No 5.1 sound with Radeon HD 5450 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So you ARE seeing HDCP: "Supported" on the HDMI Audio Tab of your PC? Until you do you'll not pass any DD or DTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Qaq

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DD and DTS do not require HDCP. These are not HD.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #33 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll give you that DD & DTS are not HD and if he's using a SPDIF connection, then ABSOLUTELY they'll pass. However, HDCP must be verified for HDMI (video) to work and HDMI Audio is a part of that, true?
post #34 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
It appears so.

post #35 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autom8ed View Post

Sorry to dig this out from the dead.. google searches will sometimes do that.. but..

I have nearly the same issue as you do (only difference is windows vista and yamaha receiver) but mine still does not output to anything other than 2ch stereo. I tried both the ATI drivers then the Realtek drivers, uninstalling the failed one before trying the other driver but to no avail. I also made changes to the bios to disable onboard audio.

Strangely, every now and then when I test some of the various supported formats (ie dts, dd) I will hear the test tone. But I can never get it to test at a 5.1 configured speaker setting. What am I doing wrong here? Is there anything else I can try?

I have this happen every once in a while when I use my gaming PC in my home theater. To remedy it, I just unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable. It seems to fix it and my 5.1/7.1 options come back in my sound menu.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #36 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

I switched inputs on the AVR and still have the same issue. Also, would like to add that PCM is lit up on the AVR.
post #37 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

PCM would be lit when you're simply passing system sounds from the PC. All of the multi-channel audio formats like DD, DTS are sent from a DVD or TV-Tuner's s/w via passthrough to the AVR. When you see PCM, what are you playing and what do you expect?
post #38 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM

PCM is on no matter what. Pdvd11 bd discs, virtual copies, ect. I can't get the Dolby light or dts light to show on avr.
post #39 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahhhhh.... so it's Cyberlink's Power-DVD you're using when you expect to have digital sound pass through to your AVR, right? And when you're playing a source that you KNOW has a DD or DTS soundtrack (like a DVD) it's not lighting up your AVR with the proper detection, right?

You have to select passthrough in your player for the player to pass - through the DD and/or DTS digital stream to your SPDIF connection and in your case you want SPDIF to use the HDMI connector, thus HDMI Audio Device. As far as the player configuration, pick your default rendering device and/or SPDIF. Otherwise, the player will decode the digital stream and send 2-channel Pulse-Code Modulated (PCM) stereo out your device -- YES, SPDIF (whether it's sent via optical, coaxial or HDMI) can pass both PCM and Digital Streams, not simultaneously, but based on configuration. That's why the AVR should be set to AUTO-detect. Oh, and do NOT expect your system sounds to light up DD on your AVR -- they are PCM unless your mobo does DolbyLIVE on the fly...
post #40 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Ill check the settings in pdvd11 and report back. So that is the hold it seems is the software? It does the same with tmt3/5 too.
post #41 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM

PCM is still showing up on the AVR no matter what I do. Here some of the setting on the AVR.

post #42 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 AM

Bump!
post #43 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

First off the 1st and 3rd pic are the same one, right? They show you are either sending Multi-Channel PCM to the receiver from your PC (because you have the PC's HDMI Audio configured as something other than 2-ch Stereo) or you have selected this as your Listening Mode according to Page 47 of your Owner's Manual. Page 49 shows you should have Audio TV Out set to OFF. Page 52 shows about altering the receiver from the Auto settings - you want to stay with Auto. And your pic shows: "All Ch Stereo" which (according to the chart on page 37) is an Onkyo-Original DSP Listening Mode - you do NOT want to be processing the audio in this way! Whether this is a setting you can change on the fly or need to configure it (so that when you power on the AVR) I can't say although I suspect it's simply a matter of cycling through the MODE button (Page 33) until it says something like Dolby D (see the chart on page 36)... as long as it's NOT anything on that chart on page 37 'cause they are all DSP modes!

The second shows you have GAME mode ON for your display - page 46 describes Game mode which I can't see why you'd want that ON for playing video. Also, you want to display your PC at the 1080p therefore the O should be set to Through according to page 39 so no video processing takes place.

I don't know if this helps although it certainly shows your AVR is misconfigured for listening to DVDs. Let's focus on that... you're using PowerDVD and the HD5450 -- what is your disc? BR or DVD? What audio do you want to hear? 5.1 or 7.1 formats? How many speakers do you have connected to your AVR? 5.1, 7.1, or more than that? Clearly on post #34 you are SUPPORTED in HDCP but how's your CONFIGURE set on that left-hand image? I can't speak for the 7.1 formats but for 5.1 formats it must be "2-ch stereo" and NOT 5.1 or 7.1 speakers because that says speakers and will decode the stream in the PC and send PCM! (I'd already mentioned this point earlier in this thread.)
post #44 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM

I can get the PCM light to cut off on the AVR when I set everything back to default settings in regards to the audio settings. I then configure it for 5.1 which is what I have (paradigm setup), I test to see what happens when I play a virtual copy of a BD and Physical BD. PCM light kicks on again in TMT3, PDVD3, and TMT5. The GPU is a 5770. I uninstalled the drivers, and did a fresh install with no luck. Even when the PCM light cuts off I can get DTS while the computer is sitting on the background or DPLII. Nothing more. PCM just allows for just a vairety of different multichannel audio setting that are garabage. I can test each individual speaker, all of which fire properly. I don't keep the AVR on all chnl stereo. As of now, the AVR is just in 2.1 (stereo). Thanks all the continued support!

post #45 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM

You may have tried this but are the audio setting right in PDVD? When the BR disc is playing you should select the 3rd drop down menu to access the HD audio. What does PDVD display when you select the information display?
post #46 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM

It wasn't highlighted previously, but after a reinstall, the following options are selected:
Speaker Environment:
Use HDMI
Output Mode:
Non-Decoded def audio to external device.

