AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ASRock is introducing their 2nd Generation Vision 3D HTPC @ CeBit 2011:

PR Link: http://www.asrock.com/news/show/cebit2011/press.asp?p=2

Purported specs:

* Latest Sandy Bridge (hopefully, multiple 2nd generation Core Family processors)
* GeForce GT540M (hopefully, more post processing compared to the GT425M in Vision 3D)
* Standard NVIDIA 3D Vision and 3DTV Play
* Standard HD Audioi passthrough
* Built-in Blu-ray Disk drive
* 2T2R Wireless as in Vision 3D 1st generation

More info will be updated in this thread as and when it is revealed

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10
Still waiting....... any news or information ???
post #3 of 61 Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 AM

also interested in hearing when this is likely to be released as well.
post #4 of 61 Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 AM

I mailed Asrock about when the new version will be relased.

"Thank you for the interest in our Vision 3D new version. We don't have SSD version yet. For next generation Vision 3D with Sandy Bridge, we are now planning to launch it in 2011 early October. As soon as the specification is finalized, we will update you!

Asrock Support"
post #5 of 61 Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I am curious why anyone would go for this and not a completely custom pre-built HTPC? Seems like you can get a much better machine for about the same price.

I have taken apart, modded and configuerd a poorly functioning ASRock Vision machine for a customer. Let me just say that I was way underwhelmed.
post #6 of 61 Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 AM

The gen 2 model specs is avaible at Asrock.
post #7 of 61 Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 AM

post #8 of 61 Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe009 View Post

See gen 2
http://www.asrock.cn/nettop/overview...20Gen%20Series

Nice find.

jakmal any chance of a review in the not too distant future?
post #9 of 61 Old 09-05-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessKing View Post

Nice find.

jakmal any chance of a review in the not too distant future?

The Vision 3D 2nd gen units are on the production line right now. So, review units probably going out in another 2 - 4 weeks, and then market availability after that....

Ganesh T S
post #10 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What's the street price?
post #11 of 61 Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What's the street price?

I would also like to know this. Ballpark?
post #12 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Got this from Asrock support asking about relasedate for Gen 2

Hello,

It is (right now) estimated around end of November.

Best regards,

ASRock Support
post #13 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM

Wow, that's nuts! Why do they even bother to produce these things if it takes them 10 months to deliver what they announce in CEBIT? They'll be announcing the NEXT model at CEBIT 2012 giving this unit a lifespan of maybe 2 or 3 months.

I REALLY wanted to purchase this unit initially, but a whole new generation of faster and much cheaper full-3D media devices have appeared on the market since their CEBIT announcement. I won't be counting on ASROCK anymore.
post #14 of 61 Old 10-21-2011, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatSink View Post

Wow, that's nuts! Why do they even bother to produce these things if it takes them 10 months to deliver what they announce in CEBIT? They'll be announcing the NEXT model at CEBIT 2012 giving this unit a lifespan of maybe 2 or 3 months.

I REALLY wanted to purchase this unit initially, but a whole new generation of faster and much cheaper full-3D media devices have appeared on the market since their CEBIT announcement. I won't be counting on ASROCK anymore.

Entirely expected since the present Vision 3D only hit retail at the start of December last year after a similar long wait after the announcement. It would seem to me that the Vision 3D line has a 12 month refresh cycle, so any 3rd Gen announced at CEBIT 2012 would not appear on retail shelves until the same Nov/Dec time in 2012.
post #15 of 61 Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe009 View Post

See gen 2
http://www.asrock.cn/nettop/overview...20Gen%20Series

Looks like the Gen 2 specs are back up again http://www.asrock.com/nettop/index.asp.
post #16 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Finally! Unless there is something wrong with my eyes, I see the i5 252B for sale on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856158027

Who's going to take the plunge?

ÂThere used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed.Â
post #17 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurgatoryPriest View Post

Finally! Unless there is something wrong with my eyes, I see the i5 252B for sale on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856158027

Who's going to take the plunge?

$1100 with Windows without an SSD?

No thanks. I'll pass.
post #18 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:

$1100 with Windows without an SSD?

No thanks. I'll pass.

$999.99 each. I'm buying 2. Where did you see $1,100 as the price. Was there something additional cost I missed?

post #19 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurgatoryPriest View Post

$999.99 each. I'm buying 2. Where did you see $1,100 as the price. Was there something additional cost I missed?

Yes. Windows.

$100.

And $999 is NOT a good price for this machine, imo.
post #20 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Compare that to the Elite.

Throw in a NVidia single slot GPU and a network adapter and look at the difference.
post #21 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Yes. Windows.

$100.

And $999 is NOT a good price for this machine, imo.

Ahh! Yes, Windows 7, what was I thinking.

From what I've seen with this online, I think the price is justified. For something in this size range and with the tech on board, outstanding build quality, runs quite by any standards, beautiful industry design case (I wish SilverStone would make a case with a slot load drive option. And no, not the trash bin one), for me, this is the machine that appeals to my senses for the perfect HTPC all around. My AOpen has held strong for the last 2 years & ten months. Back then that was too costly for some as well (at $1,100 - with no OS, no i anything from Intel, bitstreaming, yea right).

SSD is ok for my everyday machine, I don't really need it for the HTPC, at least for me, since I don't really push it. I can wait until prices fall more before I dive into SSD's for the Vision 3D, that's my thinking anyhow.

assassin, you being in the business of HTPC/Computer - seller/builder, I don't think your argument(s) about the cost of the ASRock Vision 3D hold much water. After all, how can you give a non-bias review/input without first looking at what you build/sell. That's just my opinion though, but please, please don't go off again about the cost. It's getting old.

post #22 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it really getting old? Or do you just not like or agree with my opinion? I am a HTPC enthusiast first, small HTPC business owner second. Why do you think I continue to offer and update my free hardware guide? Because I want to spread HTPC to everyone and want everyone to get into HTPC however possible.

