What do you think is fair market value....... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 110 Old 04-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to the software issues, I think folks that are mostly PC challenged my shy away slightly. At least I think those will be the people you should test your process on. Pick someone you know and demo with them, and if they can follow the instructions and have success then you should be good. I think a lot of older folks that might think this is cool but have not worked or embraced the tech. community as most of us have will find it too difficult. Younger non-tech. types will be more willing to devote some time to get knowledgeable about the product. I totally agree that a major selling point for your product will be the lack of bloatware. That is the main reason I started building my own stuff in the first place, to eliminate bloatware. HP and others are just loaded with garbage that slows your machine down from day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Is there anything out there off the shelf that has...
  • All quality consumer grade parts
  • i3 or similar CPU
  • 2TB Hard Drive
  • 4GB Quality RAM
  • Bluray Drive
  • Quality ITX Case and PSU
  • eSATA, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, SATAIII, SATAII, AHCI
  • Solid State Drive for the OS
  • Windows 7 legit copy without bloatware
  • BIOS configured and optimized
  • Professional, Custom build
  • And as a bonus a tutorial on how to get it all started...

... for less than $900?

I think I have a winner here. Even for a regular desktop machine this would be one heck of a PC.
post #93 of 110 Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #94 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Are you going to brand your cases? If you have customers which are successful, and those customers have guests who say "this is cool - what is it" you should want them to say an assassin HTPC and let the logo do the talking.

Also, any thought to changing the name? JMO, but it's friendly to males but unfriendly to women, parents, and the middle aged+.

My wife lumps computers and video game consoles into one bucket in her mind, and there's no way she would allow a product branded with the name 'assassin' into our house unless it is going to kill insects.
post #95 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Best of luck to you assassin.

I know it's already been discussed in the thread but my brother has embarked on a similar venture and he is spending way too much on tech support.

post #96 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytrain View Post

Are you going to brand your cases? If you have customers which are successful, and those customers have guests who say "this is cool - what is it" you should want them to say an assassin HTPC and let the logo do the talking.

Also, any thought to changing the name? JMO, but it's friendly to males but unfriendly to women, parents, and the middle aged+.

My wife lumps computers and video game consoles into one bucket in her mind, and there's no way she would allow a product branded with the name 'assassin' into our house unless it is going to kill insects.

No, pretty much locked on the name.

Our case may have a very small badge on the front. Probably with just the logo.
post #97 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post

Best of luck to you assassin.

I know it's already been discussed in the thread but my brother has embarked on a similar venture and he is spending way too much on tech support.

This is one of our major concerns as well. We'll see how it goes.
post #98 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM

I have been building systems for 15+ years and don't take on builds anymore with a budget below $1,500 - $2,000. I mainly build redundant systems for day traders and high end gaming PC's. My latest venture on my HTPC build has been the longest configuration cycle of any system. I'm still making minor tweaks here and there and it's been over 1 month. Mainly trying to pin down lip sync issues, was it my 60" KURO? My Pio Elite? Codecs? Video card?

Factor in all the problems unrelated to the actual HTPC, Recivers, Input Lag, Bit Streaming to fussy receivers. The issues could be endless depending on the persons equipment. Trying to pinpoint lip sync issues? These things cannot be done remotely, you need to physically be there troubleshooting. If the HTPC is not functioning 100% they will call and bug you, even if it's not your issue.

If the price is right, and they are paying for support (Hence the reason I only do high end builds now) then go for it. If you are trying to go after the penny pincher market (which it sounds like you are) you will loose money. Best of luck to you.

This is what I tell low budget people,
Build me a PC= "Go buy a dell"
Build me a HTPC= "Go buy a Boxee"
post #99 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #100 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Shoot for the high end market. People with nice home theaters. They could care less about the actual cost of the PC or what's inside of them. They are paying for a product and service.
post #101 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Most people have trouble just connecting their new Blu-ray player or TV to the internet. Once that is complete (99% of the time via WiFi) they complain about Netflix stuttering (due to their WiFi). Each step that we take for granted is a potential trouble spot for these people.

The tutorial better be thorough, simple, and short or your phone will be ringing within 10 minutes of trying to connect their new HTPC. Too bad you aren't going to be able to preinstall the HTPC software.

post #102 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 View Post

Shoot for the high end market. People with nice home theaters. They could care less about the actual cost of the PC or what's inside of them. They are paying for a product and service.

We are going to do this as well.
post #103 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Most people have trouble just connecting their new Blu-ray player or TV to the internet. Once that is complete (99% of the time via WiFi) they complain about Netflix stuttering (due to their WiFi). Each step that we take for granted is a potential trouble spot for these people.

The tutorial better be thorough, simple, and short or your phone will be ringing within 10 minutes of trying to connect their new HTPC. Too bad you aren't going to be able to preinstall the HTPC software.

I have gone back and forth on including the software. I would have to pay for this upfront and would probably still have to provide the same amount of support.
post #104 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You are asking in the wrong forum

Everyone here will DIY and put the $200 elsewhere.

Yes, the support is what will kill you later after the sell. Back in the Pentium 2 and 3 days I used to build PCs for friends and coworkers. I quickly built about twenty of them over a couple years and everyone was pretty much happy after they took it home and plugged it in. Later I became the source of any and all tech support for those systems and any other PC tied to those people. On top of that, spyware started to really become widespread around the same time. I was called upon to fix (format/reinstall) all sorts of issues and walk people through all sorts of other tasks. I got a job at a different company and stopped building PCs for others.

I had a PC build/repair business for 10 years .. by the 10th year, I was past being ready for therapy .. the public can be unreasonable, very demanding and have a real lack of undertstanding .. especially when the warrantee runs out ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #105 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

assassin .. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you make a million doing it ..

I went down that road for 10 long years and was very, very good at it .. I would never consider trying it again .. even though it's been 7 years since I closed up shop and still get calls for a build ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #106 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

assassin .. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you make a million doing it ..

I went down that road for 10 long years and was very, very good at it .. I would never consider trying it again .. even though it's been 7 years since I closed up shop and still get calls for a build ..

Well let's just say this isn't my full time job. I'll be okay financially.

I hear you about the hassle part though. Its not for everyone --- or even most people.
post #107 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
Well let's just say this isn't my full time job. I'll be okay financially.

I hear you about the hassle part though. Its not for everyone --- or even most people.
After about 2 dozen builds, it will become another full time job ..

Uncle Willie

post #108 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
After about 2 dozen builds, it will become another full time job ..
Not for me. I have other partners.

Let's just put it this way --- I will be involved heavily. Just maybe not in the actual builds after the first few.
post #109 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Don't let them crush your dreams, assassin.

I'm sure you will put something up on your website about custom builds and orders. It would be going against your original principle of keep it simple. However, I'm sure you wouldn't turn down a $2-3K customer.
post #110 of 110 Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

Don't let them crush your dreams, assassin.

I'm sure you will put something up on your website about custom builds and orders. It would be going against your original principle of keep it simple. However, I'm sure you wouldn't turn down a $2-3K customer.

No sweat!

I am pretty excited about all of this but I understand and respect a lot of people's reservations and opinions.

And of course I will offer completely custom builds. Want 8TB of storage in your gaming HTPC? No problem. I'm your guy.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page