Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post

What's a HIS 6570 and a ULN adapter?

Sorry to hear about the dremel accident, thats the sux

HIS 6570 = Radeon 6570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161374

I was really careful to position the board so that if the dremel slipped it would slip away from the board, but I got careless near the end.

Lesson learned.

ULN = Ultra Low Noise. Noctua fans come with 2 adapters that lower the fan voltage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 668 Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Nope, it never arrived. I'd ordered it from DHGate.com. After two months I got a message saying it'd been lost in shipment. I cancelled the order. The guy I ordered it from was a complete a** about it too -- very insulting. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to playing with it. I am tempted to fly to China and give this guy a beatdown and then pick one up while I am there j/k

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/mini+itx+desktop.html

This case looks like Wesena ITX2.
ITX2 is available in the USA, so why bother with import from China very similar chassis?

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #243 of 668 Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got a VisionTek 6570 to replace the broken passive HIS model. The cards are exactly the same, down to the QC stickers. Just different heatsinks. The Visiontek was unbearably loud.

I took the heatsink from the HIS and put it on the Visiontek, and I am not sure this is going to work out either.

Not much room in the InWin BP671 for a passive model that uses as much power as the 6570. Playing a 1080p youtube video, it got pretty hot with the case cover on. It got a little cooler with the cover off. I would really like to put a fan on it somehow, but there is only about 5mm on the side. I was thinking of cutting a whole in the side and putting in a 10mm or 15mm fan thick 70/90mm fan on a fan controller. Any other suggestions?
post #244 of 668 Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth View Post

Got a VisionTek 6570 to replace the broken passive HIS model. The cards are exactly the same, down to the QC stickers. Just different heatsinks. The Visiontek was unbearably loud.

I took the heatsink from the HIS and put it on the Visiontek, and I am not sure this is going to work out either.

Not much room in the InWin BP671 for a passive model that uses as much power as the 6570. Playing a 1080p youtube video, it got pretty hot with the case cover on. It got a little cooler with the cover off. I would really like to put a fan on it somehow, but there is only about 5mm on the side. I was thinking of cutting a whole in the side and putting in a 10mm or 15mm fan thick 70/90mm fan on a fan controller. Any other suggestions?

The biggest problem with your case is that it's a small tower that places the video card very close to the bottom with the heat sink facing down. For natural convection to work better, the heat sink fins should form a long chimney. If you lay the case on it's side so the motherboard is at the bottom, like a desktop case, then the fins should cool better. The large vent in the cover would allow rising air to escape the top.

Adding a cover vent facing the heat sink would be great, and you could probably get by with a smaller fan size, 50-70mm x 10mm thick, if a larger thin fan is harder to find locally. It wouldn't have to run very fast to greatly improve the heat transfer vs natural convection alone.

My Sandy Bridge Gaming/HTPC Build

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #245 of 668 Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 PM

I will be using the case as a desktop case. Unfortunetly, I don't think the opening on the top (when used as a desktop) is in the right position to put a fan over the card. Here is what I am dealing with:

There is approximately 1/5 of an inch between the heatsink and the case on the right. I was thinking I could put a hole on the side and add something like this and maybe cut the heatsink and inlay the hub into the heatsink. I could even try using the heatsink from the visiontek since it already has the inlay for a fan. Or I could put a whole in the side and stick this in it. Both these options would mean something would stick out of the side a little.
post #246 of 668 Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Folks need to remember that fanless cooling has it's limitations. I see a several instances of people overloading the cooling capacity of their cases. You've GOT to be able to get cool air passing over the hot components and then out of the case to have your system operate reliably. You can cool any of these itx cases with a single 80mm fan, but the air HAS to flow over the components. macworth has almost ZERO chance of getting his system to work with the 6570 installed. There is just no way to get air to the heatsink. Think about these things people. There's a lot of money being wasted here.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #247 of 668 Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

Folks need to remember that fanless cooling has it's limitations. I see a several instances of people overloading the cooling capacity of their cases. You've GOT to be able to get cool air passing over the hot components and then out of the case to have your system operate reliably. You can cool any of these itx cases with a single 80mm fan, but the air HAS to flow over the components. macworth has almost ZERO chance of getting his system to work with the 6570 installed. There is just no way to get air to the heatsink. Think about these things people. There's a lot of money being wasted here.

