Silent stream bug? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 130 Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have NVIDIA finally fixed this? I was messsing about with my app today and i noticed that when I exited it, I still had PCM on my receiver, and it switches back to PCM automatically after exiting a file, just like AVR Audio Guard does... please quit AVR Audio Guard if you have an NVIDIA card and the latest 322.21 drivers and let me know..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD2K11 View Post

Have NVIDIA finally fixed this? I was messsing about with my app today and i noticed that when I exited it, I still had PCM on my receiver, and it switches back to PCM automatically after exiting a file, just like AVR Audio Guard does... please quit AVR Audio Guard if you have an NVIDIA card and the latest 322.21 drivers and let me know..

No, and in fact it may have gotten worse.
Now, after switching off the screen for extended periods and turning it back on, I will have to reinitialize device twice or more to get the audio stream initiated again. rolleyes.gif
post #123 of 130 Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

i wonder what's different about my setup then. Do you have Geforce Experience installed? I don't have my program running now and i've got PCM on my receiver, and it switches to DD/DTS and back again correctly when playing videos, so on my PC at least, the bug is no longer there!

I have a GTX 660 connected to a Pioneer receiver, using 322.21 drivers and Geforce Experience 1.8.1, and i'm on Windows 8.1 x64

I also have a secondary sound card attached for my recon3d omega headset but it's only set as my default communication device

I'm actually building a new pc later this week, so it'll be interesting to see what occurs then!

I would love to hear from more people who use AVR Audio Guard, is the bug still there on your system?
post #124 of 130 Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

i wonder what's different about my setup then. Do you have Geforce Experience installed? I don't have my program running now and i've got PCM on my receiver, and it switches to DD/DTS and back again correctly when playing videos, so on my PC at least, the bug is no longer there!

I have a GTX 660 connected to a Pioneer receiver, using 322.21 drivers and Geforce Experience 1.8.1, and i'm on Windows 8.1 x64

I also have a secondary sound card attached for my recon3d omega headset but it's only set as my default communication device

I'm actually building a new pc later this week, so it'll be interesting to see what occurs then!

I would love to hear from more people who use AVR Audio Guard, is the bug still there on your system?

From what I can tell, it has only gotten worse, if anything, as carageuw stated. I have to re-initialize basically every time I turn my AVR on. I have since started using a DLNA media server through my blu-ray player to stream content from my PC, so I don't run in to the issue as much, but yeah... it is definitely still a problem.
post #125 of 130 Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have GeForce Experience.

Standard 322.21 WHQL driver set install.

GTX 670 connected to a Yamaha RX-A2020。

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
post #126 of 130 Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is still there. I am on an Intel i3 3110M laptop with Intel HD 4000 running Windows 8.1 x64 and using latest drivers.

To avoid the UAC prompt when AVR Audio Guard starts, I have created a shortcut following this guide and have put this shortcut in my Startup folder C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup instead of choosing AVR Audio Guard | Configuration | Add to Startup.
post #127 of 130 Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I think Nvidia finally fixed this. I just replaced the GTX460 in my gaming PC with a GTX660, and the new card is keeping my AVR in 5.1 PCM all the time, even sitting at the desktop. When I play sound effects in Windows 7 through the Sound control panel applet, they're not cut off, and there are no clicking noises. This is very different than the behavior with the 460.

I can also say audio works perfectly using a plain old DVI -> HDMI cable.
post #128 of 130 Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I think Nvidia finally fixed this. I just replaced the GTX460 in my gaming PC with a GTX660, and the new card is keeping my AVR in 5.1 PCM all the time, even sitting at the desktop. When I play sound effects in Windows 7 through the Sound control panel applet, they're not cut off, and there are no clicking noises. This is very different than the behavior with the 460.

I can also say audio works perfectly using a plain old DVI -> HDMI cable.

yeah, same with me. It's still fixed after i built my new PC too so it wasn't some random occurrence. You have the same graphics card as me, but a different OS, and you have the same OS as carageuw who still has the issue, so that categorically proves the OS has no effect on it. It also appears the drivers have no effect because carageuw had the same drivers as me but still had the bug. It would be strange if only the 660 has the bug fixed, but i know at least the previous 460 and 560 range had a different chipset to the other geforce cards in that series x70, x80, so i suppose it's possible if the 660 does too.

Which receiver do you have, out of interest? Mine is Pioneer
post #129 of 130 Old 01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 100
It's a Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, a 2009 model. The OS is Windows 7 x64. I've never installed any software to mitigate the bug, so this definitely seems to be something Nvidia has done.
post #130 of 130 Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM

I found this interesting tidbit from the GeForce Driver 334 Release Notes:

HD Audio Power Saving
Added the ability for the audio codec to go to a low-power state when not in use.

I hope this new feature doesn't mess up your creation.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page