HTCP Support Required Error with Samsung Projector/Ceton Cablecard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

Recently built a new home planning to use a rackmounted Windows 7 computer/HTPC to play and serve media throughout the house. The system is an Intel i7 920 with a Radeon 6870 graphics card and the Ceton Quad-Tuner card to decode my Time Warner Cable. Everything works almost without a hitch. I can tune/record all channels on a Panasonic TV hooked to an Xbox 360 working as an extender. I can tune/record all channels on my Dell 24 inch monitor which is attached to the computer using an HDMI cable and DVI to HDMI converter. I can also tune/record all channels on my 46 inch Samsung television connected the same way. Where things fall apart is when I connect my Samsung SP-A800B DLP projector. The nonprotected, local channels show up fine, but whenever I move up the list to the Discovery, BBC, Showtime, basically anything with some material worth watching I get the dreaded HDCP Support Required error. Sometimes I can drag the size of the window smaller than resize and the video works for a while, but the error always comes back, or any time I try changing to another channel I get my HDCP Support Required.

All I can read (which, unfortunately isn't much) about this projector shows that both HDMI ports are HDCP compliant. Back in it day, 2008, this was an $8000+ projector so I'd really hate to see it not work. Basically what the heck is going on here and what can I do to fix it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the Quad in Quadomated.   Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Having HDCP complient ports means that the ports will NOT accept HD content if the content requires HDCP (content Protection) and your system can not provide it. It does not mean that the ports will ignore the HDCP requirement from the content.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM

I see this has not been responded to in a meaningful way. I have a similar problem. Occasionally my HTPC gets into a state on both live TV and recording playback where it kicks into the dreaded "HDCP support required" blue screen for like 7-10 seconds. It then goes right back to showing/playing. This happens at some slightly random period.

It will also go for weeks without this behavior. Happens on stale system and after fresh reboot.

My setup is Core i5 internal graphics, HDMI to Onkyo NR807 to Panasonic TC-P65V10 and Ceton InfiniTV 4.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Liked: 148
Try buying a new HDMI cable and trying that. Many times the HDMI cable is the culprit and it is also an easy test.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

That was my problem exactly… bad HDMI cable.

Crawled up in the attic and found a very bad kink in the 25 foot HDMI cable run from my computer to projector. Straighten out the cable and everything is working A-OK. If I start running into intermittent issues/problems in the future I'll just re-pull the cable, but for right now everything is working just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the Quad in Quadomated.   Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM

Liked: 148
Sweet! Glad to see it was a simple fix.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page