Silent stream bug? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 130 Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MarcD2K11,

Big thanks for taking this into your own hands and fixing things when Nvidia refuses to. American companies never cease to amaze me at how they perpetuate incompetence instead of fixing issues. This is so major for me I can't even fathom the stupidity that allows this problem to continue. Up until I got this installed, I couldn't run a speaker test at all, it turned out once I got this working that my rear left speaker wasn't plugged in right and wasn't getting sound signal, but I couldn't tell because the sound test didn't work. And also none of my windows sounds worked. Like literally none but I could catch the end of the start up chime because that was long enough. I had switched back to S/PDIF for a while just because it actually worked all the time instead of after 1 second. If there is any difference in quality vs HDMI, I can't hear it and bitstreaming still worked, but I'd rather do the HDMI of course to get full surround sound from games that don't use DTS/Dolby.

Anyway, big props.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
I'm glad you found it useful smile.gif

The key differences between S/PDIF and HDMI are that HDMI can carry HD video and HD audio over the same cable (in theory preventing lip sync issues, but they do still occur on some equipment), whereas S/PDIF can only carry audio, and HDMI can carry HD Audio (DD+/DTS HD Master/TrueHD, whereas S/PDIF can only carry SD audio (DD/DTS)
post #93 of 130 Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 PM

I found a rudiment solution to this problem...
I have an Intel HD 4000 Graphics via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A810 then to a Philips TV.

I just run a Winamp session, play a Mp3 song and then paused it.
This kept open the audio channel and fix the bug.

I can't try the Marc app because I have Windows XP...
I'm wondering if developing a simple app than do this simple procedure
and leave it resident from the start up can help to fix the issue...

Greets from Argentina!
Juan Pablo

PD. Sorry for my poor English... smile.gif
post #94 of 130 Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Hi,

First of all, I run into this forum during the research about .... intel HD 4000. I had a laptop and it had no onboard systems but thanks to radeon I had to change channels when I connected to TV. Then I changed my laptop. It has intel HD 4000 & Geforce GT 630M on Windows 8 system. When I connect HDMI cable it works fine, even if I close the TV or change the port. There is no problem unless connect my laptop via HDMI. The program named SRS Premium Sound 3D handle the situation well. I don't even need Realtek configuration. But when I connect my laptop via HDMI and watching movies I've got this kind of a problem. There is no problem about speeches till the music comes out. The music chokes the speech and I barely heard the conversation. When I checked the audio controller, system shows that intel HD 4000 audio but there is no interface to control it. Srs isn't working with HDMI. I thought the problem is TV, player or video but I had no issues like that with my old laptop. Please tell me what can I do about it?

Thanks
post #95 of 130 Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

if it's a native bitstream signal then you can't control it on your pc as it's sent straight from the source to your receiver, bypassing the Windows mixer. From your description It sounds like your centre channel isn't getting mixed in loud enough with the left and right channels (are you using 5.1 audio on stereo speakers?). Alternatively you could output the audio as PCM and use a software mixer from a codec pack like the one in ffdshow, if you're using a media player that uses 3rd party codecs.

You will probably have more of a response if you start your own thread btw
post #96 of 130 Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM

First of all, thank you for creating this program and providing it for the public.

It's amazing how people privately fix problems, which a large company as nvidia seems unable or unwilling to solve!
What a shame, nvidia!

Well, i got a question:

How does your solution for this problem compare to the following workaround, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Here's the workaround:
Enable onboard-soundchip, go to record-devices, enable digital input, check "listen to this device", set it's volume to zero and mute it, and select "playback through default audio device". Might be best if nothing is connected to that input.

That way, a constant stream of muted audio is transmitted to the receiver.
Works for me and doesnt seem to have any disadvantage.
Will this affect audio quality?

What about your solution, does it affect audio quality or signal processing in the receiver in any way?
Does it decrease performance in games? Or will this program turn off when a game is started or any other kind of audio is played?

Regards and thank you again for helping us.
post #97 of 130 Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interestingly the problem only seems to occur when HDMI is connected to a receiver, connecting the HDMI directly from the videocard to the TV does not seem to be affected by this problem.
post #98 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all,

I can read here that this softwaere is only for outputting af 2 channel stream. Is there a way to have a silent strem multichannel signal running in stead? I have my pc connected to my surround reciever running movies in dolby digital 5.1 and everytime i pause fast forward evt this output stops. this means my reciever has to find it again when unpausing ect. is there a fix for this? can i force output 5.1 in any way?
post #99 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

afraid not, no. If you are using bitstream audio, then if you pause it, the bitstream is closed which means when you unpause it has to be opened again. A bitstream is an exclusive-mode audio signal which means it is the only audio that can run at the time, so there's no way of holding open a silent bitstream as it would stop all other sound on your pc from working.

All you can really do is set your audio to PCM, that would stop it from happening.
post #100 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 05:46 AM

I dont Think om running bit stream. The audio is decoded, transfered into reclock that encodes it to ac3. I do notice that when i run my mediaplayer the logo in avr guard turns red i Think it says "waiting" Then when i Close mpc hc it turns green again.
post #101 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

if it's waiting then it will have detected a bitstream, does your av receiver say "dolby digital" or something similar on the front?
post #102 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM

Yes it says dolby digital when a movie is playing. Everytime i pause ffwd ect it switches to dolby Pro Logic ii which is 2 Channel correct?
post #103 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

partially correct; Pro Logic II can have up to 7.1 channels, but some receivers do display PLII for Stereo signals, and it can also be the 'fall back' when there is no audio signal, like in the instances where you pause the video. When AVR Audio Guard is active, it would normally display something like PCM or Multichannel, and you can probably see it going green when you pause, then red again when you unpause as it detects the drop in the bitstream.

