what do you guys use to rip HDDVD's to mkv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried dvdfab, dosnt work. Tried handbrake, dosnt work(or at least I think they don't)Tried makemkv, it looks like its going to work but it hasn't on the 4 I've tried. It let's me select everything and starts to rip it for a few minutes but I always get an error. I've read a few things that says it dosnt work and then I read somthing about the newer version(from 2009 I think) worked.

I really like dvd fab, handbrake and makemkv. Their straight forward and simple and have an easy to follow GUI. I would like somthing like that for hddvds. I need somthing to rip 1:1 MKV's and maybe to shrink some and I also need them to be able to capture the hd audio. Decrypt on the fly would be nice also like dvdfab and makemkv.

I downloaded clownDB but there was so much software in there I kind of got scared. I tried installing it and was having problems anyway. Any ideas that meet the criteria or come close to?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shark007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
1st, you need to take care of decrypting the HD-DVD with something like AnyDVD.
Next, copy the EVO file from the disk to your harddrive.
Then use Metafox (available on my tools page) to convert it to MKV.

Metafox is a very simple to use tool. Drag n drop almost any media file to its desktop icon, it automatically writes a MKV to the originating folder using the untouched contents (audio/video/subtitles) from the original container.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Shark007 is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
checklst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow....I just ripped(first time rip for me) the BD "Dinner for Schmucks" with MakeMKV..... it gave me a 35GB MKV container folder and used Handbrake to size it down to 12GB MKV h264 file size. The quality is outstanding vers the full BD on the disk/player.

Must be some fault in you system(PC) if you are having that much trouble. Might be better software out their these are just the first 2 I have tried.

My system is a AMD 5600 duel core, 4gb DDR2 ram on an XPC cube computer.........Handbreak was sloooooooooooow on this vary low line system, it took HB about 16 hours to do a double pass conversion...and 4hours for the MakeMKV ripp. 20 hours total...

Good Luck
checklst is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have AnyDvdHD Clown is the way, for me anyway. T2 HDDVD to BD with FULL DTS HD MA, about an hour.

OOPs, forgot about MKV. nm

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by checklst View Post

Wow....I just ripped(first time rip for me) the BD "Dinner for Schmucks" with MakeMKV..... it gave me a 35GB MKV container folder and used Handbrake to size it down to 12GB MKV h264 file size. The quality is outstanding vers the full BD on the disk/player.

Must be some fault in you system(PC) if you are having that much trouble. Might be better software out their these are just the first 2 I have tried.

My system is a AMD 5600 duel core, 4gb DDR2 ram on an XPC cube computer.........Handbreak was sloooooooooooow on this vary low line system, it took HB about 16 hours to do a double pass conversion...and 4hours for the MakeMKV ripp. 20 hours total...

Good Luck

Like I said I really like dvd fab, make mkv and handbrake, just not for HDDVD's.

It already looks like theres a couple good ideas here though, I was hoping there was a one stop shop like makemkv for hddvd's, anybody?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

1st, you need to take care of decrypting the HD-DVD with something like AnyDVD.
Next, copy the EVO file from the disk to your harddrive.
Then use Metafox (available on my tools page) to convert it to MKV.

Metafox is a very simple to use tool. Drag n drop almost any media file to its desktop icon, it automatically writes a MKV to the originating folder using the untouched contents (audio/video/subtitles) from the original container.

You have some good ideas I'm defiantly going to try.People always say "use somthing like anydvd to run in the background to decrypt". But anydvd costs money. Do you know of any freeware that's "somthing like anydvd", that would work?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hirent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In my imagination!
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post
You have some good ideas I'm defiantly going to try.People always say "use somthing like anydvd to run in the background to decrypt". But anydvd costs money. Do you know of any freeware that's "somthing like anydvd", that would work?
Well, AnyDVD does have an unrestricted free trial for 15 days.
Plan your rips and get it done in 15 days.
hirent is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent

Well, AnyDVD does have an unrestricted free trial for 15 days.
Plan your rips and get it done in 15 days.
I could do that. I just think its interesting people say "use somthing like anydvd" I wonder if there is anything besides anydvd that could be used, decrypt in the background.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

I could do that. I just think its interesting people say "use somthing like anydvd" I wonder if there is anything besides anydvd that could be used, decrypt in the background.

