Approximately How Many Blu-Ray Movies Can Be Ripped To A 1TB Drive? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By dmillionz
  • 3 Post By kazinvan
  • 2 Post By killerip
  • 1 Post By dmillionz

Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Approximately how many Blu-Ray movies without extras, subtitles and one HD sound track can be ripped to a 1TB hard drive without compromising bitrate or signal quality?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have 33 on one
Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its like dvds they vary in size because of the length and the PQ. Some are 20gb some are 40gb. You are going to run out of space quick though.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Average size of main movie titles with one HD track varies between 20GB-to-30GB.
35 movies would be a realistic number for uncompressed 1 title backups.
Depending on the authoring and thus the file size, the number could go up or down.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
A lot depends on how you rip them. If you rip the entire disc, then there is no way to estimate since they vary so muck with the special features, directors/ heater/extended cuts, etc... However, if you use clown BD and just rip the movie, then it's a little easier. I always estimate 25gb per BD (movie only). Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
i have around 80 on a 2tb so do the math but yea 35-40 or so is good guess...
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know this is a dead thread, but I'm wondering if 5 years later the same numbers apply since technology has improved so much. I need to know if it's still in the range of 30-40 unaltered blu-ray movies with the HD audio tracks (including Atmos and DTS:X) per 1TB? Without the Extras of course. Those will be fine on the disk BUT what is an average size for extras? Also, what is the size of a 3D rip of the same quality? I have quite an extensive collection (almost 700 standard and 3D blus) and am in the process of going digital with a NAS server and need to get the right TBs of storage. I want the movies, standard and 3D, to look and sound as if the disk is in the drive so quality will dictate my storage needs. Get me as close to realistic as possible.

Thanks in advance.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | Blu-Ray/Gaming: PS4 2TB, PS3 1TB
Speakers: Polk LSi-M Series: 1 x 706c, 2 x 707, 4 x 900LS, 2 x 703, 4 x 702F/X | Subs: 2 x SVS PB2000, 2 x SVS PC12+
Video: Optoma HD37, Darbee DVP5000S | AMPs: Parasound 2125 & Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 | Power: Furman Elite 20 PFi & Elite 15 PFi
Screen & Misc: 120" Elite Screens VMax 2, Harmony Elite
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I know this is a dead thread, but I'm wondering if 5 years later the same numbers apply since technology has improved so much. I need to know if it's still in the range of 30-40 unaltered blu-ray movies with the HD audio tracks (including Atmos and DTS:X) per 1TB? Without the Extras of course. Those will be fine on the disk BUT what is an average size for extras? Also, what is the size of a 3D rip of the same quality? I have quite an extensive collection (almost 700 standard and 3D blus) and am in the process of going digital with a NAS server and need to get the right TBs of storage. I want the movies, standard and 3D, to look and sound as if the disk is in the drive so quality will dictate my storage needs. Get me as close to realistic as possible.

Thanks in advance.
I do my rips as a total copy, especially with 3d since its a lot more picky. I estimate 20 movies per TB (purchased TB) since that is preformatted. You need for your size collection I would guess at least 30TB's. Checked out UnRAID yet? I love 3-D also!

Also be careful about the SMR tech its sneaky, they now have it in 4tb drives.

OTA with 2 handcrafted 4 bays | Whole home Wired GigE | UnRaid running on SC846 24 bay TAMS | Arris SB 6183 - 200/20 | Main Screen - Sony 60W850B | 2 OSMC rpi to 2 - 27" monitors | 1 x 40TB backup running FlexRaid | 1 x Nexus 4 | 2 x Nexus 7 | iPod touch 6gen
Old 05-04-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerip View Post
I do my rips as a total copy, especially with 3d since its a lot more picky. I estimate 20 movies per TB (purchased TB) since that is preformatted. You need for your size collection I would guess at least 30TB's. Checked out UnRAID yet? I love 3-D also!

