HTPC Blu-Ray and DVD image quality vs stand alone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
andymnfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you had a HD6XXX Sandy Bridge HTPC and an Oppo, what would look better for Blu-Ray and DVD? I keep thinking the computer would be the best because the processing power of modern day CPUs and GPUs is just mind boggling. If anyone had an answer and reason, I'd be much obliged.
andymnfun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
You can get at least the same, if not better, quality out of a HTPC. Perfect results do however require some setting up, fine tuning, and alot of patience.

For alot of people thats part of the fun, well, at least for me.

I don't know the exact specs of the Oppo, but there are good standalone BluRay players out there, and if your only goal is to watch disc based media like BluRay or DVD, then i would say go for it.

HTPCs are really alot stronger when it comes to file-based media from the internet, for discs-only you should be fine with a stand-alone.
Nevcairiel is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
balky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You definately have more possibilities, flexibility and better image quality when using an HTPC.

But that doesn't come out of the box by default...

If you spend some time reading and getting the facts right, you won't regret going the HTPC route.

If you just want to connect cables, press remote buttons, and watch your media, OPPO might be more advisable...
balky is online now  
post #4 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
andymnfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What fine tuning do you have to do with an HTPC in terms of watching Blu-Ray and DVDs on Cyberlink? I didn't even know there were settings.
andymnfun is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
andymnfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
?
andymnfun is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After building my htpc I realize I don't do much with it. I should have gone with the Oppo BDP-93. Oppo has the fastest bluray start up. Top of the line video n audio quality. If your just going to watch movies and netflix then go with oppo. Just pop in a disc or a drive and your good to go. if your going to do more like maximum storage of movie files or computer work/gaming then go with htpc. There's Settings and codecs to have to mess with on a htpc. Theres a few software issues with bluray disc. Netflix doesn't look so great compared to my xbox 360.
anekin007 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark_A_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A standalone will play 100% smooth.

A PC.....madVR and Reclock are your best bet, but it's still not perfect.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
Mark_A_W is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Senior Member
 
lilwheezy75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm curious as to what is necessary to get the best picture. I see blu ay players that boast top of the line performance, better upconvert, ect ect... Can our pcs do this and how?
lilwheezy75 is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had perfectly smooth playback for a while with my low-end htpc. I use nothing but Win7 32 bit, TMT3, and an Asus hdav 1.3.

I used to have an Oppo 83 BD player but sold it because I rarely used it after building a htpc. I guess I've grown accustomed to a movie loading in a few seconds vs minutes with some discs.

Now that I discovered my Patriot PBO Core will pass HD audio, I use my htpc even less for playback of BD rips.
audit13 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark_A_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perfectly smooth?

That's a bold statement. It's borderline impossible imho, madVR fullscreen exclusive mode would be the closest.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
Mark_A_W is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
lilwheezy75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well i thought that TMT5 on my Media Center looked good. When you say perfectly smooth... i guess your referring to actual operation.

Mine is pretty smooth aside from the fact that TMT5 would not allow my remote to control it properly but irule fixed that.

Can MADvr be used in conjuction with TMT5 or no because i did buy this program and do not want to turn away on money spent.
lilwheezy75 is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post

Perfectly smooth?

That's a bold statement. It's borderline impossible imho, madVR fullscreen exclusive mode would be the closest.

Are you referring to playback of picture and sound? I have no problems playing back BDs or BD rips with HD audio. No stuttering, stalling, or lip-sync issues.

If you are referring to the software, I admit I had problems under WinXP but it's been perfect under Win7. I only use my htpc to record/playback OTA and BDs/BD rips. I do not watch DVDs anymore.
audit13 is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
bimmerfreak0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Standalone=better stability...long load times (previews, menu, all that crap)

HTPC=infinite storage, codec issues, can break more often from a simple update, awesome interface if you ONLY want the main title...

I think you kinda kill the HTPC benefits if you are .iso mounting everything...you are then eliminating the "skip" feature of having a movie in an .mkv format (or whatever your choice is).
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

Standalone=better stability...long load times (previews, menu, all that crap)

HTPC=infinite storage, codec issues, can break more often from a simple update, awesome interface if you ONLY want the main title...

I think you kinda kill the HTPC benefits if you are .iso mounting everything...you are then eliminating the "skip" feature of having a movie in an .mkv format (or whatever your choice is).

