Let's set this straight - No one can do 24p consistently well - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1286 Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any information about the same issue running a HTPC in Linux with say XBMC or Boxee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1286 Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Exactly.

People with 24p issues should give reclock a try.

I have tried reclock but to be honest documentation setting it up is scarce. I have no idea if it is engaged with my player ( what players does it work with ) and if so is it doing anything, I still get the same frame drops. How do you tell. Is there any thorough or detailed on-line manual for this. Thank you.
post #93 of 1286 Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I have tried reclock but to be honest documentation setting it up is scarce. I have no idea if it is engaged with my player ( what players does it work with ) and if so is it doing anything, I still get the same frame drops. How do you tell. Is there any thorough or detailed on-line manual for this. Thank you.

There is a readme file in the install directory with setup details.
post #94 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Alan,

When Reclock is installed and running, an icon will appear in the bottom right of your screen near the windows clock. It will be a color - you are looking for the Icon to go green. When it is green, you will have sync between your audio, video and clock speed.

There was a guide at one time but I can't find it. Try these settings (leave everything else as it is):

AUDIO SETTINGS:

PCM: WASAPI Exclusive
Bitstream: WASAPI Exclusive
Format: 24 Bit Int Padded to 32 (and check 16 bit integer for 16 bit sources)

You can try checking "Enable Bitstream" and then bitstreaming. Some people like it.

ADVANCED: If you want to limit Reclock to certain programs you can use the "only load reclock . . . " setting and then locate the executable of the program that you want to use.

You can leave everything else at default.

Then, in whatever program you are using, you want to output uncompressed PCM audio. In other words, the player will decode the audio bitstream and output it to reclock unmolested.

Let me know how it goes.

Affable Nitwit
post #95 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

Alan,

When Reclock is installed and running, an icon will appear in the bottom right of your screen near the windows clock. It will be a color - you are looking for the Icon to go green. When it is green, you will have sync between your audio, video and clock speed.

There was a guide at one time but I can't find it. Try these settings (leave everything else as it is):

AUDIO SETTINGS:

PCM: WASAPI Exclusive
Bitstream: WASAPI Exclusive
Format: 24 Bit Int Padded to 32 (and check 16 bit integer for 16 bit sources)

You can try checking "Enable Bitstream" and then bitstreaming. Some people like it.

ADVANCED: If you want to limit Reclock to certain programs you can use the "only load reclock . . . " setting and then locate the executable of the program that you want to use.

You can leave everything else at default.

Then, in whatever program you are using, you want to output uncompressed PCM audio. In other words, the player will decode the audio bitstream and output it to reclock unmolested.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you I will give these settings a try. What player and version are you running. I have never seen the green icon appear so I am guessing it does not work with my players. One of the frustrations.
post #96 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Does this mean reclock allows to bitstream? I was always under the impression that one would have to give this up: i.e. either get this shiny "TrueHD" logo show up in the AVR display (w/o reclock) or get perfectly sync'ed audio/video and something like 'multi PCM' (w/ reclock)

____
Axel

post #97 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you I will give these settings a try. What player and version are you running. I have never seen the green icon appear so I am guessing it does not work with my players. One of the frustrations.

I have used Reclock with Arcsoft TMT3 and TMT5.

Affable Nitwit
post #98 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Does this mean reclock allows to bitstream? I was always under the impression that one would have to give this up: i.e. either get this shiny "TrueHD" logo show up in the AVR display (w/o reclock) or get perfectly sync'ed audio/video and something like 'multi PCM' (w/ reclock)

____
Axel

You can but you wil probably experience some out of sync audio or some other kind of issue. The best thing to do is not to bitstream.

Affable Nitwit
post #99 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

____
Axel

Bitstream, use recloclk only for lpcm, and setup a custom res

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #100 of 1286 Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

You can but you wil probably experience some out of sync audio or some other kind of issue. The best thing to do is not to bitstream.

I haven't heard any sync issues bitstreaming with Reclock (from reading around). I believe many folks use it to get WASAPI exclusive for PCM and still get bitstreaming with HD Audio

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #101 of 1286 Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Hi all,

A noob question from, well, a noob.

I've been looking into buying or building a fanless HTPC to replace my current Acer R3610 (it's a nice box but I find the fan noise very distracting and the lack of decent hardware acceleration for HD content via iTunes is a problem).

