have you changed any of the router config settings recently (or upgraded the firmware)?
post #8 of 36 Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

not to change subjects but uninstall macafee and use mse
post #9 of 36 Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

What NIC do you have in the WHS? Have you tried any of the NIC troubleshooting steps in this thread? What router do you have, and have you changed any of the router config settings recently (or upgraded the firmware)?

I dont have any anti virus installed. My router is a Linksys WRT610N. Firmware is latest. I have tried DDwrt firmware with same results.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133 View Post

I dont have any anti virus installed. My router is a Linksys WRT610N. Firmware is latest. I have tried DDwrt firmware with same results.

What NIC is installed in your WHS computer?
post #11 of 36 Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Realtek pcie gigabit family controller. Last night I disabled green ethernet as well as flow control. Didn't have a chance to test yet.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM

I was having this problem when my PC woke from sleep. I disabled the interrupt moderation and green ethernet. It works great now no more choppy HD playback. Thanks for the help.
post #13 of 36 Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif225
I was having this problem when my PC woke from sleep. I disabled the interrupt moderation and green ethernet. It works great now no more choppy HD playback. Thanks for the help.
I do use standby..ill give the interupt moderation a try
post #14 of 36 Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Seemed to do the trick. Awesome! Thanks
post #15 of 36 Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'm experiencing significant stuttering when playing video, usually hi-def MKV, over my network. I've tried everything in this topic. The problem goes away, if I reboot the server, and doesn't return until the server has been idle for hours. Problem is 100% reproducible once it begins, but playing the same media from locally attached SATA drive works flawlessly.

During the problem, network traffic is minimal, CPU utilization is minimal, and memory usage is well within reasonable limits, on both the server and the player.

Server:
* Windows 7 32-bit
* GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 (Realtek 8111D 1Gb NIC)
* AMD Athlon II X4 635
* Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
* Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green 64 MB WD20EARS

Player:
* Windows 7 32-bit
* GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H (Realtek RTL8111E 1Gb NIC)
* Intel Core i3 530 2.93 GHz LGA1156
* HIS Radeon HD 5450 Silence 512 MB DDR3
* MPC-HC

Network:
* Hardwired
* NICs hardwired to 1Gbps
* Green Ethernet disabled
* Interrupt moderation disabled
* Two HP ProCurve 1410-8G J9559 Gigabit switches
* Server connected directly to first switch in basement
* Player connected directly to second switch on first floor
* The two network switches are connected directly to each other

I've also already tried multiple versions of the Realtek drivers, MPC-HC, ffdshow, and the Radeon CCC.

Any suggestions?

TIA /jab
post #16 of 36 Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I've got an Asus P7H55M PRO that I got right after they came out (early last year if I remember right). It has the Realtek PCIe ethernet adapter built on. All was well for a long time. We went quite a while without watching a movie from the server, and when we did notice the terrible playback. I started off thinking it was a network problem, but dismissed that when I tested the read speed off the server through the network to the HTPC at over 80 MB/s. WAY more than enough for Blu-ray.

In any case, after an obscene amount of troubleshooting, I figured out Realtek's drivers just plan SUCK. I'm guessing the problem started when Windows Update updated the driver at some point. I tried disabling Interrupt Moderation, Green Ethernet, and Flow Control....all seemed to help initially, but the problem came back after a bit.

Last night I ended up uninstalling the driver for the Realtek until it dropped back to the driver that came with Windows 7 (dated 2008) and everything's been working well again ever since.

If I see another hiccup like I was seeing, I'm just saying screw it and ordering an Intel NIC for $30 and moving on with my life.

Stupid. I'm totally stupid.
But, "they" say ignorance is bliss.
I just wish I knew what "they" were talking about.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the version number of the Realtek driver you installed?
post #18 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Its labeled as:

Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Driver Provider - Microsoft
Driver Date - 2/26/2008
Driver Version - 7.2.1127.2008
Digital Signer - Microsoft Windows

To get to this, I had to uninstall the driver for the NIC twice. The driver started out as a Realtek driver from 12/10, then reverted to one from around 6/10, then dropped back to this Microsoft one and seems to have started working.

No problems so far, but again, if I have more problems, I'm just going to order an Intel NIC and be done with it.

Stupid. I'm totally stupid.
But, "they" say ignorance is bliss.
I just wish I knew what "they" were talking about.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Liked: 14
I have been fighting a similar problem to this for close to a year. I have replaced both nic in my WHS and HTPC with Intel nics and it did not help. I have tried all the things in this thread and a bunch of other things as well. I have the problem happening much less but still not fixed. I think it is network related because I can make it happen on multiple PC's and they all play fine when the file is moved to a local drive.

