Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It took some prodding, but since someone has to do it

Welcome to the *Official* PowerDVD 11 Ultra thread.

According to CyberLink:

PowerDVD 11 is the ultimate universal media player that extends your viewing experience beyond just movies on PCs. Play any media format from any device at home or on social networks, at enhanced HD and 3D quality, all with PowerDVD 11.

Play Any Media – movies, videos, photos & music

- Ultimate Blu-ray player and Blu-ray 3D movie experience with support for CPU/GPU hardware acceleration for superb playback quality.
- Ultra-fast Instant Seek to search for the movie scene you want to watch on your DVDs.
- Vast Video format support lets you play almost every video file, including MKV (H.264), FLV (H.264), WTV, 3GP and 3G2 files.
- Play Photos in Slideshows. You can enjoy photos stored on your PC, smart device or DLNA server, or from Facebook and Flickr.
- Best Music Player that organizes and plays your music collection from your Windows 7 music library.

Upgrade Your Media Experience with TrueTheater®

- Enhance Quality of ALL Your Media. Whether it’s a video on your PC, from your network devices or from Youtube, PowerDVD 11 upscales to HD–like quality for ultimate enjoyment.
- Play 2D content in 3D. Apply Truetheater 3D to your DVDs, videos and photos. Relive your content with realism and depth.
- Perfect home videos. Stabilize shaky videos, remove noise and enhance brightness and details, PowerDVD 11 makes your videos look great.

Enjoy PowerDVD with Your Smart Devices

New smart device app, PowerDVD Remote*, offers even more ways for you to enjoy your digital entertainment.

- Turn smart devices to Remote Control for your PowerDVD 11 Blu-ray player, DVD movies, videos, music and photos with a tap of your finger.
- Play Media from Devices to PowerDVD. With PowerDVD Remote you can easily watch and save all of your media from phone to PC wirelessly through the home network.
- Support for Apple & Android Devices. Supports the Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, along with Android-based phones and tablets.

Your Social Media Hub – for Youtube, Facebook and Flickr

- Watch videos from Youtube – Easily access your videos, favorites, subscribers and movie trailers on YouTube. Upload your videos directly from PowerDVD.
- Access photos from Facebook and Flickr – View your own photos or friends' photos in animated slideshows. Comment on photos and download to your desktop.
- Get movie info from MoovieLive – Access information of the movie you are watching, rate and review movies and collect your favorites.

PowerDVD To-Go - enjoy your Media wherever you go

- Companion software MediaEspresso lets you convert and transfer your media from PCs to portables.
- Smart Detect & Direct Sync. MediaEspresso automatically selects the right format for your smart phones, game consoles and other media players.
- Ultra Fast Media Conversion. Support for leading CPU/GPU hardware acceleration means transferring hours of videos can be done in much less time.

Product Page.

Reviews:

MissingRemote.com

SoftwareCrew.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Improvements:

- Having had some more time with PDVD11 my take is that it fixes some issues introduced in the last PDVD10 patch (i.e. AnyDVD and Virtual Clone Drive), but still needs time to get some stability back from 2429.

- BDMV support returns

Known Issues:

- PDVD11 uses two processes to handle BD playback (PowerDVD11.exe = shell, PowerDVD.exe = player) that I've found works best on NVIDIA (GT430, GTX 560Ti) and Intel GPUs (i3-2100T), but I've had some issues on AMD hardware (5550, Zacate) where the video doesn't initiate properly or the PowerDVD.exe process launches underneath PowerDVD11.exe.

- Issues with some remotes in Cinema mode

- 7.1 DTS-MA is down-mixed to 5.1 on analog systems

- Audio output setting (PCM, bit stream, HD bit stream) is not retained after playing content that does not support the configured mode
post #3 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, as posted by someone else in the PDVD 10 thread, one can make it work in classic mode with AMD, if change the compatibility mode to windows 7. I can't get cinema mode to work that way though. Also Cinema mode isn't working with most remotes.

When they can get past those bugs, it appears it works OK though. I haven't tried folders.

