How can I play Full HD SBS 3D MKV files? (3840x1080 resolution) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
PowerDVD automatically detects the 3D file format (MVC, SBS full, SBS half, TAB full, TAB half), decode it, upscaling it (for "half"), then converts and sends L / R 1920x1080 frame sequences (60fps per eye) to the 120Hz display. Select "120Hz Time-sequential 3D LCD" in PowerDVD. I am not sure how Stereoscopic Player works.

The laptop display does not have its own 3D video engine, it can accept only L / R 1920x1080 frame sequences from the graphics card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does it mean when my display "it can accept only L / R 1920x1080 frame sequences from the graphics card"? Does it mean that my laptop's screen cannot play true full SBS and that I'll have to get a separate 3D display in order to play a full SBS file?
post #33 of 42 Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

You need to understand the four stages of delivering 3D contents:

1. Shooting 3D contents.

2. Enncoding 3D video: There are numerous formats such as MVC in BR 3D, Side-by-Side (Half) / Top-and-Bottom in 3D broadcast and 3D video files, Side-by-Side (Full) in 3D video files.

3. Transmitting 3D video from the PC / software player (or a standalone BR 3D player or a cable / satellite TV STB) to the display. The current standards is HDMI 1.4a 3D that includes:

# Frame Packing 1920x1080p 23.98/24Hz (movie contents)
# Frame Packing 1280x720p 50 or 59.94/60Hz (gaming contents)
# Side-by-Side (Half) 1920x1080i 50 or 59.94/60Hz (broadcast contents)
# Top-and-Bottom 1280x720p 50 or 59.94/60Hz (broadcast contents)
# Top-and-Bottom 1920x1080p 23.98/24Hz (broadcast contents)

Other popular formats are:

# Checkerboard for a DLP 3D display
# Alternating L/R frame sequencing for a 120Hz display
# Row-nterleaved for a polarizer 3D display
# Anaglyph

Note that the interface is either HDMI (suffering from bandwidth limitation), DisplayPort, dual-link DVI or VGA.

4. Displaying 3D video in the display.

# Alternate-frame Sequencing paired with active shutter glasses (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc.)
# Interlaced Polarized 3D Display technologies with passive glasses (LG, Visio, Hyundai)
# DLP 3D (Mitsubishi, Samsung)
# 120Hz 3D display (many PC 3D monitors for gaming), that's a variant of the first Alternate-frame Sequencing.

Each display supports only certain input formats (in stage 3)

In your case, the display's 3D technology is 120Hz 3D and the supported input format is 120Hz alternating frame sequencing. So SBS (Full) has to be converted to that format by a software player when the video signals leave from PC for the display. Actually there is no display device that supports SBS (Full) input.
post #34 of 42 Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 AM

Liked: 10
Well, after tons and tons more of research, I think I may have found a solution. For some reason, PowerDVD was warping the video while playing it like a raised line/bump/hill across the screen, so I ditched that. I tried Stereoscopic player, and I liked that it didn't chop off the sides of the videos (unlike PowerDVD, yet another disadvantage). However, I was still dissatisfied with the quality. So I looked into several other players such as VLC, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, XMBC, etc., but none of them could readily play 3D without some reworking.

I was ready to give up until I read about Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, which happened to support 3D. I got a copy, and I tried playing a full SBS file, but it wouldn't play. So I tried the 3D Blu-ray ISO, and it played flawlessly and better-looking than any full-SBS .mkv that I've ever had. I also liked how it retained the menus and all aspects of the blu-ray. It was as if I had popped into a 3D blu-ray player connected to a TV. Immediately upon this discovery, I deleted all of my full SBS files and am just keeping the 3D Blu-ray ISOs. It's just simpler that way. Luckily, I don't mind the file sizes of 30-50GB. I also love the amount of features and the fact that the subtitles aren't messed up like they always were in the full-SBS files.

I think I have solved my issue of wanting the best quality possible. I know, I know. Why not play the 3D Blu-ray then? I should probably clarify that I was researching Full-SBS because of the warping the was occuring in PowerDVD while playing the Blu-Ray. I also couldn't get Stereoscopic player to play the Blu-Ray without squishing the resolution. Now that I have a player that plays 3D Blu-Rays perfectly, I feel satisfied.

Thanks for all the help. I actually learned a lot from your post in addition to all the research I did.
post #35 of 42 Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
How are you guys ripping your 3D ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #36 of 42 Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How are you guys ripping your 3D ?

iso

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #37 of 42 Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #38 of 42 Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

MKV with MakeMKV.

