*Official* Asus E35M1-M Pro AMD Zacate motherboard thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 602 Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Board isnt a week old and onboard NIC was stuttering today. Tried changing the settings in advanced tab, no improvement. Installed latest driver, no improvement. Changed settings in advanced tab, no improvement. Popped in DLink Gigabit card and it works fine now.

My previous Intel Atom board had a Realtek onbaord NIC and went for just over a year no problem, then it started to stutter, thus buying the DLink card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 602 Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joners View Post

Board isnt a week old and onboard NIC was stuttering today.

That's the reason I haven't bought any mini-itx board yet. I always fear that someday the on board realtek NIC will go bad.
post #183 of 602 Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM

Well the Atom board (mini ITX) I had went strong for over a year. I just remember why I bought the DLink card exactly. Previous to a dedicated server I was using my desktop (mostly for gaming) and it had an Asus mATX board, cant remember the onboard NIC, that worked great for streaming but one day I was plugging in the network cable and heard a "Zap". I ended up frying the onboard NIC somehow.
post #184 of 602 Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnerd View Post

That's the reason I haven't bought any mini-itx board yet. I always fear that someday the on board realtek NIC will go bad.

Same here. I did a 450GB file transfer to my media server last night and the whole computer started to stutter like crazy. The Realtek NIC are utter garbage. I have Intel one I will use with this microATX board. I tested that and had no problem.

However, I am serious doubt about buying the six E35M1-I DELUXE s I had planned to buy. The first downer was to see the E35M1-I DELUXE cost $175 each which seems pretty steep for what you get. But the clincher was this crappy Realtek NIC. I have no idea why Asus and others choose to use Realtek NICs. I have a Asus with a Marvell NIC and haven't had one problem with it. Realtek on the other hand - the NICs always have problems eventually. I have had no problem from NVIDIA and Intel NICs. With the ITX there is no room in my case for an add on NIC so its a show stopper for me.
post #185 of 602 Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
I got my board last Friday and had things up and running by Saturday night. These are my initial impressions:

I am using this board/APU with 4gb of ram, a 500gb HDD, 2 tuners (1 internal PCI, and 1 USB) all in an Antec Fusion Remote case. I am using this setup to watch recorded OTA tv, stream music, watch slide shows, and watch some DivX files that I have accumulated. I using it in conjunction with 2 Linksys Extenders.

So far, the performance has been wonderful. Last night I was able to record 2 shows and stream a 3rd simultaneously. A quick check of system performance revealed a 40-55% cpu utilization, well within the range of respectability.

I haven't checked internal temperatures yet but my case is still cold to the touch and my fans are still blowing cold air out the side. I also haven't checked efficiency. While I know that this setup is far more efficient than my quad-core AMD desktop, it has not been optimized yet as I will be changing the fans to quieter, lower power usage fans, I will be changing the hard drive out for a 2.5" hard drive, and possibly an SSD boot drive, and I am awaiting my Winmate power supply. Once all that is done I should have a machine that does everything I will ask of it for not much more than $300. It also should be almost completely silent and extremely efficient.

It is not all great news, however. I was experiencing the same issues as many others with the Realtek NIC. It would begin a download and then drop the connection. this happened three times in a 2 hour period. After that, I went into the power settings and changed the settings for the NIC (I believe I switched it to never sleep). Since then, I have shuttled over 110gb of Recorded TV, 30gb of music, and 30gb of photos, all without a hiccup at speeds around 45MB/Sec.

All in all I love this setup and look forward to really breaking it in and exploiting all the in's and out's.
post #186 of 602 Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khubo View Post
It is not all great news, however. I was experiencing the same issues as many others with the Realtek NIC. It would begin a download and then drop the connection. this happened three times in a 2 hour period. After that, I went into the power settings and changed the settings for the NIC (I believe I switched it to never sleep). Since then, I have shuttled over 110gb of Recorded TV, 30gb of music, and 30gb of photos, all without a hiccup at speeds around 45MB/Sec.
I recommend the following for the Realtek:
1. Uncheck "Allow device to sleep" (which you did)
2. Also Disable "Green Ethernet"

"Green Ethernet" is a Realtek only thing, there's not really any standard it's based on and from what I can tell it might cause all kinds of issues.

FYI

"Energy Effiency" is different, known as IEEE 802.3az. It is a formal specification and assuming Realtek implemented it correctly it shouldn't cause any issues.

