How to use a Logitech Harmony One with an HTPC - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Microsoft USB IR receiver off ebay and mapped all the keys to my Harmony One. The only problem I have now is the lag on the buttons. It seems there is a slight delay from pressing the remote buttons to the response in XBMC. I didn't have this problem with my Dinovo mini edge.

Is there a solution for this or is it a side-effect of all USB IR receivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's a setting for the device under the logitech software. Go to your HTPC device and select settings then select adjust the delays. I changed inter-key, input and inter-device to 100 ms.
post #33 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

This is pretty interesting. I didn't know it was even possible. What is your experience with this option?

I have this set up on my Harmony. Works great! I followed this guide. Has a little more detail than that forum post and covers the mappings for Left and Right click, which I'd say is pretty important unless you just like moving the mouse pointer around the screen.
post #34 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

You need an IR receiver. I use the one included with the Adesso ARC-1100 remote and it works perfectly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-095-_-Product

When you are configuring the Logitech remote using the software, be sure to select Adesso ARC-1000 for your HTPC device, not Microsoft Media Center Remote.

Can you control the cursor using the Harmony?
post #35 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I have the Harmony 880 and have the Rosewill 126 remote with the USB dongle....what's the proper device to look under the Logitech when setting it up?
post #36 of 58 Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

It sounds like the Rosewill is still the best IR dongle to use for the One. Is that still the consensus? I am getting ready to order one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The Logitech software has now way of knowing what IR receiver is installed.

The proper way to input the 2nd edition is:

Device type: Computer -> Media Center PC
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: Windows Media Center SE

Pulled from here.

Either way, a typical USB IR receiver will NOT turn your PC on from a powered off state. However, it can be used to wake it from S3 sleep. I leave mine on 24/7 so none of that is a concern for me.

This one will, but I agree it is not exactly like typical USB IR's. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999191
post #37 of 58 Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

It's a setting for the device under the logitech software. Go to your HTPC device and select settings then select adjust the delays. I changed inter-key, input and inter-device to 100 ms.

Thanks but I tried that and it's still laggy :S

I'm using the model "MCE Keyboard" in the harmony software. I also tried the other models and they have the same problem.
post #38 of 58 Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It might be your ir receiver then with a built in delay you can't change.
post #39 of 58 Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

It might be your ir receiver then with a built in delay you can't change.

My Harmony one remote has this same lag issue. I have other MC remotes that work just fine. I've come to live with it but if I can fix it I would live to. Ive been through all the delay settings and none seemed to help. Any other ideas?

I also have my remote set to power up from sleep and that works fine for me.
post #40 of 58 Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It my have to do with the Harmony key repeat setting.

Go to troubleshooting for the HTPC device (not the activity) and select that it "responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally".

Start with a setting of 0 and see if that helps. Increase it if not. I think the default is 3.

post #41 of 58 Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Can you control the cursor using the Harmony?

I'm not sure if that functionality works with the Adesso receiver.

I tried changing my Logitech device configuration from the Adesso receiver, to Microsoft-->Windows Media Center Second Edition (as suggested in this thread) and the Adesso receiver does not detect any of the IR signals.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #42 of 58 Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Liked: 12
I just got the HP receiver to replace the Adesso ARC-1100 receiver. With the Adesso receiver when inside the Windows Media Center Guide, I could hold the right arrow and it would continuously scroll through the day then change through the days (morning/midday/evening). Now with the HP receiver its not working. I press and hold the right arrow and the light on the HP remote as well as Harmony One are blinking, but only the initial press scrolls right once.. Is there a way to fix this? It would take forever to scroll days ahead one click at a time.
post #43 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

I just got the HP receiver to replace the Adesso ARC-1100 receiver. With the Adesso receiver when inside the Windows Media Center Guide, I could hold the right arrow and it would continuously scroll through the day then change through the days (morning/midday/evening). Now with the HP receiver its not working. I press and hold the right arrow and the light on the HP remote as well as Harmony One are blinking, but only the initial press scrolls right once.. Is there a way to fix this? It would take forever to scroll days ahead one click at a time.

What device profile are you using for the remote on the Harmony? What do you have the key repeats set to? Whatever it is try increasing or decreasing the key repeat value until it works.

post #44 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:

What device profile are you using for the remote on the Harmony? What do you have the key repeats set to? Whatever it is try increasing or decreasing the key repeat value until it works.

I'm using Windows Media Center SE as the profile in the logitech software. Is the key repeat setting where you select troubleshoot and then select "Media Center PC responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally" then choose form 0 to 5? If so, I have tried all settings and nothing works.. The issue is it doesnt repeat at all, it just goes right one time from the initial press of the button and stops if you hold it in or not. I actually got the HP remote with the receiver and even the HP remote doesn't scroll when holding the right arrow even though the light on the remote keeps blinking while I have the button held down.
post #45 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

I'm using Windows Media Center SE as the profile in the logitech software. Is the key repeat setting where you select troubleshoot and then select "Media Center PC responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally" then choose form 0 to 5? If so, I have tried all settings and nothing works.. The issue is it doesnt repeat at all, it just goes right one time from the initial press of the button and stops if you hold it in or not. I actually got the HP remote with the receiver and even the HP remote doesn't scroll when holding the right arrow even though the light on the remote keeps blinking while I have the button held down.