Ok so I ripped My bloody valentine as FSBS-3D. It seems to work in 3D fine, but how would I play this file on my non 3D displays ? Example, I also have a non 3D plasma and my normal PC monitors. Can I play half the file so it looks right, and I don't jave to images side by side ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #39 of 42 Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

How do you rip it (DVDFab?) and how do you play it in 3D (what player)? What 3D format does your 3D display get (Frame packing, Side-by-Side Half etc.)? The player should be able to play it in 2D mode too (e.g. left images to both eyes).
post #40 of 42 Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

How do you rip it (DVDFab?) and how do you play it in 3D (what player)? What 3D format does your 3D display get (Frame packing, Side-by-Side Half etc.)? The player should be able to play it in 2D mode too (e.g. left images to both eyes).

No I'm am asking how to play it on my PC or my non 3D display. I could use any player that's works.

It's SBS. I tried MPC-HC, VLC, WMP etc... They all display the double side by side images on my PC monitor.

I'm just wondering if there is a player or a setting that can allow me to play my 3D MKVs on my non 3D displays.

Or,

Should I keep two copies of the same movie?

I don't always watch stuff in the theater. In fact wife likes living room much more, and I'm always messing on PC so ... Just a curious question. I haven't got a chance to try or really messed around with it much so if the answer is simple -- my apologies smile.gif

-

post #41 of 42 Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

any player

No way. You have to use a 3D player to play SBS(Full) and output 2D. Try Stereoscopic Player (EUR 39).

Or rip with MakeMKM, that will produce a MKV with MVC 3D video stream, that works with any 2D player for 2D image (e.g. MPC-HC+LAV Video Decoder).
post #42 of 42 Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

I've been researching for quite a while and I'm still a bit confused...

"Full HD 3D" Bluray is 3840x1080 resolution (ie. full 1080p for each eye). If you use a Bluray HDMI 1.4 player (or PowerDVD with nVidia GT430, etc) you can play these movies on your TV and get full quality.

You can also rip the 3D Bluray to Half-SBS or Full-SBS. Half-SBS is just 1920x1080 and can play with any player.

Full-SBS is 3840x1080 (the same as the Bluray Full HD 3D).

Can XBMC play these Full-SBS files?

I would think that XBMC only needs to switch to that resolution and output the video to the TV, but HDMI 1.4 might do something differently that would cause this not to work...

You can use Bino3D.
http://bino3d.org/index.html

It has a plugin for XBMC to play 3D via Bino3D, or you can use Bino3D directly.
I'm afraid it doesn't support DXVA but it works on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows

For DXVA you have to use Stereoscopic Player, PowerDVD or TMT.
Quote:

No I'm am asking how to play it on my PC or my non 3D display. I could use any player that's works.

It's SBS. I tried MPC-HC, VLC, WMP etc... They all display the double side by side images on my PC monitor.

I'm just wondering if there is a player or a setting that can allow me to play my 3D MKVs on my non 3D displays.

Or,

Should I keep two copies of the same movie?

I don't always watch stuff in the theater. In fact wife likes living room much more, and I'm always messing on PC so ... Just a curious question. I haven't got a chance to try or really messed around with it much so if the answer is simple -- my apologies smile.gif

FullHD 3D files (SBS or TAB) can only be played by Bino3D, Stereoscopic Player, PowerDVD or TMT because of the frame packing.

All of the above support DXVA except Bino3D - it uses CPU only (I think)

Also, If you have Nvidia VP5 or Intel iGPU Ivy/Haswell you can HW accelerate 3D video files up to 4080 x 4080 for H.264 through DXVA and the appropriate player.
The performance of VP5 is low ~ 30 fps at 4K x 2K, where iGPU can do about 80fps at 4K x 2K.

Intel iGPU supports 4K DXVA acceleration for VC-1/WMV3 too, VP5 is limited to 1080p for VC-1/WMV3.

UPDATE:

I tried the 3D -> 2D option of PotPlayer on a 2880 x 1080 VC-1 file and it worked.

Also all of my TAB 1980 x 2160 H.264 files are displayed in single image using that 3D -> 2D conversion of PotPlayer!

LG BD670 - Pioneer VSX-920 - SONY KDS-55A2000
Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Pentium G3420 - iGPU - v.3621
DXVA Benchmarks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page