HTPC HDMI HDCP fail with AVR in path - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new HTPC, SandyBridge H67 chip, I5-2500 CPU with integrated graphics, Biostar MB. Tried to play a blu ray for the first time and got the error that the output is not protected. Ran the CyberLink test program and it says the system is not output protected. Signal routing is HTPC-Onkyo AVR -Sony VW60 projector. I tried connecting the projector directly to the HTPC and it does work. I've tried updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. Searching on the Intel web site there is an older post that says Intel graphics does not recognize and behave properly when an "HDMI Repeater" is hooked up and the security messages are passed back and forth thru the intermediate stage to the display. The Intel writer suggests using pirate type software to get around the problem! Any one have any guidance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Todd View Post

I have a new HTPC, SandyBridge H67 chip, I5-2500 CPU with integrated graphics, Biostar MB. Tried to play a blu ray for the first time and got the error that the output is not protected. Ran the CyberLink test program and it says the system is not output protected. Signal routing is HTPC-Onkyo AVR -Sony VW60 projector. I tried connecting the projector directly to the HTPC and it does work. I've tried updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. Searching on the Intel web site there is an older post that says Intel graphics does not recognize and behave properly when an "HDMI Repeater" is hooked up and the security messages are passed back and forth thru the intermediate stage to the display. The Intel writer suggests using pirate type software to get around the problem! Any one have any guidance?

I think we have pretty similar setup and I had some of the same problems you were seeing. I have an H67 Biostar board with an Onkyo receiver but I have a Samsung plasma as the display device. I had a few times when I would get an HDCP error in WMC and if I turned off the TV and turned it back on it would clear up the problem.

My ultimate resolution so far has been to change the power on sequence on my Harmony remote. I set the TV to turn on, then the Onkyo, and last the HTPC and I haven't seen the error since. I have only been testing this for like 5 days but maybe it will help.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

>My ultimate resolution so far has been to change the power on sequence on my Harmony remote. I set the TV to turn on, then the Onkyo, and last the HTPC and I haven't seen the error since. I have only been testing this for like 5 days but maybe it will help.

Thanks for the suggestion; tried it but it did NOT work for me. Still looking for ideas...
post #4 of 16 Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 AM

Liked: 12
Actually I ran into the same issue the day before, when updating drivers for my onboard nvidia gf 9400 hooked via hdmi to a Pioneer 2020 receiver and then to Panasonic v20 plasma. It says that the monitor is not Hdcp compatible. I am switching the tv first on, then the receiver and finally the htcp.
Any suggestions?
post #5 of 16 Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a very interesting post that I think may explain the problem:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...cp+hdmi+blu%29

Clipped from that item:
"It looks from the evidence like repeater mode on Intel graphics enabled HDMI is not working. This is being reported by folks on AVSForum (where I'm a member), and is global across all Intel-based HDMI motherboards, all A/V receivers attempted, and across all legitimate software players (WinDVD, PowerDVD, Arcsoft TMT).

It is not happening with ATI or Nvidia solutions, nor with other HDMI devices (HD DVD or Blu-ray players). It's isolated to Intel graphics.

This is huge for the home theater PC community, a large fraction of whom have multiple source devices and don't just plug directly into a TV. In addition, the competitive advantage we do have in the HDMI audio space is completely destroyed by this problem: if a software application won't send to a receiver because it's a "repeater", the nifty 7.1 channel HDMI audio is useless.

The technical class of nerds in home theater is robust. They have developed a workaround: it's called gray-market software whose name I shall not utter here but whose purpose is to strip the protection mechanism from the aforementioned legitimate software players so they never even request HDCP protection. No protection, no worries about repeater mode."

I've tried the "grey-market" solution (trial copy) and it works (i.e. I can now play my legitimate BD in my legitimate system, but relying in illegitimate piracy software!). I hope I don't have to pay for pirate software to keep it working!
post #6 of 16 Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don't pass audio to projector if set to do so. I've used an i3/530 through 605 to 8350 without issue.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I tried replacing the HTPC with a real BD player; everything works fine. I think this points to (confirms) the HTPC as the problem.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Isn't that what we were trying to figure out?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #9 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Todd View Post

>My ultimate resolution so far has been to change the power on sequence on my Harmony remote. I set the TV to turn on, then the Onkyo, and last the HTPC and I haven't seen the error since. I have only been testing this for like 5 days but maybe it will help.

Thanks for the suggestion; tried it but it did NOT work for me. Still looking for ideas...

I know this may be a bit late but I am having the same issue. Funny thing is I just recently installed the CETON InfiniTV 4 card and installed a CableCARD in it. Installation was a cinch. Ten minutes later boom, I'm rocking a 4 HD channel recording HTPC through my Onkyo 607 but about a week later I'm finding this HDCP issue has cropped up. I did change the settings on my devices a couple times looking for a smoother startup when turning everything on from off state. I believe this is where I messed things up too. However, after changing back I still have issues. Then I read this post today that said you have to adjust your delays in the startup too. Not only does the HTPC have to be last to start but it has to be delayed by about 5 seconds or you will still get the issue.