TMT gives me full BD menus on all the BDs and BD rips I have tried on my htpc.
audit13 is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark_A_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm talking about perfectly smooth playback, with no little jumps or jerks.

I do not believe TMT is capable of doing it, but happy to be proven wrong (it can't do it on my i7 950 setup).

I've watched hours of credits watching while testing various setups..

Loving my Electric Bike!!
Mark_A_W is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I'm talking about perfectly smooth playback, with no little jumps or jerks.

I do not believe TMT is capable of doing it, but happy to be proven wrong (it can't do it on my i7 950 setup).

I've watched hours of credits watching while testing various setups..
I can honestly say that I get perfectly smooth playback of BDs and BD rips with no jumps or jerks at all with the version of TMT3 that came with my HDAV 1.3. HD audio (DTS-HD MA, TrueHD) is being bitstreamed to my receiver for decoding with no lip-sync issues at all. I put together a low-end BD htpc for a couple of my friends and they also have no issues.
audit13 is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what bd drive are u using audit13?
anekin007 is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post

After building my htpc I realize I don't do much with it. I should have gone with the Oppo BDP-93. Oppo has the fastest bluray start up. Top of the line video n audio quality. If your just going to watch movies and netflix then go with oppo. Just pop in a disc or a drive and your good to go. if your going to do more like maximum storage of movie files or computer work/gaming then go with htpc. There's Settings and codecs to have to mess with on a htpc. Theres a few software issues with bluray disc. Netflix doesn't look so great compared to my xbox 360.

You built a Htpc just to watch blurays, why?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

You built a Htpc just to watch blurays, why?

i never said i build it just to play blurays. I use mine as a media storage, video editing, and gaming. I do like to have a collection of my favorite movies on bd. new releases for bd are under $20 and some older bd are on sale or $5-10. i tested a couple drives but been disappointed in load time and playback issues with disc. my friend has the oppo bdp 93 which i initially was going to get. i havnt tried bd iso files but not having any problems with mkv bluray rips. mkv files have never been an issue. even my samsung tv plays mkv files of a portable drive without any problems but i just hate the UI.
anekin007 is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post


i never said i build it just to play blurays. I use mine as a media storage, video editing, and gaming. I do like to have a collection of my favorite movies on bd. new releases for bd are under $20 and some older bd are on sale or $5-10. i tested a couple drives but been disappointed in load time and playback issues with disc. my friend has the oppo bdp 93 which i initially was going to get. i havnt tried bd iso files but not having any problems with mkv bluray rips. mkv files have never been an issue. even my samsung tv plays mkv files of a portable drive without any problems but i just hate the UI.

Why don't you just backup the BLURAY to an ISO for exact 1:1 quality or a mkv 6-15 gb or somthing and still have near feeder quality and storey bd away. Th

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then use a media center for playback. They look way cooler than any stand alone player. Such as xbmc, wmc, boxee etc.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post

what bd drive are u using audit13?

I'm using an LG 8x bdrom/dvd-rw drive. Previously, I was using a 4x Liteon BDrom.

As another person has already mentioned, the load times are a pain I now rip my movies to my hard drive for playback. I rarely use my bdrom drive for watching a movies these days.
audit13 is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post

After building my htpc I realize I don't do much with it. I should have gone with the Oppo BDP-93. Oppo has the fastest bluray start up. Top of the line video n audio quality. If your just going to watch movies and netflix then go with oppo. Just pop in a disc or a drive and your good to go. if your going to do more like maximum storage of movie files or computer work/gaming then go with htpc. There's Settings and codecs to have to mess with on a htpc. Theres a few software issues with bluray disc. Netflix doesn't look so great compared to my xbox 360.

Its not even about "just watching movies". Some of us hate forced adverts. Forced trailers. 15-second FBI warnings (I don't even live in the god damn US!) and all the other crap that you have to sift through just to get to the movie. No thanks. I have a custom trailer that shows the studio intro, the audio codec trailer used on the disc, and if I want to wow the company, one of the many THX trailers.

Can't do that with a disc player.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Its not even about "just watching movies". Some of us hate forced adverts. Forced trailers. 15-second FBI warnings (I don't even live in the god damn US!) and all the other crap that you have to sift through just to get to the movie. No thanks. I have a custom trailer that shows the studio intro, the audio codec trailer used on the disc, and if I want to wow the company, one of the many THX trailers.