BT

Well, I have a 10mm fan coming, and if it has to stick out 5mm then so be it. I am determined to get this to work.

But you are right, there is def a risk with using such small cases. I came from an Antec Fusion case which is much bigger, and I am learning the hard way the lesson of pre-purchase research
post #248 of 668 Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

This case looks like Wesena ITX2.
ITX2 is available in the USA, so why bother with import from China very similar chassis?

Regards

I was going to order a bunch from China, start a website called "More Than Perfect Home Theater" and put that Wesena guy from Massachusetts out of business (that's how we roll here in New Hampshire - live free or die!). Oh well, it didn't work out.

Just kidding.

I like your cases but at the time I don't think you were up and running yet or maybe they still had the big logo or something. I don't recall. This was back around Christmastime.

post #249 of 668 Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Anyone else building a mini-ITX but choosing to connect a external bluray drive rather than install it internally?

I have the Apex MI-008 case now with the stock i3 2100 CPU cooler, 2x2TB hard drives, an SSD and a full sized bluray drive. I am thinking about moving the bluray to an external, moving the 2nd 2TB drive into the 5.25" space using a bracket and replacing the PSU with a Seasonic. This will greatly improve airflow in this case.

I like the idea of having the optical drive outside for some reason --- probably because it is by far the biggest thing in the case.. I can connect it via eSATA.
post #250 of 668 Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Just an FYI if anyone is interested. Just ordered the following HW from the egg:

Foxconn AHD1S-K E-350 MB
G.SKILL Ripjaw 4gb DDR3 1066
WD Blue 80gb 2.5 hdd
Antek ISK 100 Mini-ITX Tower w/ 80W PSU

Total = $248.38

Will use my last of my Win 7 3-pack OS. Strictly for playback through my Sage system.

BT

post #251 of 668 Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 PM

added IR to the Inwin case. I used the Antec Basic front IR receiver made for 3.5 inch bays. I removed it from the housing and cut it into the front of the Inwin case:

Reception seems to be just fine so far. I had to remove the IR notification LED on the antec piece because it stuck out too far, but I can put it it back if I want.
post #252 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth View Post

Well, I have a 10mm fan coming, and if it has to stick out 5mm then so be it. I am determined to get this to work.

But you are right, there is def a risk with using such small cases. I came from an Antec Fusion case which is much bigger, and I am learning the hard way the lesson of pre-purchase research

You probably won't even need the fan. Once you make the hole in the side of the case, the Noctua will be able to pull air in there and it will cool the card right off. All the card needs is air flow, it's just not getting any now and heat is building up in the dead space. Before you cut the big square hole you'll need for the fan, cut a series of horizontal slots in an 80mm x 80mm area and see if it makes a difference in your temps. I would bet money your temps will drop to usable levels. Sorry I was so critical earlier, but if you're willing to break out the dremel, you can make this work.

BT

post #253 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Anyone else building a mini-ITX but choosing to connect a external bluray drive rather than install it internally?

I have the Apex MI-008 case now with the stock i3 2100 CPU cooler, 2x2TB hard drives, an SSD and a full sized bluray drive. I am thinking about moving the bluray to an external, moving the 2nd 2TB drive into the 5.25" space using a bracket and replacing the PSU with a Seasonic. This will greatly improve airflow in this case.

I like the idea of having the optical drive outside for some reason --- probably because it is by far the biggest thing in the case.. I can connect it via eSATA.

Hey, if you remove the 3.5" mount, can you stack the 2 3.5 HDDs and the ssd under the ODD mount? Measure from the case floor to the bottom of the ODD mount. If it is 2 7/8" or more, then they will fit and you can mount the ODD normally.

BT

post #254 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just did a build yesterday with the Rosewill RS-MI-01 mini itx case. It's 99% the same case as the Apex MI-008 except with a different faceplate. Even the PSU has the same model number except with the Rosewill sticker. I actually haven't come across anything Rosewill that isn't a rebadge. I got it on special from Newegg for $39.98 w/ shipping.

It was a super-easy build, made easier by my using a picoPSU. This was a build I had in a Lian-Li PC-Q07 case but I didn't like the looks for sitting in my bedroom. I'll use the PC-Q07 for a new desktop build later this year.

