120Hz LCD TV + PC = 120Hz browsing/movies/games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the past two days I've been trying to get my quad core 2.5Ghz 8gb ram with a GTX 580 to work with my 46'' 120Hz Samsung LN46C630 to no avail. I've followed two separate guides making use of SoftMCCS, MonInfo & Phoenix yet nothing. I've searched through these forums as well but sooner or later it all gets too technical for me (5:5 2:3 2:2:2:4 and other wonderful integers). I've tried using a custom refresh rate through Nvidia's Control Panel after applying the created drivers and nothing. I never see the refresh rate that I choose in the custom drivers listen anywhere be it in Nvidia's Control Panel or Windows' own monitor configuration utility.

The GTX 580 is connected to the LCD by DVI->HDMI and despite fooling around with SoftMCCS, MonInfo & Phoenix I was unable to achieve anything beyond 60Hz.
Is it even possible to achieve 120Hz with my setup?

What annoys me is that a few months back, when I used to watch videos on my TV (streamed from PC) as a secondary screen (the "extend these displays" option) I would get a much smoother and...faster movement than I would on my PC monitor. Now that is no longer the case. I remember I had followed one of the guides mentioned above at that time but eventually I decided to revert to the default drivers for my TV for a reason I cannot remember. This is what the inf I have applied looks like:
[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\\1920,1080",Mode1,,"26.0-81.0,24.0-100.0,+,+"
I think that is the part that dictates the refresh rate but I might be way off.
Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcow View Post

The GTX 580 is connected to the LCD by DVI->HDMI and despite fooling around with SoftMCCS, MonInfo & Phoenix I was unable to achieve anything beyond 60Hz.
Is it even possible to achieve 120Hz with my setup?

No, TV's achieve "120Hz" through processing, not via input, the highest input they generally accept is 60Hz.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Liked: 10
Is it possible to drop the refresh rate down to 24 Hz?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As said, 60Hz is the highest you can achieve on a PC to a TV (a very few exceptions exist, as some high-end monitors are 120Hz). For the most part, you'll want to keep your PC at 60Hz. This gives smooth mouse operation on the desktop. For bluray movies, you can change it to 24Hz if the 3:2 pulldown bothers you.

Programs exist out there that can automatically change your refresh rate based off the source video. I use the built-in refresh rate changer in MPC-HC, which loads through 7MC Media Browser.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
This information shows up as a first-page search result (June 11th, 2013) in Google USA, when searching for 120Hz from PC to TV. So I'm bumping this still-visited thread to ADD important new information:

There are now many televisions that can accept 120Hz from a computer (in an undocumented way). This is done via ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility, or EVGA PIXEL OC utility, or other utilities -- to force 120Hz from a PC to TV. True native 120Hz, not interpolated 120Hz. Includes confirmations via Refresh Rate Multitool!

True 120Hz from PC to TV --
HDTV Refresh Rate Overclocking HOWTO

Several success reports include:
-- Vizio M420SL and e3d420vx (1080p at 120Hz from PC to TV)
-- Panasonic VT50 plasma (1080p@120Hz)
-- SEIKI 4K HDTV (1080p@120Hz).
-- Etc.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page