What are you guys using to remove commercials in Win7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 02-12-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally took the time to research why Lifextender wasn't taking the commercials off my recorded TV in Win7 and now I am looking for something else that works about the same. Prior to Win7, I was extremely happy with the way Lifextender worked. Is there another program that will work just the same for Win7 since Lifextender won't work with the new file format?

I'm ready to move quite a few movies and shows over to the server to keep for my daughter, but would like to get rid of the commercials [with minimal interaction by me].

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM

dvrmstoolbox with DTB addin
a custom profile
latest version of comskip

It is different than most in that the original file is copied, the copied file is converted, scanned for commercials, and then both the copy and the converted file are deleted. Just the comskip output remains and 7mc plays the original files.

I wrote instructions if anyone wants them...
post #3 of 47 Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

I wrote instructions if anyone wants them...

I'd love to see some instructions for this, thanks.

I recently tried a demo of VideoReDo, and it worked pretty well, but it was still somewhat labor intensive.
post #4 of 47 Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 View Post

I'd love to see some instructions for this, thanks.

I recently tried a demo of VideoReDo, and it worked pretty well, but it was still somewhat labor intensive.

No problem. Attached.
this is a merger of these two different methods

piece one
piece two

***O.K. so here is the deal, attached are the instructions, the dvrms profile and the comskip.ini in a zip file, due to forum limits the file extension is mov. please change it back to zip.****

If you end up using this please donate to the author of comskip and DVRMStoolbox for writing the software to make this possible...

*** update 10/11 please also see updated dvrms profile later in this thread...***
post #5 of 47 Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
post #6 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

No problem. Attached.
this is a merger of these two different methods.

Thank you.

What happens when it tries to process recordings that don't have any commercials? I regularly record PBS shows like "Nova" and "Austin City Limits" that don't have any commercial breaks, but I also record shows that do have them. I'm concerned that it might endlessly search for commercials in the PBS recordings.
post #7 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Thank you.

What happens when it tries to process recordings that don't have any commercials? I regularly record PBS shows like "Nova" and "Austin City Limits" that don't have any commercial breaks, but I also record shows that do have them. I'm concerned that it might endlessly search for commercials in the PBS recordings.

Right now the processing condition is set to process all files that have not already been processed. You can add a condition that if recorded from PBS, "do nothing"

"The current version of DTB now supports OR conditions so you can now create one Condition that'll include all the exclusions. Lets start with one everyone can use Don't Scan PBS -- if you aren't watching PBS you are missing out, some great HD on there.
Start off by hitting New Condition on the top right.
Enter in a Description like Don't Scan PBS (leave the name blank, it'll auto fill).
From the Drop Down choose Create an Empty Commercials File
On the right hit Add choose WM/MediaNetworkAffiliation then Contains then in the box type PBS and hit ok.
"

"it might endlessly search for commercials "
BTW, not an endless search, but it will try, which will take disk/processor resources...

I should also mention that the comskip.ini file I provided is my optimized version for OTA ATSC USA network broadcast, if this does not describe your recording condition use the stock file provided with comskip
post #8 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Edit: I installed as per your instructions and got it working today. It didn't want to work at first. I manually started DVRMSFileWatcher and it started working. Does that need to be running, or is it a coincidence that it's working now and wasn't before?
post #9 of 47 Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Thanks!

Edit: I installed as per your instructions and got it working today. It didn't want to work at first. I manually started DVRMSFileWatcher and it started working. Does that need to be running, or is it a coincidence that it's working now and wasn't before?

The FW needs to be running to enable automatic scanning.
post #10 of 47 Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again.
post #11 of 47 Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Great! Glad to hear it... enjoy. And Yes, what babgvant said, the service must be running
post #12 of 47 Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

the service must be running

Just to clarify, you can choose to use the service or the system tray file watcher. In most ways they are functionally equivalent, but there are some things that the system tray can do that the service can't because it runs in the user's context.
post #13 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

almostinsane - I missed your link the first time around. If I had read that article earlier it would have saved us all some time.

yamahaSHO - I was searching for a commercial skip solution when I found your thread. I feel that I hijacked your question. For that I apologize. I hope you found your answer.
post #14 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

No problem. Attached.
this is a merger of these two different methods

I have my Recorded TV files on a separate drive. Do I point to those files in DVRMSFileWatcher?

I occasionally close Media Center down so I can use my browser. Do I have to start any of these programs up again when I restart Media Center?

Thanks a lot. This sounds like an elegant answer to ad skipping.

Edit. Sorry, one more question. It says to make a new directory c:\ vscanfolder. Is that folder where the temp files go? Can that folder be on my second drive so I don't keep writing to my SSD c: drive?
post #15 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thusband View Post

I have my Recorded TV files on a separate drive. Do I point to those files in DVRMSFileWatcher?

I have all of my media files including Recorded TV on my I:\\ drive. It automatically found the correct Recorded TV directory during install.

Quote:

I occasionally close Media Center down so I can use my browser. Do I have to start any of these programs up again when I restart Media Center?

No, but the DVRMSFileWatcher program will close when you shutdown or reboot the computer. I put a shortcut in my Startup folder so it runs whenever the PC is on.

Quote:

Edit. Sorry, one more question. It says to make a new directory c:\ vscanfolder. Is that folder where the temp files go? Can that folder be on my second drive so I don't keep writing to my SSD c: drive?