I was looking at the Spears test disc last night saw I cannot really adjust the bars on the Dynamic range high, which I've always been able to do. But the thing is I have ATI 11.4 drivers and also PDVD 11 on the computer and nothing else now. Its like the highs are being clipped, but appears to be adjusted OK looking at other test disc's. Plus the adjustments are the same as before I did my system over. So I don't know if its the 11.4 drivers or PDVD 11 causing that.
post #4 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

I was looking at the Spears test disc last night saw I cannot really adjust the bars on the Dynamic range high, which I've always been able to do. But the thing is I have ATI 11.4 drivers and also PDVD 11 on the computer and nothing else now. Its like the highs are being clipped, but appears to be adjusted OK looking at other test disc's. Plus the adjustments are the same as before I did my system over. So I don't know if its the 11.4 drivers or PDVD 11 causing that.

Are you saying that BTB/WTW are clipped? If so, that's usually a function of the video driver; and not really a bad thing as long as the range from 16-235 is maintained.
post #5 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Improvements:

- Having had some more time with PDVD11 my take is that it fixes some issues introduced in the last PDVD10 patch (i.e. AnyDVD and Virtual Clone Drive), but still needs time to get some stability back from 2429.

- BDMV support returns

Known Issues:

- PDVD11 uses two processes to handle BD playback (PowerDVD11.exe = shell, PowerDVD.exe = player) that I've found works best on NVIDIA (GT430, GTX 560Ti) and Intel GPUs (i3-2100T), but I've had some issues on AMD hardware (5550, Zacate) where the video doesn't initiate properly or the PowerDVD.exe process launches underneath PowerDVD11.exe.

- Issues with some remotes in Cinema mode

- 7.1 DTS-MA is down-mixed to 5.1 on analog systems

- Audio output setting (PCM, bit stream, HD bit stream) is not retained after playing content that does not support the configured mode

Sounds like it's not ready to be released yet no? Could you imagine if Windows OS didn't work because you had nvidia or ati gpu's? lol
post #6 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post
Sounds like it's not ready to be released yet no? Could you imagine if Windows OS didn't work because you had nvidia or ati gpu's? lol
Vista?
post #7 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post
Agreed - The bug when using ATI chipset card was introduced in Power DVD 10 - Update 2701 and carried forward into PowerDVD 11. I was the one who found the temporary workaround by setting compatibility mode to Win 7 on the PowerDVD11.exe file.

This is a pretty serious bug that needs to be fixed if they expect me to spend $100 for the software. I am running Trial version currently.
post #8 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 08:41 PM

My remote doesn't work. Apparently they're tracking the issue and are working on a fix....
post #9 of 261 Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Are you saying that BTB/WTW are clipped? If so, that's usually a function of the video driver; and not really a bad thing as long as the range from 16-235 is maintained.
Yes, the WTW appears to be clipped, but not the BTB. I can see it best on the "Dynamic range high" pattern on the Spears disc. I decided to wipe out my HD and start over, after doing certain things trying to get PDVD 11 to work with my ATI graphics card. Plus other things over time in the past.

I saw where PDVD 11 would work with Intel, because I have a Clarksdale board but don't like their 24p issue. I told Cyberlink about it but didn't get a answer.

So, I just reloaded windows 7 with SP1 already installed. Then I was checking some of the patterns and notice cannot no longer adjust the bars as I could before, when using 11.3 AMD drivers and PDVD 10.

But yes, the picture appears to be adjusted correctly anyway.
post #10 of 261 Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Very nasty BD region code protection in PDVD11.

Save as backup both files:

C:\\ProgramData\\CyberLink\\BDNAV\
is.ifo
C:\\ProgramData\\PDVD\\uniqueID.ve2

and these registry keys:

HKCU/Software/Cyberlink/Common/PBRCT
HKLM/Software/Cyberlink/Common/PBIK

If you want to have more changes, restore the files and the registry keys.
post #11 of 261 Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I installed the trial version and it wouldn't work with my MCE remote. PDVD10 decided to stop passing bitstreamed HD audio to my pre/pro for some reason. PDVD11 at least allowed me to bitstream HD audio but PDVD10 doesn't even list it as an audio option anymore when playing back a BD iso. TMT 5 allows me to bitstream HD audio and likes my MCE remote. Guess which program I'll be using?