My favorite thing about this case believe it or not is the power LED. It's a dim, very small, almost hidden green LED that is the perfect power LED for a bedroom HTPC. Hooray! No more nightlight!

I am waiting on some new supplies to come in so I can make myself a mounting plate to mount the picoPSU where the SFX PSU was. I'll take some pictures and post them in my blog when all is said and done.

ASUS H61 / SNB G620 / 64GB SSD / 2GB / Rosewill Wireless-N dongle / HVR-1250 tuner / 120W picoPSU & PSU mounting plate / Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK case

post #255 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I chose to connect the BluRay to a separate computer, does that count?

As for the Apex, I had heard the Seasonic SFX was really not an impressive PSU compared to stock. Why are you going that route? If you want more airflow in that case, there is room to wedge a 120mm case fan in on the side that will do more than any PSU fan can dream of and can run ridiculously quiet and slow. That's what I did.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #256 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just did a build yesterday with the Rosewill RS-MI-01 mini itx case. It's 99% the same case as the Apex MI-008 except with a different faceplate. Even the PSU has the same model number except with the Rosewill sticker. I actually haven't come across anything Rosewill that isn't a rebadge.

It was a super-easy build, made easier by my using a picoPSU. This was a build I had in a Lian-Li PC-Q07 case but I didn't like the looks for sitting in my bedroom. I'll use the PC-Q07 for a new desktop build later this year.

My favorite thing about this case believe it or not is the power LED. It's a dim, very small, almost hidden green LED that is the perfect power LED for a bedroom HTPC. Hooray! No more nightlight!

I am waiting on some new supplies to come in so I can make myself a mounting plate to mount the picoPSU where the SFX PSU was. I'll take some pictures and post them in my blog when all is said and done.

ASUS H61 / SNB G620 / 64GB SSD / 2GB / Rosewill Wireless-N dongle / HVR-1250 tuner / 120W picoPSU & PSU mounting plate / Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK case
Look forward to the pictures - am also considering building a mini-itx based system (either Zotac's upcoming z68 motherboard w/ 2100 or better processor OR a Llano mini-itx based system whenever those motherboards become available). It seems like (from newegg reviews as well as assassin's recent posts that) cooling in this case (or its Apex version) can be a bit of a challenge and was also considering going the picoPSU route to help free up some space and aid cooling - so your pics should be helpful! Other possible (but not finalized) hardware would be - RAM, an SSD and/or 2.5" laptop drive, a BR drive & maybe occasional discrete graphics card.

Thanks,
-Topper
post #257 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the Rosewill case (see above) while running the WEI my temps were about 25F above ambient (78F room temp, 104F Speedfan reported temp). I am sure not having an ODD (yet) and having the picoPSU make all the difference. I have not added any fans and I am using the stock Pentium cooler (which is the same as the i3-540 and i3-2100 coolers). The Pentium cooler was marked 'Foxconn'. I can't hear it unless I put my ear up to the case openings.

Interesting is that the WEI numbers for the G620 and the i3-2100 were exactly the same. I would expected the CPU and video numbers to drop after I swapped out the i3 for the Pentium but they did not.

post #258 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperdude View Post

Look forward to the pictures - am also considering building a mini-itx based system (either Zotac's upcoming z68 motherboard w/ 2100 or better processor OR a Llano mini-itx based system whenever those motherboards become available). It seems like (from newegg reviews as well as assassin's recent posts that) cooling in this case (or its Apex version) can be a bit of a challenge and was also considering going the picoPSU route to help free up some space and aid cooling - so your pics should be helpful! Other possible (but not finalized) hardware would be - RAM, an SSD and/or 2.5" laptop drive, a BR drive & maybe occasional discrete graphics card.

Thanks,
-Topper

Once I get the mounting plate for the picoPSU jack made up and installed I'll post a bunch of pictures to my blog and then post a link. If I get time I'll write some words around the pictures (yeah we've heard that one before) though there isn't much to say since it was so simple.

post #259 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, at least the Rosewill has vents on the side where an graphics card would go. That's miles ahead of the Apex!!

BT

post #260 of 668 Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Apex is fully vented on the sides, the GPU side and the other side (where I added a case fan). No idea what you're talking about.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #261 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
The Apex is fully vented on the sides, the GPU side and the other side (where I added a case fan). No idea what you're talking about.
macworth's Apex MI-008, the case we've been talking about for the last couple of days, has no vents on top or on the side with the expansion slot. See here.