MakeMKV has encryption built in, but it is only good for 30 days I believe. After that it will be $50. I have ripped many HD DVD's with it, should work fine. Although you will get a separate MKV file for each title.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


MakeMKV has encryption built in, but it is only good for 30 days I believe. After that it will be $50. I have ripped many HD DVD's with it, should work fine. Although you will get a separate MKV file for each title.

Yeah thats what I use for my blurays but I tried with 5 hddvds and it wouldn't work. What version did you use?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Yeah thats what I use for my blurays but I tried with 5 hddvds and it wouldn't work. What version did you use?

Interesting. I will try again when I get home today. I believe it is version 1.6 or 1.7. I will try again, maybe I am mistaken because I also own AnyDVDHD. What is the issue you are having. I just did I am Legend HD DVD a few days ago and I am pretty sure I disabled AnyDVDHD as it told me to.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


Interesting. I will try again when I get home today. I believe it is version 1.6 or 1.7. I will try again, maybe I am mistaken because I also own AnyDVDHD. What is the issue you are having. I just did I am Legend HD DVD a few days ago and I am pretty sure I disabled AnyDVDHD as it told me to.

I know anydvdhd works. I want to get that but cost a fee bucks. I think if there is a trial period I'm going to give it a shot.

Whenever I try with makemkv it starts out fine like with a BLURAY and then a few minutes into it I get an error. Every time.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

I know anydvdhd works. I want to get that but cost a fee bucks. I think if there is a trial period I'm going to give it a shot.

Whenever I try with makemkv it starts out fine like with a BLURAY and then a few minutes into it I get an error. Every time.

I don't have that issue. I will recheck when I get home. Also I started a thread a few days ago http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1329327 and in there I used this software called multiAVCHD to wrap all my titles into one file with menus. Might be worth looking at if you plan to do full disk rips and encode. My objective has been to convert all my HD DVD's to BR and burn to BD-25. There were a few that the movie only was over the size of a BD-25. I figure by converting them I am future proofing for when my HD DVD drive finally fails.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
ABSiNTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sin City
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post

I don't have that issue. I will recheck when I get home. Also I started a thread a few days ago http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1329327 and in there I used this software called multiAVCHD to wrap all my titles into one file with menus. Might be worth looking at if you plan to do full disk rips and encode. My objective has been to convert all my HD DVD's to BR and burn to BD-25. There were a few that the movie only was over the size of a BD-25. I figure by converting them I am future proofing for when my HD DVD drive finally fails.

I may look into this since I have been using MakeMKV to rip my backups. However, as someone else has stated, multiple title MKVs are created. So to workaround this (if having the multiple title MKVs were required to have the whole movie), I have been using MKVtoolnix > mkvmerge to put them together. Your solution seems as if it could be simpler, or at least offer some more tweaking/custom options, so I will check it out. I do not convert my HDDVDs to BD though as I stream everything off of my 16TB media server in MKV format. I have not experienced any playback/ripping issues yet that were not correctable by staying current with the latest version of MakeMKV (currently backing up my HDDVD library to MKV right now too). Anyway, I know MakeMKV costs $50, but it is by far the best $50 I have ever spent hands down...Makes backing up my movie library effortless.

