MKVs Playing Too Fast in MPC-HC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems playing MKVs in Windows 7 x64 using MPC-HC x64 or x86 (pretty much any version number).

The MKV will play fine until I fast forward/skip ahead to later in the movie; then the file will play too fast. The audio will also play too fast (meaning everyone sounds a little like Alvin and the Chipmunks).

I've noticed that this only seems to be a problem when using AC3/DTS passthrough (ie, when I uncheck AC3 and DTS in Internal Filters > Transform Filters). When MPC decodes AC3/DTS itself, both the video and audio play at the correct rate after fast forwarding. But I need the passthrough to watch MKVs over my receiver using HDMI.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a setting or something? Thanks in advance...

P.S. My laptop specs are: i5 520m, ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, and 4 GB of RAM. The problem occurs using both the dedicated ATI GPU and the built-in Intel GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetsch View Post

I'm having problems playing MKVs in Windows 7 x64 using MPC-HC x64 or x86 (pretty much any version number).

The MKV will play fine until I fast forward/skip ahead to later in the movie; then the file will play too fast. The audio will also play too fast (meaning everyone sounds a little like Alvin and the Chipmunks).

I've noticed that this only seems to be a problem when using AC3/DTS passthrough (ie, when I uncheck AC3 and DTS in Internal Filters > Transform Filters). When MPC decodes AC3/DTS itself, both the video and audio play at the correct rate after fast forwarding. But I need the passthrough to watch MKVs over my receiver using HDMI.

P.S. My laptop specs are: i5 520m, ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, and 4 GB of RAM. The problem occurs using both the dedicated ATI GPU and the built-in Intel GPU.

Is the file stored locally or is it streaming over a network?
post #3 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is stored locally on the laptop. Nothing's streaming. Happens on pretty much every 720p/1080p MKV I try to play.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:

MKV are a pain when it comes to FF or REW. Your best bet is to use the chapter skip instead which is well supported.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #5 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

What build of MPC-HC do you have, it looks like some ff issue was addressed a few months ago.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/History.html
post #6 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using the latest build of MPC-HC, 1.5.1.2948. But I experience the same issue with the latest "official" build, 1.5.0.2847. I even experience when going back to the last official build, 1.4.2499.

As for chapter skip, how do I do that? These are single-file MKVs, not DVDs, so there are no chapters per se. Using the dedicated fast-forward/rewind buttons in the controls has the same effect as clicking ahead on the seek bar. The act of moving ahead to a future part of the video, no matter how I do it, makes the video and audio play faster.

Somehow the problem seems to be wrapped up in how the audio is decoded. As I mentioned, if I let MPC internally decode AC3/DTS itself, everything is fine. But if I try to passthrough/SPDIF the AC3/DTS to my receiver, then I run into these speed issues. Any reason why that might be?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'm using the latest build of MPC-HC, 1.5.1.2948. But I experience the same issue with the latest "official" build, 1.5.0.2847. I even experience when going back to the last official build, 1.4.2499.

As for chapter skip, how do I do that? These are single-file MKVs, not DVDs, so there are no chapters per se. Using the dedicated fast-forward/rewind buttons in the controls has the same effect as clicking ahead on the seek bar. The act of moving ahead to a future part of the video, no matter how I do it, makes the video and audio play faster.

Somehow the problem seems to be wrapped up in how the audio is decoded. As I mentioned, if I let MPC internally decode AC3/DTS itself, everything is fine. But if I try to passthrough/SPDIF the AC3/DTS to my receiver, then I run into these speed issues. Any reason why that might be?

When you create your MKV, most utilities will give you the option of creating chapter marks, either matching the original material or every few minutes or for a fix amount.. Of course if those are downloded mkv then you are SOL if the guy who created them didn't do it.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #8 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Aside from creating new MKVs, is there any way to address the actual problem within MPC-HC? Could it be my video drivers (I've updated to the latest ATI Mobility 11.2 drivers, so I doubt it), or something else? Seems like this is only a recent problem for me, but nothing in my setup seems to have changed.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Have you tried using ffdshow to bitstream the audio... or AC3filter for that matter?
post #10 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

there might be a bug with ac3filter....you can try using ffdshow instead
also look at what people did in the second thread I linked

http://ac3filter.net/forum/index.php?topic=93090.0

http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/i...p?topic=4551.0
post #11 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

In the past I've used both ffdshow and AC3Filter in conjunction with MPC-HC, and I guess that works, but I was hoping to avoid that this time around. (I'm a bit of a minimalist -- I like having MPC-HC, and just MPC-HC.)