I haven't had any issues with Realtek LAN.
post #187 of 602 Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper87 View Post

"Green Ethernet" is a Realtek only thing, there's not really any standard it's based on and from what I can tell it might cause all kinds of issues.

FYI

"Energy Effiency" is different, known as IEEE 802.3az. It is a formal specification and assuming Realtek implemented it correctly it shouldn't cause any issues.

Thanks for posting that, it seems there would be a fairly simple solution and not this "Realtek is garbage" stuff. People, you have to remember you are in the minority of people that want to stream content via NIC, most are doing it by WiFi if that.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #188 of 602 Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Found another possible solution for people having issues...

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/9...px?PageIndex=2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

I'd certainly prefer having a Marvell NIC. None the less, the Realtek should be able to handle everything.

Realtek is probably the cheapest NICs. As for wireless, I simply hate it. Lets face it, its for web browsing and that's it. I'd say just run some Gigabit Ethernet cables and get a gigabit router, its worth it.
post #189 of 602 Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Which begs the question of why Intel NICs work perfectly out of the box and with Realtek you need to jump through hoops to get it to work with low bitrate content?

I have no idea if the above works for getting Realtek NICs to work.
post #190 of 602 Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Realtek needs to change something. I built another system with a Realtek NIC which is when I discovered weird settings like "Green Ethernet".

If they want to have weird settings, they should be disabled by default.
post #191 of 602 Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Which begs the question of why Intel NICs work perfectly out of the box and with Realtek you need to jump through hoops to get it to work with low bitrate content?

I have no idea if the above works for getting Realtek NICs to work.

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the Realtek NIC yet, but it could very well be a case of "featuring" themselves into a corner. I mean, in a marketing manager's mind, what can a company do to make their products stand out when it comes to a network adapter? They communicate at high speed and that's it! The only things that make one stand out more than another are features. These days it's all about power savings. I think this is what Realtek has done with the NICs on these Fusion MBs. They've added all these obscure power saving features where as the Intel adapters just communicate and don't care about anything else.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #192 of 602 Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:

FYI

I finally got mine working with 100 Mbs+. I left both of these options alone and it still worked so it appears there are multiple fixes. I think the setting that fixed mine was enabling "Interrupt Moderation" whatever that means.
post #193 of 602 Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM

It'd certainly be simpler if there was just one solution, but I guess it's gonna be fiddle around with it until it works for you.

It's just a different market that Realtek aims than vs Marvell or Intel. Realtek and their settings are probably fine for 95% of people who don't regularly use it for large transfers / streaming.

The other part is we all have different Router, Switch, Cables and I'm sure that can affect the cheaper Realtek NICs. Keep in mind this is more of "value" board so it has fairly basic components.
post #194 of 602 Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'd just like it if the Realtek NIC x64 driver didn't cause a BSOD when waking up from S3 sleep. Maybe I'll try fiddlin' with some of these settings and see if it helps. S1 works but the the fans are still going and it's using more energy for doing nothing.

post #195 of 602 Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khubo View Post

I am using this board/APU with 4gb of ram, a 500gb HDD, 2 tuners (1 internal PCI, and 1 USB) all in an Antec Fusion Remote case.

All in all I love this setup and look forward to really breaking it in and exploiting all the in's and out's.

I'm using a nearly identical set-up and have had no issues at all. I'm only using one of the case fans (without the included cpu fan) and it's set to low. I've not had any heat issues and don't see a need for the other fan. I will be tweaking the settings for this system as well as my new panel and server in the coming weeks.

I use XBMC for video on this machine and playback has been quite good, no matter the encoding used for the file.

I also like this board and am happy with the performance thus far. The on-board NIC has given me no grief as of yet, but when the new server is set-up I'll see how it does.
post #196 of 602 Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneRider View Post
I'm using a nearly identical set-up and have had no issues at all. I'm only using one of the case fans (without the included cpu fan) and it's set to low. I've not had any heat issues and don't see a need for the other fan. I will be tweaking the settings for this system as well as my new panel and server in the coming weeks.

I use XBMC for video on this machine and playback has been quite good, no matter the encoding used for the file.

I also like this board and am happy with the performance thus far. The on-board NIC has given me no grief as of yet, but when the new server is set-up I'll see how it does.
Did you cover up the 2nd fan space or just leave it open? I am buying a couple of Noctua fans (Newegg 20% off all system fans today) but if I can get buy with just one that would be great both for cost and power draw.
post #197 of 602 Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Can anybody give me a confirmation about bitstream audio hd?

