*Official* Asus E35M1-M Pro AMD Zacate motherboard thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 602 Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I figured I'd start this thread and peel it off from the other large Zacate thread since I ordered the hardware and it's on it's way to me. I will try to either here or in it's own thread document my HTPC upgrade. Perhaps this thread will just deal with the motherboard/CPU, or it will evolve into something else, who knows.

Here the the motherboard that I ordered from Newegg.

Motherboard

Here's some more information from the Asus website located here

Impeccable U3S6 HTPC solution with low power design & DriectX 11 Support

* Protect3.0 - EPU, Anti-Surge, Low EMI
* DX 11 Support - More detailed and realistic terrain
* USB 3.0 - 10x faster than USB2.0
* Native SATA 6Gb/s - Native Ports, Native Speed and Accessibility
* EFI BIOS(EZ Mode) - Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface
* AI Suite II - One-stop Access to Innovative ASUS Features

AMD Dual-Core E-350 APU Support

This motherboard supports Integrated dual-core AMD® Zacate 18W processor. This revolutionary APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) combines processing power and advanced DX 11 support graphics in one small, energy-efficient design to enable accelerated performance and an industry-leading visual experience. It features single-channel DDR3 1066 memory support and accelerates data transfer rate up to 2.5GT/s.

AMD Hudson M1

AMD® Hudson M1 FCH is designed to support up to 2.5GT/s interface speed and PCI Express 2.0 x 16(@x4) graphics. It supports 6 x SATA6Gb/s ports and 14 x USB 2.0 Ports.

HDMI Support

Enjoy Full HD 1080p Multimedia Home-Theater Entertainment
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a set of digital video standards that delivers multi-channel audio and uncompressed digital video for full HD 1080p visuals through a single cable. Supporting HDCP copy protection such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs, HDMI provides you with the highest-quality home theater experience.

100% All High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors!

This motherboard uses all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors onboard for durability, improved lifespan, and enhanced thermal capacity

There's a bunch more info on the specifications tab on the Asus page that didn't copy/paste well. I will try to knock out some bullet points...

* Form Factor mATX
* AMD E350 1.60GHz Dual Core Processor
* Overclocking Support Yes
* Memory 2 x DIMM, Max. 32 GB 1333/1066 DDR3
* 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 bandwidth)
* 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
* 2 x PCI
* Onboard Video CPU Embedded HD 6310
* 5 x SATA 6.0Gb/s
* 1 x eSATA 6.0Gb/s
* LAN Gigabit LAN
* Audio Realtek ALC892 7.1
* USB 12 x USB 2.0 (4 x Back, 8 x Internal)
* 2 x USB 3.0 REAR
* Firewire 2 x 1394 (1 x back, 1 x internal)
* Video I/O DVI, HDMI, VGA

Here's some links to reviews and whatnot...

Overclock3d.net
eTeknix.com

I expect the hardware to arrive in a few days, and I will probably work on it over the weekend. It will be replacing our current HTPC so transferring all of the recorded TV settings will be the part I look forward to the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 602 Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone got one running yet...
post #3 of 602 Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Good News? I hope there's no buyer's remorse by trying to do too much with this. A a pure media pc, it should be just fine, even some minor encoding isn't a problem as long as you use the GPU to help speed up the process.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #4 of 602 Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Good News? I hope there's no buyer's remorse by trying to do too much with this. A a pure media pc, it should be just fine, even some minor encoding isn't a problem as long as you use the GPU to help speed up the process.

Oh this will just be serving media and recording OTA TV. Perhaps the occasional DVD rip. I don't currently use my HTPC for anything else, no I can't imagine that the new one will be different.
post #5 of 602 Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks for kicking off the thread. I look forward to your build progress, performance reports, and observations.
Just wondering, you record OTA ATSC HDTV (I think). What software do you run, 7MC? Do you run comskip? I am curious how comskip will run on this new platform while recording a show and playing another show. I only have one tuner now so that is about my worst case processor load.
post #6 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

i ordered one for my extender in another room, been running dual core atom now and it works okay but want little more power. changing channel is little slow for my liking this is all done through 2 ceton quad tuners in WHS server shared across a gigabit network
post #7 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow I didn't know these were out yet. CPU included and passively cooled thats cool.
post #8 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM

newegg sold out pretty quick but this place has 2 left thats where i ordered mine from little more costly

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Core...7178408&sr=8-2
post #9 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Wow I didn't know these were out yet. CPU included and passively cooled thats cool.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that there is a cooling fan sent along for the CPU. I might see how loud the fan is. The fan in my power supply is louder than I'd like, so I might not even notice the CPU fan.
post #10 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt300zrcr View Post

i ordered one for my extender in another room, been running dual core atom now and it works okay but want little more power. changing channel is little slow for my liking this is all done through 2 ceton quad tuners in WHS server shared across a gigabit network

How does that setup work? I wasn't aware that tuner sharing was allowed, or does WHS add that? I'm running an HDHomerun network tuner, but I don't generally have more than the HTPC needing the network tuner. It's only when my wife is watching something and I want to watch a football game or something that I'll access the tuner on another PC.
post #11 of 602 Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM

tuner sharing is done through the beta program. you must give them your ceton serial number and then update to 4790 is the latest hw firmware at least for my fios and 1.0.2.2 software fw. I have 6 htpc throughout the house mostly atom based mini computers that i found deals on here and there. it just my kids always watching there stuff and my wife recording too much of her dang soaps. So i always need a tuner to watch my programs.
post #12 of 602 Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

