Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear All:

I'm going to permanently hook up a laptop to my media rack and connect its HDMI output to my receiver, and in turn, use my projector and screen as a monitor from time to time. As such, I'll need a keyboard with a built-in navigation trackpad (or similar) so it's a neat, all-in-one keyboard/navigation device. Less to fuss with on a sofa.

I already have a Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000, but I find it's so-called navigation "pad" (which is uber tiny) to be not very responsive and difficult to move precisely.

I'm looking to get the best keyboard with a navigation pad/trackball/other tool all together on one device so I can surf the web from my sofa, or watch some videos from online streaming, or reply to an occasional email during the evening.

May I ask for the best suggestions?

Thanks much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
They all pretty much suck in one way or another. Just keep what you have and add a remote. Might as well get a nice universal remote with the money you save on another keyboard and mouse.

post #3 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I certainly haven't tried many of the available choices, but I like this one quite a lot, enough that I plan to buy another one to go with my new planned HTPC build.

It's the IOGEAR GKM561R Black 2.4GHz Wireless HTPC Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel

http://www.iogear.com/product/GKM561R/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823176018

It's compact, light, and using your thumbs for the track ball on the right side and the mouse buttons and scroll wheel on the left side is quite convenient and easy without trying to balance anything. Unlike trying to use a touchpad with one hand while holding the keyboard with the other, you can use the trackball, scroll wheel and buttons while still holding the keyboard with both hands.

There probably are other better ones, but I happen to like mine.
post #4 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I certainly haven't tried many of the available choices, but I like this one quite a lot, enough that I plan to buy another one to go with my new planned HTPC build.

It's the IOGEAR GKM561R Black 2.4GHz Wireless HTPC Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel

http://www.iogear.com/product/GKM561R/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823176018

It's compact, light, and using your thumbs for the track ball on the right side and the mouse buttons and scroll wheel on the left side is quite convenient and easy without trying to balance anything. Unlike trying to use a touchpad with one hand while holding the keyboard with the other, you can use the trackball, scroll wheel and buttons while still holding the keyboard with both hands.

There probably are other better ones, but I happen to like mine.

+1 I love ours so much, bought 2. Got them from the egg for 39.99 shipped.
post #5 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
nothing but good things to say about the dinovo mini
post #6 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Enermax KB008W Aurora Micro Wireless Black Aluminum Brushed Keyboard 2.4GHZ Laser Trackball. I really love this, matches my theatre components.

http://www.enermax.co.uk/produkte/pe...cro-wirel.html
post #7 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post
nothing but good things to say about the dinovo mini
If I didn't have to pull the battery out almost every time I want to use it I'd say the same. I read that only the older ones had this problem so I got a new one and it does the same thing. Once it's actually working it's great, good compact size-not too small or too big, great battery life, good range.

post #8 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
never had that problem with mine. i had some weird driver issues but after uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, no problems since.
post #9 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dinovo Edge here - great battery life, good range. I primarily use a harmony remote, but very satisfied with the Edge for when I need a keyboard / mouse.
Cetrian likes this.
post #10 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all for your suggestions so far.

I read somewhere that folks have problems with the Logitech diNovo Mini, but far fewer problems with the diNovo (bigger one of the two diNovo keyboards). in general, i've had excellent experience with both Logitech's products as well as their customer service should something go wrong, but as both of these diNovo keyboards have been out since 2008/2009, it's been quite a while so i thought that maybe they are rather dated/old tech? i.e. no Bluetooth 3, etc.

that said, i don't have any experience with the Iogear brand. how well constructed are they? does the trackball have a way to be partially taken apart for cleaning? they frequently get gunky and malfunction if not cleaned. look forward to hearing more about this one, and hopefully/possibly, some other recommendations!

btw, it is worthy to note that my laptop is less of an HTPC but more a laptop that "lives" on the media rack and merely functions as a convenience tool for me to be able to occasionally browse on my sofa/projection screen, and view some videos via online streaming. i don't have any downloaded videos so i will not have a video library to play from.

Thx again.

