Advice please - building an all-in-one, small factor media PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-17-2011, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
mxz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello fellow enthusiasts. I'm looking for a bit of advice.

For some time now I have been thinking of getting a multi purpose device to put under the TV in my living room to serve all my entertainment needs. I've been looking at things like XBMC on a small factor PC, Popcorn Hour C200, a Dune Prime, even a Mac Mini and all kinds of other good options, but I really need a "all in one" device that would let me play both multi region Bluray & DVD discs, stream all sorts of HD media (.mkv, .mp4) from my Mac or from a networked drive. If Bluray wasn't an issue, I would settle for a Dune or Popcorn easily, but I really want to be able to view international films on BD and most of them come from different regions.

What options do I have? I hear that one can fit a C200 with a patched BDROM and play all regions. But how about small factor PCs? I would really appreciate being able to run Windows or Linux on it so I could use it as a ********** client. How would I go about building one with a multi region BDROM and still keeping the small form factor?

Do I simply get the smallest, best PC I can, get a wireless keyboard and mouse and simply use it as a computer to play Bluray and DVD via software like VLC? Does it even work that way? Or would you recommend still getting a C200 and maybe adding a cheap PC to serve as a BT client?

There are so many options. Ideally, I want to run XBMC when I need a streamer, BT when I need to download something and some way to play Blurays.

Any advice appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz View Post

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I'm looking for a bit of advice.

There are so many options. Ideally, I want to run XBMC when I need a streamer, BT when I need to download something and some way to play Blurays.

Any advice appreciated!

I would build a mini-ITX HTPC.

I have several in my guide. Take a look at my sig below.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page