Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeo View Post

still looking for 2" H case that can take 2 * 3.5 drives and can accommodate a corsair H60

You will never find it. Even if you install it horizontally, he H60 radiator is 27mm thick and the fan is 25mm thick. That's 2.04 inches. Then you also have the tube connects sticking out beyond that, so figure 3 in minimum clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i know.. i want the 2" case so i can put the radiator and fan out of the case and still have it all at 3"
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I noticed this new little mini-ITX tower case on Newegg today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353014

This is a rebadge of the JONSBO V3 from this manufacturer in China: http://www.jonsbo.com/en/index.html who has a lot of interesting HTPC cases.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I noticed this new little mini-ITX tower case on Newegg today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353014

This is a rebadge of the JONSBO V3 from this manufacturer in China: http://www.jonsbo.com/en/index.html/ who has a lot of interesting HTPC cases.

The link seems broken. Nice looking case - Looks similar to the Fractal Node: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352027 but a little smaller (albeit with a fraction of the drive bays).

Any word on quality?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, link fixed. I had a slash on the end.

No idea on quality though it's 1.5mm aluminum so about 25% thinner than the aluminum cases I have on hand. That might not make a difference. It says it'll hold a 2.5", 3.5" and a double-slot video card. A SFX PSU with the right mounting bracket would probably be best or a picoPSU with the right mounting plate.

It look like a nice alternative to the Lian-Li PC-Q07/Q11 if you don't need an optical drive.

These guys used to make a case very similar to the Silverstone ML-03B but all aluminum, no plastic. Unfortunately, they discontinued it frown.gif

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
This ITX case is gonna be great. Not so much for a HTPC, but for a gaming system smile.gif

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And here I am spending my own money to work with manufacturers to custom design mini-ITX cases. I should be doing that!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:

And here I am spending my own money to work with manufacturers to custom design mini-ITX cases. I should be doing that!

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. They started off with just an idea on the forums, and used people's input, which is the great thing about it. It's pretty much the ITX case (for a gaming system) that most people wish someone would manufacturer w/o out all the head scratching decisions that usually end up every manufacturers case.

I'm sure you can do a HTPC case, if you have the CAD skills, and user base to support it.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. They started off with just an idea on the forums, and used people's input, which is the great thing about it. It's pretty much the ITX case (for a gaming system) that most people wish someone would manufacturer w/o out all the head scratching decisions that usually end up every manufacturers case.

I'm sure you can do a HTPC case, if you have the CAD skills, and user base to support it.

I started importing various mini-ITX aluminum PC cases that aren't available in the US about a year ago. I don't have the resources to meet the MOQ to do a full-blown custom HTPC case but thanks to this forum and others, I've learned a lot and gotten a lot of feedback on the current crop. It seems though every case has something about it that makes me scratch my head and ask "why?" or there's always something missing. I have a good enough relationship with a couple of manufacturers that they let me do some tweaks lhere and there ike adding the IR window to the E-i7.

Hooray for these guys for stepping up. What a great way to get it funded and move forward. I'll be giving a donation for sure. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Liked: 20
Anyone else looking forward to the SilverStone SG10?

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently picked up the CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 to build a NAS/HTPC. I like the SSD drive slots inside along with the 4 drive bays, but its louder then I thought it was going to be. I'm hoping its because of the replaceable fan, and not the power supply. I thought about getting the Fractal Design 304, and I might regret the fact that I didn't. The Fractal Design case seems much smaller and lighter as well, but I didn't like how the drive bays were organized with SSD in mind.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

I recently picked up the CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 to build a NAS/HTPC. I like the SSD drive slots inside along with the 4 drive bays, but its louder then I thought it was going to be. I'm hoping its because of the replaceable fan, and not the power supply. I thought about getting the Fractal Design 304, and I might regret the fact that I didn't. The Fractal Design case seems much smaller and lighter as well, but I didn't like how the drive bays were organized with SSD in mind.

I have been eyeing that case and some of the other 4-bay mini-ITX server cases from CFI. I have a Lian-Li PC-Q08 right now but I want to move it onto a shelf and it's just too big. I could save a lot of space with a 4-bay case and I've learned I don't really use as much space as I thought I would so I don't really need 6 or more drives. When I first built my server, 1.5TB was big and I had 750GB drives. Now with 3-4TB drives, 4 bays is enough. Thanks for posting your experience.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

I recently picked up the CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 to build a NAS/HTPC. .... but its louder then I thought it was going to be. I'm hoping its because of the replaceable fan, and not the power supply. I thought about getting the Fractal Design 304, and I might regret the fact that I didn't. The Fractal Design case seems much smaller and lighter as well, but I didn't like how the drive bays were organized with SSD in mind.

Are you using the case fan in PWM mode? Check the MB BIOS setting for the fan. I have the Fractal Design Arc Mid and first thing I did was to replace the fans with PWM and thermal controlled fans.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A little behind the times here but here's a nice looking alternative to the PC-Q25, etc. from Bitfenix:

Bitfenix Phenom mini-ITX tower case

Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Can someone please make this case w/o the ridiculous screen on the front? I just want a solid wall of aluminum. Willing to pay top dollar but not starting at $799.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

How about $1249 with a motorized screen?

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-aluminum-chassis-S21T-IR310-Black-HTPC-S21T-IR310-B.htm

I have the screen on my M10 completely unplugged right now, lol. Such a waste.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Please...please...please...can anyone recommend a replacement case for my Jou Jye 528i. I want something of similar size that I can put an i5 into and that has USB 3.0 access at the front. I've been looking a while and I still can't seem to find anything that's of comparable size. Anyone?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do you need more than 150 W of power?
If not, maybe you like these:

or

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra-ordinary_ View Post

Please...please...please...can anyone recommend a replacement case for my Jou Jye 528i. I want something of similar size that I can put an i5 into and that has USB 3.0 access at the front. I've been looking a while and I still can't seem to find anything that's of comparable size. Anyone?

