Playing 3D Bluray w/ TMT5 on Samsung 3D TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having some issues watching my 3D Bluray movies on my samsung un55c8000 tv using TMT5.

Does anybody have any experience setting up TMT5 for use on UN55C8000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndigital81 View Post

I'm having some issues watching my 3D Bluray movies on my samsung un55c8000 tv using TMT5.

Does anybody have any experience setting up TMT5 for use on UN55C8000?

Is your video card a hdmi 1.4?
post #3 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm running a sandy bridge setup. i5 2500k system going to onkyo 608 receiver (pass through) to un55c8000 tv.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It may help if you describe what "some issues" means.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

The 3D doesnt work.

I cant get the correct 3D image. When I put the glasses on and switch my tv to 3D, I cant get the image to be proper 3D. I'm looking for somebody with a similar setup who knows what settings to use or has experience setting up 3D on a sandy bridge HTPC
post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM

I can tell you from the research I've been doing that getting the 3d through the receiver seems next to impossible. When you check the graphics manager, does it show your tv as the monitor or does it show your receiver? I have the same setup as you except I have the plasma model and a pioneer receiver. Seen a lot of threads about changing the EDID info, but intel graphics do not deal well with EDID overrides. I would be willing to bet that when you start watching a 3d blurry with TMT you are actually seeing the anagraphic 3d (cyan/red). If you can find a solution it would definitely help me too. I have posted the problem on the intel forum in the last couple of days with no response yet. So far the only solution seems to be to run a separate hdmi cable to the tv, which doesn't work in my application. Maybe with this thread www can find a solution as there are many many more who know a lot more about this than me.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

That would suck if it wont pass through my receiver! I've got a 3D samsung bluray player but I put that in the bedroom when I setup my HTPC. I'll have to do some more digging here. There are some websites (which I'm apparently not able to post here) that have a lot of good info on what is needed for setting up 3D on computers; I just need to find some time to work on it.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That would suck if it wont pass through my receiver! I've got a 3D samsung bluray player but I put that in the bedroom when I setup my HTPC. I'll have to do some more digging here. There are some websites (which I'm apparently not able to post here) that have a lot of good info on what is needed for setting up 3D on computers; I just need to find some time to work on it.

what is TMT5 3d options configured to....have you tried switching to SBS?
post #9 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I played with the 3D settings for about an hour and tried all of the 3D settings. I just couldnt get the image to be proper 3D. I bought alice in wonderland 3D Bluray only, put it in, and the picture looked like stereoscopic images (different color layers of images). I took it out and put shrek 3D in because I know that one works well with the 3D tv and samsung bluray player but couldnt get any settings to put out the right clear 3D image. One thing I did was close tmt5 and turn my tv to 3D sbs, put the glasses on and my desktop background turned into 3D....just couldnt get the damn movie to be 3D.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try plugging the HTPC directly into the TV.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Try plugging the HTPC directly into the TV.

I can't answer for Western Digital, but in my case (that happens to be almost exactly the same), hooking the HTPC directly to the tv will work as wanted. The receiver is the problem.

WD, let me know what websites you're looking at, or want to look at and I will try to help.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Did anyone ever figure this out? I have the same set up (Samsung Plasma 3D HDTV & TMT5) and have already routed the HDMI directly to the TV from the HTPC but, just like westerndigital81, can only get 3D effects with desktop but no such luck with the "damn movie" (Tangled 3D Blu Ray).

So frustrating...any help would be welcome. Thanks, in advance.

Be careful when appealing to a man's better nature...he may not have one.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM
G--

Liked: 11
Make sure the tv is set as the primary monitor and you have a setting for 24fps 1080p for 3D settings. I'm using a GTX260 that is HDMI 1.3 directly to the tv and it works great with TMT5. BTW, another thing I had to do was revert my drivers back a couple versions, the new ones weren't up to snuff.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-- View Post

Make sure the tv is set as the primary monitor and you have a setting for 24fps 1080p for 3D settings. I'm using a GTX260 that is HDMI 1.3 directly to the tv and it works great with TMT5. BTW, another thing I had to do was revert my drivers back a couple versions, the new ones weren't up to snuff.

Thanks, G--,

But do you mean set the tv as the primary monitor in TMT5 or someplace else in Windows, itself? And is that the same place in which I'd need to make a setting for 24fps, etc.? And is that a manual or auto setting? Sorry but I haven't yet seen these settings/options during my efforts and I want to make sure I get this right.

BTW, drivers have been a nightmare with this chipset. I'm already set back a few versions due to incompatibility with HDMI output and the like.

post #15 of 19 Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM

I solved the problem by buying a GT430 for $80 and now everything works as advertised. Save yourself some headaches and just by the discrete GPU. Now just dealing with normal TMT5 not working with MediaBrowser problems.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter71 View Post

I solved the problem by buying a GT430 for $80 and now everything works as advertised. Save yourself some headaches and just by the discrete GPU.

So, after much deliberation and research, I went ahead and bought the GT430 to finally have the "whole package" and get that oh-so-sweet 3D experience. Still no dice. Can you believe it? Not only is 3D still not working but, to make matters worse, now I've got a small gap running around the sides of my desktop that no amount of tweaking in the Nvidia control center seems able to resolve.

Is getting a 3D image from your HTPC really this hard? You would think using TMT5 for such things should be pretty straightforward. (When I run the very same 3D Bluray from my PS3, there is absolutely no difficulty whatsoever. So wierd...) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

P.S. And, yes, I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the card from the manufacturer, ASUS.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Update: 3D is a go. Had to "Enable" the feature via a setting in the Start/All Programs pop-up. My bad. Thanks so much, fyrfyter71, for the very inexpensive workaround (only $59 after rebate).

Now, if I can just get this other bit worked out, we should be golden:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakJack View Post

I've got a small gap running around the sides of my desktop that no amount of tweaking in the Nvidia control center seems able to resolve.

I may come across the solution, myself, after a bit more poking around (and will probably feel just as silly as I do about the 3D issue if that happens) but, in the meantime, any suggestions?

post #18 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Done and done. After a bit more tweaking, I can happily say: All previous issues are now resolved. Let the good times roll!

Thanks for your help, everybody.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I played with the 3D settings for about an hour and tried all of the 3D settings. I just couldnt get the image to be proper 3D. I bought alice in wonderland 3D Bluray only, put it in, and the picture looked like stereoscopic images (different color layers of images). I took it out and put shrek 3D in because I know that one works well with the 3D tv and samsung bluray player but couldnt get any settings to put out the right clear 3D image. One thing I did was close tmt5 and turn my tv to 3D sbs, put the glasses on and my desktop background turned into 3D....just couldnt get the damn movie to be 3D.

Hi WD

this is my setup
Samsung PN50C800
Onkyo TX-NR608 (the same as you)

my new HTPC
i5-2500k
Z68MA-D2H-B3
4 Gig ram
ect...

and all work perfectly

i dont change any config in TMT5 only the TV size
i followed the Assains guide step by step