Also be careful about the SMR tech its sneaky, they now have it in 4tb drives.
About the UnRAID, I went with an all inclusive and scalable solution. I just bought a Synology DS3615xs, 3 x 8GB Seagate Enterprise 7200RPM drives and 2 Samsung PRO 512GB SSD drives based on a lot of research and recommendations. I maxed out the Synology at 32GB Ram also to make sure this thing doesn't miss a beat delivering and data across the network. I guess I'm one drive short based on your post, but thankfully I have plenty of room to expand. Apparently Synology has everything I need in place to provide Raid type protection without the snags and limitations. If you feel UnRAID is better, please explain. Would love to know.

And what's SMR tech?

Speakers: Polk LSi-M Series: 1 x 706c, 2 x 707, 4 x 900LS, 2 x 703, 4 x 702F/X | Subs: 2 x SVS PB2000, 2 x SVS PC12+
Video: Optoma HD37, Darbee DVP5000S | AMPs: Parasound 2125 & Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 | Power: Furman Elite 20 PFi & Elite 15 PFi
Old 05-04-2016, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
About the UnRAID, I went with an all inclusive and scalable solution. I just bought a Synology DS3615xs, 3 x 8GB Seagate Enterprise 7200RPM drives and 2 Samsung PRO 512GB SSD drives based on a lot of research and recommendations. I maxed out the Synology at 32GB Ram also to make sure this thing doesn't miss a beat delivering and data across the network. I guess I'm one drive short based on your post, but thankfully I have plenty of room to expand. Apparently Synology has everything I need in place to provide Raid type protection without the snags and limitations. If you feel UnRAID is better, please explain. Would love to know.

And what's SMR tech?
That Raid type protection comes at a cost. 3 x 8TB drives will, at best, give you 16TB of storage if you're wanting any sort of redundancy. Sounds to me like you need at least 2 more 8TB drives.

SMR is Shingled magnetic recording and is a technology found in "archive" drives.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
That Raid type protection comes at a cost. 3 x 8TB drives will, at best, give you 16TB of storage if you're wanting any sort of redundancy. Sounds to me like you need at least 2 more 8TB drives.

SMR is Shingled magnetic recording and is a technology found in "archive" drives.
2 more drives?! Dang. That's good to know. I'll grab a few more soon to get it out of the way. Thanks for the info. HTPC and NAS is definitely far more complex than I thought it would be. BTW, what do you recommend for the 3D rips? Hearing from someone doing it right trumps all the material I've read.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 123
You using raid5 with 8tb hdd?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
I know this is a dead thread, but I'm wondering if 5 years later the same numbers apply since technology has improved so much. I need to know if it's still in the range of 30-40 unaltered blu-ray movies with the HD audio tracks (including Atmos and DTS:X) per 1TB? Without the Extras of course.
Technology is irrelevant, if you don't re-encode the vide (which you won't be for "unaltered"), it's just a matter of the size on the disc, and those discs are 50GB, so the comments above stand. Figure 20-40GB/movie.

Quote:
Those will be fine on the disk BUT what is an average size for extras?
Be pessimistic and figure 50GB/disc.

Quote:
Also, what is the size of a 3D rip of the same quality?
I know if you rip ISOs it's still in the 30-50GB range, not sure about MKV, I think they might end up quite a bit larger due to not being able to use filesystem tricks like the discs do.

Quote:
I have quite an extensive collection (almost 700 standard and 3D blus) and am in the process of going digital with a NAS server and need to get the right TBs of storage. I want the movies, standard and 3D, to look and sound as if the disk is in the drive so quality will dictate my storage needs. Get me as close to realistic as possible.
Well, 700 * 30GB = 21TB, so that's 4, 6TB drives, plus 1 for parity, so 5 total.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
2 more drives?! Dang. That's good to know. I'll grab a few more soon to get it out of the way. Thanks for the info. HTPC and NAS is definitely far more complex than I thought it would be. BTW, what do you recommend for the 3D rips? Hearing from someone doing it right trumps all the material I've read.
MakeMKV full disk backup for 3d and it is not a 100%. 3d is hit or miss at times. Select a specific audio profiles/subs/streams to reduce size on non-3d sources. Watch out for the SMR drives as they are not built to be write intense. For instance with scrubs on your NAS you can hit the duty cycle for the year easy. I have seen some drobo 8tb seagate SMR drive fail videos popping up on youtube, and almost did an 8tb seagate on accident.