PS: already in the process of getting an improved universal remote as an upgrade to my current universal remote.
post #11 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

that said, i don't have any experience with the Iogear brand. how well constructed are they?
Iogear is a well established and solid brand. They've been around at least 10 years or so, and make all sorts of peripherals. I think they are based in Caifornia but are part of a Taiwan based company. I've used their KVM switches, USB hubs, and other things and consider them a "name" brand. You see their stuff in all the computer and office supply stores. I think I ordered my keyboard from Amazon.

I haven't really had the need and haven't checked yet how to clean the trackball. But the keyboard is solid. When I first got it, I was disappointed because the trackball seemed rough in its movement, but it was only a day or two before it smoothed out and now works great. It takes a little bit of getting used to the movement of the small trackball (much smaller than, for example, the standard Logitech desktop trackball device) but I find it easy to use.
post #12 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Shield-SILVER-.../dp/B0034QJHTC

It works great, has some basic media center keys for Stop, FF, RW, and play/pause... and is the only keyboard I've ever seen with a "Dishwasher Safe" sticker on the box...

PSN: Nada_BDK
post #13 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM

I'm a fan of the Rii Mini 2.4ghz. It's the size of a normal remote control and works really well from <10 feet. If you have a big room, you may have issues, certainly not the 30 meters they advertise...
post #14 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Liked: 14
Has anybody tried the Zoomtel ZDTV 9005 keyboard? It only has one review at Amazon, as opposed to over three hundred for the IOgear unit, but the reviewer liked it a lot.
post #15 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM

I have a logitech Harmony remote, but for keyboard/mouse I use a Logitech S510 combo and it works great.

The mouse will pick up off the microfiber couch just fine, so I use the couch cushion as a mousepad, it works perfectly.
post #16 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
No votes for the Lenovo RF?

At $27 it gets the job done pretty inexpensively for a RF remote/trackball/keyboard.
post #17 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post
Dinovo Edge here - great battery life, good range. I primarily use a harmony remote, but very satisfied with the Edge for when I need a keyboard / mouse.
I second this vote.

Dinovo Edge and 1100 Harmony for all else.
post #18 of 81 Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

I second this vote.

Dinovo Edge and 1100 Harmony for all else.

Third this vote. The Dinovo is great... plus it's bluetooth, so the range is decent. I couldn't afford the Dinovo, but know quite a few people that have it and love it.

Instead of going with the Dinovo, I went with the Logitech PS3 Mediaboard Pro. I had a bluetooth dongle laying around, and it synced up perfectly on Windows 7. It has a mouse pad built in, and the keyboard is fairly solid. Plus at 60 bucks, you really can't beat the functionality.
post #19 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM

I been using the Adesso wkb-3200ub.

http://www.amazon.com/2-4GHZ-Multime...4692562&sr=8-2

It's very easy to use keyboard nearly full size, media keys and numpad. I really like the location of all of the buttons and even my GF was able to pick it up and know how to use it right away. I tried those mini keyboards and they don't work for me. I'm so use to a full size that it really slows down my typing. Works out of the box like a wired keyboard would. I want to try out the dinovo edge but the price is so high.
post #20 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Liked: 13
Unless you plan to type up a doctoral dissertation on your HTPC, you will not be doing much "typing".

You will be doing a LOT of pointing and clicking. For me its almost 98% pointing and clicking and 2% typing. So if you get a KB+mouse combo you are cradling the weight of the KB 100% of the time but using it only 2% of the time.

I know this, because I have a separate mouse (Gyration) and KB (also Gyration) and I rarely reach for the KB (its got a lot of dust on it).

So think about your specific needs and then invest in the right product.
post #21 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

Unless you plan to type up a doctoral dissertation on your HTPC, you will not be doing much "typing".

You will be doing a LOT of pointing and clicking. For me its almost 98% pointing and clicking and 2% typing. So if you get a KB+mouse combo you are cradling the weight of the KB 100% of the time but using it only 2% of the time.

I know this, because I have a separate mouse (Gyration) and KB (also Gyration) and I rarely reach for the KB (its got a lot of dust on it).

So think about your specific needs and then invest in the right product.