I mean, MPC-HC is doing the job -- it's passing the sound through to my receiver over HDMI, and my receiver correctly detects that it's receiving DTS or DD; it's just all playing too fast. Like I said, the MKV plays fine if you leave it alone; it's only after you fast forward that the video and audio tracks speed up.

I guess if this was a well-documented bug within MPC-HC, I would just use ffdshow or AC3Filter in combination with MPC, or switch to VLC player or something, but it sounds like this is just happening to me and that most other people's MPC-HC plays MKVs fine. Which leads me to believe it can be solved without adding extra programs (like ffdshow) into the mix.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Have you tried using ffdshow to bitstream the audio... or AC3filter for that matter?

AC3Filter (at this time) is not capable of bitstreaming HD audio.
It will however, passthrough the 'core' component of the HD audio to your receiver for decoding.

With proper settings, current SVN releases of FFDshow-tryouts
is capable of sending the untouched HD audio (bitstreamed) to your receiver for decoding.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

AC3Filter (at this time) is not capable of bitstreaming HD audio.
It will however, passthrough the 'core' component of the HD audio to your receiver for decoding.

With proper settings, current SVN releases of FFDshow-tryouts
is capable of sending the untouched HD audio (bitstreamed) to your receiver for decoding.

I understand that, but the OP made no mention of lossless formats. I don't use AC3filter any more for precisely that reason, but it doesn't seem to be a necesseity for the OP at this time, at least.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I really don't care about lossless formats or bitstreaming or anything like that. I just want my MKV videos to play at normal speed.

As I mentioned, passthrough of DTS and Dolby Digital to my receiver is already working correctly and always has been; it's just the fact that MKVs speed up after skipping forward in the video that's broken.

(To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between bitstreamed audio and decoded audio anyway. I'm not an audiophile; it all sounds basically the same to me.)
post #15 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I really don't care about lossless formats or bitstreaming or anything like that. I just want my MKV videos to play at normal speed.

As I mentioned, passthrough of DTS and Dolby Digital to my receiver is already working correctly and always has been; it's just the fact that MKVs speed up after skipping forward in the video that's broken.

(To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between bitstreamed audio and decoded audio anyway. I'm not an audiophile; it all sounds basically the same to me.)

I tried to fast forward a MKV last night, got the same thing as you....audio was fast and video was stuck on the same frame as when I started ffing. I am pretty sure that if you use the slider instead of ffing it works better.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I generally use the slider over the FF button. (I often stop a movie and come back to it later, meaning I have to use the slider to seek ahead to find the spot I was at.) When I use the FF button, like you said, video almost stops while audio continues. When I use the slider, both video and audio speed up to near-comical levels.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
RRF

Anyone find a solution to this issue yet?

I have the exact same problem; if I use the FF button, or the slider, the video then plays way too fast.

The problem only happens when passing the AC3/DTS to my DTS AVR, but not when using the internal filters. (source DTS filter disabled).

Seems that Win7 x64 is a common element to these complaints. No such problem with the previous Vista x64 OS and MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0. Same issue when using MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0 on Win7 x64 also.

Win7 x64 ( new install/new drive )
MPC-HC 1.5.0.2827 x64
No additional codec packages installed.
Win Media Player and Win Media Center removed (disabled)
post #18 of 18 Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I had this problem. I managed to fix it thanks to Calcvictim's second link.

I disabled everything but the "ATI HDMI Output" in "Playback Devices" - you can get to that by right clicking the volume icon next to the clock.

I'd suggest if you don't use HDMI, disable every output except the SPDIF device.

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page