Do you still need the ability to have 3 HDDs like that case? I've seen that case in the US under a different name but I can't remember it.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Do you need more than 150 W of power?
If not, maybe you like these:

or

Regards
Quote:

Do you still need the ability to have 3 HDDs like that case? I've seen that case in the US under a different name but I can't remember it.

That case looks big! Have you got a model number or link for it?
I haven't made up my full power requirements as I'm not sure on the exact build yet as every time I thought about a new build, I couldn't decide on a case. Last time I looked - which is a while ago now - I was going for an Intel DH77DF board with an i5 chip, a slimline ODD and a 2.5 HDD - or two 2.5 HDDs if I could manage it.. I'm open to an external PSU if needs be.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

150W would easily handle that. Having myself sold a different version of that case at one time, I can tell you it's not all that big -- 240mm x 250mm x 100mm -- not very different than the OrigenAE m10 in size.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra-ordinary_ View Post

That case looks big! Have you got a model number or link for it?
FLM-7, FLM-8 and ITX-8
http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com//Pictures-6.htm
http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com//Pictures-5.htm
As StardogChampion mentioned the are 240mm×250mm×100mm each.
Quote:
I haven't made up my full power requirements as I'm not sure on the exact build yet as every time I thought about a new build, I couldn't decide on a case. Last time I looked - which is a while ago now - I was going for an Intel DH77DF board with an i5 chip, a slimline ODD and a 2.5 HDD - or two 2.5 HDDs if I could manage it.. I'm open to an external PSU if needs be.
If you want to use DH77 fanless chassis (FLM) are not the best because there is a conflict between cooling pipes and PSU. You may squeeze it, but....
ITX-8 would be better for above configuration.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just bought a used silver ITX6 to eval. I am looking forward to receiving it.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone seen the Silverstone ML06 anywhere yet? Supposed to be out any day now.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just bought a used silver ITX6 to eval. I am looking forward to receiving it.
Old version or new version? (Brushed or sandblasted?)

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Old version or new version? (Brushed or sandblasted?)

Regards

It is brushed silver with no front panel, just the IR window.

It's a nice case but it has the same problem as all these similar where the back and front panels are screwed in underneath and the lid doesn't screw into them so there can be gaps in the front or back if it's not a perfect model or the bottom screws are loose. I can't get this one tightened up. Have they fixed that in newer models? It's be nice if the lid screwed into the back/front panels so the only thing holding them on is the screws in the bottom. I think if I bend the HDD/ODD bracket a bit I can get it a bit tighter.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's an interesting looking DIY NAS/Server case that just popped up on all the stores/eBay recently for under US$100:

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=9&modelno=itx-s4

It doesn't come with the FlexATX PSU which is actually nice because I find those PSUs hot and noisy. I am sure I could figure out how to fit a picoPSU instead smile.gif.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is brushed silver with no front panel, just the IR window.
And slot for ODD, right?
Quote:

It's a nice case but it has the same problem as all these similar where the back and front panels are screwed in underneath and the lid doesn't screw into them so there can be gaps in the front or back if it's not a perfect model or the bottom screws are loose. I can't get this one tightened up. Have they fixed that in newer models?
Yes.
Quote:
It's be nice if the lid screwed into the back/front panels so the only thing holding them on is the screws in the bottom. I think if I bend the HDD/ODD bracket a bit I can get it a bit tighter.
New version is changed a little. There are screws in the back so you should untight them to get lid out easy and avoid scratches when putting it back. I even warn people in my simple "User Guide" about it.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Recently I wrote on bloghtpc about the new mini ITX case OrigenAE MM100. A new model with similar dimesions like the M10 but wihtout front display.

The MM100 maintains similar proportions to the M10, but in this new model is somewhat less than the width, but instead the depth is greater centimeter.
In the picture you can appreciate the quality of the front with two USB 3.0 ports and next to the IR receiver, because this case includes a remote control.

The optical drive should be slot in.

The case includes a 60mm fan, but OrigenAE does not indicate  is whether in the opposite side there is another similar opening, I understand that this will be imitating the structure of M10 in which the converter current from the external source is housed and a fan in one side.

Includes a 120W power supply with a pico ITX internal converter , also allows two 2.5 " hard drives . The manufacturer does not clearly indicate the location of the hard drives, one of them could be set at one side, and  the other in the hole for hanging the LCD or the optical drive tray screen.

Quote:

OrigenAE MM100 is the latest mini ITX case in the smallest size. Like all Origen enclosures, the construction is of the highest quality with full aluminum building and cooling engineering for optimal hardware performance. It keeps simple and stylish exterior. With quality Pico 120W power supply included, you can build powerful and stable your systems.

Our new IR100 receiver is without VFD display and installed automatically without driver and software under windows. It supports media center edition application and other media source. Like other S series, you can control your HTPC on/off by remote control from a long distance.  As smallest multimedia device, you can make best use of your space at your office and home. MM100 can be your HTPC, CDP, Desk-FI, PC-FI for your enjoyable life. 

• all extrusion aluminum parts
  • support low profile card
  • 1 x 60mm exhaust fan
  • support for two 2.5" hdd or ssd
  • IR100 ir module included
  • internal dc to dc included
  • 120w external adapter included
  • supported for slim slot loading odd
  • RC153 philips remote included

A great case with great success if the sales price is lower than the M10 model, the absence of display should reduce its price considerably.

Visit my blog on HTPC
Blog H T P C