Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
@Stardog, I'm looking very forward to my custom plate for the Apex as well.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Mini ITX chassis use slot loaded ODDs.
There are two mechanically different ODDs one with eject button on the left like Sony Optiarc BC-5600S and with button on the right like Sony Optiarc BC-5640H.
Which ODDs is more popular in the USA, with eject button on the left or right?
Which slot BluRay drive do you buy guys?

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to order parts for my 1st HTPC build and trying to decide between the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 and the Apex MI-008. I read good things about the Rosewill in this thread but see that Assassin is using the Apex on his builds. Am I splitting hairs here? I'd post links if I could but I'm not up to 3 posts yet.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

@Stardog, I'm looking very forward to my custom plate for the Apex as well.

I am very much looking forward making your SFX plate (and mine too!). There is nothing worse than a big hole with dangling wires on the back of your HTPC . UPS tracking says the new supplies will be delivered today so I have my fingers crossed there's a nice box waiting for me when I get home!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbburden View Post

I'm about to order parts for my 1st HTPC build and trying to decide between the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 and the Apex MI-008. I read good things about the Rosewill in this thread but see that Assassin is using the Apex on his builds. Am I splitting hairs here? I'd post links if I could but I'm not up to 3 posts yet.

From what I read they're both great cases. I know assassin fit a ton of drives inside his Apex MI-008, and I'm personally very happy with the RC-CIX-01. How many hard drives/optical drives do you plan on having in your system? I think that will be the deciding factor in your choice.

If you're only doing one hard drive and one optical drive, I think the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 wins hands down (IMHO). With the Rosewill you can fit a stock Intel heastsink and you don't have to worry about RAM heatsinks getting in the way.

The Apex MI-008 looks like a great case too - I was originally planning on buying it for my HTPC. The reason I chose the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 over the Apex is that I did not need the extra space for more drives and I wanted to save money with a normal i3-2100 versus an i3-2100T with the low-profile heatsink.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by strahdv View Post

From what I read they're both great cases. I know assassin fit a ton of drives inside his Apex MI-008, and I'm personally very happy with the RC-CIX-01. How many hard drives/optical drives do you plan on having in your system? I think that will be the deciding factor in your choice.

If you're only doing one hard drive and one optical drive, I think the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 wins hands down (IMHO). With the Rosewill you can fit a stock Intel heastsink and you don't have to worry about RAM heatsinks getting in the way.

The Apex MI-008 looks like a great case too - I was originally planning on buying it for my HTPC. The reason I chose the Rosewill RC-CIX-01 over the Apex is that I did not need the extra space for more drives and I wanted to save money with a normal i3-2100 versus an i3-2100T with the low-profile heatsink.

Pretty spot on assessment.

The MI-008 case is definitely not for the beginner if you want more than 1 hard drive. Cable management is 4x as difficult and you really have to know what you are doing if you have a lot of drives in there. Also you need to make sure that all of your components are going to actually fit in the MI-008 whereas the Rosewill is very spacious for a ITX case.

I still think that you should use a 2100t or low profile cpu fan in the MI-008. For the Rosewill (as stated) you can use the 2100 and regular cpu fan without issue.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I liked the Rosewill case if I am planning on using the included PSU. I like the MI cases if I plan to use a picoPSU.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm on the fence about the SSD as well. I'm concerned with the failure reports I'm reading on them.

Awesome advice here guys. Thanks so much! /bow
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM

SSD failure rates vary greatly by manufacturer. I wouldn't be scared by that. If you can afford it I'd definitely absolutely say get a SSD! Even if my SSD crashed today I'd replace it with another one - you just can't beat the speed difference.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

SSD failure rates vary greatly by manufacturer. I wouldn't be scared by that. If you can afford it I'd definitely absolutely say get a SSD! Even if my SSD crashed today I'd replace it with another one - you just can't beat the speed difference.

I know at least a few of the intel ssds have a 5 yr warranty.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

+1, Also what Assassin said. Most have generous warranties, buy with a CC that adds another year's warranty. Just put the OS and your other programs on there and it will be easy to replace when the warranty replacement shows up.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Pictures from my mini-itx box using StardogChampion's TFX plates. Very happy

Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth View Post

Very very nice. I am impressed.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Mostly Complete Media build. Part List:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 Mini-ITX
case: IN WIN BP-Series BP671.200BL Black Mini-ITX
cpu: Intel i3-2100 underclocked to 2.5Ghz at 1V
GPU: Visiontek Radeon 6570 with heatsink from HIS model
IR: Antec Basic 3.5inch IR Bay inserted into the front
PSU: 120W PicoPSU
OS drive: Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" 64GB SSD
TV Drive: WD 2TB Green Drive
Bluray: Samsung Bluray
fan1: Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Case Fan
fan2: Scythe "KAMA FLOW 2" 120RPM 120mm Case Fan (might replace w/ 900RPM)

And of could StardogChampions TFX plate.

If I had to do things differently, I probably wouldn't get this case unless they added some side venting on the PCIe side. This case is technically a tower, and the bottom of the tower is the PCIe side, which is probably why they don't have anything there.

I would also look at getting a different mobo. This is the only model that that microcenter carried, as the I got the mobo/cpu for $160 in a bundle. I would try to find something where the CPU socket is not next to the GPU cooler.

Now I just have to wait for my HD Home Run Prime to show up...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

The pictures you posted are HUGE :P It is a really tight fit in there with that video card! I was considering going to MicroCenter too for their CPU+mobo bundle deals but I really hated the motherboard choices.