I don't know yet if this will solve my problem but I intend to try out the setting as soon as I get home and see if it does. If so this may indeed work for you as well.

Hope it helps, and good luck!
Fellow HTPC enthusiast
post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I called intel about this problem. What a bunch of evil miscreants! Their "Tech Support" department is worse than worthless, and one of their techs acknowledged that he has never actually provided any customer with any technical solution to any of the hundreds of problems he's been requested to assist with. To a person (5 in all, I think), they delighted in NOT providing any assistance other than repeating their administrative processes that render any assistance practically impossible.

Three years and three months at least, this problem has been known by intel. And they have yet to address it with a fix.

Somehow, they must peacefully get the message that such an approach and attitude is costly to business. Meanwhile, there must be solutions other than simply buying a license for a "hack," or buying an additional graphics card to augment/replace the vaunted Intel HD Graphics.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I called intel about this problem. What a bunch of evil miscreants! Their "Tech Support" department is worse than worthless, and one of their techs acknowledged that he has never actually provided any customer with any technical solution to any of the hundreds of problems he's been requested to assist with. To a person (5 in all, I think), they delighted in NOT providing any assistance other than repeating their administrative processes that render any assistance practically impossible.

Three years and three months at least, this problem has been known by intel. And they have yet to address it with a fix.

Somehow, they must peacefully get the message that such an approach and attitude is costly to business. Meanwhile, there must be solutions other than simply buying a license for a "hack," or buying an additional graphics card to augment/replace the vaunted Intel HD Graphics.

IAM4UK,

Sorry to hear your problem. But it seems to me it's affecting to some AVR but not others, right? I can assure you I do not have such problem with SB iPGU as I mentioned in the other post. Do you want to detail your problem and your set up, here or a new thread, perhaps we can all drill in and see what we can help?
post #12 of 16 Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Don't mean to revive an old thread but wanted to add my info as I'm experiencing the same issue.

HDCP works when directly connected to my HDTV (although handshake takes longer than other devices) but fails when connected through my receiver. My HTPC has an i3 (Intel 2125), the motherboard is a H67 (Intel BOXDH67GDB3), my receiver is an Onkyo (HT-RC160), and the OS is Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I am using the integrated HD3000 graphics and have the latest Intel drivers.

The receiver has no such HDCP problem with my PS3. The HTPC fails with both BluRay and Media Center (Cable Card) protected content.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Intel hd graphics on an Asus pro motherboard with realtek hd audio card also on the motherboard, all the latest drivers including bios update, using an Onkyo 9.2 reference av receiver (yep repeater problem)

I tried installing a hdav 1.3 audio card from xonar, this is a top 7.1 channel audio card

I have been tearing my hair out for the last few weeks, speaking to my supplier to great extent, they finally asked me to try another card, unfortunately it was the same result, the Intel hd graphics card had decided my Onkyo receiver wasn't hdcp compliant, so it downmixed my HD master audio to bog standard 5.1,
Now the 'grey' software lets the powerdvd11 play through to my Panasonic Plasma, the power dvd advisor struck up the audio connection as the problem saying it's transmitting as analogue not bitstream.

Finally I decided to do a complete system reboot reinstalling my windows 7 x64, two years worth of work building up my pc specifics and ..... NOTHING!!! same problem

The powerdvd 11 will allow 'uncompressed HD Audio' through to the onboard HDaudio controlled by the Intel chipset, the realtek is there but does nothing, if I highlight the reltek hd hdmi output in 'windows sounds' I get nothing (only has minimal outputs anyway, 2 channel, no dts or dd etc). The tx-nr1007 output shows all formats dd dts hd etc but also shows that HDCP is not supported, arhhh!
Any ideas?
I've heard trying a long 1.3 HDMI lead sometimes works, as all my 1.4 leads are only 1metre in length

I'm at a bit of a loss as I built this pc with High definition video and audio as my main goal, and it's failed due to intel's uncomprimising hdcp software, how could it ever supply 7.1 to a two speaker lcd/plasma, a standard setup is through a splitter or receiver, I take it that a third party will end up sorting this out allowing my receiver to get that lovely HD lossless audio it deserves
post #14 of 16 Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Im having the same problem!!! My media center ----> DVI doctor from monoprice ------> Monoprice HDMI splitter has been rock solid for 2 years.

I just added a Hauppauge cable card adapter and Cisco tuning adapter and now Im getting that Crazy HDCP screen when tuning to cable channels in Media center.

Is there any way to fix this?!
Flan

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #15 of 16 Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Some people have solved these issues by going with a longer HDMI cable. I know it sounds crazy but do some searching around here and you'll find what I mean.

post #16 of 16 Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Some people have solved these issues by going with a longer HDMI cable. I know it sounds crazy but do some searching around here and you'll find what I mean.

A longer cable 6ft vs 3 ft worked for me as posted on AVS after all kinds of frustration. Some have had to use longer. See also http://www.missingremote.com/forums/hdcp-troubles
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page