Looking for internal IR reciever for Asrock MB (For MCE) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I've been searching my brains out looking for a solution: here is what I am looking for:

I have just built an HTPC with an Asrock H55MUSB3 R2.0 MATX MB. I am running W7 and I would like to control it (turn on from S3, navigate movies, MCE) with my Harmony One remote. I don't care about PC functions or surfing the web as I do maintenance via RDP and hate surfing the web on the TV.

The Asrock MB has an IR header that I would like to use if possible (I only need the RX function, I am not controlling anything else with the HTPC):

What I would like to end up with is an 1/8" jack on the back of the PC to connect to my IR distribution hub. I could go with an internal reciever and IR emitter, but if I can avoid this it would be cleaner.

If that is not feasible, an internal USB reciver would be fine. I don't want anything that needs a 3.5" bay or the like; I would be modding the case with (hopefully) a small hole for the reciever.

I guess I could take apart an external reciever as a last resort.

If I have to build something from scratch that would be fine too.

If anybody has any insight/experience/links they would be able to share I would really appreciate it!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The only 3.5 bay IR control I know of is iMon Inside - http://www.soundgraph.com/inside-feature-en/

It comes with a Mini Remote, but I'm sure your Harmony can either learn it or they have the code for it all ready.

I'm not sure you can use emitters with it or not, I'm sure somebody here is using one however.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #3 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

If that is not feasible, an internal USB reciver would be fine. I don't want anything that needs a 3.5" bay or the like; I would be modding the case with (hopefully) a small hole for the reciever.

Not to push my product but here you go.
http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html

HDPLEX
post #4 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

That port is probably for IRDA, not CIR, which is what you want.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr67 View Post

That port is probably for IRDA, not CIR, which is what you want.

Good point, I think I just assumed that it would be for CIR use... Who uses IrDA....

post #6 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

Interesting, I think you need to pay Google more! I didn't see this at all in my searching... (J/K)

I wanted to just plug in a jack from my IR block in the back of the PC, nice and clean, but it looks like there really isn't anything out there like that.

Do you know if this is a device in the Logitech database? Or have you used the reciever with a Logitech?

Thanks for the suggestion!

post #7 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will you be making cases that can use the heat pipe setup on the Asus ION2 and Fusion Zacate mITX boards?

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #8 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yeah looks like CIR headers are usually 7 or 10 pins (from google searching).

This one on eBay is for modern boards using 7-pin connectors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Receiver-Cabl...item35abe38f4c

IrDA headers are traditionally 5-pins so that must be IrDA on your board.

The funny thing is the CIR receiver above is like 2-3x what you can buy an MCE/RC6 USB receiver for. One of which you can just crack open and then cut the USB cord and connect it up to one of the internal headers and make it internal with little effort.

Seems these CIR headers are a bit of a joke, unless the mobo manufacturer provides it with the board. Otherwise it's a bit pointless to pay more than a USB version.
post #9 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

The funny thing is the CIR receiver above is like 2-3x what you can buy an MCE/RC6 USB receiver for. One of which you can just crack open and then cut the USB cord and connect it up to one of the internal headers and make it internal with little effort.

Seems these CIR headers are a bit of a joke, unless the mobo manufacturer provides it with the board. Otherwise it's a bit pointless to pay more than a USB version.

More than likely you wouldn't even need to crack open the external receiver's case and cut the cord. Just use a standard USB female to header pin converter or hack apart a USB header to card slot insert. Unless your case is super micro then the most basic MCE receiver should fit somewhere.

I just keep mine hidden behind the HTPC with an IR emitter attached to it.

post #10 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Now that I've specifically looked at the differences between IRDA and CIR, it seems a bit obvious now to me that my header isn't CIR....oh well. I still wonder why IRDA is even around these days... I guess they go with the parallel port header my MB has

In any case I think I might go for the option lymzy linked to, the price looks pretty good and I'll have a remote to learn commands if needed.

post #11 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've tried looking this up in the Logitech database, do you what it would be under, or if it is in the database?