I found some systems by "Tranquil PC" which, with the optional freesat tuner card, tick all my boxes. However, in doing some research on the system specs, I found a mention of the 24fps issue in an Anandtech article and so have been digging around the forums here for more information on this and what it is likely to mean for me. And that is where I'm struggling.

Am I right in thinking that the issue pertains to trying to match the output from the HTPC to the TV screen refresh rate? If so then what does that mean when using a 60hz refresh rate (which is what I use at present)?

In principle the idea of a frame being repeated every 40 seconds or so sounds like a major problem but in practice I don't know whether it is actually something I already have and am happily oblivious to.

I realise that this may be tantamount to heresy for some but I've been running my Acer at the 60hz refresh rate since I set it up and have never noticed a problem with my assorted DVD and Blu-Ray rips. Equally, I don't want to spend around £1,200 on a box that only has one expansion slot and which may leave me having to choose between the freesat tuner or a separate graphics card.

From everything I've seen, it is clearly an issue for some people. My question though is that for the average user, is this likely to be a problem that is going to ruin the HTPC experience?

Grateful for your views,
Guy
post #102 of 1286 Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronda View Post

Am I right in thinking that the issue pertains to trying to match the output from the HTPC to the TV screen refresh rate? If so then what does that mean when using a 60hz refresh rate (which is what I use at present)?

That is indeed the crux of the issue - however (and I can't say this for sure but...) if you've managed to go this long running at 60Hz without noticing it, then you probably won't notice it going forward. Don't go looking for it, at least.

I too have a Revo 3610 and I always change the refresh rate to match content otuput otherwise I notice the jumps. These things are very subjective though, and can vary depending on specifics of your other hardware.
post #103 of 1286 Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I started a different thread, then found this one. Figured I'd ask here.

I expect one of you PC gurus will know:

I have a new SandyBridge based HTPC. I'm using Intels DH67GD Motherboard, i5 2400S CPU. I understood it would do 23.96x output if you disabled UAC. Running W764.

I have UAC disabled, have rebooted. My Video Processor (Lumagen) still reports the PC output as 24.0hz.

What do I have to do to get the PC to output 23.96x?

I am using TMT5 invoked from MyMovies.
post #104 of 1286 Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Heres this screenshot of me watching the movie "23" (fitting title) Im watching it with MPC HC with VMR renderer. the movie is 23.976 native and i am watching it at 23.976 consistently. Youll notice I am using a Nvidia GTX 460. I tried getting a screenshot with madvr renderer but it kept turning out black. With MadVr I get consistent 23.9755 wich is 5/10,000 0ff. By comparison intel is 23.971 wich is 50/10,000 off and if you only get 24hz it would be 240/10,000 off. For some reason though my osd on madvr constantly alternates saying i have a repeated frame every 50 seconds to 1.2 hours. My framerate remains steady this whole time so it should be a repeated frame every 20 min(somthing like that). With 24hz you get a repeated frame every 40 seconds. Im using a custom res of 24hz with 23.977 timings.I Tried both 23 and 24 hz with timings of 23.977 or 23.978 on both those refresh rates before finding the perfect res.
LL

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #105 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw View Post

However, I would really like to know the REAL WORLD effects of these frame rates. In other words, it seems like being off by 2 or 3 or 4 one thousanths of a second would not really affet the picture much. For myself, although I do not look for skipped frames or slight pauses, I never see them when playing back video at either 59.9~ (59hz) or 23.9~ (23hz).

So I am just trying to figure out what everyone else sees . . .

BTW, I finally realized the REAL WORLD effects of this Intel 24P bug can be HUGE!

This bug is the cause for what I thought were unrelated problems with my frame creation and with lip-sync.

My Panasonic projector has 3 frame creation modes the best mode I eventually had to stop using becuase I thought it was flawed do the random video glitches, but not be 23.976 was the real problem and cause big glitches every 41 secs..after wasting my time and money getting a new Sandy bridge i3-2100 the glitches were still there, now every 4 minutes...

2ND BIG problem, Lip-sync, it was never correct, would carefully set the delay in my receiver, getting looking correct, watch a few minutes then screwed again! Well it was this same Intel 24P problem, every 4 minutes it would progressively get worse then drop a frame and snap back to the original delay, can't believe I wasted so much time trying to figure out what was wrong!!