THAT'S what I'm talking about.

BT

post #262 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
macworth's Apex MI-008, the case we've been talking about for the last couple of days, has no vents on top or on the side with the expansion slot. [...]

BT
Look again. mackworth has the IN WIN BP-Series BP671.200BL case.

post #263 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

macworth's Apex MI-008, the case we've been talking about for the last couple of days, has no vents on top or on the side with the expansion slot.

BT

I actually own an Apex MI-008. It has holes all over both sides, including the side with the expansion slot.

So I have no idea what you are talking about.

(Boldface intended.)

The picture is of an actual Apex MI-008 purchased from Newegg 30 days ago. In case there is any confusion from some of Newegg's photos, some of which are less well lit.

post #264 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

I actually own an Apex MI-008. It has holes all over both sides, including the side with the expansion slot.

(Boldface intended.)

Agreed. Take a look at my recent build here for some close up pics of that case.
post #265 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

(Boldface intended.)

It's pretty commonplace for OEMs to make changes on models. They realize they didn't allow for enough airflow, so the have the case altered to take care of the problem. I'm happy you have plenty of ventilation in your case. I supposed it's pretty strange to presume a case hasn't got vents in certain places just because the manufacturer's photos show it with no vents on the left and top, A very highly rated review site also shows it with no vents on the left or top and also a highly rated supplier even displays photos showing no vents on the left side or top.

What was I thinking?

BTW, glad they saw the error of their ways.

BT

post #266 of 668 Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Look again. mackworth has the IN WIN BP-Series BP671.200BL case.

You are correct, my mistake in that case.

BT

post #267 of 668 Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's pretty commonplace for OEMs to make changes on models. They realize they didn't allow for enough airflow, so the have the case altered to take care of the problem. I'm happy you have plenty of ventilation in your case. I supposed it's pretty strange to presume a case hasn't got vents in certain places just because the manufacturer's photos show it with no vents on the left and top, A very highly rated review site also shows it with no vents on the left or top and also a highly rated supplier even displays photos showing no vents on the left side or top.

What was I thinking?

BTW, glad they saw the error of their ways.

BT

You're linked a 3 year old review like it's somehow proof that you were right. I really give up.

I think I've proved the case has ample holes on both sides.

post #268 of 668 Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're linked a 3 year old review like it's somehow proof that you were right. I really give up.

I think I've proved the case has ample holes on both sides.

You already proved your point dude.

The point I'm trying to prove is that the MANUFACTURER shows it with no vents in the areas noted and a CURRENT VENDOR - NEWEGG (that many here use on a regular basis) also shows it with no vents in the areas noted. I can understand the Egg not having up to date pics, but the manufacturer!! No way. That's like Chevy showing pics of the '07 Avalanche on their website advertising for the current model.

I threw the review in because SPCReview is a respected review site. I doubt seriously that they would re-review and 2007 model case just because vents had been added.

In all actuality, the ONLY pics I've seen of this case showing vents on the left are the ones in Assassin's build post on 7/8 and the one you added (apparently last night). Prior to that, every indication showed this case having no vents on the left.

So, to sum all this crap up..... Yes, I criticized an earlier iteration of your beloved case and apparently offended you, I truly apologize.

BT

post #269 of 668 Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Next step in my InWin case:

I added a 120mm fan to the top hole blowing out of the case. I sealed up all the holes behind the face plate in the front. Buying a PSU plate from StardogChampion to seal that up since I am using a PicoPSU.

That will leave the rear vent about the motherboard plate and the side 80mm fan as the only air intakes. I then plan on making either some holes or some slats in the side of the case where the graphics card is. Depending on temps I might seal the rear holes too, so ensure air is coming through the new side holes.

If I could do it again I probably wouldn't get the InWin case. Or at least I wouldn't recommend it when using a dedicated graphics card.

I will post pictures when all is said and done.
post #270 of 668 Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've create a new PSU mounting plate for the TFX form-factor. This would be used for instance in the IN WIN BP-Series BP671.200BL case that mackworth is using. Pictured is the plate I created for him to mount a picoPSU in his case.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page