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
ABSiNTH is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

I may look into this since I have been using MakeMKV to rip my backups. However, as someone else has stated, multiple title MKVs are created. So to workaround this (if having the multiple title MKVs were required to have the whole movie), I have been using MKVtoolnix > mkvmerge to put them together. Your solution seems as if it could be simpler, or at least offer some more tweaking/custom options, so I will check it out. I do not convert my HDDVDs to BD though as I stream everything off of my 16TB media server in MKV format. I have not experienced any playback/ripping issues yet that were not correctable by staying current with the latest version of MakeMKV (currently backing up my HDDVD library to MKV right now too). Anyway, I know MakeMKV costs $50, but it is by far the best $50 I have ever spent hands down...Makes backing up my movie library effortless.

How do you use Mkvmerge to put them together. Do you append? That has been the issue I have is how do you put together multiple titles? The multiAVCHD is pretty cool as it is all in one and will even encode if you need to, but it is more time consuming then your way, I think. Although I have not compared them side by side. Plus not sure if multiAVCHD outputs to MKV or not. Since I am burning to disk I need the BR structure to ensure support across the board for all players.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ABSiNTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sin City
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Exactly. Put the first title as main and then append the next one and so on and so forth. It works really well....Seamlessly.

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
ABSiNTH is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Member
 
cyclejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been using makemkv with great success, (all my HD DVDs ripped fine) however I am a little unsure on how to playback the files AND get HD audio such as True HD. I tried using WMP, VLC, and MPC-HC, but unless I am missing something, I dont see a way to choose the highest quality audio track. In WMP I do have the option to choose multiple tracks and using the Perfect Storm HD DVD which has True HD audio as an example, I can pick any audio track and all work except one that when I choose it, it freezes playback which only resumes if I pick any other track.... but all the various commentary tracks work for example. I am using an Intel G45 HTPC connected via HDMI to an Onkyo SR606 receiver. Any help?

cyclejim is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

Ive been using makemkv with great success, (all my HD DVDs ripped fine) however I am a little unsure on how to playback the files AND get HD audio such as True HD. I tried using WMP, VLC, and MPC-HC, but unless I am missing something, I dont see a way to choose the highest quality audio track. In WMP I do have the option to choose multiple tracks and using the Perfect Storm HD DVD which has True HD audio as an example, I can pick any audio track and all work except one that when I choose it, it freezes playback which only resumes if I pick any other track.... but all the various commentary tracks work for example. I am using an Intel G45 HTPC connected via HDMI to an Onkyo SR606 receiver. Any help?


To pick from the audio files and subtitles in makemkv click on the little karrots/triangles next to the titles/files.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

Ive been using makemkv with great success, (all my HD DVDs ripped fine) however I am a little unsure on how to playback the files AND get HD audio such as True HD. I tried using WMP, VLC, and MPC-HC, but unless I am missing something, I dont see a way to choose the highest quality audio track. In WMP I do have the option to choose multiple tracks and using the Perfect Storm HD DVD which has True HD audio as an example, I can pick any audio track and all work except one that when I choose it, it freezes playback which only resumes if I pick any other track.... but all the various commentary tracks work for example. I am using an Intel G45 HTPC connected via HDMI to an Onkyo SR606 receiver. Any help?


I don't think G45 bitstreams but should decode to LPCM, I think. If not you will need a software player like TMT or PDVD. Also ffdsow might work as it is able to decode TrueHD, but not DTSHD. Best bet is to try a trial of TMT and see if that makes it work. Of course that is the expensive route if you purchase it after the trial. Or if the Onkyo has analog you could go that route from the board and use HDMI for video only. Then refer to the various threads here that explain analog HD audio setup.

Edit: I am not paying attention here. You are using MKV therefore commercial players will not support chapters and stuff like that. So I think you need to go the analog route to get full HD audio. Hopefully someone with more experience with G45 can chime in.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


I don't think G45 bitstreams but should decode to LPCM, I think. If not you will need a software player like TMT or PDVD. Also ffdsow might work as it is able to decode TrueHD, but not DTSHD. Best bet is to try a trial of TMT and see if that makes it work. Of course that is the expensive route if you purchase it after the trial. Or if the Onkyo has analog you could go that route from the board and use HDMI for video only. Then refer to the various threads here that explain analog HD audio setup.