Got a AMD video card in the mail now! Don't use Intel video if you plan to play 24P Blu-ray until, they fix it. ALSO, what seems like an unrelated issue may actually stem from the clock not being correct.....beware..
post #106 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
post #107 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
After some testing (a bit more extensive than usual), I think Intel has solved the 24p issue with Sandy Bridge (driver version 2372). No more UAC disabling or lip-sync errors (at least while bitstreaming HD audio).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #108 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

After some testing (a bit more extensive than usual), I think Intel has solved the 24p issue with Sandy Bridge (driver version 2372). No more UAC disabling or lip-sync errors (at least while bitstreaming HD audio).

Is the new driver out now?
post #109 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

When will your review be available?

I look forward to it.

Thanks.
post #110 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #111 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just in time for llano.

Coincidence?

Unlikely a coincidence, but it is long overdue. It is good news.

Bazinga!

post #112 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Liked: 20
It's funny how thousandths of a second can cause so much angst.

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

post #113 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post

I agree. Its 1 missed frame in every 1000.

But soon it will be a moot point.
post #114 of 1286 Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Please elaborate. Or point us to where someone did !!!
post #115 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
We're so close to having something that is perfect, but falling just short.

Hypothetically, if everything was sped up from 23.976 to 24.000 fps with zero dropped or duplicated frames and stayed in perfect lip sync, I don't think that anybody would notice the difference.

It is not just a few thousandths of a second that are a problem, but the cumulative effect. When playing 23.976 fps material at 24.000, most of the frames are displayed for 41.6 ms, but every once in a while one frame is duplicated and shown for 83.3 ms. That is nearly 1/10th of a second, and it can stick out like a sore thumb.

Bazinga!

post #116 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
On some movies I am seeing this stutter and seeing/hearing the audio get out of sync with the video after about 5 minutes or so. I was using LAV and then did a Shark007 installation to try to fix it with no change so I went back to LAV and un-installed Shark.

Now I am wondering if it is actually the integrated GPU in my i3-550 that is causing this. Before doing a fresh re-install I was considering testing with a video card that I have available to use. It is an MSI R4870-T2D1G Radeon HD 4870. Does this card have what it takes to test this or do I need something else?

post #117 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes the flaw may be your i3, Sandy bridge chips are closer, AV glitches every 4-5 minutes now...

I might be able to live with a video glitch every 5 minutes but it causes lip-sync to vary every frickin 5 minutes...

If after a video glitch (frame repeat) you quickly get the lip-sync perfect, it immediately starts getting worse and worse until just before the next 5 minute video glitch it's off by 42ms, the frame repeats then lip-sync snaps back to perfect again, this repeats every frickin 5 minutes, so basically your lip-sync is all over the place the entire movie!!

I have not had success with Slysoft's reclock as I want to bitstream and haven't figured it out as yet.

Also a very quick look at Sandy Bridge (driver version 2372) did not fix anything for me, only checked it out a few minutes so still holding on to hope..
post #118 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Where did you procure the driver? I checked intel's site about an hour ago and it still was the April version.

post #119 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Is this 24p bug only a problem with Blu-ray and/or an HTPC?

If I play a standard DVD or Blu-ray disc on a DVD or Blu-ray player, is the player automatically suppose to figure out what needs to be done and then output a proper signal?

My Sony HDTV has a setting called CineMotion. According to the manual it uses reverse 3-2 pulldown technology to provide a smoother picture movement when playing back movies or other video sources on film. This can be set to Auto or Off, but how do I know what the DVD or Blu-ray or player is outputting? 23.976 fps, 24 fps or 29.97 fps?

Let's say the DVD is 23.976 or 24 fps and the player utilizes the 3:2 pulldown flag. If I have the TV's CineMotion set to Auto does it undo the flag that the player set?
post #120 of 1286 Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Where did you procure the driver? I checked intel's site about an hour ago and it still was the April version.

go to Gigabyte website and check in GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3
look for Intel VGA Drivers
the latest intel driver are there
2418 from June 22 2011

the BSOD at boot is now fixed

i just finish a HTPC and no problem on my TV but when i tried on another TV,
BSOD, mine is a Samsng PN50C8000 and the one with BSOD is PN58C8000
same reciever (onkyo 608) same HDMI cable, only the tv
install 2219 driver and fixed, reinstall 2361 BSOD, go to Gigabyte Website and saw the new drivers, try it and no more BSOD
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page