Some people said that worked. But I need more details.
I want to know if the proper light turns on in your receiver

I'd never seen the dtsma logo in my onkyo
post #198 of 602 Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It works fine with rips but TMT5 wont bitstream out - yet.
post #199 of 602 Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM

I have a motherboard on order which will go into an older HP Pavilion Case to stay in my RV. My OS will be WinXP(I have it), software K-lite Codecs, OTSDJ, Handbrake, DVDFab, MS Essentials(antivirus), Firefox, Personal Video Database. In following this thread it is advised not to use the drivers on the installation disk, what has been used off that disk. What ATI downloads, updates should I assemble prior to install. Appreciate any input. This unit is strictly a media center with occasional online updates.
Txs
post #200 of 602 Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK, you have to use the driver disk for the ATI software as the drivers on the ATI site won't detect the Zacate HW.
post #201 of 602 Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

AFAIK, you have to use the driver disk for the ATI software as the drivers on the ATI site won't detect the Zacate HW.

The latest 11.2 Drivers off AMD site work for me. Though AMD still appears to have two places to obtain them.

I got them from game.amd.com

specifically
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...win7-64.aspx#1

For Graphics and

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...win7-64.aspx#3

For SouthBridge and AHCI
post #202 of 602 Old 03-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashag View Post

My OS will be WinXP(I have it)

Windows XP and this board will most likely have issues. Specifically with playing back High Def video that needs to be offloaded to the GPU. Most software is going to be aimed towards DXVA 2.0 in Win Vista and 7. Win XP only has DXVA (1.0).

I have no idea how it will do. Also, I did post some drivers for Win 7 x64, but missed that you need XP.

I'll post link to AMD, but obviously I can't claim how well they work or if they work in XP.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...ted_xp-32.aspx
post #203 of 602 Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Windows XP and this board will most likely have issues. Specifically with playing back High Def video that needs to be offloaded to the GPU. Most software is going to be aimed towards DXVA 2.0 in Win Vista and 7. Win XP only has DXVA (1.0).

I have no idea how it will do. Also, I did post some drivers for Win 7 x64, but missed that you need XP.

I'll post link to AMD, but obviously I can't claim how well they work or if they work in XP.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...ted_xp-32.aspx

Chomper those are the drivers I have downloaded...we'll see how the XP goes. Have no idea when the board will show, ordered thru Amazon as I had a gift card. A side note I found a neat mini wireless keyboard with touchpad the size of a remote. It will suit my needs in the RV and my theater room.
post #204 of 602 Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

+1
Win 7 has a ton of options in the power profiles section, many of which are on by default. NIC is one of them. Make sure you turn it off.

BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnerd View Post

Did you turn off power saving for NIC?
If you don't move mouse/keyboard for a while, probably the NIC goes into sleep mode?

@ perpetual98

Did you try this? If you answered I'm sorry I didn't see it. I plan on buying a Zacate board and they all come with Realtek NIC(except the Sapphire one, which has Marvel). This is important for me to know since ALL my files will be played remotely from my home network (wired).
post #205 of 602 Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I tried some of the mentioned fixes, but either they didn't help, or I had already put a PCI NIC into the unit. Haven't had a problem since I put a standalone NIC into it. Ironically enough, the PCI card is a Realtek chipset.
post #206 of 602 Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Rec'd board today, was going to put in old HP case however memory bumped the DVD drive. I've ordered new case with 24 pin PS. I tried to load software off the 20 pin PS and monitor wouldn't boot. I hoping it is just the 20 pin issue. Any thoughts would appreciate.
post #207 of 602 Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Rec'd board today, was going to put in old HP case however memory bumped the DVD drive. I've ordered new case with 24 pin PS. I tried to load software off the 20 pin PS and monitor wouldn't boot. I hoping it is just the 20 pin issue. Any thoughts would appreciate.

The start switch doesn't work on this board . I jumped the pins and it started up...now my old ide dvd and hd with sata adapters not showing up in Bios. Hopefully I can find an answer for that.
post #208 of 602 Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The start switch doesn't work on this board . I jumped the pins and it started up...now my old ide dvd and hd with sata adapters not showing up in Bios. Hopefully I can find an answer for that.
Well the ide adapters need power once I get new case ps all should be fine.
post #209 of 602 Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM

finally got all drives up and running, I can't XP disk or E35 disk to load "error loading operating system" . Had an old Norton Systemworks disk and it was recognized, Asus was not much help.
post #210 of 602 Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You want to use an OS built in 2000 on hardware built in 2011? Why would you do that?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page