I now can get DD but no Dice on DTS HD ect...
post #47 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCeMaN57 View Post

It wasn't highlighted previously, but after a reinstall, the following options are selected:
Speaker Environment:
Use HDMI
Output Mode:
Non-Decoded def audio to external device.

I now can get DD but no Dice on DTS HD ect...

There should be 3 options for the output mode but only when the disc is playing. The bottom selection is the one you want for HD audio.
post #48 of 60 Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you read your Onkyo manual closely? Pages 72, 73 & 74 describe HDMI, audio formats and Onkyo's exclusive RIHD for controlling Onkyo and RIHD-Compatible components... do you have RIHD components? You're setting it to On. Is your TV a "smart" TV and uses ARC? Please, if you don't have these then revert to basics.

You say: "...then configure it for 5.1 which is what I have (paradigm setup),..." STOP, please... WHY configure your computer to 5.1? Your SPEAKERS are connected to your Onkyo and NOT to your COMPUTER as the image you posted states! Please pic the Stereo option, not the Quadraphonic, not the 5.1 Surround, not the 7.1 surround and play a physical DVD (e.g. not BR) in PowerDVD that has a DD and/or DTS audio track. That should be a start!

You do know that it's the source material that has manufacturer-specified audio tracks, right? Not all DVDs have DTS, in fact very few have a DTS audio track while the majority have DD. Some even have both while some have several including Director's commentary, foreign language DD tracks, etc.

As far as DTS HD, now you're talking HD audio which is exclusive to BR and again, not all BR discs have all the formats included in the press. You have to pick a track on the disc... so when you say you can't get DTS-HD does that disc have a DTS-Master Audio soundtrack on it? If so then it's either going to clear up once you get bitstreaming configured right, or one of those using PDVD3 can attest to configuring it to pass this... BTW, PDVD3 is like 15-years old... I think you meant PDVD11 as stated way above

And that last pic shows you have NEO:6 Cinema and the Music Optimizer set to On, why? I'm not even sure it would work if you're passing the correct signal... please read page 51 which talks about using it with "lossy" compression, such as MP3 as well as:
Quote:

The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48 kHz and analog audio input signals.

as well as Page 36 which shows it as a matrix from a Stereo source -- perhaps the VCR you have selected in that pic? I'm trying to figure why DTS would be illuminated in that pic!?!
post #49 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing the same problem as OP. I have a HP Proliant N40L (no onboard) with a XFX 5450, with the latest release from AMD. I don't appear to have any options for sound preferences, just AMD Vision Engine Control. I'm connected via a HDMI 1.4v direct to my Panny TV, which in turn it sending the sound via optical to my Panny BD 5.1 theater.

The sound panel only offers the AMD HDMI playback device in stereo. The Panny 5.1 theater rear speakers are very quiet and the centre speaker is off.

The model is HD-545X-ZCH2. On the side of the box it says " HDMI with 7.1 surround sound support (not available on all HD 5450 models). But for the life of me, I can't find anyone stating the sound specification of this specific card.

Thanks for any help

My
post #50 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalething View Post

Hello everyone,
I'm experiencing the same problem as OP. I have a HP Proliant N40L (no onboard) with a XFX 5450, with the latest release from AMD. I don't appear to have any options for sound preferences, just AMD Vision Engine Control. I'm connected via a HDMI 1.4v direct to my Panny TV, which in turn it sending the sound via optical to my Panny BD 5.1 theater.
The sound panel only offers the AMD HDMI playback device in stereo. The Panny 5.1 theater rear speakers are very quiet and the centre speaker is off.
The model is HD-545X-ZCH2. On the side of the box it says " HDMI with 7.1 surround sound support (not available on all HD 5450 models). But for the life of me, I can't find anyone stating the sound specification of this specific card.
Thanks for any help
My

"HDMI x in" in Panny TV supports only stereo LPCM 16 bit / 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz. HD 5450 supports TrueHD/DTS-HD/DD/DTS/AAC bitstreaming and 7.1 LPCM, but the formats actually available are limited by the "sink" (= Panny TV).
post #51 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

"HDMI x in" in Panny TV supports only stereo LPCM 16 bit / 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz. HD 5450 supports TrueHD/DTS-HD/DD/DTS/AAC bitstreaming and 7.1 LPCM, but the formats actually available are limited by the "sink" (= Panny TV).

What kind of limitations are enforced by the Xbox 360 "sink"?