FWIW, allowing bugs like these to be released with a retail version is completely unacceptable. We're not paying to be beta testers.
post #12 of 261 Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Liked: 14
A little late but, thank you babgvant for starting this thread. prod prod
post #13 of 261 Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

Yes, the WTW appears to be clipped, but not the BTB. I can see it best on the "Dynamic range high" pattern on the Spears disc. I decided to wipe out my HD and start over, after doing certain things trying to get PDVD 11 to work with my ATI graphics card. Plus other things over time in the past.

I saw where PDVD 11 would work with Intel, because I have a Clarksdale board but don't like their 24p issue. I told Cyberlink about it but didn't get a answer.

So, I just reloaded windows 7 with SP1 already installed. Then I was checking some of the patterns and notice cannot no longer adjust the bars as I could before, when using 11.3 AMD drivers and PDVD 10.

But yes, the picture appears to be adjusted correctly anyway.

What is the 24 issue. I cannot get through one movie without it dropping frames sooner or later and have to hit pause and start again to get it to re sync.
post #14 of 261 Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

What is the 24 issue. I cannot get through one movie without it dropping frames sooner or later and have to hit pause and start again to get it to re sync.

Well, I'm not sure my post was clear. What I meant was I had already tried PDVD 11 with my Intel Clarksdale board and it worked in classic mode. But I don't use the graphics with the Clarksdale because it won't do 23.976, only 24hz.

So I use a ATI graphics card so I don't have to see that drop frame about every 40 seconds or so.

I have seen PDVD 10 start stuttering and not stop until hit pause, but just assumed it was something to do with my system. I haven't seen it with PDVD 11.

I assume Cyberlink knows about their AMD driver isssue in classic mode and remote problem in Cinema mode, yet they keep asking me to do silly things in their emails.
post #15 of 261 Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Any updates on the WMC remote fix?
post #16 of 261 Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM

I don't like the way it select audio type when we alternatively watching BD, DVD or from HDD.

Watching 3D BD I have to switch to 2D then go to setting (right click) to select audio then watch DVD and back 3D BD agian I have to do manually audio selection.

Can I make it always bitstream rather than LPCM and the best one that the system supported such as DTS-HD MA not DTS/DD
post #17 of 261 Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Has anyone tried to change the mousewheel-function like in PDVD 7..10?
I think they forgot this option allthough it is described in the manual.

Bernd
post #18 of 261 Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Has anyone purchased this and tested DTCP-IP playback with a Dish Network receiver?
post #19 of 261 Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Has anyone purchased this and tested DTCP-IP playback with a Dish Network receiver?

That's an interesting use case; do you have any docs on what the Dish STB requires? The guy I talked to about the feature said it was intended for the Japanese market, so they might not have tested it w/ that.
post #20 of 261 Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Unfortunately, I don't. I just know it's possible. Blonder Tongue makes a device (The EdgeQAM-400) that will convert the DTCP-IP output of a Vip222 into a QAM signal (protected by Pro:Idiom). Any Pro:Idiom enabled TV will view the station as a QAM channel.

It would definitely make me consider purchasing PDVD 11 and getting Dish though.
post #21 of 261 Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was and still am a big fan of PowerDVD 10. I have had no problems with it (that I couldn't resolve) and have been very impressed with TrueTheatre 2D-to-3D conversion. When I read several reviews saying that this feature had been improved considerably in the new version, I didn't hesitate -- I immediately purchased and installed PowerDVD 11.

Big mistake. So far the only thing PowerDVD 11 does for me is crash Windows 7. Before that happens, my monitor shuts off.