Ffdshow w/ mpchc does bitstream dts hd.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Member
 
cyclejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Ffdshow w/ mpchc does bitstream dts hd.

Let me give that a shot
cyclejim is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


Interesting. I will try again when I get home today. I believe it is version 1.6 or 1.7. I will try again, maybe I am mistaken because I also own AnyDVDHD. What is the issue you are having. I just did I am Legend HD DVD a few days ago and I am pretty sure I disabled AnyDVDHD as it told me to.

Makemkv is working for hddvds now!!! I dont get people. Some people try to explain how to rip and they go use 2-5 programs, encode, transcodime, mux, reencode, all to end up with an mkv. I'm exaggerating a little, but not much. Why do some people do this when all you need to do is make an 1:1 mkv. I understand if you want to compress it, that's one extra step. You might want to add the title and extras too but some people just seem to go through way too many unnecessary steps.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Makemkv is working for hddvds now!!! I dont get people. Some people try to explain how to rip and they go use 2-5 programs, encode, transcodime, mux, reencode, all to end up with an mkv. I'm exaggerating a little, but not much. Why do some people do this when all you need to do is make an 1:1 mkv. I understand if you want to compress it, that's one extra step. You might want to add the title and extras too but some people just seem to go through way too many unnecessary steps.

MakeMKV is great but it is $50 and if you already bought AnyDVDHD then spending another $50 is senseless when Another Eac3to Gui is a one step process just as MakeMKV. MakeMKV is by far the fastest MKV maker that I have seen but again it's the money. In my opinion it is a little pricey and not as well supported as AnyDVDHD, which is by far one of the best pieces of software ever created. So I use both but use MakeMKV for primarily DVD's. If MakeMKV had a donation deal I would throw a little their way for my use of their product. You are right though it is a good piece of software. If you have a high powered machine the encoding process is not so time consuming. I only encode if I am burning to disk and need to fit it on a BD-25.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


MakeMKV is great but it is $50 and if you already bought AnyDVDHD then spending another $50 is senseless when Another Eac3to Gui is a one step process just as MakeMKV. MakeMKV is by far the fastest MKV maker that I have seen but again it's the money. In my opinion it is a little pricey and not as well supported as AnyDVDHD, which is by far one of the best pieces of software ever created. So I use both but use MakeMKV for primarily DVD's. If MakeMKV had a donation deal I would throw a little their way for my use of their product. You are right though it is a good piece of software. If you have a high powered machine the encoding process is not so time consuming. I only encode if I am burning to disk and need to fit it on a BD-25.

Im on 3 trial bases right now, tmt5, makemkv, and anydvdhd. I think I'm going to go with tmt5 for my BLURAY and hddvd disc playback and makemkv for my hddvd and BLURAY to mkvs. I don't know about anydvdhd, I've transferred 2 movies with it but I don't find it as easy as makemkv. I don't know if I'm doing somthing wrong or what. When I open up the program it gives all the settings and options to mess with, wich I set, then I POP in a disc wich it scans. I then press ok and then it closes? I go to the task bar and right click on it and it only gives me a couple options to choose from. I can't find any options for mkv title/audio/video options or any of the choices on how to encode it. It just rips it to an ISO or m2ts or somthing. Am I missing somthing? How do I choose mkv and get to more encoding options?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Im on 3 trial bases right now, tmt5, makemkv, and anydvdhd. I think I'm going to go with tmt5 for my BLURAY and hddvd disc playback and makemkv for my hddvd and BLURAY to mkvs. I don't know about anydvdhd, I've transferred 2 movies with it but I don't find it as easy as makemkv. I don't know if I'm doing somthing wrong or what. When I open up the program it gives all the settings and options to mess with, wich I set, then I POP in a disc wich it scans. I then press ok and then it closes? I go to the task bar and right click on it and it only gives me a couple options to choose from. I can't find any options for mkv title/audio/video options or any of the choices on how to encode it. It just rips it to an ISO or m2ts or somthing. Am I missing somthing? How do I choose mkv and get to more encoding options?