Just wondering, you record OTA ATSC HDTV (I think). What software do you run, 7MC? Do you run comskip? I am curious how comskip will run on this new platform while recording a show and playing another show. I only have one tuner now so that is about my worst case processor load.

perpetual98, Not sure if you caught this question above...
post #13 of 602 Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got mine in today. I haven't had time to set it up or build something around it, this will be for a client, but it is nice looking board. I'll do the build tomorrow and try to get some impressions up.
post #14 of 602 Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm recording OTA HDTV. I've got 4 tuners (1 HDHomerun and 2 Pinnacle USB tuners) and I'm using 7MC and Mediabrowser with TMT3 for BD rips. Other than that, there isn't much installed on the HTPC. I've messed with DVRMSToolbox for commercial skipping, but it didn't work perfectly and I never dove into tweaking it. When any of my wife's shows would miss stuff because of the commercial skipping not working, it came out of my butt.
post #15 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got mine in today as well. Going to install it tomorrow.
post #16 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have stuff recording tonight until 10PM, so that's about the earliest I will get to take a crack at it. I might wait until tomorrow. Who am I kidding, I'll probably work on it tonight
post #17 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Early impressions:

This is the first board I've messed with with the new EFI bios. I have mixed feelings about it. Really, it seems as though it looks/plays like a regular BIOS, with just a graphical "sheen" over the top. I guess I never felt the urgent need to use a mouse in BIOS.

Performance is snappy. I'm not using the fan, which seems to be optional. Even without the fan, the heatsink stays warm, not hot. That's a pretty good sign for me.

It -feels- snappy. That's hard to justify with benchmarks, but compared to the atom, transitions between apps and screen performance seems as though it just responds quicker.

So far, pretty impressed. I have a few negatives, but I need to see if they can be resolved with some advice before I complain, as they may just be my ignorance of the new BIOS.
post #18 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm having doubts that I will have mine up and running tonight. What are your negatives? I'd like to see if I notice them too. I don't know much about benchmarks.
post #19 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

hmm, I think the EFI BIOS is pretty damn cool. Installing WIN7 now.
post #20 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm backing up some data and I think I'm going to try to get it installed in the case and windows installed yet tonight. My old HTPC with the 780G board had a Windows Experience Index of 3.4, mainly due to the onboard graphics that I was using.
post #21 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

I'm having doubts that I will have mine up and running tonight. What are your negatives? I'd like to see if I notice them too. I don't know much about benchmarks.

Some of what look like "slider" bars in the BIOS don't slide, they don't do anything... or I couldn't make them.

It misdetected DDR3-1600 as DDR3-1333. I don't think that matters with this chip, and maybe it just clocks it down. I'm re-using some left over memory so it's all good.

Disregard some of the benchmarks you've see on this thing, too.. my results are way better then Overclock3d. I wonder if they were using the latest drivers. Because my disc performance and my Flash CPU use is way different. I chalk Flash up to 10.2 being accelerated by ATI now, the disc performance I'm not sure. But I do a lot better then they seem to indicate, and I completely thrash a 510 Atom.
post #22 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

Some of what look like "slider" bars in the BIOS don't slide, they don't do anything... or I couldn't make them.

It misdetected DDR3-1600 as DDR3-1333. I don't think that matters with this chip, and maybe it just clocks it down. I'm re-using some left over memory so it's all good.

Disregard some of the benchmarks you've see on this thing, too.. my results are way better then Overclock3d. I wonder if they were using the latest drivers. Because my disc performance and my Flash CPU use is way different. I chalk Flash up to 10.2 being accelerated by ATI now, the disc performance I'm not sure. But I do a lot better then they seem to indicate, and I completely thrash a 510 Atom.

You can run DDR3-1333 in these, it was suppose to be limited to DDR3-1066, but some of the higher feature boards have this available in the bio.

As long as your case has good air flow, you won't need a fan, there's not much heat being generated, at least as long as whatever you're playing back is supported by UVD 3.0.

Yep Flash 10.2 solved any high CPU usage problems that Anandtech was having, they sent them betas during the review, you have the official drivers (no longer beta).

I kept saying this compared to a standard desktop should be the same experience, its only when you only ask it to do something that would stress the CPU that you might experience some slow down. Anything CPU intensive would run better with a more powerful CPU, duh.

But you seldom do more than two things at any one time with an HTPC, so doubt it would be affected.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #23 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

edit: I take back what I said. For some reason, post processing was enabled in the ATI control panel. After turning this off all works great.
post #24 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Even playing a blu-ray w/ any DVD its a jerky stuttering mess. This is going back to Newegg.

Way to screw up AMD.
post #25 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At least you can get Windows installed. I can't even get setup to see my SSD
post #26 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

post #27 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

Disc (disk?) performance and flash don't mean anything if it can't playback low bitrate or BD movies.
post #28 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm going to spend a little more time trying to get Windows setup to see my SSD, or else I'm going to have to rip this whole rig apart again to put the 780G mobo back in so that my wife and kid can watch something in the morning. They're not as understanding about PC issues as I am. If my 3-year-old can't watch Curious George in the morning, there will be hell to pay.
post #29 of 602 Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

lol, this was to replace my 785g in my bedroom.
post #30 of 602 Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I seem to have gotten things straightened out. I had to put my SSD into another PC and format it there. Not sure why that was, but that's what someone suggested via google and it worked. Got Windows installed and at least recorded/live TV functioning, but I have to get up for work in 4 hours, so I will play with it more tomorrow and this weekend. It does play DVD rips through media browser smoothly though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page