Just built my HTPC and have a question about recording streaming video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I want to thank this site for all the great advice on here. I just built a great little HTPC using notes I compiled from this site.

I basically built the HTPC so my wife can watch Japanese TV stations that we stream, but she would like to record them as well and I am not sure how to go about doing that.

I am currently using Windows Media Center and it appears that it will only record online TV stations that require a tuner card to be installed to be watched.

Is there some software that I need to install to be able to do this? Can someone direct me to a thread that shows me how to do this?

Thank you,

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM

It is often against the terms of use to record streaming content. It depends on what sort of content it is, but there are often measures and DRM in place to prevent this sort of thing in the first place, and what you are asking could even be illegal. What exactly are you trying to record specifically? Do you know the terms of use, and if they allow recording?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should've been more clear. My wife wants to be able to DVR some Japanese programs, mostly for our little girl so she can watch some children's programming in Japanese.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Can't be done.

The end.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Jeez guys. Nobody bats an eye around here at the prospect of DVRing a broadcast TV show, a cable TV show, or even premiere content like HBO. It's not like the guy is looking to tap into government feeds and catch Joe Biden secretly say something stupid (as opposed to all the stupid things he says publicly)

To the OP, what particular websites are you looking at? If there is no DRM used, chances are that the files are temporarily stored on the computer while streaming. Perhaps a google search of that program/website will uncover more info.

If it is flash based playback, those are pretty easy to copy and there are a lot of add ons for browsers to do that.

-Suntan
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sure it can be done, but I wouldn't ask here. Try Afterdawn...

A. Thomas -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: djfourmoney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Nobody bats an eye around here at the prospect of DVRing a broadcast TV show, a cable TV show, or even premiere content like HBO.

All legal....

Quote:

catch Joe Biden secretly say something stupid (as opposed to all the stupid things he says publicly)

He actually washed his Corvette on the white house lawn...shirtless...I kinda like that guy...
post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This Firefox extension will capture some streaming content, not sure if it will work with what you're trying to do.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page