I think I'm more the opposite, there's actually absolutely no need for a mouse during normal use and keyboard is just used for searching for titles. About the only time I need the mouse is for the desktop side for maintenance, updates, etc. I have been having to pick it up quite often now because SA tends to get stuck at 100% while scanning so I have to kill the scans when this happens, besides hitting the windows/start key is all mouse.

post #22 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

At $27 it gets the job done pretty inexpensively for a RF remote/trackball/keyboard.

Is that the one shaped like a paddle?

Does that work pretty well? It looks pretty interesting. Basically, I like having a keyboard rather than a remote because I like to be able to type in searches and URLs. I'm not using it to type anything longer than a line. That Lenovo looks like the keyboard is functional enough for what I need, yet it's small and handy. How well does the trackball work?

Thanks.

Can you tell me where you found it for $27? I think it's more like $40 on Amazon and $60 at Newegg, if I'm looking at the same thing to which you are referring.
post #23 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

I think I'm more the opposite, there's actually absolutely no need for a mouse during normal use and keyboard is just used for searching for titles. About the only time I need the mouse is for the desktop side for maintenance, updates, etc. I have been having to pick it up quite often now because SA tends to get stuck at 100% while scanning so I have to kill the scans when this happens, besides hitting the windows/start key is all mouse.

I have pretty much zero need for either a mouse or keyboard. I use my remote when accessing media center. Anything else I use a remote desktop connection from my laptop. Surfing the internet... laptop.

post #24 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Lenovo Wireless Keyboard N5901 + Logitech MX Air.
post #25 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I have the Lenovo and I think it's great. Nice range and quick response. I just wish it was backlit.
post #26 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thx again for all the valuable posts/advice.

I ordered the Iogear 581. Reasons include:

- extra mouse buttons on the front left and front right (can't see from the top)

- mouse buttons also on the left top surface as redundant buttons

- ergonomically thought out for "on the lap" use due to its curved under side (double curves for legs)

- claimed 33 feet range, probably more like 15-foot range

- optical trackball

- Iogear seem to produce these types of keyboards as a specialty of theirs or at least a sub-specialty, so this "space" or this market means something to them

- possible to flip a switch and dedicated one of the several redundant mouse left click bottons to be "double left click"

- NiMH

Cons: likely limited range; fugly shape (oval = weird)
post #27 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 PM

I was thinking the same as the initial post... wireless keyboard with mouse/trackball but I want to add another criteria, backlighting.
If the iogear was lighted it would be perfect.
Is the Logitech diNovo the best out there? I like it but $$
post #28 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Liked: 15
Late I guess, but I got a diNovo mini, right in front of me this very moment, works like a clock. I also have the diNovo Bluetooth suite: keyboard, media pad, mouse for times when I need more extensive typing/mousing on the HTPC. All of them use same bluetooth USB dongle.

One thing I noticed: when dongle was plugged into back of the PC, connection was horrid, nothing worked right. Then, I used a USB extension cable to elevate the dongle and affixed it to the side of the entertainment center. Now everything works with no issues.
post #29 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM

There is NOTHING better than a DiNovo Mini keyboard for a media center pc (HTPC). I'm a firm believer in saving money when you can, but this LINKS you to your media center - and its worth every single penny........ PERIOD.

And that big circle on the right side is either a touch sensitive track pad or a 5 way arrow key circle. either switched or momentary by holding function.

Mitsu WD82738 DLP TV
Media Center PC HDMI@1080p
Moto 6412-III HD-DVR
Yam RXA3000 & Atlantic Tech speakers
post #30 of 81 Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araltd View Post

There is NOTHING better than a DiNovo Mini keyboard for a media center pc (HTPC). I'm a firm believer in saving money when you can, but this LINKS you to your media center - and its worth every single penny........ PERIOD.

And that big circle on the right side is either a touch sensitive track pad or a 5 way arrow key circle. either switched or momentary by holding function.

I agree, the mini dinovo is the sh*t. It's very well made, looks cool, rechargeable, precise mousepad, etc. I've been really amazed when I've read a few posts on here saying people thought they were crappy. I think that there are some duds that have been made.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page