Can't do that with a disc player.

Standalone disc players like oppo supports most of the major formats. Seem your issue is not about disc players but retail disc. I have no problem with people barrowing movies from the internet. I do it too but I also support movies I like by buying the bluray. The ads for movies been around for decades so it doesn't bother me. I also watch the extra bonus features on the disc which some can run up to 3 hours total. I could rip but that's like 20gb+ of space a disc. One of my drive is a samsung 2tb for my backups and it's over half full. it takes about 15 seconds to load when I try to access the drive. Having a ssd as main drive and wd black as 2nd drive I find that 15 seconds to last forever. Some people like backups but I like to have the hard copy movies. It's not a music cd or cassette tape where it's constantly being played passed around and could get easily damage.
anekin007 is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post


Standalone disc players like oppo supports most of the major formats. Seem your issue is not about disc players but retail disc. I have no problem with people barrowing movies from the internet. I do it too but I also support movies I like by buying the bluray. The ads for movies been around for decades so it doesn't bother me. I also watch the extra bonus features on the disc which some can run up to 3 hours total. I could rip but that's like 20gb+ of space a disc. One of my drive is a samsung 2tb for my backups and it's over half full. it takes about 15 seconds to load when I try to access the drive. Having a ssd as main drive and wd black as 2nd drive I find that 15 seconds to last forever. Some people like backups but I like to have the hard copy movies. It's not a music cd or cassette tape where it's constantly being played passed around and could get easily damage.

How do watch your movies? Do you use a media centre?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

How do watch your movies? Do you use a media centre?

right now for bluray im using TMT. for my movie file collection im using 7MC with Media Browser. the rest of my video file I use MPC. with netflix streaming library getting better my movie library hasnt grown much.
anekin007 is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
teknikk7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino Hills, CA 91709
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like you may have some hardware issues. My 4TB of MKV rips, ISO and avi load instantly. I also have a samsung drive. Maybe your heads are parking more than they should. Update firmware, check your settings.
teknikk7 is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post


right now for bluray im using TMT. for my movie file collection im using 7MC with Media Browser. the rest of my video file I use MPC. with netflix streaming library getting better my movie library hasnt grown much.

So you have a media centre but you hate the UI? No BLURAY player in the world will give you a better ui than a Htpc media center. Have you tried adding in all the Plugins and skins so you have all the dvd and BLURAY cases, all the cool backgrounds, widgets for access to hulu, Netflix, boxee, xbmc, YouTube, revision 3 etc. Etc. Movie and tv posters, banners, thumbnails, video games, stored music, online music, streaming music, photos, recorded tv, live tv, and on and on, on.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Member
 
anekin007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post
So you have a media centre but you hate the UI? No BLURAY player in the world will give you a better ui than a Htpc media center. Have you tried adding in all the Plugins and skins so you have all the dvd and BLURAY cases, all the cool backgrounds, widgets for access to hulu, Netflix, boxee, xbmc, YouTube, revision 3 etc. Etc. Movie and tv posters, banners, thumbnails, video games, stored music, online music, streaming music, photos, recorded tv, live tv, and on and on, on.
i was referring to my samsung tv. before i built my htpc i ran all my movies through a portable drive to my tv and the UI on it terrible.
anekin007 is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post

Standalone disc players like oppo supports most of the major formats. Seem your issue is not about disc players but retail disc. I have no problem with people barrowing movies from the internet. I do it too but I also support movies I like by buying the bluray. The ads for movies been around for decades so it doesn't bother me. I also watch the extra bonus features on the disc which some can run up to 3 hours total. I could rip but that's like 20gb+ of space a disc. One of my drive is a samsung 2tb for my backups and it's over half full. it takes about 15 seconds to load when I try to access the drive. Having a ssd as main drive and wd black as 2nd drive I find that 15 seconds to last forever. Some people like backups but I like to have the hard copy movies. It's not a music cd or cassette tape where it's constantly being played passed around and could get easily damage.

??? WTF are you talking about? I don't own any "internet movies"...heck I don't even know what an "internet movie" is. ?? All my movies are in their cases on my Blu-ray/HD DVD shelf. I like the hard copy too. Big whoop. I just don't like to watch from the hard copy. I don't know why that's so hard to understand?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off