I'll let the experts handle that one. I left it on my C:\\ drive.
post #16 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks Ken.F! There are a bunch of Comskip files. Do I download comskip80_041.zip? That appears to be the latest. It also seems to be updated quite frequently. Do you have to keep track and install the latest update all the time?
post #17 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ken.F! There are a bunch of Comskip files. Do I download comskip80_041.zip? That appears to be the latest. It also seems to be updated quite frequently. Do you have to keep track and install the latest update all the time?

That should be it. When I did it a few days ago 80_040.zip was the latest. I don't plan on updating as long as it's working properly.
post #18 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks again! I think I'll give it a whirl.
post #19 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone doing this that also uses the auto-archive feature of WHS?

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #20 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 PM

OK I believe I followed the setup correctly but the recorded shows aren't skipping the commercials. File Watcher is turned on and I could see files being created and deleted in tvscanfolder. The shows were previously recorded so when I got the 'file not found' message I said yes and let it scan everything. All the shows have a small text file in tvscanfolder showing operations but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Any ideas where I should looking?

Thanks
post #21 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It didn't work for me at first also. I can't say for sure what I did to make it work, but I didn't have to change any settings. Have you tried rebooting?
post #22 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks, yes, I rebooted. I have another program to record tonight so I'll see what that one does.
post #23 of 47 Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Is anyone doing this that also uses the auto-archive feature of WHS?
I do, but I use Showanalyzer for scanning and DVRMStoolbox/DTBaddin for file watching/auto skipping.

post #24 of 47 Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Not sure if you got it working yet, I just noticed the replies in this thread. If not, the programs are configured to generate log files. We can look at the reports in the log file and figure it out.

Also, to the comments about using the most recent comskip files. The reason I suggest this is that the version included with DVRMS toolbox is very stale. If all is working fine you can use just that but to use my updated comskip.ini file for OTA ATSC you are required to run a recent version of comskip.

The question about which drive, must it be "C:" It can be any drive you want but you will need to update the paths in the profile I provided for DVRMS toolbox.
post #25 of 47 Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

almostinsane - I missed your link the first time around. If I had read that article earlier it would have saved us all some time.

Just to be clear that article provides yet another variant on this process that makes use of the Showanalyzer program. Showanalyzer is free to try $30 to purchase and in my experience is not as good at detecting commercials as comskip, which is free. YMMV .....
post #26 of 47 Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I have attached my updated profile to this post. This profile reduces the disk load as the step to copy the file first is eliminated.

Convert to DVRMS, Scan for Commercials, Delete DVRMS.zip 1.1298828125k . file
post #27 of 47 Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I use the software in the link. Work pretty good but is a little bit buggy. Best point is it doesn't need to convert. It can scan the .wtv file so it can also process while it is still recording.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbitt 1080P View Post

I use the software in the link. Work pretty good but is a little bit buggy. Best point is it doesn't need to convert. It can scan the .wtv file so it can also process while it is still recording.

Yes as I pointed out above, ShowAnalyzer is an option, it is simpler to setup, but it costs $$ and for me did not work as well as comskip
post #29 of 47 Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I have attached my updated profile to this post. This profile reduces the disk load as the step to copy the file first is eliminated.

I just used the information in this thread to enable commercial skipping with comskip and am using this exact profile. The processing is going fine, except I have one major issue not mentioned here by anyone else... it seems that DVRMSToolbox doesn't remember that it has already processed a video file. It will process a .wtv file once (converted to .dvr-ms, comskip processing, creating the XML comskip file, and deleted the .dvr-ms), but then later it will process it again...and again...and again!

For example, here is one of my Users\\Public\\Dvrmstoolbox\\FVLogs files...summarizing the processing times:

Code:
Start Process: 7/30/2011 : 2:38 AM
Run Profile = Convert to DVRMS, Scan for Commercials, Delete DVRMS
Write Commercials: C:\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml\\American Pickers_HISTORY_2011_05_02_20_57_00.xml

Start Process: 7/31/2011 : 2:25 PM
Write Commercials: C:\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml\\American Pickers_HISTORY_2011_05_02_20_57_00.xml
Total Duration = 00:11:02.2332325

Start Process: 7/31/2011 : 7:27 PM
Start Process: 8/1/2011 : 12:31 AM
Start Process: 8/1/2011 : 5:26 AM
Start Process: 8/1/2011 : 10:24 AM
Start Process: 8/1/2011 : 3:17 PM
Start Process: 8/1/2011 : 8:07 PM
Start Process: 8/2/2011 : 1:04 AM
Start Process: 8/2/2011 : 5:41 AM
Start Process: 8/2/2011 : 10:24 AM
Start Process: 8/2/2011 : 3:01 PM
Start Process: 8/2/2011 : 7:38 PM
Start Process: 8/3/2011 : 12:22 AM
In every case it processes successfully and writes to the same commercials file (overwriting it). But ever since I setup the process (on 7/31), it keeps going again and again.

Any ideas what I have messed up?

Thanks!
post #30 of 47 Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gunn View Post

In every case it processes successfully and writes to the same commercials file (overwriting it). But ever since I setup the process (on 7/31), it keeps going again and again.

Any ideas what I have messed up?

Thanks!

I'm no expert on this program but I'll try to help. Hopefully I'll learn a little more about it too.

In the DVRMStoMPEGSettings program, in the "Commercial Skip" tab, is your Commercial Path set to C:\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml ?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page