You might just start your NAS now and rip and get used to it, HDD prices right now are not looking great IMHO.

OTA with 2 handcrafted 4 bays | Whole home Wired GigE | UnRaid running on SC846 24 bay TAMS | Arris SB 6183 - 200/20 | Main Screen - Sony 60W850B | 2 OSMC rpi to 2 - 27" monitors | 1 x 40TB backup running FlexRaid | 1 x Nexus 4 | 2 x Nexus 7 | iPod touch 6gen
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
MakeMKV full disk backup for 3d and it is not a 100%. 3d is hit or miss at times. Select a specific audio profiles/subs/streams to reduce size on non-3d sources. Watch out for the SMR drives as they are not built to be write intense. For instance with scrubs on your NAS you can hit the duty cycle for the year easy. I have seen some drobo 8tb seagate SMR drive fail videos popping up on youtube, and almost did an 8tb seagate on accident.

You might just start your NAS now and rip and get used to it, HDD prices right now are not looking great IMHO.
Great advice. What drive(s) do you recommend?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
I just bought a Synology DS3615xs, 3 x 8GB Seagate Enterprise 7200RPM drives and 2 Samsung PRO 512GB SSD drives based on a lot of research and recommendations. I maxed out the Synology at 32GB Ram also to make sure this thing doesn't miss a beat delivering and data across the network.
I love Synology products, but I'm wondering why you spent $3000 dollars on a 12-bay enclosure, and then only put three hard drives in it. I'm assuming you used those SSDs as cache drives? Of course you have a lot of room to expand now, especially if you end up getting another two 12-bay expansion boxes. Why didn't you go with the much cheaper 8-bay enclosure to begin with, though? Just curious... If money is no object, then yeah, it doesn't get much better for a non-enterprise level storage system

Henry
Vizio M70-C3, Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Synology DS1813+ & DX513 x2
X-Rite i1Display Pro, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, madVR, HCFR
HTPC running Kodi with MPC-HC + madVR, Plex for remote streaming
Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
I love Synology products, but I'm wondering why you spent $3000 dollars on a 12-bay enclosure, and then only put three hard drives in it. I'm assuming you used those SSDs as cache drives? Of course you have a lot of room to expand now, especially if you end up getting another two 12-bay expansion boxes. Why didn't you go with the much cheaper 8-bay enclosure to begin with, though? Just curious... If money is no object, then yeah, it doesn't get much better for a non-enterprise level storage system
To maximize my return and overall cost of ownership. The solution I'm building will be used for both business (home-based) and personal. Now I can add additional storage as needed and without issue. It made sense to buy one of the best, most powerful and most flexible systems out there and then expand to what's needed when needed. I know I need another 3 or so drives right away and will grab them soon, but I have time as it will take me a while to get almost 700 blu-rays ripped. Business-related files are less that 2TB max. Yes the 2 SSDs are for cache. I will most likely need another couple of expansion boxes in the future and that's why starting with the best solution as a foundation was critical. The 8-bay drive was inferior in processor power, memory capacity and expandability and would have increased my total cost of ownership as our needs expanded by limiting maximum capacity. I was really after enterprise-level performance at home to make sure the system performs flawlessly both now and as technologies like UHD and VR become more accessible at home.
VBB likes this.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To maximize my return and overall cost of ownership. The solution I'm building will be used for both business (home-based) and personal. Now I can add additional storage as needed and without issue. It made sense to buy one of the best, most powerful and most flexible systems out there and then expand to what's needed when needed. I know I need another 3 or so drives right away and will grab them soon, but I have time as it will take me a while to get almost 700 blu-rays ripped. Business-related files are less that 2TB max. Yes the 2 SSDs are for cache. I will most likely need another couple of expansion boxes in the future and that's why starting with the best solution as a foundation was critical. The 8-bay drive was inferior in processor power, memory capacity and expandability and would have increased my total cost of ownership as our needs expanded by limiting maximum capacity. I was really after enterprise-level performance at home to make sure the system performs flawlessly both now and as technologies like UHD and VR become more accessible at home.
Got it Awesome setup to start with. One word of caution: If you haven't started setting up the RAID yet, or if you have a chance to do it again, make sure you use Synology's RAID 6 equivalent (SHR2). You will need more drives than you already have, and you'll end up losing two of them to redundancy, but you will be able to sleep a little better at night going forward. Trust me I made the mistake of starting out with their RAID 5 version, and now that I'm at 72TB with 18 hard drives, let's just say it can get a little scary...