When 3D is enabled, I get a bizarre effect on my display. It's as if half of the 3D image appears in full-screen mode and the other half appears in a resized window in the upper-left corner of my screen. The two halves display in alternating sequence, creating an unwatchable flickering mess. This light show displays for a second or two before my monitor gets turned off, presumably by Windows 7 as a protection mechanism.

I have a custom-built HTPC with a 2.9Ghz processor and an nVidia GTX460, 1G DDR5, i.e. plenty of horsepower.

Two months ago I switched monitors. I went from a Mitsubishi 65" model 737 to a 73" model 738. This change, which I foolishly expected to take five minutes to accomplish, wound up taking many hours to implement because my old 65" set was 3D-ready but my new 73" set was 3D (i.e. no adapter/converter needed on HDMI 1.4 sources). I had to install nVidia 3DTV Play in order to get PowerDVD 10 back in working order, and 3D Vision (which only supports 3D-ready sets) was disabled.

I have a gut feeling about the source of my problem. I suspect that PowerDVD 11 was tested with 3D Vision but not 3DTV Play. I say this because when I installed PowerDVD 11 it caused a change in my monitor settings on reboot. Display switched from 1080P24 (supported by 3DTV Play) to 1080P60 (supported by 3D Vision but not 3DTV Play).

I used system restore to go back to PowerDVD 10, but I'm not a happy camper. I hope Cyberlink gets this new version going fairly soon. In the meantime, I now have a fancy new way to turn off my TV without the remote.
post #22 of 261 Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Hey Guys,

Just figured I'd chime in. I just upgraded from PDVD 10, so far 11 seems vastly more stable.

The 2d to 3d conversion may be a little better, but it's still not good enough to be useable imo.

What do you all think about the TrueVideo stuff? Worth it to use any of it?
post #23 of 261 Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 AM

I will surely upgrade when they support dual projectors..
post #24 of 261 Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
My first go 'round with PowerDVD. Does the trial version support hidef audio bitstream? Because I'm not finding the option -- only PCM and DTS/DD are the available choices as output. I'm running Win7 HP, ATI 5450.

I already have TMT3, which I'm more than satisfied with (no issues with bitstreaming). I was thinking of upgrading to TMT5, but there are problems -- ripped .iso's that play in TMT3 don't always play in TMT5. That's a dealbreaker.

Can't say I really like the GUI of PowerDVD, seems kinda clunky and bloated, but if it plays whatever I throw at it, I could get over it, I suppose. For those of you that also use TMT3, what's your opinion -- is PowerDVD better, same. worse?
post #25 of 261 Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to initiate playback of a Blu-Ray disc or iso and then the option for bitstreaming HD audio will show up in the available settings.
post #26 of 261 Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, found it. Does this have to be done every time I start a BR, or is it remembered?

Problem: when playing, if I choose Movie Details it takes me to the Home screen. When I hit Restart, the program crashes.
post #27 of 261 Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe it keeps the setting unless you use PDVD for playing back some other form of media, like a DVD, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I've never had to reset it since I only use PDVD for BD iso's.
post #28 of 261 Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems to stick ( at least from one iso to another ). But, all in all, I'm not impressed. It constantly crashes, it doesn't support my MCE/Harmony remote, and that GUI is not a thing of beauty. I can't believe Cyberlink wants a hundred bucks for this. Guess I'll be sticking with TMT3.
post #29 of 261 Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I believe it keeps the setting unless you use PDVD for playing back some other form of media, like a DVD, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I've never had to reset it since I only use PDVD for BD iso's.

Yep, as long as you don't play something that doesn't have the configured audio type the setting is persistent.
post #30 of 261 Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I finally resolved the problems with PowerDVD 11 described in my previous posting. A clean install of the just-released Nvidia 275.27 beta driver did the trick. I will admit that the 2D-to-3D conversion is a noticeable improvement over PowerDVD 10, and I thought that conversion was very impressive.

I shall now resume enjoying my home theater PC and have no intention of installing anything else (until Cyberlink releases the Blu-ray 2D-to-3D conversion, and then I'll get on the merry-go-round again).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page