DVD .ISO Library to H264 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I'm looking for some serious help here. I ripped about 700GBs worth of DVDs, most of them TV shows, as ISO files. What a mistake that was. Does anyone know of a program/s I can use that will mount or queue the tv show isos and take the episodes out???

I know handbrake can set up a queue to do this, but then I have to deal with the vast array of settings to get the picture right. I don't care to compress my DVD library (if someone can show me best settings for encoding I might compress), but I DO want to have each episode in its own file without the menus and all that junk. I'm trying to set up an HTPC running XBMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's wrong with ISO? That way u preserve EVERYTHING including all featurettes. To H.264 will involve re-encoding, but if that's what u want.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM

I would say just leave them ISO as well. Lots of personal and computer processing time to convert them.

However, if you still want to convert them. MeGUI is another program, a bit of learning curve, but you can queue up everything.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
MakeMKV is simple as it does not re-encode video. Read MKVMania: Converting TV Box Sets to MKV Episodes

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would give Makemkv a try.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM

As mentioned, MakeMKV (if it does indeed recognise the separate episodes - I've not used it for TV) is a solid choice, and will leave you will mkv files that haven't been compressed. Re-encoding your entire library sounds like it would be a very intensive, time-consuming process anyway.

There's also the ability to use WinRar to extract the .iso back to it's component AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders (like on the original DVD). You could then just pull the VOBs for each episode. The disadvantages there are 1) You won't know which VOB files relate to which episode; 2) Discs can vary on how they choose to separate episodes (best case is that they are named with different VTS numbers, and stored in sequential order).
post #7 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much. I feel like tearing my hair out with this HTPC project, so many problems. I will give MakeMKV a try. Then it's to figuring out how to best batch rename the hundreds of episodes that will come out of that.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 AM

I hear you: running a HTPC is like opening a Pandoras Box of problems - especially if you're a perfectionist!

Since you're going to use XBMC, I can strongly recommend TVRename for your renaming needs. As long as you keep your TV episodes in named folders split by show title (one for 'The Office', one for 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' etc.), then it should do all the work for you.

Just make sure that you give your separate episode mkv's some kind of series / episode identifier in the filename as you create them. I think "115.mkv" (for series 1, episode 15) is the least you can do, but the program will also recognise "e1s15" and "1x15". You can see a better example of what the program does on its About page.

It'll even grab poster images for each show/series and save them locally for use in your XBMC library!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 View Post

Hello all, I'm looking for some serious help here. I ripped about 700GBs worth of DVDs, most of them TV shows, as ISO files. What a mistake that was. Does anyone know of a program/s I can use that will mount or queue the tv show isos and take the episodes out???

I know handbrake can set up a queue to do this, but then I have to deal with the vast array of settings to get the picture right. I don't care to compress my DVD library (if someone can show me best settings for encoding I might compress), but I DO want to have each episode in its own file without the menus and all that junk. I'm trying to set up an HTPC running XBMC.

I would leave the files alone and work on renaming the iso's correctly.

See here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=95230

After that, any new dvds of tvshows you rip I would just do a seperate iso for each episode. (I use dvdshrink to do that)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #10 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

The things about leaving the isos alone is that when I play it in XBMC it loads up the whole cd along with the menus, trailers, and FBI warnings (bah). Plus, XBMX marks all the episodes on each iso as seen. (Not sure if they fixed this issue with Dharma.)

In addition, I plan to turn it into a server. Having multiple people accessing the same iso might cause performance issues. I know this is very unlikely, but like aequalszero mentioned, I am a perfectionist.

I wanted to use MakeMKV, but have found that I can't automate it. At least, I'm not sure how. The GUI only lets me load one iso at a time. The CLI seems more powerful, but I can't figure out how to use it. What I would like for MakeMKV to do is to go to each iso file and do it's thing, but output the mkv files to same address path, except on a different HDD. (C:\\iso path* to D:\\iso path*). Then I was going to use bulk rename utility to go thru each of the mkv's and rename them to S0?-E??.

For now, I'm going to try to unpack the iso and see what kind of challenges that presents. I'm learning how to batch/script to automate all this stuff.

So far I learned how to copy the file structure from one HDD to another using the DOS XCOPY command. Whew, this post is longer than I thought. I'll keep writing on this post, just in case someone in the future is stuck in the same or a similar situation. Thanks!
post #11 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2 cents (that will be ignored-but it's just a thought)
Sounds like you're going to spend more time re-ripping/converting all these tv shows than you will actually watching them! (I know, because I used to do the same thing )
If you want to do it for it's own sake, knock yourself out - but spending 40 hours to save 5 (I'm totally making up those numbers I realize) is a poor investment...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Handbrake can have a queue setup though there's some others that can be much simpler as it goes for batch converting it's the only one I know of that can do it w/ ISOs.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Whew, it has taken me almost two months to figure this out. Well, I do have more time now that I got laid off my job. But, I digress. I will try to post the batch file that will allow anyone to extract iso files from one hard drive to another hard drive automatically within this week. This will definitely come in handy for people who have iso'ed their entire library and now wish to extract those files to video and audio folders.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page