Henry
Onkyo HT-RC360
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM

WD SE vs WD RED PRO prices

Quote:
Great advice. What drive(s) do you recommend?
Warranty time frame is also very important to look at. This is why at the current time I would say WD SE (which is a datacenter drive) with the 5 year warranty is actually the best priced option and the only one going down in price.

https://findcooldeals.com/B00CYSYYU8...nch-wd4000f9yz

However as far as current prices, I speak from a bit of authority when I say Hard drive prices are not trending down right now, I run that site and have several million items price history over the past year. The reds (non-PRO reds) line is just not dropping in price as a trend and have a pretty large userbase. As well why pay more for a lesser drive that has a lower (3 yr) warranty period?

https://findcooldeals.com/B00LO3KRM8...nch-wd4001ffsx

I would fallback suggest the WD red PRO line for NAS use would be the lowest suggested level of use that still has a 5 year on it. However they are more new ATM.

Last edited by killerip; 05-04-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Warranty time frame is also very important to look at. This is why at the current time I would say WD SE (which is a datacenter drive) with the 5 year warranty is actually the best priced option and the only one going down in price.

https://findcooldeals.com/B00CYSYYU8...nch-wd4000f9yz

However as far as current prices, I speak from a bit of authority when I say Hard drive prices are not trending down right now, I run that site and have several million items price history over the past year. The reds (non-PRO reds) line is just not dropping in price as a trend and have a pretty large userbase. As well why pay more for a lesser drive that has a lower (3 yr) warranty period?

https://findcooldeals.com/B00LO3KRM8...nch-wd4001ffsx

I would fallback suggest the WD red PRO line for NAS use would be the lowest suggested level of use that still has a 5 year on it. However they are more new ATM.
I already ordered these as they were highly recommended but I would like to know your opinion. They're enterprise data center class and designed for the duty cycle of NAS/RAID environments. They have a 5 year warranty also. Seagate Enterprise NAS HDD 8TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 256 MB Cache Internal Bare Drive ST8000NE0001

Old 05-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Got it Awesome setup to start with. One word of caution: If you haven't started setting up the RAID yet, or if you have a chance to do it again, make sure you use Synology's RAID 6 equivalent (SHR2). You will need more drives than you already have, and you'll end up losing two of them to redundancy, but you will be able to sleep a little better at night going forward. Trust me I made the mistake of starting out with their RAID 5 version, and now that I'm at 72TB with 18 hard drives, let's just say it can get a little scary...
That's good stuff. I was already advised to go in that direction and your post just cemented that decision. I'm definitely doing the SHR2 thing at the foundation. Would 3 more 8TB drives get me where I need to be?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I have run a Synology for quite a few years, those boxes are awesome. I use the WD Red drives after trying a few. They seem to cause the least amount of problems.

If you ever need more space, and I mean a lot more , check this out: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-...torage-server/
I'm ordering two of those in a few weeks for my company.
VBB, killerip and dmillionz like this.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I already ordered these as they were highly recommended but I would like to know your opinion. They're enterprise data center class and designed for the duty cycle of NAS/RAID environments. They have a 5 year warranty also. Seagate Enterprise NAS HDD 8TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 256 MB Cache Internal Bare Drive ST8000NE0001
I'll preface my advice here a bit. I work with lots of engineers and admins, however I am a developer. I have seen the datacenters of one of the top 2 social media companies in the world. I always am asking about 2 things. Processors and HDD/SSD. Most of these uses are for write intense applications. Total overkill for a home user.

