New Build - Boot Fails... Advice? - GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I assembled the parts from Newegg yesterday, and, before adding the hard drive and putting the bar back on the case, decided to give it a quick test power-up.

The fans (case, PSU, CPU) spin up, I get the power LED, but within about a second, it dies. Maybe three seconds later, it tries again, and will cycle indefinitely. No video, no sign of POST.

I've checked carefully for loose screws and other potential shorts, reseated everything, pulled out everything that isn't required for boot, and no dice.

These are my components which are connected at this time:

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151072
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078
Board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128474
Mem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231189

SATA, HD audio, USB headers have been discoed to make sure that's not a factor. It could very well be that something is DOA, but it's just as likely/more likely that I've done something supremely silly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Have you tried it outside the case? There can often be grounding issues. Also, unplug the power supply and try resetting the CMOS, just to cover bases.

Jon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Start with a single stick of RAM. If that doesn't work, swap to the other stick. Make sure you're using the correct slots too. Is that ram on the qualified vendor list for that board?

If that doesn't do it, how about snapping a nice photo of what you have and how it's all connected.

Here's your memory QVL as an FYI. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...ma-ud2h-b3.pdf
post #4 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Did you connect BOTH the 24-pin power connector AND the 8-pin?
post #5 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Re: Power and breadboxing the board, yes, the power is definitely correct. I'm also trying a breadbox in a few, just haven't gotten back to the bench. Grounding or some other short was my first thought and still sounds sensible.

The memory might very well be a problem. A tool I ran for this board before said it would be fine, but it isn't officially approved. Would this be expected behavior for incompatible RAM? Wouldn't I ordinarily get further before failure?
post #6 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, identical behavior without the case. I swapped memory sticks through the slots and get the same thing.

I guess different memory is the next thing to try. *grumble* Would be my own fault.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Check the pins the power switch is connected to and make sure you don't have it on the reset pins.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #8 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post
Check the pins the power switch is connected to and make sure you don't have it on the reset pins.

BT
That would make a lot of sense! It would be great if it were that simple, but it's a plunger-type button rather than a switch....and definitely the right pins.

I ordered the new memory for Monday delivery, so we'll see.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A View Post

Dude, I would have tried a few more things first before settling on incompatible ram. A lot of times, ram will be compatible even when not on the list, so it's not DEFINITE that its a ram incompatibility error.

What type of diagnostic beeps did you get from the mobo when trying to post?
post #10 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Could possibly be a bad power switch. Try jumping the power pins quickly on the motherboard with a screwdriver and see what happens. Have you tried clearing the CMOS, could also remove the battery for few minutes. Did you re-seat the CPU also, that could give you those symptoms.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfoxman View Post

Dude, I would have tried a few more things first before settling on incompatible ram. A lot of times, ram will be compatible even when not on the list, so it's not DEFINITE that its a ram incompatibility error.

What type of diagnostic beeps did you get from the mobo when trying to post?

None.

I fully expect the memory may be compatible and haven't settled on anything, but given that I have no other compatible memory to test in it, there's no reason to wait until Monday to order something to try.

Regarding the post after, yes, I've cleared CMOS, pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, reseated the CPU and heatsink twice. I ruled out the power switch by putting it on the reset switch instead.

However, after doing some more research, it's apparently a known scenario for Gigabyte boards. Narrowing my search by brand (rather than model or motherboards in general) returned a number of examples of threads on Tom's Hardware and elsewhere where people have this or nearly identical issues. Oddly enough, while I'd think I'd get a different behavior, this apparently *can* be caused by memory the board doesn't like, and some report the board behaving identically without memory, even though there's supposed to be a beep code. Switching makes/models comes up quite a few times as the resolution.

http://www.google.com/search?q=no+be...ient=firefox-a

Still, I'm going to keep trying things over the weekend, and if the memory doesn't do the job I might run the CPU and PSU out for a bench test at a local shop. Any other ideas are welcome.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:

None.

However, after doing some more research, it's apparently a known scenario for Gigabyte boards.

I've seen this on the Gigabyte clarkdales a lot (esp on Newegg), but this is the first I've heard of it on the SB/1155 board from Giga.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That would make a lot of sense! It would be great if it were that simple, but it's a plunger-type button rather than a switch....and definitely the right pins.

Yeah, they're all plunger type. I just mentioned it because the power switch is a full on / full off plunger and the reset is a momentary plunger. If you put a full on/off on a momentary connection, then it could cause cycling. Hope it's the memory.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #14 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

Yeah, they're all plunger type. I just mentioned it because the power switch is a full on / full off plunger and the reset is a momentary plunger. If you put a full on/off on a momentary connection, then it could cause cycling. Hope it's the memory.

BT

The power switch and the reset switch should both be momentary contact.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM

Have you connected the 8pin CPU Power connector from your power supply?
post #16 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Just thought I'd chime in since I just built my dad a system last week with the same GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 motherboard.

A little late to the party, but I used this RAM without any issues and it is not on the QVL. Hopefully the new RAM you bought will solve your problem... otherwise lesson learned, money wasted

Hang in there, it's really a nice board when working.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just to update you guys on this little situation...

I got the new memory but had the same issue, got an alternate power supply to try and also had the same issue. After consulting with Gigabyte, I was advised to go ahead and RMA the board defective.

I got the replacement board today and....same behavior.

After consulting with Gigabyte once again, the second technician said that the RMA was unnecessary and that this power cycling is almost always a memory issue but as the memory controller is on-board with the processor, a defect in the processor can cause this as well.

After calling around, nobody local is in a position to test the one I have, so I'm going to go ahead and see what happens when I get the new processor.

I'm a week off-schedule and in for about $30 more than I'd intended in restocking/shipping, but it could be a lot worse. Just looking forward to getting this thing running.

One more problem, mind you, and I'm ordering an Asus.

post #18 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

asus wont help you they have the worst service there is. 3-4 weeks for rma even longer and thats if you dont count the several weeks it can take to even start an rma. That was a while ago but I do not buy their boards anymore.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

...and we're live. It was apparently a faulty processor all along.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Good to hear you got it all working. CPU is usually the last part on my troubleshooting list. In over 10 years of building, I've only had one CPU go bad and none of them were DOA when purchased.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project:
post #21 of 21 Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I just bought a new computer for assembly.
Used 8 gig RAM Kingston Hyper X, Intel I5 Core, but ran into same problem as described in this thread.

I have been through all surgested things from this post and

MUST be the CPU!

I will RMA the CPU, and return to tell how it went.

Regards

KvaserDK
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page