Thanks!

post #12 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I've tried looking this up in the Logitech database, do you what it would be under, or if it is in the database?

Thanks!

Look for something like: MCE, Media Centre, Microsoft, HP, Dell, RC6 (Philips RC6), etc.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know if this is a device in the Logitech database? Or have you used the reciever with a Logitech?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Since the MCE Remote is an RC6 Dell clone, the corresponding device in Logitech database should just be Windows MCE Remote.

Quote:

Will you be making cases that can use the heat pipe setup on the Asus ION2 and Fusion Zacate mITX boards?

BGA type socket (CPU soldered to the mobo) is tricky. The chip couldn't take too much pressure. I currently do not plan to support those since 35W-45W TDP desktop CPU is going mainstream.

HDPLEX
post #14 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since the MCE Remote is an RC6 Dell clone, the corresponding device in Logitech database should just be Windows MCE Remote.
Cool, thanks for the info!

post #15 of 36 Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well happy to say I got the reciever and remote..

I installed the IR reciever and programmed my H1 using MS as the manufacturer and MCE-1039 as the model. Works great, no issues so far.

Both the reiciever and remote work very well. I can bounce the signal off almost any wall with no issues. I will add an emitter soon for the HTPC, so it wouldn't be an issue anyways.

post #16 of 36 Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I installed the IR reciever and programmed my H1 using MS as the manufacturer and MCE-1039 as the model. Works great, no issues so far.

Both the reiciever and remote work very well. I can bounce the signal off almost any wall with no issues. I will add an emitter soon for the HTPC, so it wouldn't be an issue anyways.

Thanks for the confirmation. I will put this into my remote manual and faq section.

HDPLEX
post #17 of 36 Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad to help! One thing I haven't hooked up yet is the power switch for S5;

I'm curious, I am using a 150XT Picupsu, can you tell me which pin number I need to solder this line to get the 5V power? I could use a meter, but I figure you already know!

In any case, this HTPC uses so little power I may not worry about shutting it down. I may also try just using S3, since this thing starts up so fast...

post #18 of 36 Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It is the fourth PIN from the left for 5VSB. Make sure you have the correct side.

HDPLEX
post #19 of 36 Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Would that be with the latch facing me or away?

post #20 of 36 Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would that be with the latch facing me or away?

One the side without the latch and with only one J5 connector.

HDPLEX
post #21 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

i've just done the exact same thing and i cant get anything to happen. the receiver driver installed correctly, i added MS/MCE-1039 to my H1 and nothing. the remote works on the tv and hifi, just not the HTPC.

any ideas on trouble shooting this?
post #22 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to help! One thing I haven't hooked up yet is the power switch for S5;

I'm curious, I am using a 150XT Picupsu, can you tell me which pin number I need to solder this line to get the 5V power? I could use a meter, but I figure you already know!

In any case, this HTPC uses so little power I may not worry about shutting it down. I may also try just using S3, since this thing starts up so fast...

You don't really need to solder anything, I just used a pair of pliers to flatten the 5VSB terminal. I just shoved it into the ATX terminal (Orange Wire) and voila instant remote communication from S5.
post #23 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 PM

I successfully contacted ASRock sales support, and they sold me the SmartRemote receiver for $10 shipped. I've rigged this up inside of my Silverstone LC16M, with a bit of case and USB bracket modding.
post #24 of 36 Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlexius View Post

I successfully contacted ASRock sales support, and they sold me the SmartRemote receiver for $10 shipped. I've rigged this up inside of my Silverstone LC16M, with a bit of case and USB bracket modding.

Were you able to get CIR and USB to work with your setup? Does this receiver work with USB only? Or do you need the CIR header next to the USB. I ask this because other people might need more info. If they just plug it into the USB header then there would be no S5 and cannot power up the PC. The CIR header is needed next to the USB header for the PC to wake from S5 using this receiver correct? I still think HDPlex's receiver is still the easiest and most cost effective because you don't need a CIR header for it to wake from S5. Even if I had a CIR header I probably wouldn't use it due to the USB dongle sticking out of the box, but that's just me.
post #25 of 36 Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Every latest ASRock mb comes with a CIR 4-pin connector. Just connect it to a front USB port of the case, connect ASRock SmartRemote receiver to the front USB port, and install Winbond CIR receiver driver. That's it. It works with any MCE remote. It has nothing to do with USB, the front USB port of the case is used just to connect the CIR connector and the receiver.