Yes AnyDVDHD rips to ISO and has no ability to rip to MKV. That is where Another Eac3to Gui comes in. It works like MakeMKV just not quite as fast but give more options. MakeMKV works great but has few options in the way it creates MKV files. Again it is a great and very efficient program that works wonderfully. It's just if you spent $100 on anydvdhd to use it for the purpose of decrypting any disk you throw at it, spending another $50 for MakeMKV is slightly unattractive. If you like what MakeMKV is doing for you stick with it, it is a great and fast program. If it ever loses support then maybe think about the other options. Refer to here for info. on the other option http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


Yes AnyDVDHD rips to ISO and has no ability to rip to MKV. That is where Another Eac3to Gui comes in. It works like MakeMKV just not quite as fast but give more options. MakeMKV works great but has few options in the way it creates MKV files. Again it is a great and very efficient program that works wonderfully. It's just if you spent $100 on anydvdhd to use it for the purpose of decrypting any disk you throw at it, spending another $50 for MakeMKV is slightly unattractive. If you like what MakeMKV is doing for you stick with it, it is a great and fast program. If it ever loses support then maybe think about the other options. Refer to here for info. on the other option http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

Yeah, I didn't buy anydvdhd I was just using the free trial. I'm going to stick with makemkv. Is ISO all anydvdhd does? How do you get into the options(not the ones you set when you open the program, but any others)

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Yeah, I didn't buy anydvdhd I was just using the free trial. I'm going to stick with makemkv. Is ISO all anydvdhd does? How do you get into the options(not the ones you set when you open the program, but any others)

No it can rip to BR, HD DVD, or DVD structure as well. It just does not rip to MKV or any of the other popular container formats. It sticks with the original file structure.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


No it can rip to BR, HD DVD, or DVD structure as well. It just does not rip to MKV or any of the other popular container formats. It sticks with the original file structure.

What's the best way to to extract just the movie file after anydvdhd rips all the original files. Do I then put it in a container or what? I'm trying to play it with either the native xbmc player or with mpc-HC to bitstream.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotrodbob1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

What's the best way to to extract just the movie file after anydvdhd rips all the original files. Do I then put it in a container or what? I'm trying to play it with either the native xbmc player or with mpc-HC to bitstream.

I use Media Browser and MPC HC to bitstream. I also rip all my stuff to MKV, it really is the best format for container IMO. So your MakeMKV solution is a great way to do it. Just select the main movie only and associated audio tracks that you want. Of course you will need ffdshow to perform the bitstreaming function. Go here to read up about how to set it up http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/. If you want to use Another Eac3to Gui then go to my post above and follow those instructions. Honestly though if you are good to go with MakeMKV, it works too. If your like me and love to play around with stuff you can give the other way a try just so you know how to make it work too.
hotrodbob1976 is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post


I use Media Browser and MPC HC to bitstream. I also rip all my stuff to MKV, it really is the best format for container IMO. So your MakeMKV solution is a great way to do it. Just select the main movie only and associated audio tracks that you want. Of course you will need ffdshow to perform the bitstreaming function. Go here to read up about how to set it up http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/. If you want to use Another Eac3to Gui then go to my post above and follow those instructions. Honestly though if you are good to go with MakeMKV, it works too. If your like me and love to play around with stuff you can give the other way a try just so you know how to make it work too.

I know, I like makemkv and plan to stick with it for the most part but I have a few hddvds that won't work with it. That's why I was wondering how to do it with anyhdvdhd. Once I rip it as an ISO what do I do to just take the main movie, subtitles, and hd audio and put them together in a format that will play with mpc-hc and or xbmc player. I already know how to bitstream with mpc and ffdshow. I'm just unsure what to do with the hddvds that I can't use makemkv or dvdfab to rip.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off