Help with PC resolutions, receiver, and TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I have a little problem that I hope maybe someone has a solution (or at least an explanation) for.

Ever since I got our HTPC this summer (Dell Zino HD), something has looked just a tad off. Text was just barely distorted on the screen, like running a resolution on an LCD that wasn't its native. The PC is hooked up via HDMI and set at 1280x720.

Well, doing some digging, I learned that 1080i/720p sets like our Samsung LCD here are not 1280x720 but actually 1366x768. So, I came home and I adjusted the resolution to the closest thing available (1360x768), and I noticed no change in picture quality.

I did a little bit of playing around with things. I ensure that our Onkyo TX-SR606's HDMI settings were set to "Through" and not upscaling (although I don't think that should affect an HDMI input anyway, but only analog inputs). Nothing made any change.

Then, on a whim, I connected our computer directly to the TV's HDMI port. And, uh, it was crystal clear.

What is the Onkyo doing to that HDMI feed to distort it? Is it forcing it to 1280x720 (as is the "recommended" resolution in Windows 7 when hooked up to the receiver) regardless of what I do?

Are my options here 1) have the convenience of having all the video and audio feeds going into the receiver with a lesser picture or 2) gain picture quality at the expense of the "one input for TV" setup? Or is there something else I could try?

I'm building an new rig geared more for games here this week, so I might play around with games and video when the new one gets built and see if it's noticeable there or not. It could very well be only in text that I can notice it, and since this isn't designed to be a browsing / WP machine, perhaps I'll just leave it. Still seems weird, though. I've not been able to find any info on what's going on anywhere else, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yes, the Onkyo, as all HDMI1.3/1.4 AVRs, will only accept standard HDTV resolutions (e.g. 1080p/i or 720p). You could try running video through the VGA port to the TV and audio over the HDMI connection to the Onkyo but then maybe losing picture control or calibration on the Samsung and also, it would be analog video, if that makes a difference to you.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation!

The new PC I'm building has optical audio out on the motherboard. Optical is still OK for Blu-Ray, correct? You don't need HDMI to get the protected, Master audio do you?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Yes, you do need HDMI to get the HD audio formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA.

I've been through the same issues you have. Try setting your resolution to 1080p and then make the icons and text bigger in Control Panel. I get a nice clear picture with that on both my 720p and 1080p TVs (Panny plasma and LG plasma, respectively). Resolutions other than the standard ones and I get the blurry pic too. My AVR is the Onkyo 605.

Does you TV have a "Just Scan" (1:1 pixel mapping) mode so you don't have to adjust for overscan on the PC? I noticed too I get a better picture that way.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Yes, you do need HDMI to get the HD audio formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA.

I've been through the same issues you have. Try setting your resolution to 1080p and then make the icons and text bigger in Control Panel. I get a nice clear picture with that on both my 720p and 1080p TVs (Panny plasma and LG plasma, respectively). Resolutions other than the standard ones and I get the blurry pic too. My AVR is the Onkyo 605.

Does you TV have a "Just Scan" (1:1 pixel mapping) mode so you don't have to adjust for overscan on the PC? I noticed too I get a better picture that way.

I believe I do have the Just Scan option (I've got a Samsung LN40A450 40" LCD). I'll have to try and mess around with the 1080p options. Although, for games, that might be unnecessarily taxing on the computer, but I can play with it.

I also realized, if need be, I think I can run audio via HDMI on the video card and video from DVI->HDMI to the TV. That should be the best of both worlds (except, you know, have it just work the way it should ).

Thanks for the help guys! If anyone else has any other thoughts, please let me know!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I suggest not using 1080i for your resolution. I disable this option on sources that give me the option (PC, PS3) and just run 720p or even better 1366x768. I've had better luck this way. I am not familiar with your receiver, but if it has upscaling capabilities, you might turn them off as you don't want to scale 1366x768 to 1080i for example.

You shouldn't be sending your TV 1080p since it's a 720p TV.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Uh, hmm, so, could someone explain THIS to me?

I was goofing around with the TV today, content that I was going to hook the new computer build directly into it rather than the receiver. Really, I was just testing to see if I could see any difference in quality between VGA and HDMI.

After playing with that I thought I'd hook the computer back into HDMI1 on the TV since the computer is the primary component for use with this TV. The picture, still pumped into the TV directly from the computer, was crap again. Resolution settings were fine (still 1360x768), just looked slightly fuzzy ("crap" is a bit of an over-exaggeration).

So, then I hooked the computer back up to the receiver, but hooked the receiver up to HDMI2 on the TV. Crystal clear.

I have no idea what is going on. I reset all of the picture stuff on HDMI1 to no avail. Now, HDMI1 does have settings available to it that I can't adjust on 2, like the colors' balance, setting an "entertainment mode" for sports, games, etc. HDMI1 also has Zoom and Just Scan viewing modes, while HDMI2 can only go to 16:9 or 4:3. Yet, despite the apparent limitations, HDMI2 looks far crisper than anything I can get HDMI1 to display.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? For reference again, my TV is a Samsung LN40A450, receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606 and for the time being the computer is a Dell Zino HD running over HDMI.

EDIT: Another wrinkle: when hooked up to HDMI1, Windows 7 says that 1280x720 is the recommended resolution. When hooked into HDMI2 it says that 1360x768 is the recommended resolution. Setting HDMI1 to Just Scan and then adjusting the GPU's over/under scan does work, but the picture is still slightly fuzzy.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page