I was wondering why ASRock does not sell it (receiver only or receiver + remote) at retail stores. SmartRemote (receiver + remote) is bundled only with a couple of ASRock mb.
post #26 of 36 Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post
Were you able to get CIR and USB to work with your setup? Does this receiver work with USB only? Or do you need the CIR header next to the USB. I ask this because other people might need more info. If they just plug it into the USB header then there would be no S5 and cannot power up the PC. The CIR header is needed next to the USB header for the PC to wake from S5 using this receiver correct? I still think HDPlex's receiver is still the easiest and most cost effective because you don't need a CIR header for it to wake from S5. Even if I had a CIR header I probably wouldn't use it due to the USB dongle sticking out of the box, but that's just me.
As Renethx said, one port becomes dedicated to the CIR module, and the other to USB. I modded a bracket much like this one by removing the slot cover, and routing inside my case (LC14m), so that it's sitting just below the VFD. Alternatively, I could have also used a gizmo such as this.

If I were to use it externally, I'd get a USB extension cable, using the aforementioned bracket so that there's nothing sticking out of the front.
post #27 of 36 Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Every latest ASRock mb comes with a CIR 4-pin connector. Just connect it to a front USB port of the case, connect ASRock SmartRemote receiver to the front USB port, and install Winbond CIR receiver driver. That's it. It works with any MCE remote. It has nothing to do with USB, the front USB port of the case is used just to connect the CIR connector and the receiver.

I was wondering why ASRock does not sell it (receiver only or receiver + remote) at retail stores. SmartRemote (receiver + remote) is bundled only with a couple of ASRock mb.
It seems that the remote/receiver combo is available in other markets (specifically, Singapore and Germany). But it seems crazy that they haven't marketed it here yet.
post #28 of 36 Old 09-30-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlexius View Post

Can you provide some info on *how* you contacted ASRock sales support? I'd like to order a SmartRemote receiver also, but can't figure out how/where to do that.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #29 of 36 Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgodfrey View Post

Can you provide some info on *how* you contacted ASRock sales support? I'd like to order a SmartRemote receiver also, but can't figure out how/where to do that.

Thanks,

Jeff

OK, replying to my own post... I sent a support request to ASRock via their website asking about the availability of the SmartRemote receiver. The support form I used can be found at this address: asrock.com/support/tsd.asp (board won't let me post a URL, so I had to trim out the unnecessary prefix info)

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I received an email from ASRock America within a few hours of my request. Basically, they said they can ship me a receiver for $8 (which includes shipping charges!). Wow - that sounds reasonable enough.

However, they were unable to confirm compatibility with my existing Harmony One remote. I see no reason why it shouldn't work, though I'm not sure how the remote should be programmed for this device.

I'll probably place an order soon and hope I can get it to work. If anyone has any advice regarding how to program the Harmony One for the ASRock receiver, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #30 of 36 Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgodfrey View Post

I'll probably place an order soon and hope I can get it to work. If anyone has any advice regarding how to program the Harmony One for the ASRock receiver, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Replying to my own post one more time...

I'm only at the point of spec'ing parts for my HTPC. Originally, I had spec'd an AsRock H67M mobo - which is compatible with the AsRock Smart Remote, but doesn't ship with the remote/receiver combo.

However, I found a *great* deal on the H67M-GE/HT version of the board, which *does* ship with the remote and receiver. So, in the end, I simply ordered that board. I'll end up with a higher-end mobo and get the remote and receiver in the process - all for about $8 more than the original board.

So, now I should be able to simply have my Harmony One learn the necessary codes from the AsRock supplied remote. With any luck, I should be well on my way - once I get all of my parts...

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply Home Theater Computers