Good job doing making that case work for you! Are you happy with the temps and noise?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

The pictures you posted are HUGE :P It is a really tight fit in there with that video card! I was considering going to MicroCenter too for their CPU+mobo bundle deals but I really hated the motherboard choices.

Good job doing making that case work for you! Are you happy with the temps and noise?

For far temps seem to be good. I should be able to test it out more tomorrow.

It does seem like the 120mm Scythe fan is rubbing against the processor heatsink or something. It's not a loud noise because it's spinning at such a low RPM, but enough that it annoys me when I am really close it. Can't hear it from the couch (although maybe I would at night).

If I had a i3-2100T heatsink it would probably be fine, but I might have to get something like http://www.frozencpu.com/products/75...?tl=g36c15s771. I really really like the Kama flow 2 fans though. Too bad.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth View Post

Awesome. I am happy that you're happy! That was my first attempt at TFX and it looks like a success! Yay!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Awesome. I am happy that you're happy! That was my first attempt at TFX and it looks like a success! Yay!

It was a perfect fit. Threads were perfectly tapped. Probably the one piece of the PC that I don't regret buying
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Has anyone here ever used this case from newegg? They had a "shell shocker" deal on it a week or so ago for $35 and unfortunately I missed it...

Im using one of these with a ASUS P8H67-I and i3 and works nice and is fairly quite considering it has an internal psu. There is room under the slimline disk drive to put a 5.25 nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD-B programmable LCD. http://www.nmediapc.com/prolcd.htm
Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you found the programmable LCD to be helpful? It has an initial wow factor but is it usable? I find the font far too small to be useful [ had one on a previous HTPC and a PCH200 but unless I was right in front of it, it wasn't useful ] I like the concept though
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To each his own on the lcd display.

Personally the perfect case for me its one with absolutely no lights or leds at all. Too distracting for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post

Have you found the programmable LCD to be helpful? It has an initial wow factor but is it usable? I find the font far too small to be useful [ had one on a previous HTPC and a PCH200 but unless I was right in front of it, it wasn't useful ] I like the concept though

I added one of the nMediaPC LCDs to my nMediaPC case hoping to just get a time display. It won't let you just display just the time in a large font (you have to display the date too) and it's completely unreadable from 10' away. When you shutdown it says stupid crap like "Goodbye Master".

It was a total waste of money and a complete joke.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I added one of the nMediaPC LCDs to my nMediaPC case hoping to just get a time display. It won't let you just display just the time in a large font (you have to display the date too) and it's completely unreadable from 10' away. When you shutdown it says stupid crap like "Goodbye Master".

It was a total waste of money and a complete joke.

I havent actually installed it yet as I have to cut a hole in the panel to fit it in.
I was kinda hoping it would be like the Aopen HT80D screen. But maybe it wont
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you want the one like AOpen, that is like what you'd get in the Antec add-on LCD modules (the iMon LCD) vs. the one nMediaPC uses which is from VLSystems (L.I.S. MCE).

Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Would appreciate if anyone here could help me with a buzzing issue I am having with my new mini-itx PC I showcased earlier.

Thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20736307
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone have any good recs for the smallest case that can fit a single 3.5" drive and a slim/regular optical drive? I also need it to fit a SSD but figure I can mount that somewhere using my good friend velcro.

I looked at the Habey cases but there is no way you can fit a 3.5" and slim optical drive in even the EMC-800.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Anyone have any good recs for the smallest case that can fit a single 3.5" drive and a slim/regular optical drive? I also need it to fit a SSD but figure I can mount that somewhere using my good friend velcro.

I looked at the Habey cases but there is no way you can fit a 3.5" and slim optical drive in even the EMC-800.

Check out the Wesena ITX7. Its a reaply nice case. Fits a 3.5 hdd and another 2.5hdd. Clearance for a 2100t should be just about ok same as habey. Design is really nice all aluminum. Its much smaller in person then pictures. I can post pics of comparison to a iphone or something. I built a emc-800b not too long ago and its nice but not as elegant looking.

The only complaint I have is it uses a slot load odd and the slot that it slides out of is metal and has a sharp edge so its prone to scratching a disc. Ill try putting some clear plastic on the sharp edge and if it looks ok ill keep it there.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1089 View Post

Check out the Wesena ITX7. Its a reaply nice case. Fits a 3.5 hdd and another 2.5hdd. Clearance for a 2100t should be just about ok same as habey. Design is really nice all aluminum. Its much smaller in person then pictures. I can post pics of comparison to a iphone or something. I built a emc-800b not too long ago and its nice but not as elegant looking.

The only complaint I have is it uses a slot load odd and the slot that it slides out of is metal and has a sharp edge so its prone to scratching a disc. Ill try putting some clear plastic on the sharp edge and if it looks ok ill keep it there.

I looked at that case and it is VERY nice. But the price of the case ($100) plus the PSU ($70) plus a slot loading bluray ($160) almost prices itself out of me using it.

Any way around this???
Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I looked at that case and it is VERY nice. But the price of the case ($100) plus the PSU ($70) plus a slot loading bluray ($160) almost prices itself out of me using it.

Any way around this???

it was on sale on 4th of july, I got it shipped for $106 total, yes PSU was $85 for a 150w picopsu, but the blu-ray drive can be found on ebay for around 50-65.

I got a really good deal on a i5-2400s and mobo combo so I justified the price of the case.

i5-2400s
DH67CFB3
8gb
intel 510 250GB
wesena ITX7
slot load DVD drive
lenovo multimedia keyboard

total came out a little close to $500