Panasonic PT-AE500U with HDMI/DVI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a new HT and for the time being I've decided to use my old PJ (Panasonic PT-AE500U) with the new setup. I'll probably end up buying a new projector next year, but only after the lamp on this one dies.

Now, the problem is that I can't can't get the HDMI -> DVI connection to work between the HTPC box and the PJ. I've tried both EDID (1/2) modes on the projector, I've also played with the signal timings on the video card (specs below) and so for I got nothing, but a blank screen

Components:
Custom built HTPC box (Asrock H67M motherboard with HDMI / DVI /VGA out ports)
Windows 7 on HTPC (Latest Intel video drivers)
PS3 Slim
Cablevision Box (haven't tried hooking it up yet)
Denon AVR-791 Receiver
Panasonic PT-AE500U (HDCP compliant)

Cables:
HDMI cables from Monoprice
HDMI (male) -> DVI-D (female) adapter from Monoprice
15ft DVI-D (male - male) cable also from Monoprice

What works?
HTPC -> VGA -> Projector (Analog bypassing the receiver - don't what to use that)
HTPC -> DVI -> Projector - The image had a wrong aspect ratio, but I'm assuming I can get that corrected by manually adjusting output signal properties (Digital bypassing the receiver - don't what to use that)
PS3 -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (works flawlessly!)

What doesn't work?
HTPC -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (Blank screen / no signal)
HTPC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (Blank screen / no signal) (This is what I'm after!)

The fact that PS3 works fine in this setup makes me believe this some sort of HDCP issue. PS3's HDCP compliant signal gets passed through the receiver to the projector without an issue, but the HTPC's signal gets lost somewhere along the way or the projector cannot interpret it properly. So my looooong shot question is - can anyone help me out here?

------------------------
If you think this a projector related issue I'll cross-post this on the projector forum.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.vizmatik View Post

I'm building a new HT and for the time being I've decided to use my old PJ (Panasonic PT-AE500U) with the new setup. I'll probably end up buying a new projector next year, but only after the lamp on this one dies.

Now, the problem is that I can't can't get the HDMI -> DVI connection to work between the HTPC box and the PJ. I've tried both EDID (1/2) modes on the projector, I've also played with the signal timings on the video card (specs below) and so for I got nothing, but a blank screen

Components:
Custom built HTPC box (Asrock H67M motherboard with HDMI / DVI /VGA out ports)
Windows 7 on HTPC (Latest Intel video drivers)
PS3 Slim
Cablevision Box (haven't tried hooking it up yet)
Denon AVR-791 Receiver
Panasonic PT-AE500U (HDCP compliant)

Cables:
HDMI cables from Monoprice
HDMI (male) -> DVI-D (female) adapter from Monoprice
15ft DVI-D (male - male) cable also from Monoprice

What works?
HTPC -> VGA -> Projector (Analog bypassing the receiver - don't what to use that)
HTPC -> DVI -> Projector - The image had a wrong aspect ratio, but I'm assuming I can get that corrected by manually adjusting output signal properties (Digital bypassing the receiver - don't what to use that)
PS3 -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (works flawlessly!)

What doesn't work?
HTPC -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (Blank screen / no signal)
HTPC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI / DVI Adapter -> DVI -> Projector (Blank screen / no signal) (This is what I'm after!)

The fact that PS3 works fine in this setup makes me believe this some sort of HDCP issue. PS3's HDCP compliant signal gets passed through the receiver to the projector without an issue, but the HTPC's signal gets lost somewhere along the way or the projector cannot interpret it properly. So my looooong shot question is - can anyone help me out here?

------------------------
If you think this a projector related issue I'll cross-post this on the projector forum.

Carl

Carl,

I've a very similar set you like you. Panny AE4K, Gigabyte H67/i3 2100 and Onkyo pre-amp.

I have no problem on board HDMI to my pre-amp and on board DVI/HDMI adapter to my AE4K.

To begin, not sure you know that or not, but there is some problems with the lastest Intel HD Diaplay driver. I'm using the older driver 2219. Please refer more info from -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328107

Let me know. Thank you.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll definitely try different drivers. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I'm hoping a current or past ae500 owner could help me out or at least confirm that this setup with this pj is possible and I'm not wasting my time trying to do the impossible.

Carl
post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing. The PS3 works like a charm (plays BDs, games, everything), however when I plug in the mic to the receiver, Denon's Audessy OSD kicks in and the projector goes dark. Switching between the EDID modes causes some kind of infinite loop which flashes the projector OSD. I'm so lost on this, but I think this is most likely projector issue ...
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.vizmatik View Post

One more thing. The PS3 works like a charm (plays BDs, games, everything), however when I plug in the mic to the receiver, Denon's Audessy OSD kicks in and the projector goes dark. Switching between the EDID modes causes some kind of infinite loop which flashes the projector OSD. I'm so lost on this, but I think this is most likely projector issue ...

I don't have that behavior because my AE4K, my 2nd display, connects directly to my MB's DVI port (picture ONLY). But my plasma does have what you described since it carries the main HDMI signal (audio and picture stream).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page