Yes, that's the setting I was talking about. Not sure what the problem is... I no longer have a Harmony or HP receiver. When I did have both I used EventGhost and it allowed for repeating.

post #46 of 58 Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's the setting I was talking about. Not sure what the problem is... I no longer have a Harmony or HP receiver. When I did have both I used EventGhost and it allowed for repeating.

Well thanks anyway. I ended up just using BOTH IR receivers and added the Adesso ARC-1100 to my Activity set to always powered on. Then I customized the buttons for my activity so the directional arrows are controlled by the Adesso instead of the HP receiver. I have plenty of USB ports so using two for IR receivers won't hurt.
post #47 of 58 Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I set up my Harmony 880 successfully with WMC using the profile that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

My question is, while I got most of the functions working fine, the only one I was wondering was how to start WMC from the remote in lack of the green button. I am not sure if the Power button will do the job or not.
post #48 of 58 Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I set up my Harmony 880 successfully with WMC using the profile that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

My question is, while I got most of the functions working fine, the only one I was wondering was how to start WMC from the remote in lack of the green button. I am not sure if the Power button will do the job or not.

I think it is labeled Start in the button configuration.

post #49 of 58 Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

You can select the start up page for an activity to be Media Center. Also using customize a device you can set any key to "Media". Then pressing that key will take you to "Media Center" start page.
post #50 of 58 Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

You need an IR receiver. I use the one included with the Adesso ARC-1100 remote and it works perfectly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-095-_-Product

When you are configuring the Logitech remote using the software, be sure to select Adesso ARC-1000 for your HTPC device, not Microsoft Media Center Remote.

I am trying to set up my harmony with the Adesso ARC-1100 receiver but nothing is working. I did as suggested here selecting the ARC-1100 as the HTPC device but nothing.

Any suggestions?
post #51 of 58 Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Try selecting Ortek VRC-1100 instead. Failing that, learn the commands from the remote.

Did the driver load in device manager? Does the original remote work with the dongle?
post #52 of 58 Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Try selecting Ortek VRC-1100 instead. Failing that, learn the commands from the remote.
Did the driver load in device manager? Does the original remote work with the dongle?

Yea, the original adesso works great.... I'l.l try setting it up as ortek tomorrow
post #53 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgftp View Post

Yea, the original adesso works great.... I'l.l try setting it up as ortek tomorrow

Still nothing... when I go into customize buttons I dont even get options such as mouse direction or windows media center which are clearly buttons on the Adesso remote. If other people have had an easy set-up with this I must be doing something wrong but I can't see what that would be.

Guess if there are no other suggestions I can go ahead and try to teach it commands, certainly not something I want to spend time doing but it might be the only way. And with further testing is does seem like there is some functionality with the Harmony once I open up WMC with the Adesso remote.
post #54 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM

Does anyone know how to stop the harmony one from automatically launching an activity within the media center when you turn everything on? I had this disabled on my old remote but I cant figure out on this one..

Whenever I power everything on via my activity it launcheds live TV which usually screws up everything and launches media center at 1080i rather than 1080p ..

I just want to power everything on and not launch media center (I usually just launch media center by pressing the guide button), I like it to be at the desktop as I find this causes less isues upon turn on.
post #55 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgftp View Post

Still nothing...
Hmm... I just added it to my account again, and everything is there except the mouse control (16-direction pad is impractical on harmony anyway), and everything works fine. The Windows Media Center button is called Start.

I also added the Adesso version and it appears to be about the same.

You can learn the basic mouse commands but they are hard to get right because of the pad. That's probably why they aren't in there. Nobody could get them right.

When you say "nothing" works do you really mean that, or are just the mouse controls missing?

What model harmony do you have? Maybe different models get different versions of these devices.

BTW, if you are interested in the nitty gritty technical details of the mouse signals, check out my thread in the JP1 forums.
post #56 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshster View Post

Does anyone know how to stop the harmony one from automatically launching an activity within the media center when you turn everything on? I had this disabled on my old remote but I cant figure out on this one..
Whenever I power everything on via my activity it launcheds live TV which usually screws up everything and launches media center at 1080i rather than 1080p ..
I just want to power everything on and not launch media center (I usually just launch media center by pressing the guide button), I like it to be at the desktop as I find this causes less isues upon turn on.
Are you sure you don't have media center itself set to auto-start (nothing to do with the remote)?
post #57 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Positive, The media center is set to always on, I never turn it off. When I turn on my activity it turns on the TV and AVR only.
post #58 of 58 Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Hmm... I just added it to my account again, and everything is there except the mouse control (16-direction pad is impractical on harmony anyway), and everything works fine. The Windows Media Center button is called Start.
I also added the Adesso version and it appears to be about the same.
You can learn the basic mouse commands but they are hard to get right because of the pad. That's probably why they aren't in there. Nobody could get them right.
When you say "nothing" works do you really mean that, or are just the mouse controls missing?
What model harmony do you have? Maybe different models get different versions of these devices.
BTW, if you are interested in the nitty gritty technical details of the mouse signals, check out my thread in the JP1 forums.

I wish I thought to check for responses before sitting down with this again.

Knowing that what I was calling the Media Center button is called Start made all the difference. I realized once I got into Media Center my Harmony was for the most part functional. So once I figured out "Start" is what I needed to get everything going I was all set. Like I said, I wish I was smart enough to check for a reply before giving myself a headache but thank you very much for the reply.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page