If you tell Reclock.AC3 filter to output as PCM instead of S/PDIF then it might get you over the problem, but your amp won't say Dolby Digital on it (but the sound will be more or less the same)
post #104 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM

Wil it still be 5.1 digital surround in pcm. I dont Care what the reciever says But id like to have the 2 Channel Sound still be multi Channel
post #105 of 130 Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

if you are using something to upmix stereo to 5.1 (if it's not already 5.1) then yes it will still be 5.1 as PCM
post #106 of 130 Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Many thx m8 for the help. i apreciate it. i forgot thou that im running optical so i cant get pcm 5.1.

The reason for all this is I am thinking of buing a new receiver. but it clicks it relays everytime it switches from 5.1 to 2.0. this means it would do it everytime i rewind, pause, start og stop a movie. i might be able to force it on 5.1 even if it gets no signal but i am unsure.

But there is no way then it seems to have a constant signal from a pc that outputs 5.1 - as a bluray player dvd player does then?

thx again
post #107 of 130 Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM

I don't have an AppData\Local directory on my machine - just AppData\LocalLow appears in my user folders. Will the program find a SILENTSTREAM.WAV file placed in LocalLow? There wasn't a directory for the program in there already, but I created one...
post #108 of 130 Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Nevermind - found it. Win 7 has two separate ways to hide files. Idiots.

However, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to play the file, but AVR Audio Guard is just stuck "Waiting". Didn't have that problem before, and nothing else is playing on this system. confused.gif
post #109 of 130 Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

it can be a bit hit and miss with the silentstream wav file depending on how it's encoded. Try using audacity and make sure it's a 2 channel wav. It's this reason i haven't made it an 'official' feature
post #110 of 130 Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Just wanted to say thanks Marc for making this app. This bug was really bothering me. I use my HTPC for everything. The app works like a charm. As a side note, it's really stupid that a big company like Nvidia will let this problem persist, and that it falls to people like Marc to fix this problem, and for regular people like myself to have to find this type of solution.

Thanks Marc!
post #111 of 130 Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, i'm glad you found the program and that it helped you smile.gif
post #112 of 130 Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Website down. Is there a mirror anywhere please?
post #113 of 130 Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

no mirror but i doubt the site will be down for too long
post #114 of 130 Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Up again now, thanks very much.
post #115 of 130 Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
First, let me say thank you for providing this very useful workaround tool.

My only small gripe is that, when the "Add to Startup" feature has been activated, AVR Guard displays an error message saying something about "aborted by user" if the system remains unattended for some considerable time during and after system startup so that the user does not respond to the UAC prompt that prompts the user to allow AVR Guard to be run as an administrator. I am on Windows 8.1 and I haven't tested this on any other version of Windows. Thanks again for your help.
post #116 of 130 Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidio View Post

First, let me say thank you for providing this very useful workaround tool.

My only small gripe is that, when the "Add to Startup" feature has been activated, AVR Guard displays an error message saying something about "aborted by user" if the system remains unattended for some considerable time during and after system startup so that the user does not respond to the UAC prompt that prompts the user to allow AVR Guard to be run as an administrator. I am on Windows 8.1 and I haven't tested this on any other version of Windows. Thanks again for your help.

So are you running a 'standard user' account then? I must admit that i've never tested it on that type of account since upgrading to windows 8, and i always had UAC disabled on 7, so i've never encountered a UAC prompt for the program!
post #117 of 130 Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD2K11 View Post

So are you running a 'standard user' account then? I must admit that i've never tested it on that type of account since upgrading to windows 8, and i always had UAC disabled on 7, so i've never encountered a UAC prompt for the program!
It's a "Local Account" of type "Administrator", and the "Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in" checkbox is checked.
post #118 of 130 Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM

Liked: 17
XBMC Gotham has Silent streaming built in by the way. I'm not sure when it got put in, but the latest nightly has it. The Oct 21st nightly also fixed the issue with 12.1 frodo not releasing audio when using WASAPI.
post #119 of 130 Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Marc,

Was wondering if you could help me out with something. I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 and have been noticing an issue with the AVR Audio Guard in MPC-HC.

I have an Nvidia GTX 460 with HDMI out to a 5.1 Onkyo receiver. When I play a video in MPC with the bitstream options checked (Options / Internal Filters / Audio Decoder) the Audio Guard turns red, and seems more or less non-functional. As soon as I pause the video, or close MPC it works fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind I should have read further up in the thread. Looks like you covered this with budtz. AVR doesn't work with bitstream apparently. Its so crazy to me that the silent stream bug has been an issue for so long, and there isn't a proper 1st party fix that addresses it. Very frustrating.

Anyways, thanks for all your hard work.
post #120 of 130 Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM

any similar app that can work for Macs? I connected my macbook pro retina (late 2013) to my Harman Kardon AVR 1710 receiver and every song or movie first second of it gets cut off..

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page