Best HTPC keyboard for sofa use: with trackpad or similar - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I realize this is an old thread, original poster must be all set for a while already, but just like me stumbling over here, others might have a look & I thought I would add my 5 cents worth

I've had Adresso WKB-3000UB keyboard w/trackball for over 2 years
A small detail, from day 1 when I move it around, I hear a little something moving around inside, like a loose miniature screw or something similar
The dongle that goes in the computer being full-sized, it's too large to fit on back usb port ( I would need to pull the pc 3 inches forward
RF range is bad, it seems to have transmission issues when in any other position than perpendicular to the pc. & every week, or so, I need to pullout the batteries & re-sync

My setup:
TV: Samsung plasma 59" pn59d550, DVR: Cisco 8642HD, HTPC: Acer Aspire E1-570,
Peachtree audio DAC-iT, Logitech Harmony 650 remote, Logitech MediaBoard Pro Bluetooth k/b
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490, Speakers: Mission m34i + Mission MS10 sub, Nexus 7 2nd gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I have the Logitech K400 keyboard with trackpad & really like it. If you search the forum several other people also like it. It does have a left side mouse button which is handy. It's not a mini style keyboard but it is smaller than a full size one. It has great range - mine will work at least 20 feet from the HTPC, not that I use it at that distance. Retail is $39.99 but is frequently on sale for $29.99 from Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Does the touchpad support Windows 8 gestures, i.e. swiping in from the right to bring up the Charms bar?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 430
The touchpad on a device like this is exactly the same as one on a laptop. So gestures, scrolling, etc. will work fine. FWIW, I find the touchpad/keyboard apps on smartphones and iPads to be far better and cheaper than physical wireless mice/keyboards. All my devices like the 400 are gathering dust since I found Hippo Remote.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The touchpad on a device like this is exactly the same as one on a laptop. So gestures, scrolling, etc. will work fine. FWIW, I find the touchpad/keyboard apps on smartphones and iPads to be far better and cheaper than physical wireless mice/keyboards. All my devices like the 400 are gathering dust since I found Hippo Remote.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of Hippo Remote! I'll definitely try that out. I think a device like the K400 definitely still has utility with Windows 8 though, if it has full support of all the gestures (mostly the edge swipes). From reading reviews, it seems like the only multi-touch gesture implemented by the Vista/7 drivers is scrolling, which would be a disappointment.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hippo Remote...looks like a good product, too bad they don't have an Android version.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Hippo Remote...looks like a good product, too bad they don't have an Android version.
MobileMouse is almost as good and does have an Android version.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

nothing but good things to say about the dinovo mini

If I didn't have to pull the battery out almost every time I want to use it I'd say the same. I read that only the older ones had this problem so I got a new one and it does the same thing. Once it's actually working it's great, good compact size-not too small or too big, great battery life, good range.

I am on my second Dinovo mini, the first one just died after a few months of very light usage. While it was working, I too had to pull the battery out from time to time, and also the touchpad in cursor mode did not work very well (down required me to press very close to the middle rather than on the edge like the other directions).

In any case, nothing else existed on the market when the first one broke (and the store refunded my purchase instead of sending me a replacement), so I got another one. This second one exhibits the exact same symptoms as the first one. I still use it though, because I have not got around to setting up phone/tablet to be the remote.

I also have the enermax wireless keyboard + trackball linked to earlier in this thread. It stays with the dining room HTPC as it is not backlit so is useless in the theater room which is dark when viewing.

Once I have the tablets/phones all working to my satisfaction, then these keyboards will be relegated to backup/troubleshooting duty.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Liked: 11
This is an older thread but I wanted to add my vote for the Logitech DiNovo Mini because the DiNovo Mini is simply that awesome, I have been using it for my HTPC for over 5+ years. I find this keyboard to be exactly what I need for controlling my movies and such from the couch. I highly recommend this keyboard for anyone who wants a small keyboard with mouse to use from the couch for movies, music and other media.
DIY Guy likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like my K400 much better than my old lenovo remote. It doesnt look as cool as some of these ultra small remotes but it is alot more functional and for me the slight increase in size is well worth the comfort and usability.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I recently got the K400 as well. Very nice keyboard, and perfect for doing browser stuff and HTPC maintenance without having to connect the mouse and wired keyboard. Especially when you have multiple computers in the house.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Any bluetooth recomendation keyboard+pointer device? I want to be able to use it with my android and iOS devices as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
DiNovo Mini is bluetooth. I've had mine for 4 years now with no complaints.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 10
Is there anything like the dinovo mini that is still produced?

i love several things about it.

- raised hard keys
- touch pad and keys in easy to reach
- smart backlight
- cover!! how many times you are watching something and the mouse/keyboard get stuck in the sofa pillows and now you are not watching anything... a cover or a on/off physical switch is a must
- bluetooth. no proprietary dongle. have a microsoft arc mouse that broke the usb thing and now the mouse is a paper weight.

the only thing i dislike
- not produced anymore, even worse buying used when it has a proprietary battery inside.
- and rechargeable battery. that is the worst. using HTPC, battery dies, plug in it, stays plugged in!... with my wii mote that i'm using to control the htpc as well i simply get fresh recharged batteries, pop them in, leave the empty ones in the charger, done. i only dislike the wiimote because it does not have a on/off switch, and the B button is extremely easy to trigger when you drop it on the sofa or on a table. damn that B button.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM

Liked: 10

I am looking for a portable keyboard. By searching on web I found RAPOO E9180P Wireless Touch Keyboard. There is a short review available that says it is pretty good. Is this one better to buy or not.

http://forums.techarena.in/reviews/1472971.htm

Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM

Liked: 14
I like the size and simplicity of the FE01 41KOMkxt3AL._SX450_.jpg 19k .jpg file
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboy View Post

Enermax KB008W Aurora Micro Wireless Black Aluminum Brushed Keyboard 2.4GHZ Laser Trackball. I really love this, matches my theatre components.

http://www.enermax.co.uk/produkte/pe...cro-wirel.html

+1 on this, loved the look and feel of it. Unfortunately, one of my wife's "friends", while "house sitting", spilled wine all over it and killed the keyboard. Bought the IO Gear mentioned above to replace, and so far all good. The Enermax was pretty hard to find as not to many places carried it (If New Egg don't carry it, it does NOT exist LOL)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
+1 on the FE01......been using for the past year and it works very well! I can sit on my couch which is 15ft away and control my HTPC with ease. Only negative is it requires line of sight so you can't have anything block the view from the keyboard to the receiver.

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Wow, I am surprised you guys like that FE01.....I hated it.

I really like the Logitech K400.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rob3 View Post

Wow, I am surprised you guys like that FE01.....I hated it.

I really like the Logitech K400.

While I like the K400 on my windows 8 HTPC it is only working line-of-sight for me. My equipment rack is on the back wall and I have to stand up to use the keyboard (will not go through the sofa even though its only 10' away. I was looking for a Bluetooth version but have not found one yet.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes the range on the k400 is poor. But a simple USB extension cable works wonders.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View Post

While I like the K400 on my windows 8 HTPC it is only working line-of-sight for me. My equipment rack is on the back wall and I have to stand up to use the keyboard (will not go through the sofa even though its only 10' away. I was looking for a Bluetooth version but have not found one yet.
Why not get a 2m or so USB extension cable and move the receiver to the top of the rack (or some other point) where you can get line of sight from the couch?