Best TV input resolution from HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize that there are a lot of threads about this problem, but I'm having a hard time finding a clear solution. Here's what I have:

Samsung PN50C450, 1366x768 native res, HDMI and VGA in
HTPC with Radeon 4550, HDMI and DVI out, connected with HDMI
Wii, connected with component cable
Dish Network ViP922K, connected with HDMI

Soon I will be upgrading the video card in the HTPC to a Radeon 5570, also with HDMI and DVI output. I will also be putting in a Yamaha HTR-5063 receiver, so I will only have a single HDMI to my TV, and all audio will be played over the external speakers.

So, here's the problem. When I bought things and started ripping my movies, I assumed that since my display is 720p, then naturally my sources should be 720p. However, I'm having a really hard time getting my HTPC resolution set correctly. Am I correct in understanding that the HDMI connection will not carry a 1366x768 signal from my HTPC to my TV correctly, and that it can only do 1280x720 or 1920x1080? My TV does not have DVI input, only VGA, so I don't know if I can work around that.

My interest is in 1:1 pixel mapping, even though I might not see much difference, the idea that my TV is scaling up the image by a few percent drives me crazy. I don't mind there being a ring of black around the image, but when I set my HTPC to 1280x720 with 0 overscan, for some reason the image is stretched so it doesn't fit on the TV screen. Any other resolution, including 1360x768, has black bars around it.

So, short of replacing the TV, is there some combination of settings that will give me 1:1 pixel mapping on my display?

Alternatively, should I just my sources to 1080p and let the TV convert them? I don't like the idea of my 720p ripped movies being scaled to 1080 and then back down to 768, but I could re-rip them to 1080 if necessary.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakuraiZero View Post
I realize that there are a lot of threads about this problem, but I'm having a hard time finding a clear solution. Here's what I have:

Samsung PN50C450, 1366x768 native res, HDMI and VGA in
HTPC with Radeon 4550, HDMI and DVI out, connected with HDMI
Wii, connected with component cable
Dish Network ViP922K, connected with HDMI

Soon I will be upgrading the video card in the HTPC to a Radeon 5570, also with HDMI and DVI output. I will also be putting in a Yamaha HTR-5063 receiver, so I will only have a single HDMI to my TV, and all audio will be played over the external speakers.

So, here's the problem. When I bought things and started ripping my movies, I assumed that since my display is 720p, then naturally my sources should be 720p. However, I'm having a really hard time getting my HTPC resolution set correctly. Am I correct in understanding that the HDMI connection will not carry a 1366x768 signal from my HTPC to my TV correctly, and that it can only do 1280x720 or 1920x1080? My TV does not have DVI input, only VGA, so I don't know if I can work around that.

My interest is in 1:1 pixel mapping, even though I might not see much difference, the idea that my TV is scaling up the image by a few percent drives me crazy. I don't mind there being a ring of black around the image, but when I set my HTPC to 1280x720 with 0 overscan, for some reason the image is stretched so it doesn't fit on the TV screen. Any other resolution, including 1360x768, has black bars around it.

So, short of replacing the TV, is there some combination of settings that will give me 1:1 pixel mapping on my display?

Alternatively, should I just my sources to 1080p and let the TV convert them? I don't like the idea of my 720p ripped movies being scaled to 1080 and then back down to 768, but I could re-rip them to 1080 if necessary.

Thanks for reading.
I had similar issues when starting. This thread may help

Bottom line is
1) run native if your TV accepts it
2) If not run 720P (Do not upscale/downscale)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page