I think it may be a bad disk in my WHS? All disks show as healthy but I have a feeling that one if going and causing it to stutter once in a while. I have also taken a movie that stutters really bad and copied it to a local drive and then deleted it from the server. After deleting it I copied it back to the drive pool which then there is a good chance WHS will put it on a different drive than the one it was on. After doing this the movie would play fine. This again lead me to think I may have a drive going bad.

How can I test the individual disks in WHS to see if one is dieing?

I also have a few older ATA drives in my server. Could those drives cause any problems?
post #20 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with facilities in WHS for testing disks. Is it different than Windows in general? Can you not use the disk testing software available for download from the manufacturer?

Can you remove a WHS disk temporarily and use it in another computer? If so, if you find a movie that consistently stutters, you can use one of these to very easily use the drive temporarily on any other computer with eSATA or USB. There's also a dual drive version of that widget. If the stuttering goes away, the problem is unlikely to be with the drive itself.

For how to test the disk, I think you might get a better reply on the disk issue in one of the following topics:

Guide to Building a HD HTPC

Guide To Building A Media Storage Server

If the drives are fine and you still have stuttering, definitely come back here for further troubleshooting. If the drives are bad, it would good to close the loop here too anyway.

Good luck!
post #21 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I posted in another thread that a dying SYSTEM disk in my WHS caused this issue.

Get a new system disk and install WHS as a rebuild (I think that's right, you'll see new installation or rebuild, restore, something like that, it'll be obvious...). If this does not do the trick you can always put back the original drive. This will NOT erase data on your storage disks.

And ironically, it was a PATA drive that caused my issue (used to be called ATA but now you kind of have to specify whether it's a P or an A). Since the min requirement for WHS is 120gb, I used an older Hitachi 160gb 7200 RPM drive for system. Mistake.

And don't be afraid to put more than 120gb as your system disk. WHS will use the remainder for storage.

Oh, and to test your storage drives, you have some work ahead of you. You will have to tell WHS to remove a drive, test, put the drive back and reconnect, tell it to remove the next drive, and so-on. This is going to take some serious time.

And you guys that do your own cabling, if you are old like me and remember only using wires 1,2,3, and 6; gigabit needs all 8. I've seen that before too.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

@Aegwyn11 Thanks! I'll give it a try.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post

Its labeled as:

Driver Date - 2/26/2008

To get to this, I had to uninstall the driver for the NIC twice. The driver started out as a Realtek driver from 12/10, then reverted to one from around 6/10, then dropped back to this Microsoft one and seems to have started working.

No problems so far, but again, if I have more problems, I'm just going to order an Intel NIC and be done with it.

Yep, uninstall twice yielded the same driver for me. After that, I disabled Interrupt Moderation and locked Speed & Duplex at 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

I noticed that Flow Control defaults to disabled, so I've left it that way.

Fingers crossed.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

Yep, uninstall twice yielded the same driver for me. After that, I disabled Interrupt Moderation and locked Speed & Duplex at 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

Fingers crossed.

My computer still has the original 2008 driver on it. It has never been updated.

I would suggest opening Microsoft update and unchecking "Give me recommendend updates". I manually check and install the optional updates as needed.

post #25 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I don't think the problem drivers (if that's what is the problem) came from Microsoft. I think they came from RealTek, either from the driver disc that came with the motherboard, the motherboard manufacturer's website, or RealTek's website. Nonetheless, what you say is good advice.

I do notice there is an updated Microsoft driver from 2009. However, I'm going to let my current configuration soak awhile before trying it. So far, so good.
post #26 of 36 Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
One thing that you could check is ensure the folder that houses your movies is indexed with windows.

I'm not sure if that will help or not, but it defiately helped on my networked laptops when I wanted to view a folder of pictures in large thumbnail mode. Without it networked, it would take forever to produce an image for each picture.
post #27 of 36 Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Try this. It may solve it.

- Open a command prompt as administrator, type in this command "netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled", hit enter, It'll say "ok". Either reboot, or disable/enable your network adapter.

See if things improve.
post #28 of 36 Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've noticed that I can barely stream from a USB external drive. I keep some movies on my server's backup external usb drive and they're always choppy.
post #29 of 36 Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Well....then you have bigger problems.
post #30 of 36 Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post

Driver Date - 2/26/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

No problems since making the above driver and settings change. Thanks for your help!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page