No surround from Windows 7 over HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot get 5.1 from my Windows Media Center (Windows 7). I don't need HD audio, only DD and DTS (bitstreamed).

In Speaker Setup I can only choose Stereo. In Media Center I have chosen 5.1 speakers but still no surround.

I have tried using drivers from Realtek but no change.

My HTPC is connected to my TV with HDMI and my Logitech Z-5450 is connected to the TV with TOSLINK optical fiber cable. I got a PS3 connected to TV with HDMI and I get bitstreamed DD on my Logitech, so there is no problem with passthrough on the TV.

Any suggestions? Can it be that Windows requires a 5.1 device on the other side of the HDMI?

My setup:
Windows 7 with ATI / AMD Radeon HD 5450
Logitech Z-5450 (no HDMI)
Samsung PS50B551
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HOW you're getting the Samsung to pass anything while tuned to a HDMI source is beyond me! As you suggest, windows has to confirm HDCP to the TV and when connected to a TV it can only pass 2-ch stereo. My suggestion is to route a SPDIF cable to your avr in addition to using HDMI for video on the TV. SPDIF has no HDCP handshake and should work just fine.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamino69 View Post

My HTPC is connected to my TV with HDMI and my Logitech Z-5450 is connected to the TV with TOSLINK optical fiber cable. I got a PS3 connected to TV with HDMI and I get bitstreamed DD on my Logitech, so there is no problem with passthrough on the TV.

The PC sees the two TV speakers in the chain, it simply cannot set more than what it sees.
No matter what you try, the PC cannot show more than 2 speakers since it can only see the 2 speakers.
I don't know how your PS3 gets you SPDIF through the TV, but with a PC its not going to work. AFAIK, the only way to get SPDIF out from a TV is through its own tuner.

Edit: Just had another thought.
How do you know its pure DD/DTS on your Logitech? They are just computer speakers, aren't they?
So I'm assuming they don't have a display like AVRs to confirm the incoming signal.
For all we know, the PS3 is also sending stereo sound and the Logitech is applying some sort of processing to get pseudo 5.1 sound.
The only reason we know its stereo in the PC is because it is possible to see it.
Is there a display (in your speakers) that can confirm the signal?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Edit: Just had another thought.
How do you know its pure DD/DTS on your Logitech?

Hi hirent, thank you for answering me!

There's a display on the Logitech telling me it's DD. This only works when I chose bitstreamed on the PS3 - or else it will show Pro logic.

The TV can passthrough the signal, no doubt about it. Not only passthrough, it also gives me sound - thats why I like it. The sound from my Logitech Z-5450 doesn't give me a good dialog so I need the sound from the TV to fill in that gap.

I've heard about some EDID tools, but only used when the HTPC is connected to an AVR. Could it be possible to use in my case? Making Windows believe that my TV got 5.1?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did you go into properties for ATI HDMI audio device and click Supported Formats tab? Anything there in Encoded formats section? Are checkboxes checked?

But chances are, TV reports stereo only in its EDID, which PS3 appears to ignore. If so, you will need to check EDID override thread.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I fixed this issue by setting W7 MC to use 5.1 speakers rather than two.
My HTPC connects via HDMI cable to LG LCD TV. Optical (S/PDIF) from TV to Sony AVR. TV works fine with AVR off with its internal speakers. For news, etc. Turn on the AVR and it reports DD 5.1 when that's what the networks are broadcasting. I believe I also get DTS when playing a DVD in MC that has a DTS sound track. I can't swear that I tested that though. I usually use a Panasonic Blu-Ray player for BD or DVD. Of course I have to turn the TV sound down if I want SRS from the Sony due to lag in the sound. Not noticeable with respect to video either way. But with TV and AVR on there is an obvious echo.
Good luck.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
FYI I had to set wmc to play 7.1 even though i only have 5.1 to get this to function correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post

Did you go into properties for ATI HDMI audio device and click Supported Formats tab? Anything there in Encoded formats section? Are checkboxes checked?

Encoded Formats:
No compressed formats found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post

I fixed this issue by setting W7 MC to use 5.1 speakers rather than two.

In Speaker Setup I can only choose Stereo. In Media Center I have chosen 5.1 speakers but still no surround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post

Turn on the AVR and it reports DD 5.1 when that's what the networks are broadcasting.

Is the broadcasting received on your TV or on your HTPC? If it's on your HTPC then you have succeeded with what I want. Then you should also get 5.1 from DVD on your HTPC.

I can control the lag in the sound on my TV, so it's in perfect sync with my AVR
post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM

I have a very similar issue and would love some help. I just connected my HTPC to a new (I just bought it today) Sony BDVE780W HTIB. Before this, I had a Samsung HTIB unit and had no problems. On my HTPC when I went into Speaker Setup, I could choose between a Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 channel setup. Ever since I hooked up the BDVE780W today, now my HTPC only gives me the Stereo option under Speaker Setup. I tried re-installing my ATI drivers as well as the Realtek ATI HDMI driver and still nothing. I read somewhere that this might have something to do with the receiver. If so, is there a setting I can change? It sucks because all my ripped 5.1 DVD-A flacs are being output stereo only now.

Help please.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbeas View Post

I have a very similar issue and would love some help. I just connected my HTPC to a new (I just bought it today) Sony BDVE780W HTIB. Before this, I had a Samsung HTIB unit and had no problems. On my HTPC when I went into Speaker Setup, I could choose between a Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 channel setup. Ever since I hooked up the BDVE780W today, now my HTPC only gives me the Stereo option under Speaker Setup. I tried re-installing my ATI drivers as well as the Realtek ATI HDMI driver and still nothing. I read somewhere that this might have something to do with the receiver. If so, is there a setting I can change? It sucks because all my ripped 5.1 DVD-A flacs are being output stereo only now.

Help please.

Sorry, Morbeas, I cannot help you. I got this problem because Windows requires a 5.1 device on the other side of HDMI and my TV is not. That's why it didn't work for me. So if your PC is connected directly to the BDVE780W over HDMI then the "handshake" should be fine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page