HDHomerun HDHR3-US Issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently purchased and installed the new hdhr3 in my setup (i3 w/ intergrated graphics) and I am having a couple of issues...I think.

First is a OTA signal issue, I have a 6 year old HP (Althlon dual core) with built in tuner, Avermedia, and, over the same coax run, the signal strenth is much stronger on the Avermedia, at least according to WMC 7. I'm also noticing a lot more signal break up when watching live OTA on the hdhr3. I know there is usually some difference in the strength of tuners from maker to maker but I can't help thinking I should be getting a much better singal with the hdhr3? Would the fact that it's on the network have any effect on signal strength at all?

Second issue is, I have recorded several OTA shows on several different channels (including on a channel with full signal strength) and am consistently seeing a problem with the picture when the show switches from one camera to another. It's like when the camera switches views there is some type of horizontal banding for a split second. This does not happen with live OTA. I have Shark codecs installed on the i3 and thought maybe that was the issue but I tested some recordings from the older HP, no Shark, and don't have the same camera switching problem on the i3 system during playback.

It seems that this is an issue with the hdhr3, right?

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated as I am not a computer genius

FYI, I have the latest firmware for the hdhr3 as I know there were some issues with the original release and signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

FYI, I'm on a gigabit network running cat5e cable, the hdhr3 is at the router and htpc is on a 50ft run of 5e
post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, I don't have the HDHR3, I use the original HDHR. But, in dealing with split signals, ALWAYS use a high quality splitter. Junk splitters will give you grief from day one. Also, make sure you use good quality coax. and try to make the coax runs as short as possible.

There will be no signal degradation over your network with the HDHR products. CAT5 can carry anything the HDHR puts out with ease. Widh I could help you with the i3 setup, but I do not use it.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

I also only have the original HDHR, I'd expect the new one to work better, not just because it's newer but it doesn't require an external splitter. Though I no longer use OTA I was able to pull in channels w/ mine and I live >70mi away from the transmitter antennas granted it took an expensive antenna and signal line amp but it work just as well as other PC tuners and my DirecTV STBs OTA tuners I used at the time.

Though going through your network shouldn't make a bit of a difference it could be the problem, if your HTPC has dual NICs try connect it straight to the HTPC.

Your other tuner maybe be slightly better at picking signals and your signal quality may be just good enough to not show problem w/ the other tuner, assuming your antenna is good for you location, properly aimed and that your coax and splitters are good adding a good signal line amp(a cheap radio shack one might also do the job) should get your signal levels to what the HDHR needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, tomorrow I'm going to try a couple of things including taking the router (E2000) out of the loop. I don't have any splitters right now just a straight run from antenna to hdhr3, real high quality RG6 (25ft) so I don't think that's the problem. I've got a signal amp coming in the next few days in anticipation of splitting, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

I'm less concerned about the signal than I am about the sceen switching problems on recordings. I can overcome the signal but this horizontal banding/waving has me worried. My pc plays everything else back perfectly including 1080p stuff which is why I think it's a tuner/network problem. I guess I'll mess around with Shark and see if I can find something.

Any other thoughts or theories are welcome
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Switched the resolution in media center from 1080i to 720p and that fixed the camera switching issue
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page