I'm assuming it should be able to do Dolby Digital 5.1, but I don't believe I'm getting 5.1 playback. I hadn't planned to post on this until I could get home and tinker a little bit more tonight, but when this thread bumped up, I thought I'd throw it out there.
post #52 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

This?
post #53 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:

This?

I don't believe that link provides information on "Audio Limitations" for .wtv file types...?
post #54 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

HDMI an interface for transmitting "uncompressed" video/audio (audio can be also compressed) signals from a "source" (HTPC, STB, BD player, gaming console etc.) to a "sink" (display, projector, AV receiver [it also acts as a source] etc.). Video/audio signals supported over HDMI are:

- Video: Uncompressed RGB, YCbCr (4:2:0 is not supported), xvYCC.
- Audio: Uncompressed multichannel audio (LPCM) and compressed audio streams such as DD, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, AAC

Xbox 360 is not a "sink" but a "source". It decodes a compressed video/audio stream and transmit it over HDMI to a sink device.
post #55 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

HDMI an interface for transmitting "uncompressed" video/audio (audio can be also compressed) signals from a "source" (HTPC, STB, BD player, gaming console etc.) to a "sink" (display, projector, AV receiver [it also acts as a source] etc.). Video/audio signals supported over HDMI are:
- Video: Uncompressed RGB, YCbCr (4:2:0 is not supported), xvYCC.
- Audio: Uncompressed multichannel audio (LPCM) and compressed audio streams such as DD, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, AAC
Xbox 360 is not a "sink" but a "source". It decodes a compressed video/audio stream and transmit it over HDMI to a sink device.

Ok, so I guess I misunderstood/misused terminology.

That said, your link indicates that the Xbox 360 has various limits on various audio file types it's being sent. For example, under AVI support, it can do 2-channel or 5.1-channel Dolby Digital.

I record .wtv files, not AVI files. Are there any limitations on this file type? I earlier this week that while switching back and forth on my Harmony between my Cable Set Top Box and my Xbox 360 Extender (which both happened to be tuned to the same channel) the surround-sound rear speakers were very present with my Cable Box but not my XBox. At the time, I had my 4-month son in my hands and it was late at night. I haven't had time yet to really investigate, but I have a feeling my XBox360-through-WMC is pumping out 2.0, even though the show is being broadcast in 5.1 and I have 5.1-capable equipment. Have you (or anyone else) noticed this as well?

I believe (but will test and confirm this weekend) that my Xbox 360 puts out 5.1 when I'm playing a 5.1-capable game... I think the Netflix app on my 360 is doing 5.1 as well.
post #56 of 60 Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Yes, your absolutely right. Nailed it.
I was just looking in Apollo2000 at a new Panny TV, but dismissed it along with the rest of my wishlist.

My options now are either the Asus Xonar DGX, low profile PCIe x1 card, or a USB sound card. But I really don't fancy the quality of a USB dongle sound card, even if it is only supplying a Panny BD surround!

Thanks for your help. Really, really appreciated.
post #57 of 60 Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Today I bought a new tv, the TX-42ST50B Panasonic Plasma. (Needless to say, its pointless discussing which TV i should have bought.)
I understand that this TV also is limited to 48kHz sampling. So I turned to my Panasonic SC-BT330 5.1 Blu-Ray player for support.

Am I right in thinking this also only supports 48kHz too? The manual states its capable of DTS 7.1 BD video, but in in the rear specification section it says,

"TERMINAL SECTION:
Digital Audio Input: Optical: x2,
Sampling frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz,
Audio Format: PCM, Dolby Digital"

Thanks for your wisdom. smile.gif
post #58 of 60 Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

The main unit (= BD player + AVR) of SC-BT330 supports only S/PDIF audio input as an AVR, and yes, it is limited to DVD audio quality (stereo 32/44.1/48kHz PCM and Dolby Digital). It does not support HDMI audio input.

The main unit can output TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming as a BD player to another AVR via HDMI if the AVR supports these formats.
post #59 of 60 Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:

The main unit can output TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming as a BD player to another AVR via HDMI if the AVR supports these formats.

Thank you for the confirmation. Thats quite frustrating. All of my own making, however having just bought a new TV and [just before last nights observation] a graphics card to allow me to output optical to the BD player, I'm now faced by another issue. I just bought a quality optical cable, only to realise I most likely don't need it.

I'm looking at the budget Onkyo TXSR313/TXNR414 AVR. At your best guess, would this AVR give me 5.1 96/24 from the TV, when the source is a 5.1 96/24 graphics card? The TV supports ARC, but does ARC support 5.1 96/24? smile.gif

I only upgraded my Media Server last week on a whim. Now I find myself upgrading all my tech out of requirement *huff*
post #60 of 60 Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

PC graphics card -> video/audio over HDMI -> TV -> audio over optical cable -> AVR

is a wrong configuration. Whatever the audio source is in PC, the graphics card can output only the formats TV supports, that is stereo 16 bit / 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz PCM.

PC graphics card -> video/audio over HDMI -> AVR -> video over HDMI -> TV

is the correct one, where PC graphics card can send all DVD/BD audio formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD etc.) to AVR.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page