Font / text almost unreadable when HDMI input is used - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used my HTPC for over a year with the integrated graphics and a VGA cable, everything has been very good so far.

I recently purchased a HIS 5670 and utilized the HDMI output, and my HD .mkv's look incredible, I'm guessing because it is able to process the extra frames for the 120Hz. The thing is my text / font is almost illegible in the web browser, explorer window, well everywhere. I had to underscan using the CCC software to get the outside edge of the image to show on the screen and I'm thinking that may have caused the issue?

I have a 6 series Samsung 55" LED TV, and I'm at 1080p60, Windows 7 64 bit. Another thing that may be causing it is I have that option enabled where it makes text 150% larger.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Turn off overscan in the TV's menu. Set aspect ratio to "screen fit" or "Just scan".
post #3 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Turn off overscan in the TV's menu. Set aspect ratio to "screen fit" or "Just scan".

Oh man I was hoping for a simple solution like that, I will try it as soon as I get home tonight, thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I set my underscan to zero and changed my aspect ratio to "fit screen" and it filled the screen perfectly, but I'm still having an issue with the text, I actually took a picture of my screen. You can see in the pictures that when it is in VGA the text is perfectly clear, but in HDMI it seems to put a white halo around every letter. I have gone through every setting I can find in my TV with the text on my screen to try and get rid of the halo effect to no avail.

Anyone know what is going on?

http://i.min.us/il7Ccm.jpg

http://i.min.us/ilCaOI.jpg
post #5 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Try turning off extra features on that HDMI port. Like Digital Noise Filter or MPEG Noise Filter (etc..), and check the sharpness for that input. Normally the VGA/PC port will have already turn most of those things off by default.

Also you might have to change the Label of that HDMI port from the default "HDMI 1", to maybe "PC". On some TVs that also tells the tv not to turn on those extra features because its receiving a PC signal instead of a OTA/Cable video signal that might need extra processing to look better.

[Copied from a Samsung 6 Series Manual]

Edit Name
MENUm → Input → Edit Name → ENTERE
■■ VCR / DVD / Cable STB / Satellite STB / PVR STB /
AV Receiver / Game / Camcorder / PC / DVI PC /
DVI Devices / TV / IPTV / Blu-ray / HD DVD / DMA:

Name the device connected to the input jacks to make
your input source selection easier.

✎✎When a PC with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz is
connected to the HDMI IN 1(DVI) port, you should set
the TV to DVI PC mode under Edit Name.

✎✎When connecting an HDMI/DVI cable to the
HDMI IN 1(DVI) port, you should set the TV to DVI PC
or DVI Devices mode under Edit Name.

Hope that helps
post #6 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

WTF changing the name to PC fixed it in a second. Thanks a million for taking the time to research that for me, can't say how much I appreciate it.

Looks perfect now =)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAUNlewis View Post

WTF changing the name to PC fixed it in a second. Thanks a million for taking the time to research that for me, can't say how much I appreciate it.

Looks perfect now =)

Glad I could help, enjoy!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought of something, but I think I have a solution for it. I am going to buy an HDMI receiver and my HTPC and XBOX will both be routed through it into a single input on my TV. If I keep it on PC will it negatively affect my picture quality on my PC?

If so I think I will get an HDMI splitter and split the output of my receiver, I won't mind changing inputs on my TV when I go between the 360 and my HTPC.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Just thought of something, but I think I have a solution for it. I am going to buy an HDMI receiver and my HTPC and XBOX will both be routed through it into a single input on my TV. If I keep it on PC will it negatively affect my picture quality on my PC?

If so I think I will get an HDMI splitter and split the output of my receiver, I won't mind changing inputs on my TV when I go between the 360 and my HTPC.
Hmmm, I use different inputs on my XBR8 HDTV, one for PC, one for AVR/XBOX/PS3, and one more for the HD CableBox. Since I normally only watch HD Cable or Blurays, All my inputs are pretty much set the same with no extra features like DNR/Edge Enhancement. I have a Harmony One so switching Inputs are easy.

There could be a lot of things that happens when its set to PC Mode. It could be looking for FULL RGB Color Space only, turning down the brightness and locking down the Sharpness, grey out Automotion, or it could be a special Profile that only the PC label can enable.

Test out the PC Label on your Xbox and see if there is a difference.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I only get fuzzy text when there is red text over a blue background.
Not sure why.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post
I only get fuzzy text when there is red text over a blue background.
Not sure why.
turn your saturation down to 0 and see if it's still fuzzy, if it's not then your tv is probably just badly calibrated..
post #12 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

setting PC mode normally turns off the picture processing features because you can do them all from your pc instead. That photo you showed looked like you had edge enhancement turned on or sharpness set too high. Setting PC mode will often disable those functions

If you end up routing everything through one HDMI you might need to turn PC mode off as you may not be able to adjust advanced picture settings like white balance/gamma which are needed for proper calibration for dvd/blu ray. On my TV, if i use PC mode, the only options it leaves enabled are brightness and contrast, so i don't use it.

You should be able to manually turn off the picture processing such as noise reduction, edge enhancement, dynamic contrast etc all of which reduce image quality, and on a lot of TV's the optimal sharpness level is actually 0 even though that may look soft to you at first.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

OK, actually looking forward to this weekend project, I'm going to turn off PC mode and try all of the suggestions listed to get rid of the blurry text and find a happy medium between PC, HDDVR and 360 clarity. If I'm not happy with the result I will just split the HDMI signal from the receiver and use separate inputs for my EQ. Thanks again everyone for their help.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD2K11 View Post
turn your saturation down to 0 and see if it's still fuzzy, if it's not then your tv is probably just badly calibrated..
Funny thing is the problem went away when I got a Yamaha 867 receiver.
Now I am back to an Onkyo, the problem is back.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page