And have you ever opened a ASRock Vision? I have --- actually to try to rehab it for a disappointed Vision customer.

Far from "outstanding build quality". And what does having a SSD have to do with "pushing it"?

You have your opinion and I have mine. And that's what this forum is all about.
post #23 of 61 Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have had the review unit for 1 week or so (yet to do full scale testing). Unit idles at 20 W.

Important thing here is form factor. It is a 2.5 L box. A 35W TDP processor and a 35W TDP MXM GPU card are both cooled with one fan in a small box. We have a 90W external adapter / PSU.

I don't agree with the absence of SSD, but ASRock's official claim is that SSDs are not stable enough yet (particularly with respect to performance loss after prolonged usage) for general consumer. Anyways, interested users can always add a < $100 SSD to the 2nd HDD slot.

Seeing that last year's Vision 3D was priced around the same, I am not surprised at this cost.

If you want a do-it-yourself kit, you can build a similar (maybe slightly better) system for the money. For those wanting to strike a balance between DIY and off-the-shelf, the ASRock mini-HTPC series still is a good choice.

It will be interesting to see how much a similarly spec-ed system will cost if built by the end user (Make sure to use the i5-T processor with same TDP to ensure we are comparing apples to apples ; Mobile processors are available at sane prices only to OEMs).

Ganesh T S
post #24 of 61 Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Assassin,

I was looking at the ASRCOK Vision 3d and your Assassin Elite. You say compare them. Well the Elite is 800 dollars without Windows and no dedicated graphics card or wireless. How much would that cost to add and how much room is there for a graphics card? Would the GT 440 fit in that case? Also how would the temps/noise be with the added graphics? Due to the way intel handles video processing I would definitely want a seperate graphics card.

So your system with windows is $899, with desktop components vs mobile components. Also, including an $80 graphics card and say $30 wireless card the prices start getting close.

Size wise the asrock is smaller, but that is to be expected using mobile vs desktop components. Also your system has alot more storage and the benefit of an SSD. Is your 2TB hard drive 5400 RPM?

I am curious what in your opinion would be the benefit of getting the assasin elite vs the ASROCK 252B VISION 3d?
post #25 of 61 Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoosenco View Post

Assassin,

I was looking at the ASRCOK Vision 3d and your Assassin Elite. You say compare them. Well the Elite is 800 dollars without Windows and no dedicated graphics card or wireless. How much would that cost to add and how much room is there for a graphics card? Would the GT 440 fit in that case? Also how would the temps/noise be with the added graphics? Due to the way intel handles video processing I would definitely want a seperate graphics card.

So your system with windows is $899, with desktop components vs mobile components. Also, including an $80 graphics card and say $30 wireless card the prices start getting close.

Size wise the asrock is smaller, but that is to be expected using mobile vs desktop components. Also your system has alot more storage and the benefit of an SSD. Is your 2TB hard drive 5400 RPM?

I am curious what in your opinion would be the benefit of getting the assasin elite vs the ASROCK 252B VISION 3d?

A 440 will fit.

SSD is a huge benefit and value.

Modern 2TB green drives are as fast as 7200 drives from a few years ago and much quieter and use less wattage. They are ideal for storage.

The hard drive is almost 3 times larger.

I use standard components which make upgrades or exchanges a snap in the future.

I use the best bang for your buck parts.

So even at $899 there is little to no comparison, imo.
post #26 of 61 Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Will the power supply in the elite be enough for an added graphics card? Would I need to upgrade that as well to a 350W?

Also I am concerned about heat and noise with an added graphics card. Do you have any specs on heat and noise at idle and load for the elite with a graphics card?
post #27 of 61 Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Will the power supply in the elite be enough for an added graphics card? Would I need to upgrade that as well to a 350W?

Yes.

No.

Quote:

Also I am concerned about heat and noise with an added graphics card. Do you have any specs on heat and noise at idle and load for the elite with a graphics card?

For non-gaming the card should be fine. In this case it is directly next to the side of the case and should get adequate cooling. I don't have any specs on this combination as far as heat and noise are concerned but can tell you that my HTPC using this case is virtually inaudible.

We have never had any complaints about noise from our HTPCs. Then again I haven't sold or built one with this specific combination either.

I would say that the ASRock Vision with a 64GB SATAIII SSD and 2TB Hard drive would run you at least $1499 if it was ever even offered.
post #28 of 61 Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Is the assasins video card capable of playing 3D iso's?

This is the main reason im getting the Asrock.

Also for $999, the Asrock has 8GB memory and a I5 processor, which is better than the assasins 4GB memory and I3 processor.

I'm sure the assasin is a fine machine, but i don't think it blows the Vision 3d out of the water as you say.
post #29 of 61 Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
Yea,

I keep trying to build a system that is similar in specs to the ASrock, but I find that even though I can easily exceed the performance level, I end up compromising size. The price seems to come really close to the previous 3D models current 679 price as well.

I also looked at the Assassign HTPC's, and although they are very good looking machines, I want a smaller form factor. I also don't need a SSD or HDD as I have plenty of those lying around. I have a slot load Bluray drive I could use, but finding a case that supports slot load in a HTPC form seems to be limited.

The ASrock actually looks like a pretty sweet little machine.
post #30 of 61 Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 AM

Seems to have landed with a thud, if the lack of press is any indication. I can't find any reviews of it anywhere. Including newegg, so it's presumably not selling very well. Maybe this is the price of Asrock not releasing it until almost a year after announcing it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page