Cases with built-in IR for remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is it so rare to find cases with built-in IR receiver for remote control? My ancient VCR, my DVD, my TV, all have built-in IR receivers...but cases with built-in IR receivers are rare and some can be expensive.

I also don't understand why USB IR receivers are so popular. I want a clean (non-cluttered) looking system.

I've been looking at these:
Moneual MonCaso
Antec Fusion Remote
Silverstone

Thanks,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The built-in IR receivers are pretty much all iMon/Soundgraph branded and requires the use of their crappy software. Plus they all seem to include the useless LCD/VFD displays.

With the external USB IR receivers you have more choices on brand and they usually cost much less. Also, with the external receivers you can route them to locations that have better line-of-sight with your remote.

post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 AM

I've been toying with the idea of building a fanless system and this HD Plex case has built-in IR.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 AM

The same HD-Plex website also sells an internal IR and MCE remote kit that you can mod into your own case that a lot of HTPCers here use.

http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html
post #5 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

I installed the HD Plex IR into my HTPC case and it works very well.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

I installed the HD Plex IR into my HTPC case and it works very well.

Pics? Did they supply the extra pcb for the power section of pc?? I know that the hdplex one came with the ir and remote but didn't have the pcb..
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

I feel your pain Jake, I was limited to what cases I would consider cause I wanted the ability to power from full off via remote. You can't do that with any external usb ir's that I know off.. I had that Antec case and the lcd is useless, it is too bright and doesn't really do anything worthwhile. I sold that and bought a Wesena E7... I wanted a Lian li case but none of them came with a built in ir..
post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would not totally discount cases with Soundgraph products. Today, I'm pretty satisfied with my Antec Fusion Remote MAX case (with Soundgraph LCD).

I agree that Soundgraph's iMon Manager software has been a source of pain as they failed to maintain it in a reasonable amount of time to address changes taking place around it, like the release of TMT5, etc. But they've finally done so!

And yes, the LCD is not pretty, but it does provide several pieces of useful information. For one, it lets you know when Media Center is recording a program. This is nice e.g. when I say "all off" on my Harmony remote and only the TV and Receiver go off. It also indicates when it's recieved an iR code which is nice when you're not seeing an expected response, like when an application has lost focus. And Media Center does send some program info to the display.

Until the recent iMon Manager update (0314), I was having a lot of trouble controlling TMT5, enough so that I (primarily) went back to TMT3. So, this is where I agree with most of the criticism. But right now I have an acceptable setup, that includes...

Windows 7 x64/SP1 (Media Center),
Radeon HD-5750 1 GB with Catalyst 11.2,
2x Hauppauge HVR-2250 (OTA ATSC and basic cable),
MyChannelLogos v1.12,
Media Browser v2.3.0.0 (with Chocolate Theme, CoverArt, etc.),
Arcsoft TMT5 v5.0.1.87,
iMon Manager v7.97.0314,
Harmony 880 Universal Remote

I use my system to watch Live/Recorded TV and DVD and Blu-Ray - sometimes from disc and sometimes from VIDEO_TS and BDMV folders. I also use MC to view my pictures and home movies (HDV and AVCHD) and to listen to my music. All stored on my WHS (backed up on external drives).

I don't actually turn my HTPC off, but put it into S3 sleep, and wake it, using the Harmony remote.

Yes, there has been frustration along the way, but not enough that I'd say I'm unhappy with my case. Anyway, I just wanted to offer my perspective and I apologize if my near satisfaction upsets anyone!

P.S. If interested, you can find full details on my system in my profile (see "About Me"). But it's almost time to upgrade to 3D!
post #9 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Uh, I use a mouse.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

Uh, I use a mouse.

Does it emit infrared light? Maybe you can point it at the TV and wave your hand in front of it really fast.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Aaargh! My eye!!
post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

Yes, there has been frustration along the way, but not enough that I'd say I'm unhappy with my case. Anyway, I just wanted to offer my perspective and I apologize if my near satisfaction upsets anyone!

I'd agree that iMon does have some redeeming features. But I'd recommend to anyone considering this to read the Soundgraph forums and decide what level of pain they're up for.

I finally threw in the towel a few weeks ago when the unremitting datastream bug was identified.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pseudonym View Post

I'd agree that iMon does have some redeeming features. But I'd recommend to anyone considering this to read the Soundgraph forums and decide what level of pain they're up for.

This is ok as long as they understand they'll be reading a lot of stale information about how people felt prior to the update on 03-14. You really need to ask if people are happy (happier?) now. That was my main point.

I never tried to reproduce the bug, but it hasn't affected me over the last couple of years using the system as I described. I'm keeping my towel.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA5

That's the cleanest option that is aftermarket that is not a thumb drive sticking out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page