That said, Seagate does not have as good of a reputation even in the Enterprise compared to HGST. Now HGST was bought by WD, so they share knowledge. It was a great acquisition for WD. Im sure a lot of the HGST tech has found its way into the WD production lines. As a matter of a fact certain WD MyCloud early devices had HGST He8 drives in them. They now have WD Reds for the most part but still you get the picture as far as how they are manufacturing them. At 20 bucks more per 8tb disk, you could be getting an HGST He drive. At significantly less you could be getting WD Reds. WD Reds are prolly just batched a bit lower on the testing scale.

All of this talk of Enterprise drives is great, especially if you are looking at say sql performance, raid 60, and the such but I would just ask you 1 question. What is your backup strategy? I would take 2 mid grade drives so I have an up to date backup over a single point of failure built on enterprise drives. You are doing homework here and I would urge you to continue with that for a while, once the drives are in and spinning you will start thinking "how to rip" and that is a huge trial and error part of what you are doing also.

I think I can say safely most of the people with massive media connections are not buying tons of the highest dollar HDD's however. I personally have a much different approach, I target price per tb. Stack them deep and cheap. I am at $25/tb for my "buy trigger" for non-smr drives. I wont buy smr drives. I have a whole lot of seagates myself. I have the rest as WD's and a few Toshiba and HGST's as well. Do I have drives fail? Yes once every year about 1 or 2 will bite the dust. I don't lose data however, as I always have a few extras laying around. I have offsite backup and more importantly, I have a lot of integration that make me smile. Here is my current build and my parity is a 4tb and so are my drives. That machine it is all good with UnRaid and I can mix sizes if I want also.

http://jerodmoore.com/supermicro-846...rver-buildout/

24 bays setup, $500 including mods for the machine. 24(bays)x4(tb)x25($/tb) $2400. Grand Total, $2,900. Eventual Filled raw capacity, 96TB. Very useful for Home Media Server needs. Currently I need 5 drives only to hold my media stores, and I am waiting on filling the rest until I am happy with the $/tb.
VBB and dmillionz like this.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
I have run a Synology for quite a few years, those boxes are awesome. I use the WD Red drives after trying a few. They seem to cause the least amount of problems.

If you ever need more space, and I mean a lot more , check this out: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-...torage-server/
Those guys are awesome and +1 on the Reds.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
I'll preface my advice here a bit. I work with lots of engineers and admins, however I am a developer. I have seen the datacenters of one of the top 2 social media companies in the world. I always am asking about 2 things. Processors and HDD/SSD. Most of these uses are for write intense applications. Total overkill for a home user...
Great explanation and info. Much appreciated. You just exposed my noobness in this space. I have a lot to learn but I'm definitely going HGST or Red moving forward for sure.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:

Wow. That's impressive. I'm sure I'll have a need for that level of storage at home and the business in the future and they're obviously the way to go.
kazinvan likes this.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
We had one of those a few years ago (a 3.0 or a 4.0--can't remember), and it became a white elephant pretty quickly. Ended up leaving about 8U open above it for access clearance because it was too heavy to safely pull out. The thing felt like 150lbs or so.

If I could dedicate a full rack to those pods, I'd try again, but a single one mixed in with other gear was a failure.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post
We had one of those a few years ago (a 3.0 or a 4.0--can't remember), and it became a white elephant pretty quickly. Ended up leaving about 8U open above it for access clearance because it was too heavy to safely pull out. The thing felt like 150lbs or so.

If I could dedicate a full rack to those pods, I'd try again, but a single one mixed in with other gear was a failure.
I'm sure loaded with drives it's very heavy but no worse than a UPS. We have rack space and they will go at the bottom so makes things easier and safer. Hard to beat the amount of storage and the cost of storage for these units.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's good stuff. I was already advised to go in that direction and your post just cemented that decision. I'm definitely doing the SHR2 thing at the foundation. Would 3 more 8TB drives get me where I need to be?
For SHR2 you would need a total of four drives to begin with. You will lose the capacity of two drives, but the nice thing is that up to two drives can fail now at the same time. Be warned, though. The larger the volume, the longer it takes for a rebuild. I recently had my first drive failure in two years, and it took four days to rebuild. This was after I had expanded the volume from 52TB to 72TB, which took six days, I think.

Henry
Onkyo HT-RC360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement